Anyone else have this sound?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 10:07 AM
Money is funny.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone else have this sound?

Just got my car back recently and I notice there is a faint metal to metal scraping oise everytime I brake now. It is the same sound as if the brake pad was new and grinding up against the rotor as if it was too tight, but my brakes are fine and everything else I can see is fine as far as the caliper, the rims, and the pads themselves...anywhere else I should inspect for a metal squealing while braking?
Old 05-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
Just got my car back recently and I notice there is a faint metal to metal scraping oise everytime I brake now. It is the same sound as if the brake pad was new and grinding up against the rotor as if it was too tight, but my brakes are fine and everything else I can see is fine as far as the caliper, the rims, and the pads themselves...anywhere else I should inspect for a metal squealing while braking?
Are you sure that there is enough material left on the pad on all sides, front and rear? See if the metal tab on the back of the pad is bent and is rubbing against the rotor. Maybe something got in between the pad and rotor.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
You said you just got your car back. Did you get it back from changing your pads? I had this noise too. Well, my rotors were warped, so then I had them resurface my rotors and change the pads. It was fine for the first day, then I heard noises taht you describe as if the pads were rubbing against the rotors without me stepping on the brakes. I only noticed this when I'm almost coming to a stop though. So only at low speeds. I took it back to another mechanic and he resurfaced the rotors again, then it was fine.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 PM
Money is funny.

excelerate, yeah, there's plenty of pad left on all four of them...maybe something did get stuck in between, but i thought after a few miles whatever was caught would have been dislodged...maybe not...

mytaliza, i got it back from the ody shop, but they didn't touch the brakes. You say you got that noise from warped rotors? Good to know...they feel a little warped, but I never heard noises from warped rotors like that before...maybe it's more warped than it's ever been...luckily I have an extra pair for the front so I will swap those out and see if the sound goes away...I hope that's all there is to it...did your pads wear unevenly a a result? I'm wondering if I should swap out pads AND rotors...just in case they are not even...or should I not even bother?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:06 PM
Racer

I have that same problem. So you are saying that I just need to resurface my rotors? By the way, I only have 27k on my acura, so I don't think my rotors are warped, but I might be wrong. I do hear that sound like something is rubbing against my rotors and its not even constant rubbing. It rubs and stops, rubs and stops...well you get the idea. I thought something was stuck in between rotors and the break pads. But unless I am wrong, it would of crashed anything that is between rotors and break pads.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Money is funny.

Originally Posted by Muhtish
I have that same problem. So you are saying that I just need to resurface my rotors? By the way, I only have 27k on my acura, so I don't think my rotors are warped, but I might be wrong. I do hear that sound like something is rubbing against my rotors and its not even constant rubbing. It rubs and stops, rubs and stops...well you get the idea. I thought something was stuck in between rotors and the break pads. But unless I am wrong, it would of crashed anything that is between rotors and break pads.
yeah i thought if there was anything caught, perhaps the braking wuold have moothed it out or knocked it loose by now, but the sound is still there...also, the warped rotors can happen at any mileage if you are rough with your braking...at about 36k I had warped rotors for the first time, but it was due to my slamming of the brakes in rush hour. Since my brakes and rotors were already hot, I KNOW that had a lot to do with the warpage.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
i dont know if my pads were uneven as a result of that because i changed out my pads at the same time. Did you guys only notice this noise at low speeds like mine?
Old 05-09-2007, 12:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
when in doubt- pull a wheel and inspect the brakes.
Not just look at them thru the rim or base on mileage that they must be ok
Noises are there to indicate a problem
Front brakes on FWD cars go out in 25-40 k miles on average
Old 05-09-2007, 01:05 PM
Money is funny.

taliza, i actually notice it whenever I hit the brake, doesn't matter what speed. And if listen REAL closely, I can actually hear it driving around at any speed, but you REALLY have to be in a quiet area with windows down, no music, and no other traffi to hear it...

01tl4tl, based on what you said, my brakes should be fine, less than 10k I replaced all four...I took off the two passenger side wheels as that is whre the sound is coming from...but i may go home and do it to all four just in case...