alarm upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 02:43 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alarm upgrade

Hey Guys,

I was wondering which upgrade alarm is good? I heard either Viper or Clifford is good. Which model should I get from viper and which one should i get from clifford. I want the sensor shock. Which is the cheapiest and good at the same time.
Old 10-16-2002, 05:55 AM
Banned

COMPUSTAR.ORG
Old 10-16-2002, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

the 2WSS looks pretty cool. I was wondering if we can still use our Acura remote with he compustar. Also how much will the SSM cost?
Old 10-16-2002, 01:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

yaron is the best person to direct this question to as he can tell you the pros n cons with the system but i think overall he is very happy with the compustar
Old 10-16-2002, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

i also have the compustar

i dont think it get better than this i mean clifford is all name they only have a few advantages as far as a company that is close(closest compustar distributor was 1.5 hours away so i had a hard time trying to find a place to buy it.....any home all the clifford and dei stuff can be used on the compustar....proximity, shock, window modulars you name it it can be hooked up to the compustar....and best thing is that compustar lets you know stuff in real time....since its a pager and all...you cant find that in clifford...thats for sure too.....cliffford like i said is all name you just buying name.....but the compustar doesnt come with much but its expandibility makes it worth it it can be custom in many ways to make it exactly what you want it to do.....everything short of driving the car with the remote......i also believe the compustar range cant be beat.....install for the compustar was B*TCH THO....too many wires...hahah
Old 10-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

A friend of mine got Compustar....broke down in less than a year.. It just went dead all the sudden. Well it is made in Korea (same league as China/Taiwan/HK), what do you expect???
Old 10-16-2002, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by randomwalk101
A friend of mine got Compustar....broke down in less than a year.. It just went dead all the sudden. Well it is made in Korea (same league as China/Taiwan/HK), what do you expect???
Was it a defect in the product or was it just a bad install ???

An alarm is only as good as its install ... i had one of the first compustar alarms that came out and it worked flawlessly from day one ...... compustar also won a best design n enginering award two years in a row at the ces show.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:12 PM
Advanced

Actually, I used to work as an alarm installer (summer job in University). Viper (Directed Electronics Inc or DEI) has bought out Clifford and is using the exact same circuitry.

I've installed lots of alarms before (Ungo, Viper, 'old school' Clifford, etc) and, IMO, they all work the same. However, the BEST (in design) and EASIEST (to install) were the DEI's. Make sure you get the component alarm (none of that built in sensor crap) with the digital sensors. As long as you get a mid-range model, there is LOTS of expandability. (Yes, you can add pagers, make the remote control multiple cars, etc.) If you know some electronics, you can do a LOT with even a low-end DEI.

asiankidd is right in some respects when he said the clifford and dei stuff can be used on the Compustar. But in fact, ANY manufacturer of accessories (shock sensors, glass sensors, perimeter sensors) can work on any alarm. They all output either a ground or +12V signal.

The Compustar says it uses Spread Spectrum Technology (for additional range. However, I don't know if it's got a "code hopper". If not, anyone with a code-grabber can disarm your car with no trouble. (FYI, DEI has code-hopping technology built in.)

I used to have a last gen 325iC and installed a DEI with digital shock and perimeter sensor. Worked great and didn't have a worry in the world. (But, of course, ANY alarm installed properly will work great.)

Just my 2 cents ...