All 2nd gen./IPOD owners...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Casey,
Let me ask a stupid question. With the blitzsafe, which looks very good (and I assume would work on an '01 TL?), what exactly did you buy to mount the iPod in a visible location? If you could provide me with links of everything else needed to finish a project like this, I would appreciate it. What mount did you use, etc.

And, this is all "plug and play" right? No splicing into wires, just plugging that into the back of the stock Bose radio, correct?

Thanks, sorry for the newb questions.
-Patrick
Old 11-30-2005, 02:24 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick C.
Hey Casey,
Let me ask a stupid question. With the blitzsafe, which looks very good (and I assume would work on an '01 TL?), what exactly did you buy to mount the iPod in a visible location? If you could provide me with links of everything else needed to finish a project like this, I would appreciate it. What mount did you use, etc.

And, this is all "plug and play" right? No splicing into wires, just plugging that into the back of the stock Bose radio, correct?

Thanks, sorry for the newb questions.
-Patrick
I'm not sure if I'm going to mount it. If I do, it will look similar to what dvsxlt247 did in this post:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120104

Whether I mount it or not, I will run the cable like he did through the center console box, but I will drill the hole underneath the cigarette lighter adapter. Then I'll feed the cable through that opening where the cupholders are and have the iPod sit by the shifter or on the seat. The cord is long enough that I can pull it in front of me to change songs. Then I can tuck it back into the center console box when I leave my car.
The Blitzsafe is plug and play, and it will work on your 01 TL. Just plug it in and the radio will detect it. To activate it, you will press the "CD" button (or press "CD" twice if you have a CD inserted in the radio). Another thing that I discovered today is that if you turn off your car while the iPod is playing, it will pause the iPod for you. Pretty slick. I'm still amazed at how much louder and how much more bass comes through instead of playing a CD or the radio.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Hey Casey
I highly recommend the Blitzsafe. I just installed this one today and will work with your 02 non-nav:
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shopsite_s..._MLINK1_1.html

Note that they ship it via USPS Priority for $6 which includes the possibility of delivering on Saturdays. The picture shown on that link is exactly how it looks.
This thing worked better than I expected. The sound is louder than when playing a CD, and you can modify the EQ settings on the iPod to enhance the sound quality. Note that the volume control on the iPod has no effect on the volume, so you only need to use the volume on the radio. You change songs on the iPod which makes sense to me. If you have hundreds of songs, why would you want to use the steering wheel controls to skip through each one? I also love the fact that it charges your iPod and will continue to do so for 20 minutes after the ignition is turned off.

I followed steps 1-8 of this tutorial to get access to the side of the radio:
http://www.abunchofcars.com/diy_page...er_console.htm
I was able to plug the adapter in without having to unmount the radio. As a previous poster said, the port on the radio is in the lower passenger side corner of the radio. I was able to tuck the fuse holder and the Blitzsafe yellow module under the radio right behind the coin tray. I plan on running the cable that attaches to the iPod under the cup holder and through a hole under where the cigarette lighter adapter is inside the center console. That way, I can leave my iPod inside the center console or pull it through where the cup holders are to get easy access to it.

Good luck!

it all seems simple i writing..thanks alot for the info..im not getting my ipod until xmass so i have some time..which ipods does everyone reccommend..thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 06:22 PM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by WHITE3.2TL-S
it all seems simple i writing..thanks alot for the info..im not getting my ipod until xmass so i have some time..which ipods does everyone reccommend..thanks
Really depends... I hate to give that answer...but it's true...

If you are going to mainly use it mainly in the car, and in places that you don't mind the added bulk and weight, the 60GB iPod is great... And it will allow many (not me mind you) to carry their entire music library with them... Nice!

If you want to use it in the gym or jogging, the 60GB iPod is not ideal (though certainly doable I suppose)... In that case, I would probably opt for one of the nanos... It's solid state memory, so you don't need to worry about damaging the hard drive on a drop... It is feather light... And it stores a significant amount of music...probably not your entire library though...

I really want both... Fortunately, I received the 4GB nano as a gift, so I have one of my bases covered... And I have to say that I love it... 4GB holds about 750 songs for me (I rip at a higher rate than what Apple uses to come up with their 1000 song claim)... 750 songs at about 12 songs an album is just over 60 albums... That is plenty for me...

I am planning on getting a larger iPod to keep in the car... I have 130GB of music now, so unfortunatly, I am still faced with trying to get a good strategy for sub-setting my music...

For now though, the nano is more than enough... Heck, I may even wait until there is an iPod with a large enough capacity for my entire library...
Old 11-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Graphic/Web Designer

Originally Posted by Hey Casey
You change songs on the iPod which makes sense to me. If you have hundreds of songs, why would you want to use the steering wheel controls to skip through each one?
I often make playlists with 30 or less songs, so it would make sense for me to use steering wheel controls. It also comes in handy when listening to an album.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:08 PM
9th Gear

I too would like to use the steering wheel to skip songs. I assume that the IceLink is the only option that allows for this feature? Any other suggestions?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:45 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Patrick C.
I too would like to use the steering wheel to skip songs. I assume that the IceLink is the only option that allows for this feature? Any other suggestions?
I know there are a lot of replies in this thread, but this question has already been answered. The Neo iOn allows use of the steering wheel controls.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:36 AM
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Decided to go with the Blitzsafe times two...

I have a Honda Odyssey, and decided that I would get two Blitzsafes for the price of one Neo Ion...

They are back ordered, but their email update indicates that they should be back in stock by the 8th...

Wish me luck!
Old 12-21-2005, 10:29 PM
8th Gear

99 Tl

Will this link work for 99 TL also?
http://www.skyeflye.com/acura_cls/In...01-2003_CL.pdf
Old 03-29-2006, 05:23 PM
steeez

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the blitzsafe seems cool i guess.. but you can just buy one of those cassettes that can hook up to your music player (like earphones) and then you put the casette in the tape player.. works just fine

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0004LVURC

its what i use, and its only 15bucks from target
Old 03-29-2006, 05:29 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ecliptics
the blitzsafe seems cool i guess.. but you can just buy one of those cassettes that can hook up to your music player (like earphones) and then you put the casette in the tape player.. works just fine

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...sin=B0004LVURC

its what i use, and its only 15bucks from target
Some people wanted a little better audio quality and didn't want wires hanging out everywhere. Thats why I went with the blitzsafe anyway. I guess your way is a cheap alternative, although I wouldn't opt for it.