Adding subs to stock system

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2003, 12:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding subs to stock system

whats up guys... listen I lease my type s and want to just add a box. few questions... should i disconnect the bose sub? where do i run the signal and remote from? and also will the dealer be mad about me adding just a sub? its only a few wires but i understand that the car is not mine. Also the dealer will get pissed if i tint it right? even if i take it off before the lease is up...
Old 05-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Intermediate

I lease a 2003 TL as well. I had the dealer throw some tint on my car as well as a factory spoiler into the deal. He told me that they aren't worried because they will get their money back on when lease is up. I don't know if they would like you doing that after the lease is "signed"??? That is why im scared of putting rims on my car...... don't know if they will like that???
Old 05-05-2003, 01:06 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Funny how you post this now. I leased mine in early January, and I'm adding the body kit, tint, and a system when I move back home for summer (next week).

I'm not worried about the system. The shop should know what to do. Tint, they should be thankful, as it will only help in selling the car after the lease is up. Body kit, why not? It's factory parts. :p

Do whatever you want to do, just make sure you don't do anything irreverseable.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:19 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car is leased. Do it up.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well I'm curious here, guys. I was wondering if there was a way for me to add another sub to the factory Bose sub. I really want to take out the Bose Sub and put another sub in there, but I 'm now sure how that would work. Would a 12" sub fit in its place or would a 10" sub be better. I wanted to know how many of you guys had this done and how easy is it to do? Feedback is appreciated.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:06 PM
Burning Brakes

look for yourself, THERE'S NO WAY A STANDARD SUB WILL FIT THERE,ONLY SHALLOW MOUNT WOOFERS AND THAT WON'T GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT.I've added a 10" in a ported box and an amp to the factory system and am very happy with it. It's complicated to do but like anything else knowing is half the battle and what better place to get knowledge about your acura stereo than the "audio and electronic" forum.There are so many old posts on this exact thing over there that even if i knew how to post a link here i wouldnt know where to start.
Old 05-06-2003, 12:09 PM
Go Stros!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I did notice a bracket at the bottom of the Bose Sub and I figure it is that, that is causing a lot of aftermarket subs not to fit. Someone correct on this if I'm wrong. But I did remember a few guys here that have done that and I wanted to know how easy or hard it is to do. I mean I do have some pretty damn good soundshop guys working on my system setup, but I wanted to make sure I knew how hard it was before I start investing in a system for my car.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

OK the short and quick. you CAN replace the 9"bose with a 8" kicker mid-bass woofer but you HAVE TO replace the bose sub amp. with a aftermarket one. and after all that, unless your after a very mild improvement in bass,you will not be satisfied!
so forget about putting a real subwoofer in the deck,unless you want a serious custom install,just throw a small sealed box in the trunk(way up front against the rear seat facing the trunk and you'll be rocking)the exact step by step instructions are on posts on the audio board on how to add an amp to the existing system,I've done it myself,not that hard but almost impossible without the info on that board.
Old 05-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Racer

hey yield2S,

what about the ohmage of the factory system when adding an aftermarket amp? i already have a sub, and will purchase and amp to push it, i want to tap the mono signal from the stock amp harness. do i have to worry about the ohmage of the factory system in this case??
Old 05-06-2003, 01:38 PM
Burning Brakes

It sounds like you've done some searching already.now if your talking about the amp harness feeding the stock amp,then yes your fine with just tapping it to feed the new and stock amp (this is what i did) keep in mind this is a "low level"signal so it needs to be going to the rca plugs on the new amp.
but do not make the mistake of tapping the wires that feed your stock bose woofer,just don't do it!
Old 05-06-2003, 01:56 PM
Cruisin'

thanks for the replies
Old 05-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Racer

yes, yield2S, that is what i'm talking about. i'll run the power wire and ground wire myself, and then tap that harnes for the mono signal. and i know what to do as far as turning it into a rca plug, then y-adapter it to two rca's. my only concern was the ohms that the factory head unit runs at.

i know that lots of others have done it this way, and your telling me its all good, right?
Old 05-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

you got it! thats exactly how ive got mine going. but i will say try to use a shielded rca cord, I didnt and even though i'm just feeding a subwoofer with that signal it still has some whine to it with the volume very low
Old 05-06-2003, 03:16 PM
Racer

good idea, thanks for the tip. first i'm going to cascade the trunk real good, then worry about buying the amp, and doing the install. i'm just gonna take this project one step at a time....