Anyone cracked Honda's lube code yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2002, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone cracked Honda's lube code yet?

Guys, I am not about to add anything to my baby that would hurt it but has anyone found out that there is a substitute for Honda spec fluids and lubes? Why do they monopolize the market like this? Except for motor oil, we have to use power steering, tranny, and antifreeze of their manufacture. I guess for now the best we can do is to try and find a good deal on what they have made for them through vendors such as this place. I appreciate the good deals we get here...could fluids be an item too? QuickRick
Old 01-14-2002, 03:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Well, I use Mobil1 Synthetic (although I'll be switching to Redline next change).

You can also use Redline for ATF and PS fluids. As for anti-freeze, I have Prestone in mine. The only reason they tell you to use Honda is b/c it's mixed 50% antifreeze and 50% water. I did that myself... wasn't hard.
Old 01-14-2002, 05:57 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
No, no, no, no no!

I guess some consider bad advice better than keeping their peace.

First, RedLine does not recommend its ATF (they actually make a number of them BTW) for Hondas. Period.

Next, Honda recommends a coolant that is free of silicates, which act as tiny rocks and erode cylinder heads, water jacket passages, and water pump impellers. I have seen Honda's engineering studies, and the erosive effects (from an engineer at an SAE convention). Honda should be applauded for this, not acused of some heresy. GM and others have jumped on the wagon with Dex-Cool and others which are free of silicates, and which are also approved by Honda for use in their cars.

As to Honda's recomendations for PS fluid, what is the gripe? They formulate something with the optimum lube and additives to keep the system from wearing, leaking, and to ensure the power assist performs as designed. What in God's name is wrong with that? What in addition to that would you expect to get from something else? And, even the most finicoky gripers on the Forum have never posted "I hate Acura - my PS system failed again".

Use what you will, boar mucous is always a good alternate, but as for me "Give me Honda approved fluids, or give me Beth".
Old 01-14-2002, 06:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean
Well, I use Mobil1 Synthetic (although I'll be switching to Redline next change).

You can also use Redline for ATF and PS fluids. As for anti-freeze, I have Prestone in mine. The only reason they tell you to use Honda is b/c it's mixed 50% antifreeze and 50% water. I did that myself... wasn't hard.
Juniorbean, I'm not so sure if we can use Redline ATF fluid on our cars. I personally spoke with Redline regarding this issue because some members have posted how RL ATF isn't recommended to use on Honda/Acura autos. Low and behold, thats what Redline told me themselves, use only Honda ATF fluids.

I also remember Road Rage mentioning to use the Honda brake fluid (I think) when changing the fluid in the ABS unit. As for power steering fluid, I don't recall any mention of that in the past.

Aside from the Redline oil in my car, I think I'll use Honda fluids for everything else.
Old 01-14-2002, 06:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oops, I see you type faster than me RR
Old 01-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
As always RR is the man, follow his advice and you cant go wrong.
I only use Honda ATF and PS fluid, and Prestone extended life antifreeze (looks orange & its silicate and borate free) on my Honda/Acura's.

I USED to use Mobil 1 ATF in my Accord when Honda ATF was recommended and not required, but that has now changed, its now a requirement for the newer cars, and I for one wont queation their advice to whats best for their trannies, and PS system.
Old 01-14-2002, 10:23 PM
Racer

Hey Road Rage, you seem to be a pretty savvy engineer. I was wondering if you might know what's up with the busted trannies. You seem to be one of the most technical people on the forum; so, I thought I would ask. btw I have a Bachelor's in Engineering myself.
Old 01-15-2002, 02:02 AM
Banned

mawaru:

"Hey Road Rage, you seem to be a pretty savvy engineer. I was wondering if you might know what's up with the busted trannies. You seem to be one of the most technical people on the forum; so, I thought I would ask. btw I have a Bachelor's in Engineering myself."

Actually he's just good with his...uh...fluids

Ah the engineers emerge from the woodwork (says Austin519 from his loft Comp. Eng./Comp. Sci. perch)

Austin519
Old 01-15-2002, 08:21 AM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Not enough info to do it...

You guys are very kind...but I am afraid there simply is not enough info on the trannies to make a judgement. I do have a contact at Honda engineering but I do not like to use up my markers. I might check though.

Most of the tranny stuff is anecdotal (really all of it).

And my experience has been completely the opposite - 3 TL's, no tranny problems at all.

A proper engineering analysis would have to include a l;ot of info we do not have:

1) Number of failures as a % of total transmissions in service
2) Miles between failures (or mean time between failures)
3) Service conditions (ambient temps, service history, etc)
4) Industry failure rates as a comparative data input
5) Honda engineering studies during prototype testing
6) Honda engineering analysis of failed transmissions: were they mechanical, electrical, servo or solenoid, etc.) Or abused, adulterants in fluid, damage during installation, etc.

It is so important to make a distinction between a DESIGN flaw, and an EXECUTION flaw.

I say the jury is still out on this one.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:17 AM
Iconoclast

With all the engineers here would it be a good time to bring up that I know a lot of Microsoft Certified "Engineers".

FLL "I'm not an engineer but play one on the computer" Type-S