Another newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 10:04 PM

Talking Another newbie

I have been looking and reading and researching since last August and today I pulled the trigger on a 2001 Naples Gold w/o Nav. I think I got the "standard" discounted deal that is being offered now for those that know to ask for it:

Selling price 26,119
Destination 480
Registration 371
Doc 42
Sales tax 1,621

Total driveout $28,633 (or so I thought)

Then after much discussion and consternation the following was added (here comes the dealer profit, I know):

7/100K Extended Warranty and Mechanical coverage (AIG group) $916

Full 6 year car care maintenance plan every 3,750 miles covering oil changes and all factory recommended services $600

Lo Jack $595

Total final driveout $30,744

I have 30 to 60 days to cancel the addons and get a full refund so here are my questions for which I would appreciate your wise advice.

The extended warranty price is in line with what I have read in threads here and elsewhere ($875 or so and up). My policy includes all bumper to bumper coverage for up to 7 years and 100K miles plus rental car, towing, travel breakdown, etc and is backed by the AIG group. Does anyone have any experience with this policy or recommendations as to whether to cancel or keep it?

The car care maintenance plan in my opinion was basically a prepaid oil change plan at 4 times a year for $25 a pop. Plus free standard maintenance on lubes and other fluids and wheel rotations. Any thoughts?

Lo Jack. Hmmm. I read the recommendations for the Clifford system on this site and I dont have any experience with Lo Jack. I live outside Atlanta in suburbia and auto theft up here is not high. I probably got ripped off on the price of this. Go ahead and tell me why this was a mistake. Ive got a gut feeling it was and I think I can cancel it.

I want to thank all of you for your valuable posts and information here. Maybe over time I can contribute something of value. Anyone need some tax or financial advice?
Old 03-10-2001, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats and welcome aboard. I personally got the lojack system. Never had it before either but have heard good things about it. Besides, I'd rather have lojack than an alarm (just a better sense of security). No one pays attention to those anyways and professional car thiefs will still steal your car if they want it. As for the extended warranty, I'm not a big fan, therefore, I never get them when I buy a new car. The maintanence plan doesn't sound to bad but you might want to negotiate a better price. I do all that type of work myself. Just don't trust anyone else with my car. Anyways, congrats again and best of luck with it.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver TL
- Factory Rear Wing
- Factory Body Kit
- Factory Wood Kit
- Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-10-2001, 10:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Props on the new ride and welcome! I am not a big fan of extended warranties either. Most cars, unless a lemon, will not really experience big problems until past 100,000 miles -- that is, if taken proper care of (plus, you have a highly reliable car). Just depends how much peace of mind you get out it. This is just what I have gathered from many other people's experiences with extended warranties. I am sure the seasoned members on this board will have much more to add. Lo-Jack is good, but I highly reccomend getting some type of visual deterant as well.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Polyman on March 10, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-12-2001, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Welcome to the board! I would get rid of the extended warranty. I never have much use for that.

------------------
Patrick Lee
2001 Acura TL
Sitting in my room-WW kit and spoiler
Old 03-12-2001, 08:33 AM

I pretty much tell the dealer to bite me when they start spouting off about extended warranties, supplemental insurance for the loan, protection packages, blah, blah, blah...

The 2 local dealers (Jeep and Acura) I buy from all the time now know to not even mention that stuff...
Old 03-12-2001, 08:53 AM
Racer

I didn't get any crap that the dealer try to add on.

Lojack, why? Whoever got Lojack just waste their money I think. Lojack don't prevent your car from being broken into, and if they break in and try to steal it, it's not going to go anywhere with acura imobilizer. I don't think you would ever need to use lojack.

------------------

2001 3.2TL with Nav
Satin Silver Metallic
Factory Rear Wing Spoiler
Old 03-12-2001, 09:21 AM
Instructor

Guess you don't live around Newark, NJ... the #1 place for stolen vehicles. mostly stolen by professionals who take them to chop shops for the parts. either that or they'll take them to the port to ship the cars overseas. Lojack won't prevent them from taking the car but it'll sure help find the car. most professional theives leave the car in an abandoned lot for a day or so to see if that car has a tracking device. if not you'll never see the car again. sorry for the rant, but I happen to beleive that it's a good system...at least in theory.

Originally posted by thaitea:
I didn't get any crap that the dealer try to add on.

Lojack, why? Whoever got Lojack just waste their money I think. Lojack don't prevent your car from being broken into, and if they break in and try to steal it, it's not going to go anywhere with acura imobilizer. I don't think you would ever need to use lojack.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver TL
- Factory Rear Wing
- Factory Body Kit
- Factory Wood Kit
- Burlwood Shift Knob
Old 03-12-2001, 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Forget about the Lojack get a Clifford for just about that price. With the Clifford you get built-in (BLACKJAX) anticarjacking features. The immobilizer system can't stop a carjacker but the (BLACKJAX) in the Clifford will stop the car if they have the key.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-13-2001, 01:01 AM

Thumbs up

Well since it was Monday I had a chance to do a little more research and to talk to my insurance agent. Here is what I found:

1. Extended Warranty is through Fidelity Warranty and I found several posts on the net complaining about their non-payment. That and consideration for the reliability of the Acura product made me decide to cancel it.

2. Insurance agent (State Farm) said they did a nationwide study and found that only 2% of cars stolen with Lo Jack were recovered and that this number is skewed upward due to cities like El Paso that dedicate forces of police to recover cars before hitting the border. He HIGHLY recommended dropping it. So I will.

Thanks for everyones comments. This is a friendly place to visit.
Old 03-13-2001, 08:04 PM

Cool

I am not sure you can drop the lojack since it is a unit installed in your car. I agree with the newark, nj story since I live in Union and they totally steal cars left and right.. for some it is a business for others it is a sick game. I have lojack with the system IV so it is an alarm and vehicle recovery... even with lojack you should get an alarm.. the clifford is a great device but often if the car immobilizes not too far away the theif may come back looking for you.. retaliation amongst theives is higher than people think...
Old 03-13-2001, 08:15 PM
GO YANKEES!!!!!

welcome to the board...
but i am sure once the moderators see this post it will be moved to OT..

------------------
aACURA
99 TL,SATIN SILVER EXT.,EBONY INT.,UNDERBODY KIT, HEADLIGHT FINISHERS, INSPIRE TAILS, PIAA 1700X FOGS,17IN BBS RK, GUTTER GUARD GRILL, HEADLIGHTS CLEARED,COMPTECH EXHAUST, COMPTECH SPRINGS, AUDIO ALL DRESSED UP, VIDEO UNDER THE SCREWDRIVER
A.K.A ThE bRoNxBoY
I said Sup!!
Old 03-13-2001, 10:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Wanna steal a Lojack car? steal it,Park it under ground in a garage or soemthing, cops would never find it...it works on similar frequencies like your pagers/beepers, and i'm pretty sure your pager's don't work underground in subways or anything like that..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 03-13-2001, 11:03 PM
Burning Brakes

welcome to the board =)

------------------
00' Acura 3.2TL Nighthawk Black Pearl
- 18's Lowenharts LGM Chrome (3 piece)
- 225/40 NT555
- Factory Kit
- Factory Spoiler
- Apexi N1 WS coilovers
Old 03-13-2001, 11:09 PM
Safety Car

Welcome! Get a good aftermarket alarm... probably bad to get a Clifford as they won't be making them anymore and if your brain dies you'll not be able to get a replacement. I have a DEI Python with all the goodies, check my sig.

I'm probably going to cancel my extended warranty too and pay for the rubber or visor monitors, not sure which.

------------------
2001 Silver TL, non-navi, Inspire tails & wood steering wheel, 2 burlwood dash kits & shift knob, TL-S passenger vent trim, Alumapro BP-10 & ZX400TI Phoenix Gold, Python 1500 ESP (remote start, all windows up & down, sunroof closes, prox, etc), factory spoiler & body kit, AEM short ram intake, blue alarm LEDs, Mugen grill, Comptech sways & springs.

On order: 19" Alstadt IVs, 225/35ZR19 Nitto 555s, SuperCrystal lugs, Comptech exhaust.

Nate's ride
------------------
"Every man dies, not every man lives."
Old 03-14-2001, 10:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Nate:
Welcome! Get a good aftermarket alarm... probably bad to get a Clifford as they won't be making them anymore and if your brain dies you'll not be able to get a replacement. I have a DEI Python with all the goodies, check my sig.

I'm probably going to cancel my extended warranty too and pay for the rubber or visor monitors, not sure which.

Nate Clifford alarms are still around.The Company was purchased by DEI the makers of Viper. www.directed.com & you can get all the goodies it offers.

------------------
2000 3.2TL Nighthawk Black/Ebony/Navigation/ Optional Factory Chrome Multi Spoke 16" Wheels/Factory Underbody Kit/Factory Spoiler/Moonroof Visor/Factory 6-CD Changer/Trunk Mat/Factory Black Wheel Well Trim/Clifford IG8000 Alarm System w/add-ons/%51 Tint/Weathertech Floormats /Michelin Arcctic Alpin Winter Tires on Stock Wheels/Factory Car Cover/Factory Gold Emblems Grille & Exhaust Tips
Old 03-15-2001, 12:57 AM
Racer

welcome and enjoy the ride