Acura TL VS MUSTANG 4.6L GT 5 speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2001, 03:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Acura TL VS MUSTANG 4.6L GT 5 speed

ok another kill for the TL i was going west on Garden of the Gods road on my way to work after my lunch. i had a 180 LB passenger and 3/4 tank of gas. i wound up next to this green 4.6L GT at centennial. when we got the green i took off and at first the other guy dident know i was going to run so i got about 1.5 cars on him before he tried to play catch up. i keept my lead on him up to about 70 MPH and we hit another red light. this time while we were waiting for the green he was revving slightly. he got about 1/2 car on me and i thought i was toast but i keep in it and started to pass him after i got into 2nd gear. i kept pulling on him and got about 3/4 of a car on him and we shut down at about 80 as we were approaching 30th. i pulled over into the left turn lane to chat with him and our conversation went like this:

ME, "it sucks when your muscle car gets wasted by a Luxary sedan" (my favorite line lol)

Him, "Yea but i don't mind getting beat by an Acura"

ME, well thanks for the compliment! i was suprised i pulled it off myself considering i have a passenger and all. is that a 5 speed or auto?"

HIM, "5 speed"

ME, "damn i am suprised at that ford should be ashamed of themselves to call that a Muscle car that can't hang with some of the import luxary sedans"

Him "well like i said i dont mind losing if it is to an acura but if it were a camry or somthing like that i would be kinda pissed!"

we gave a thumbs up and went on our way.. he was real cool about it.
well i guess i can chalk up another kill for the TL! who's next?

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony
Old 03-22-2001, 03:12 PM

nice kill, i love it when u talk to people u race, hate those who throw a soda bottles out thier window........sucks that i got shitted on by a convertible ecplise....
Old 03-22-2001, 03:14 PM
The "old" guy

Must have been one ill horse.... No way a TL should be whipping on a 5 speed GT....

------------------
72 Olds 442 Convertible (dual ram air) Play ride
99 Chevy Explorer high top conversion (vacation ride)
94 Ranger Splash 4x4 ext cab. (work/haul ride)
80 Honda CB750F (Shoei/Kerker) wheelie ride
02 TL-S Black/Ebony Underbody/spoiler/wood(due 3/28) MY RIDE
00 John Deere 4 wheel steer (yard ride...hehe)
Old 03-22-2001, 03:24 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Indyjenks:
Must have been one ill horse.... No way a TL should be whipping on a 5 speed GT....

well i understand your doubt maby i have one of the TL's that had that little extra off the assembly line if you recall about 3 months ago i posted that i took a type R from 2 different lights he was pissed! he told one of my friends he raced a cl type_s and barely lost! then i confronted him later at a party and he asked if the TL had VTEC he couldent belive it either. he did have a passenger though but the passenger couldent have weighed more than 175lbs.
i heard the GT's only have like 215 HP and they are heavy maby thats why? all i know is i have a passenger that can testify to the fact we beat him but he is not a regular on this or any boards.

------------------

Old 03-22-2001, 03:28 PM
The "old" guy

Well...Mustangs run 0-60 with a manual in about 5.5 seconds, and have somewhere around 300 ft/lbs of torque. The torque of the mustang should leave the TL in the dust off of the line unless he didnt know how to launch.
Old 03-22-2001, 03:32 PM
Racer

yea i confirmed this with an owner of a 5.o he said the 4.6 has about 300 Lbs of torque but i think the gears of the GT are kinda high due to the fact thay have torque and also the fact that they redline at 6K. you know as well as i do that ratings are wrong even acura says the tl type_s does the 1/4 in 15.1 and there are folks on this board with a basically stock tl running that and better.

------------------

Old 03-22-2001, 03:37 PM
Racer

BTW he did a great launch he dident roast the tires but did a great job of keeping traction and he still initially pulled on me which is consistant with someone who knows how to launch and also has buttloads of torque but torque only helps to get off the line where the GT really lacks is when the RPM'S go up there is a big lack of HP and as we all know honda/acuras have a great secrit wepon of keeplig the power up into the higher revs with the VTEC. they may get you off the line but we have the High revving HP and if you stay in that zone in a race you have the advantage.. it dont matter what you say though i know it was a fair kill and i wont hesitate to try it again with any totally stock GT in the future.

------------------

Old 03-22-2001, 03:49 PM
Racer

It does depend a lot on the driver as well. There is this girl I graduated with that has a 4.6 GT and her dad instaled H-pipes, a ram air system, and some other small bolt ons. She ran it at the track and couldnt run anything better then a 15.1. Yet her dad took it down the track that same day and pulled a 14.4 out of it. So it is very possable for a TL to pull a GT mustang. Plus there are different HP ratings depending on the year.
Old 03-22-2001, 03:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
Good kill, is your motor stock?
Old 03-22-2001, 03:54 PM
Racer

Originally posted by doopstr:
Good kill, is your motor stock?
Yea totally stock and i have almost 7K on the clock first time i used auto and second time i used SS mode i usually take it to 6,500 before i shift.

------------------

Old 03-22-2001, 04:13 PM
Pro

Wink

A rustang .. er must-clang.. er mustang GT 4.6 has 260hp, and approx. does 0-60 in 5.4 and the 1/4 in 14.0 (I think that's after 1999)
TL approx is 6.7 and 15.2

Not to be starting any controversy or anything, but for you to spank him like you did probably means the guy can't shift, or has a slipping clutch or something.

good kill though
One good thing about auto tranny is that you never miss a shift.

------------------
- Nick, still shopping for an 02, w/ or w/out nav
Old 03-22-2001, 04:20 PM
Racer

It had to be a 96-98 stang, these are slow dogs, espeacially the 96 and 97, the 98 has 10 more HP. NO WAY was it a 99 or 00, cuz I had a 2000GT and the TL cant hang wit it no matter what!
Old 03-22-2001, 06:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
It's the driver, IMO... I drove a 2000 Mustang GT auto in vegas, it wasn't really anything special... It did have power, but I was expecting more(it's my first time driving a new mustang)out of it... a real disappointment... I wish I had the Miata I rented before that(had to switch car's cuz I needed a back seat for more pasengers over the weekend)..The Miata may not be as fast, but it's a hell of a lot more fun to drive!
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 03-22-2001, 06:05 PM
Pro

Dude, the mustang owner sucks at driving. There is no way a stock TL can hang with a Mustang 4.6L. NO WAY. Only way is if the driver sucks. for you to beat it is even more telling just how badly he sucks. I mean, I've seen cars hang with cars seemingly out of their league before, but that was if the car was a manual tranny. A great driver can do a lot with a manual tranny. since we only have autostick, I don't know.
Old 03-22-2001, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry, but in a race the outcome is 90% dependent on a racer. he must not have known how to drive. 96-98 (couldnt be 94-95 because they were 5.0) auto GTs ran low to high 14s. 5spd will pull mid 14s with a good driver. i congratulate you on the win, but if it had been a good driver, it would have been a different story.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Lexus_IS300 on March 22, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-22-2001, 06:34 PM
Advanced

Cool

I agree, it has to be the driver...

------------------
99 Acura TL w/o NAV
Black/Parchment

88 Mustang GT - 450HP
Old 03-22-2001, 09:39 PM
Racer

Thumbs down

Do you expect for people that you talk to afterwards to be nice, and not be insulted from your negative comments? Especially when "beat" by a luxUry sedan?

Besides patting yourself on the back verbally, every comment you made to that driver was an insult. (At least what was posted here.)
Old 03-22-2001, 10:53 PM
Racer

Thumbs down

I agree that the driver has alot to do with it but the Mustangs are not as fast as one would think. I have friend that has a prelude with intake (short ram) and exhaust and he pulled a 5.0 down the highway. Also, my bro was driveing his 2000 TL down at one of the local racing spots and he easily pulled by a 4.6, and so did the Integra GS-R that had an AEM, exhaust and headers. The integra was actually neck and neck with his TL while he was pulling on the 4.6.

I dont think that the mustangs are as fast as everyone puts them up to be. Or maybe there are just alot of shitty drivers....I doubt it...
Old 03-22-2001, 11:18 PM
Racer

Well my mustang friend confirmed what someone above said that the 96-98 mustang 4.6 GT's were dogs but i guess in 99+ they did somthing different to the engine to make them a little faster. i also remember a rumor that there was some people pissed off at ford because the GT's dident put out near the rated HP they were supposed to and i think there was talk of some lawsuits but i dont remember the outcome. i agree anytime you run against a manuel it depends on the driver but in this case i would say he knew what he was doing. aparently there are several people here that know the ability of the different mustang years and their HP and such. and evin if he was a shitty driver who cares anyway? he still lost to a luxary sedan and he was still cool enough to respect the Acura. in his mind he might have been a little jelous. who knows he probly went straight to the acura dealer which was ahead of him in the direction he went. maby he is buying a new TL-S as we speak?
LOL

------------------

Old 03-22-2001, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Cool

I think Tann should race with those rustang and show them what TL are made of (with Nos).
Old 03-23-2001, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Thumbs down

You may have beat him in the race... doubt it was a 260 hp version of the engine... probably the first 4.6L engine version with 215 hp.

"he still lost to a luxary sedan and he was still cool enough to respect the Acura. in his mind he might have been a little jelous."

Personally if I were him I would be thinking, "I hope all Acura drivers aren't a**h*oles." You should never insult anyone elses ride... just shouldn't be done. You should race for fun, not to put down someone else.

Old 03-23-2001, 12:11 AM
Racer

the only time I put another car down is when they have been braging about how fast they are and they get beat by a stock car or one that they think they will burn, thats it. Other then that I respect what they purchase and the time that they have put into there car. (most of the time)
Old 03-23-2001, 12:34 AM
Drifting

very nice! I couldn't beat a 2000 Mustang with 5 speed... dunno why, I had the AC and TCS on, and another about 180LB passenger.

------------------
Moderator on Acura-TL.com Forums

2000 Red Hot TL w/o nav
Burlwood Trim and Shift Knob
Wood Trim Set
Gutter Guard Grill
Nebraska Legal Darkest Tint
Goodyear Eagle HP Ultra Plus 225/55/16
Photos Of My RED HOT TL
Old 03-23-2001, 12:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by preludeshfan:
Well my mustang friend confirmed what someone above said that the 96-98 mustang 4.6 GT's were dogs but i guess in 99+ they did somthing different to the engine to make them a little faster. i also remember a rumor that there was some people pissed off at ford because the GT's dident put out near the rated HP they were supposed to and i think there was talk of some lawsuits but i dont remember the outcome. i agree anytime you run against a manuel it depends on the driver but in this case i would say he knew what he was doing. aparently there are several people here that know the ability of the different mustang years and their HP and such. and evin if he was a shitty driver who cares anyway? he still lost to a luxary sedan and he was still cool enough to respect the Acura. in his mind he might have been a little jelous. who knows he probly went straight to the acura dealer which was ahead of him in the direction he went. maby he is buying a new TL-S as we speak?
LOL

the problem was on the current generation cobra that ran the same time as the current mustang GT. i think the problem was the throttle body, and they already had a recall on it.

------------------
'01 Lexus IS300
'91 Acura NSX
'95 Nissan Maxima
Old 03-23-2001, 09:16 AM
Advanced

I agree with those that said it wasn't a 00 Mustang. The other week on my way to DAyton a 00 GT and i were playing on the freeway, i had no passengers, and he had his wife and 2 lil kids in the car with him. Whenever there was a break in traffic, and starting at about 70-80mph if i was in front he was damn near in my backseat, but when he was in front he would easily walk away from me. One time when we went from 70west to 675, he was ahead of me on the on ramp, and easily ran away from after gettin off the on ramp, at which point we probably started at 50mph then. Just my $.02 cents
Old 03-23-2001, 10:57 AM
Ain't No Other...

Dude those things are fast, faster than my TL, thats for sure...the GT's
Old 03-23-2001, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Ok, well, i have owned 2 mustangs in the past 5 years, and have driven all variations from 93-1999. I will tell you straight up, if you beat a 96-98 gt, it has nothing to do with your car, and everything to do with him being a shitty driver. If he was driving a auto, he would have wasted you. The mustang is much faster in the hands of an experianced driver. You could pull up next to a Ferrari 360, and if the guy couldn't drive, beat him in a short drag race, but then what, are you going to brag that you have a car that is faster than a Ferrari 360? Come on now. I sold a 500 hp mustang to buy my 2000 TL, it the TL is a quick little sedan, but dont get on a high horse just b/c you found a chump with a fast car that he couldn't drive. That is nothing to brag about. If you want to race a mustang, and are anywhere near charleston SC, I will borrow my friends 96 stock GT, and show what a real driver can do in that car...
Old 03-23-2001, 12:08 PM
The "old" guy

....First you said

the only time I put another car down is when they have been braging about how fast they are and they get beat by a stock car or one that they think they will burn, thats it. Other then that I respect what they purchase and the time that they have put into there car. (most of the time)

Then you said......

Originally posted by 14.9:
yet the fact still remains that Fords are all pieces of sh**. But some of them can get up in speed

Not sure what your position is....Hmmm. I have owned Fords, Chevys, Merkurs, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and others. Been driving for over 25 years... You can get a piece of sh** in ANY make. To say a particular brand is a piece of sh** is definately an unfair generalization. I can tell you from first hand experience that many Ford products are excellent machines that hold up well. My Ranger is nearly 8 years old, looks brand new, has no squeeks or rattles (unusual for a 4x4) and drives great. Ford makes a very reasonable product for a price the masses can afford. To disrespect a make or brand of car due to your personal preferences merely shows your immaturity and bias. Ford didnt become the size it is, nor achieve the sales it does because it makes a sh** product.

------------------
72 Olds 442 Convertible (dual ram air) Play ride
99 Chevy Explorer high top conversion (vacation ride)
94 Ranger Splash 4x4 ext cab. (work/haul ride)
80 Honda CB750F (Shoei/Kerker) wheelie ride
02 TL-S Black/Ebony Underbody/spoiler/wood(due 3/28) MY RIDE
00 John Deere 4 wheel steer (yard ride...hehe)

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Indyjenks on March 23, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Indyjenks on March 23, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 03-23-2001, 12:08 PM
Pro

God, there is so much adversity on this board. If he won then he won, regardless of the driver. Give preludeshfan a break. He won the race. Let's just leave it at that. This discussion isn't going anywhere IMO....
Old 03-23-2001, 12:15 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

I've recently become a regular member of stangnet.com (The V6 Mustang guys are hands down the nicest and most respectful members of ANY message board, bar none!) and the 96-98 4.6L GT Stangs are pretty weak in the HP dept. Even the GT Mustang guys will tell you they run 15's to high 14's at best.

And like everyone else has said, its the MAN not the MACHINE that determines who wins the race.

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 170HP & 160ft/lbs
- Koni Yellows & Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- 15.45 @ 88.8mph (Track) [with AEM intake/pulleys] 0-60mph 7.2 sec (G-Tech) [with intake/pulleys]
Old 03-23-2001, 12:31 PM
Racer

yea I know I contadicted my self back there and I have plenty of friends that have fords with no problems. Plus I was debating weather or not to but a Contour SVT. I guess I just felt like saying it cause I dislike Ford Mustangs. I have my reasons as to why I dislike them and I care not to list them. Just know that I appoligize if I offended any one and I did not mean all fords.
Old 03-23-2001, 12:40 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Indyjenks:
[B
Not sure what your position is....Hmmm. I have owned Fords, Chevys, Merkurs, Pontiacs, Oldsmobiles and others. Been driving for over 25 years... You can get a piece of sh** in ANY make. To say a particular brand is a piece of sh** is definately an unfair generalization. I can tell you from first hand experience that many Ford products are excellent machines that hold up well. My Ranger is nearly 8 years old, looks brand new, has no squeeks or rattles (unusual for a 4x4) and drives great. Ford makes a very reasonable product for a price the masses can afford. To disrespect a make or brand of car due to your personal preferences merely shows your immaturity and bias. Ford didnt become the size it is, nor achieve the sales it does because it makes a sh** product.

[/B]
Yup, my dad has an old 1971 Ford Ranger F-100 that still keeps pluggin along...I have a 1976 Camaro that I personally put 130,000 miles on...parents own a Plymouth Acclaim that has NEVER been in the shop. I guess you can find a good car anywhere, domestic or foreign. In the end, it is almost always the owner that dictates how well a car will hold up.
Old 03-23-2001, 01:29 PM
The "old" guy

Wink

Originally posted by 14.9:
yea I know I contadicted my self back there and I have plenty of friends that have fords with no problems. Plus I was debating weather or not to but a Contour SVT. I guess I just felt like saying it cause I dislike Ford Mustangs. I have my reasons as to why I dislike them and I care not to list them. Just know that I appoligize if I offended any one and I did not mean all fords.
No problem.. I was merely pointing out the inconsistencies in your position and the generalization by brand names.
Old 03-23-2001, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

I raced a guy in a 2000 GT and he left me behide. It was five speed, and he told me it was still stock, but from the way he shot out in front at one point, I think he might hit the no2. Id like to race more mustangs in the future to get another shot. I took another new GT on in my Dads Volvo C70, got murder off the line, but once the turbo really got going I just slowly passed by him.

------------------
Dead Soul
HondaMod.com - Admin

'99 3.2TL
Black/Parchment
Old 03-23-2001, 11:51 PM
Racer

Wink

yet the fact still remains that Fords are all pieces of sh**. But some of them can get up in speed.