adding a sony amp??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Acura Newbe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding a sony amp??

hey guys.
i got a 99tl. i put a sony headunit not too long ago becuase i got mad the regular HU didnt wanna play my cds. well i have this here a sony 500 watt (one like this http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=4541642 ok) i used to have in my old car. ok so question is,
1) is it worth putting in, or is it even possible???
2) if yes, should i do the four speakers, or two rear and juice up the sub a little?
thank ya!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Acura Newbe

o yeah, and where the hell should i mount it???
Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

first off, why the hell would you buy car audio from walmart? secondly, sony makes the crapiest car audio known to man. i suggest that you sell your stuff to some moron who drives a 1990 honda civic, cause thats where that junk you bought belongs. if your looking for a deal on a deck, get a pioneer, or even jvc. the higher end ones are alpine and the kenwoods.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:45 PM
2000 Acura TL NGM

First dont be so quick to knock walmart's car audio. Some of there stuff is great and brand name.

Second next to answer the original question....Ill will have to agree though anything besides sony head units are horrible. Don't put it in, go out and buy a Subwoofer amp and use that with some subs.

Also if you plan on using the amp to power all of the stock equipment I am not sure it can be done.

Anybody Know?

If it can be dont use the garbage Sony amp. You will get much worst sound quality then you probably have now. One more thing never amplifier only 2 speakers, always do all four for best sound quality.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Drifting

Yes, it is possible. Just hook it up to the inside speakers. I wouldn't juice up the factory sub. Just get an aftermarket one if you want some bass.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:41 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anyways.... back to the original topic. shit is shit, but anything is better then the stupid stock HU's amp. I actually didnt think the Sony XPlod was too bad compared to my pioneer 9700mp.

This is what you should do SINCE you already have it and it's not worth spending more if you dont want to.

200rms @ 4ohms means 50rmsX4channels @ 4ohms

typically, you'd want to power your speakers 75+watts per speaker. I dunno which deck you bought from sony, but im going to make the assumption that since its a newer deck, it would have 50 watts x 4 per channel, which equates to like 15-18 watts rms. Reroute the power from your front speakers to the rears so its like you're bridging both left channels to the rear left speaker and the rear right speaker, giving you about 30-35 watts rms per speaker. hook up your amp and bridge power to the speakers up front giving you 100 watts rms to the front speakers and tweeters. you can care less about the rears because that's what the sub is for. midbass isnt as important if you have a sub thumping in the back. Oh, and what are you using to power the sub anyways?
Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 PM
OM NOM NOM NOM

It can be done Before i upgraded to MBquart Qlines, I had my 800a4 powering my stock speakers. Yeah sure, theyre shit, but damn they still sound so much better then the stupid stock HU powering it. The only reason I'm keeping the stock HU is that the thing looks nicer and cleaner because its the OEM look.

Originally Posted by yankeeman515
Also if you plan on using the amp to power all of the stock equipment I am not sure it can be done.

Anybody Know?

This is not always the case. Any amp is better then the stock sony built in HU amp. also, with powering only 2 speakers, If you know how to tune it, it will sound great, but it wont be the rears you'd wanna power, it would be the front. you never turn up the rears higher then the fronts because the front is where most of the sound is coming from. the tweeters in the front produce most of the treble. If you have noticed, the rears kinda wash out because the fronts usually overpower the rears.
Originally Posted by yankeeman515
If it can be dont use the garbage Sony amp. You will get much worst sound quality then you probably have now. One more thing never amplifier only 2 speakers, always do all four for best sound quality.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:38 AM
Racer

i have a pioneer amp mounted under the rear deck (basically in the trunk) and i'm very happy with it!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Acura Newbe

yeah, i didnt buy it from walmart, i just wanted to show you how it looks. sony is not that bad. you make it sound horrible.

so basically route the front speakers to the rear as well as run two rca connectors along with a 12V power cable to the trunk? sounds like a interesting way to spend a saturday.. hehe
Old 05-29-2008, 09:31 PM
2Poor 2Furious

you can just tap the amp behind the rear seats to get your RCA signals for the sub so you don't have to run it from the front speakers. Its been awhile since I added my sub to the stock system, but here's the stereo DIYs that should get you started:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/comprehensive-data-upgrading-2nd-gen-sound-system-tl-263649/

(And yeah, its a great way to spend a Sat.)
Old 05-30-2008, 01:49 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

he has an aftermarket hu bro. lol

Originally Posted by t0ast
you can just tap the amp behind the rear seats to get your RCA signals for the sub so you don't have to run it from the front speakers. Its been awhile since I added my sub to the stock system, but here's the stereo DIYs that should get you started:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263649

(And yeah, its a great way to spend a Sat.)
Old 05-30-2008, 01:49 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

even if you did buy it from walmart, it would probably be cheaper then everywhere else. lol

Originally Posted by earthbound741
yeah, i didnt buy it from walmart, i just wanted to show you how it looks. sony is not that bad. you make it sound horrible.

so basically route the front speakers to the rear as well as run two rca connectors along with a 12V power cable to the trunk? sounds like a interesting way to spend a saturday.. hehe
Old 05-30-2008, 01:57 AM
OM NOM NOM NOM

I should take a picture of the mess i have under my seats and carpet. theres like a buttload of lines running from my trunk to the underside of the seats and through the middle part of my carpet to the center console. I have 4 lines for the speakers. 3 lines for the rca sets ( fronts rears sub) 2 lines for my sirius antenna and fm radio connector, 1 4 gauge power cable, 1 remote wire. thats like 11 total! I'm using my stock HU, so my setup is a lil more complicated because i have to run my LOC through an aftermarket EQ to split my signals.

Originally Posted by earthbound741