For all the people that bitch at me for not dropping my car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Great, your gonna be looking SWEET for the 22nd........
Old 02-28-2009, 09:12 AM
99 TLS6 08 TL

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by remikinz
My point is that my TL will most likely not be becoming my weekend car anytime soon maybe never... Im not baller I just dont see any reason to have coilovers when chances are Im never going to lower my car that low... Id rather have a smooth ride and keep my car intact then lowered and destroy it with potholes...

I dont see the need to be nasty about it... not EVERYBODY wants their car slammed to the ground
I agree. I just bought H&R sports for my 99 TL. The drop looks great! I got the 50103's though. It actually made my car sit lower then I expected. Slammed to the ground though isn't for me either.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:00 AM
Need an OEM lip kit on my

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by XxXboboXxX
jus noticed...nice combination ya got there....but you might as welll just go with coilovers.. i mean by the links your posting its a roughly $800 package and for maybe $100 or less more you could get a badass set of fully adjustable coilovers such as tein basics or ksports....

Teins
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEIN-...ht_2642wt_1201

Ksports - and im sure excelerate on the forums will hook ou upwith these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kspor...ht_3195wt_1048
Agreed. There's nothing nicer than saying "you know what? I think I want my car .5" lower" and then being done in 10 minutes.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^

see the light remikinz see the light! lol if its the same price why not have the power to do it, so u can slam it for meets/photo shoots, and raise it for everyday driving and raise it even more in winter time

:peerpressure:
Old 02-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
Originally Posted by nguyen
so ur not willing to spend an extra 100 bux mayb less to get coilovers for that advantage?

the whole point of gettin coilovers is so you can drop ur car to the height u desire, as opposed to gettin springs and later saying "oh i wanna go lower" and wasting more money duhh

tisk tisk
I'm more worried about performance. Not if I want to go lower or not. If I wanted I could get coilovers...but they wouldn't be Tein SS.

Bilstein/Neuspeed, GC/Koni's> Tein SS...whatever

Lower is not better, aesthetically yes, performance/safety no.

DUHH tisk tisk
Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCharged
I'm more worried about performance. Not if I want to go lower or not. If I wanted I could get coilovers...but they wouldn't be Tein SS.

Bilstein/Neuspeed, GC/Koni's> Tein SS...whatever

Lower is not better, aesthetically yes, performance/safety no.

DUHH tisk tisk
im not getting "nasty" im just stating my opinion, i've had springs before Comptech to be exact

and i didnt say TEIN SS is the best

so going lower decreases ur cars performance? i dont get ur logic, so i guess most track cars use a combination of H&R springs and AGX shocks

go lower is dangerous? only if ur a newb and u cant drive

if you KNOW there is a pothole/bumps in the road take another lane its just common sense!!

is it me or am i the only person that has memorized which lanes to drive on and which streets to avoid due to nasty roads

tisk tisk once you get coilovers get at me and tell me you WOULD NOT have gotten them
Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Instructor

But don't you have to get a alignment every time you raise or drop a car?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:38 PM
Safety Car

im not getting "nasty" im just stating my opinion, i've had springs before Comptech to be exact

so going lower decreases ur cars performance? i dont get ur logic, so i guess most track cars use a combination of H&R springs and AGX shocks

if you KNOW there is a pothole/bumps in the road take another lane its just common sense!!

is it me or am i the only person that has memorized which lanes to drive on and which streets to avoid due to nasty roads

tisk tisk once you get coilovers get at me and tell me you WOULD NOT have gotten them
I have coilovers on my civic. Only advantage it has on shock/spring combo is corner balancing. Not enough to warrant me to pay the extra for them. If my goal was to make it look nice and slam it to the ground, of course I would buy them just for that.

Just because you slam it to the ground does not make it handle better.

Newb and can't drive? LOL, no comment.

I've seen many SCCA cars around here only running a shock/spring combo. Come again?

I see what you are trying to say for the price of that shock/spring setup you should get coilovers. I agree...but you could also get a shock/spring combo for cheaper and at a price for Tein SS you could have a better setup for a subtle drop and great performance.

Not everyone wants to slam a car, and not everyone wants to coilovers.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:40 PM
7th Gear

i hope your not serious about buying those, exspeacilly after all the bad reviews they got..
Old 02-28-2009, 02:44 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
I have coilovers on my civic. Only advantage it has on shock/spring combo is corner balancing. Not enough to warrant me to pay the extra for them. If my goal was to make it look nice and slam it to the ground, of course I would buy them just for that.

I've seen many SCCA cars around here only running a shock/spring combo. Come again?

I see what you are trying to say for the price of that shock/spring setup you should get coilovers. I agree...but you could also get a shock/spring combo for cheaper and at a price for Tein SS you could have a better setup for a subtle drop and great performance.

:noteveryonewantstospendathousanddollars:

tein is a hype on this site, im amazed at how many people spent that much money on a drop smh..
Old 02-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
:noteveryonewantstospendathousanddollars:

tein is a hype on this site, im amazed at how many people spent that much money on a drop smh..
hmm seems like you guys havnet caught my drift, i've been saying for the SAME PRICE you can get coilovers again FOR THE SAME PRICE!

i never said anything about SLAMMING i said u have the ability to have the car height at the height YOU desire

shzzz ppls cant read
Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM
Burning Brakes

as for ur scca cars, i would ASSUME those are custom spring rates made for the particular shock not 2 random things thrown together duh
Old 02-28-2009, 02:52 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
hmm seems like you guys havnet caught my drift, i've been saying for the SAME PRICE you can get coilovers again FOR THE SAME PRICE!

i never said anything about SLAMMING i said u have the ability to have the car height at the height YOU desire

shzzz ppls cant read
so do $200-300 coilover sleeves, way more adjustability then real coilovers
Old 02-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JDM Inspired
Great, your gonna be looking SWEET for the 22nd........
Thanks!

Originally Posted by timberland73
I agree. I just bought H&R sports for my 99 TL. The drop looks great! I got the 50103's though. It actually made my car sit lower then I expected. Slammed to the ground though isn't for me either.
Yeah I mean coil overs look nice but I have heard great things about the kyb agk shocks and Ive seen lots of drops with the H&R sport springs so Im confident I made the right choice for ME. Glad Im not the only one lol

Originally Posted by DC3328
^

see the light remikinz see the light! lol if its the same price why not have the power to do it, so u can slam it for meets/photo shoots, and raise it for everyday driving and raise it even more in winter time

:peerpressure:
Yeah its nice to have but I dunno I havent really heard that great of things about coil overs besides the adjustability its just not that appealing. Like Ive said before if I get a beater car and the TL turns to be my nice weekend car Ill sell the springs and the shocks and get some coil overs but for everyday driving Id prefer springs and shocks. Thanks for not trying to drill me into submission lol

(im not going to bother responding to the rest because Im not even sure thats directed at me)
Stating your opinion is fine... Im all for opinions and if you prefer coil overs thats cool with me. I respect your opinion and Id appreciate the same. Ive explained why I dont want coil overs at this present time and all has gone ignored. If youd rather just try to insult me Id appreciate it if you left the thread. Thanks

Originally Posted by NoRicers
i hope your not serious about buying those, exspeacilly after all the bad reviews they got..
explain?

Guys lets not turn this into a war of what is better springs and shocks or coilovers it will never end. Some people prefer coil overs... some prefer springs and shocks... so what? This wasnt intended to be a thread of what is better or what not... I did my research before buying this stuff I know what I want and at this time its not coil overs.... soooo can we go back to being happy that Im FINALLY getting a drop?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rockstar21
so do $200-300 coilover sleeves, way more adjustability then real coilovers
yeah i got the Ground control sleeves with tokico illuminas and lovee it!
Old 02-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

its a THREAD im talkin with Jcharged about ur topic, whats the big deal?

if i was to "offend" i would have said who spends 800 bux on springs and shocks for a WEEKEND car makes no sense at all

i'd rather buy a ps3 and play STREET FIGHTER 4 (fukin badasss game btw)
Old 02-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Burning Brakes

its a THREAD im talkin with Jcharged about ur topic, whats the big deal?

if i was to "offend" i would have said who spends 800 bux on springs and shocks for a WEEKEND car makes no sense at all

i'd rather buy a ps3 and play STREET FIGHTER 4 (fukin badasss game btw)
but... its not my weekend car... your gettin me all types of confused right now lol making me wonder if you even read anything i said.

Anyways the last thing I need is drama and bullshit... Im sorry if I mistook your words for some kind of weak attempt to offend me.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

im not trying to offend you

so ok u dont want coilovers no biggie its ur car not mine

and i thought u were saying it was ur weekend car, i drive my tl daily and im bottomed out on my GC in HOUSTON so it is possible :P

anywho good luck on ur car
Old 02-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Burning Brakes

nope my tl is my daily driver... I just get worried about being too low seems new pot holes pop up every day around me. And props to you for dropping your car like that it looks sick... I guess I just dont have the guts to risk it lol

Thanks and sorry again
Old 02-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Your Garage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
wellllll... post up pics when you install em!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

lol will do thanks guys sorry for the bit of drama haha
Old 02-28-2009, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

as for ur scca cars, i would ASSUME those are custom spring rates made for the particular shock not 2 random things thrown together duh
My setup is thrown together duh.. Your assumption is wrong.

P.S. Username for PS3
Old 03-01-2009, 02:42 AM
Told Ya'LL...DYNASTY !!

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
blah balh blah blah blahhh blha blahhhhhh....yea im hammered... sorry your thread went down the drain remikinz lol.... didnt really mean to start that.... jus give a thought lol
Old 03-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Burning Brakes

lol its all good bobo it just got a little out of hand... no fighting on my thread! lol
Old 03-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Burning Brakes

ps network sn ANTWIN add me so we can street fight bwhaha
Old 03-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Banned

Old 03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Safety Car

Good stuff. See you on there. Sorry for the threadjack remikinz.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
[QUOTE=soria;10580483]If you don't want coilovers, get Tokico HP shocks instead of those KYB. You'll save like $500.[QUOTE]

The AGX struts don't show much difference in dampening between its hardest and softest setting. I installed them on a friends Talon TSi and the car rode the same regardless of what setting it was at. Tokico HP's are a bit cheaper and your car will still ride nice.

If you still want an adjustable strut, I'd suggest the Tokico Illumina's. Either way, congrats on the purchase.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Instructor

[quote=soria;10580483]If you don't want coilovers, get Tokico HP shocks instead of those KYB. You'll save like $500.[quote]

i agree i got h&r and tokico hp sitting in my closet waiting for install, got them from excelerate
Old 03-03-2009, 07:20 PM
2000 SSM TL-P

Looking through this thread (forgive me if I'm wrong) no one mentioned that one of the biggest advantages of a coilovers is having a perfectly matched shock and spring. The best spring is not as good without a shock that works in the same range. The 2 working together is what gives you ride quality. The "option" of being able to slam your ride is only side benifit, and is not recomended by most companies.
remikins, props again to a chick doing her research, good luck with your decision.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I

good luck and I think its going to look great regardless what type of shocks and springs you get.

btw your car looks great without springs already lol
Old 03-04-2009, 02:03 PM
2G wanting 3G

i'm about to spend some tax cash on droppin my FPR tl also

for you coilover guys, what do you have to do in order to raise and lower the car?
and was a camber kit necessary? if i went too low would it be neeeded?

I'm in germany and contrary to popular belief its not one giant autobahn. there are plenty of shitty roads and when i go into other countries i dont necessarily want to be driving with my ride too low.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by 9932
i'm about to spend some tax cash on droppin my FPR tl also

for you coilover guys, what do you have to do in order to raise and lower the car?
and was a camber kit necessary? if i went too low would it be neeeded?

I'm in germany and contrary to popular belief its not one giant autobahn. there are plenty of shitty roads and when i go into other countries i dont necessarily want to be driving with my ride too low.
You take the wrenches that the coilovers come with and twist some rings to raise and lower. As for camber kits...they are not necessary when you drop your car, HOWEVER...you will eat through your tires faster than you can spend $500 for a new set. It is HIGHLY recommended to get a camber kit for front and rear when you lower your car on springs or coilovers. And they will make your coilovers last longer too.

Pretty simple install too...I just did the front and read camber install, fairly easy if you have the right tools. SPC Performance sells the camber kit for our TL's
Old 03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

Anyone running prokit with tokico blue shocks?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:38 PM
2G wanting 3G

Originally Posted by JRhodes88
You take the wrenches that the coilovers come with and twist some rings to raise and lower. As for camber kits...they are not necessary when you drop your car, HOWEVER...you will eat through your tires faster than you can spend $500 for a new set. It is HIGHLY recommended to get a camber kit for front and rear when you lower your car on springs or coilovers. And they will make your coilovers last longer too.

Pretty simple install too...I just did the front and read camber install, fairly easy if you have the right tools. SPC Performance sells the camber kit for our TL's
wanna elaborate on the twisting of some rings with the included wrench? is this done while the car sits on the driveway? no lift? no laying on your back on the concrete?

ive heard people say that if you go tein(ss) you dont need camber kit, true?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Advanced

I want to know that too. I was thinking of doing H&R springs and Tokico shocks from excelerate performance for 550 shipped. After this thread im thinking I should research coilovers now???
So even with these springs and shocks I should get a camber kit? How much are those and whats the best place to get them?

But I do want to see the drop pics when your done!
Old 03-04-2009, 05:29 PM
99 TLS6 08 TL

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by NobleTL
I want to know that too. I was thinking of doing H&R springs and Tokico shocks from excelerate performance for 550 shipped. After this thread im thinking I should research coilovers now???
So even with these springs and shocks I should get a camber kit? How much are those and whats the best place to get them?

But I do want to see the drop pics when your done!
I just bought front and rear kits on ebay for $250 with free shipping! Ingalls 38720 for the rear and Ingalls 35590 for the front.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by 9932
wanna elaborate on the twisting of some rings with the included wrench? is this done while the car sits on the driveway? no lift? no laying on your back on the concrete?

ive heard people say that if you go tein(ss) you dont need camber kit, true?
honestly...there is nothing to elaborate on. You twist the rings...and thats it.

You have to jack the car up enough so you can fit your hand and wrenches in there to adjust them, no lying on your back though.

Put this image to use...I wanted my car another 1/2 inch lower. I walked into my garage, jacked each side up, and lowered it in less than 5 minutes. Coilovers are sounding pretty badass now arent they?
Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
is out, so the

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Eibach (?) Prokit seems pretty popular around here. How much do they run, and what do they do? I'm assuming lower the car.

I want a small drop, because I'm not looking forward to scraping my car on everything in sight. I don't need adjustability or any of that bullshit. Also, I don't plan on spending +$300. Is there even any options out there under $300?

BTW, remikinz your car is going to look sweet! FPR is a nice color!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
This thread is overrun with stupidity and cursory knowledge.

Why are so many people assuming "coilover suspension = slammed to the ground"??

When you think "suspension modifications" and the first thought in your head is "dropped!" then you might as well just cut your springs and call it a day.

Coilovers are better because they typically give you a wider adjustment range in ride height and damping rates (not with Tein Basic, however). The springs and the dampers are engineered to work together.

The argument that you don't want coilovers because you want to keep a smooth ride is bullshit. A well-engineered coilover kit will be better in ride comfort AND handling than an arbitrarily matched springs and struts combination from different brands.

In the end, do what you want to do. It's your money. It's still not a bad combination, by any means. I used to have H&R Sport springs myself.

As the old Nissan commercials would say, enjoy the ride.

Quick Reply: For all the people that bitch at me for not dropping my car...