Acura TL-S 2003 sales

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2002, 01:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura TL-S 2003 sales

Hey guys how well do you think the 2003 tl-s will sell.

I see alot of tl, tl-s everywhere i go these days.
Probly due to the fact that the 2002 tls provided much bang for the buck.

But this year the tl-s has alot of competition. And the tl-s isn't the latest technology anymore.

I have a feeling that the new Z,G35, and even the 2003 maxima manual will take a lot of sales away from acura

What do you guys think.?
Old 02-16-2002, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea it'll definately go down...since when the tl-s first came out, it was the only one with hp around the 260s...and a good price...now i35, maxima is here...

but the tl still has its looks and style...so who knows...
Old 02-16-2002, 04:43 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
They will still sell b/c of price. The competitors still do not have the price advantage. Lets face it, although the TL series are great cars, if the 3 and 5 series BMWs were the same price, you would buy one instead. Also, the 2003s will have to hold their own as they will likely run right to august 2003, unless the newly designed unit comes out early in 2003.
Old 02-16-2002, 05:26 PM
Instructor

Agreed, as long as the price is like it is now, the TL will continue to sell. Plus, who picks a Maxima over a TL-S? I mean cmon .
Old 02-16-2002, 08:04 PM
Advanced

The Maxima\I35 are both better deals

Maxima is faster (6spd) and both cars offer stuff Acura doesn't for a cheaper price

-heated steering wheel
-real leather
-nicer bose system
-power rear sunshade(I35)
-and a superior navi system
-trac control system is superior also

But I would think that the Acura would be more reliable, but the Tl has tones of rattling and transmisison issues. But the TL is faster than the ES300, but the Lexus has by far the best interior.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:17 PM
Advanced

TL-S BETTER THAN THE MAXIMA

Hey I just got my new TL-S like 2 weeks ago before it I got a 2002 Maxima SE with nav system and traction control I got it in late September of last year and it was stolen in December, take it from somebody who had both cars the TL handels much better I will say the Maxima does have a slightly nicer interior but the TL handles better corners better and drives nicer the Maxima at 90mph didnt feel very stable and the SE Model is not very sporty its more of a car for an older driver im happy that they stole my car now...... Before the Maxima I had a s2000 and im glad that im back in the Honda Family...........
Old 02-16-2002, 08:46 PM
Banned

Well 1st of all for every person here who says the tls is better than the maxima, there is someone in the maxima boards saying that the maxima is better than the tls. Thats just a fact of life.

But i don't think that the maxima is the real threat in 2003.

We have to worry about the Infiniti G35. I know it has not been out yet. but It will come out next month and the specs, reviews are fantastic.

260hp, 260torgue, rear wheel drive, near perfect front/back weight distribution, .26 coeficient drag and zero lift. Oh yeah it is also a bit lighter.

I will have to do some heavy mods to my car to keep up.
Old 02-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Racer

Thumbs up Tl Sales vs competition

Let's set aside for the moment which car is better and look at the bigger picture. Not only does Acura have one of the best cars in the market place , they have second to none the best Lease residuals on planet earth! Did you know that you can lease a $32,000 Acura for the same price as a $27,000 competitors car? Acura claims 65% of sales are leased vehicles. An equal priced and equal equipped Maxima will cost you approx $125 more per month. That tells you what Nissan thinks about the value of there vehicles 3 years from now! The last time we took a Maxima in on trade we called the Nissan store for a buy bid and they didn'y even want it! They said they had too many now and the market was very soft on Maximas. That car sat on our lot for 6 months before we sent it to the auction. One of the reasons Tls keep there value so well is they don't have a bunch of different packages like the other competitors have . All we ask is Nav or non Nav.You won't see a Type S at Budget Rental! Ever!
Old 02-16-2002, 09:04 PM
Advocatus Diaboli

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LuxSport

Maxima is faster (6spd) and both cars offer stuff Acura doesn't for a cheaper price

-heated steering wheel
-real leather
-nicer bose system

But I would think that the Acura would be more reliable, but the Tl has tones of rattling and transmisison issues. But the TL is faster than the ES300, but the Lexus has by far the best interior.
The interior in the TL-S isn't real leather?
Old 02-16-2002, 09:11 PM
Racer

Cheaper?

Like I said ,yes they are cheaper! That's if you pay cash, which 99% of America doesn't! Now iI will say it again. It will cost you more now and in the end, More for the so called cheaper Infiniti and Maxima than for a leased TL! Not to mention(which I already Did) the terrible resale on the autos you mention.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:13 PM
Racer

Re: Cheaper?

Originally posted by billyvader
Like I said ,yes they are cheaper! That's if you pay cash, which 99% of America doesn't! Now iI will say it again. It will cost you more now and in the end, More for the so called cheaper Infiniti and Maxima than for a leased TL! Not to mention(which I already Did) the terrible resale on the autos you mention.
By the way I saw a Maxima today. In my rear view mirror! LOL
Old 02-16-2002, 09:21 PM
Racer

Thumbs down Lexus

-heated steering wheel
-real leather
-nicer bose system

My best friend has a ES300. He like's it. he likes mine better! Type S He did mention his leather is a bit better , but he's already got a great leather couch! LOL
Old 02-17-2002, 01:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

-heated steering wheel
-real leather
-nicer bose system

A superior navi? Noo, Acura's Alpine system got voted top, next to Lexus. What are you refering to that "birds eye" view $hit? Is that why you think it's superior?
Old 02-17-2002, 07:47 AM
Dr. TLS

-heated steering wheel
B]-real leather

-nicer bose system
[/B]
Yea, but the point is: to make sure you are indeed looking at a Maxima with "real leather", you have to roll down the windows to see if it isn't one of those with regular cloth interior. I don't follow your logic as to how the Maxima and I35 are better deals.
Old 02-17-2002, 04:59 PM
Advanced

The Tl comes with, and I quote "leather surfaced seating", which means FAKE leahter. It is more like vinyl mixed with leather. Go check out the RL seats then compare to the TL seats. What is up with this "Our car comes fully loaded?" And? I can get a fully Max for less money. And? The I35 comes standard with leather too. The Birds Eye view is easier for me to use, and it pops out of the dash, so I won't have to be blinded by that navi light during the night.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Infiniti G35???? give me a break people....LOOK AT THE PHOTOS and it's REAR TAIL LIGHTS!! it looks like an OLD THUNDERBIRD TAIL!!! FOOKIN UGLY...

it's got the ugliest tail so far i'v seen...NO WAY AM I considering that car....I'd rather get WRX..

city
Old 02-17-2002, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The Tl comes with, and I quote "leather surfaced seating", which means FAKE leahter. It is more like vinyl mixed with leather. Go check out the RL seats then compare to the TL seats. What is up with this "Our car comes fully loaded?" And? I can get a fully Max for less money. And? The I35 comes standard with leather too. The Birds Eye view is easier for me to use, and it pops out of the dash, so I won't have to be blinded by that navi light during the night.
Dude, the seating surface is leather, but the edges are leatherette. To me the seats are quite nice. The seating surface is not fake leather. Now the RL seats better be nicer because the car is much more expensive. What do you expect. Now I like the Maximas, always have, but Nissan has completely missed the boat with its rear end. I would NOT buy the Max because of the back end. I also hate the maxs leather, as well as the I35s. It is very boring.
Old 02-17-2002, 05:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The previous generation Maxima was very stylish. I was disappointed in the styling change in the current generation. Because of this, I didn't even consider the Maxima. I do believe it's a solid contender, however, when you take its performance into consideration. It's no TL-S (or even a TL-P, frankly) but has a lot of pep in it for its price.

Acura will sell lots of TL/TL-S units because of people like me who are cheap, but needs to do better with its '04 makeover. If the new '04 model has rear wheel drive with an "ideal" weight distribution ratio like the G35 does, I may consider trading in earlier than I intended.

I've seen the G35 in person, at the Detroit auto show, and think it looks great. Unfortunately, it's not an Acura
Old 02-17-2002, 08:01 PM
Instructor

I think the issue of rear-wheel-drive was brought up in an earlier post and seemed to have a bleek future for the TL unfourtunatly. But I think the TL could get a 6-spd possibly in 2004 or 2005. Who knows, but I wouldnt bet on either. But hey, if they make the TL-S any faster than it already is, it will definately be a strong choice.
Old 02-17-2002, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by neuronbob
The previous generation Maxima was very stylish. I was disappointed in the styling change in the current generation. Because of this, I didn't even consider the Maxima. I do believe it's a solid contender, however, when you take its performance into consideration. It's no TL-S (or even a TL-P, frankly) but has a lot of pep in it for its price.
What does this mean?? The Max is faster than a TL-S. Both cars are good and the best in their class. Choosing either would be a good decision.
Old 02-17-2002, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

So just because the navi is easier for you, it is more superior? Again Acura's alpine got voted one of the top by magazine editors and the consumer alike.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:46 PM
Dr. TLS

The Maxima\I35 are both better deals.
Ok, if you say so.

What does this mean?? The Max is faster than a TL-S. Both cars are good and the best in their class. Choosing either would be a good decision.
Ok, so now you say that they are both good deals. Are you confused or have you changed your mind?
Old 02-18-2002, 10:46 AM

Aesthetics aside, either the Maxima, the I35 or even the G35 are worthy competitors to the TL/S, unfortunately alot of people trash these other cars because of the simple fact that they are competitors. I mean, look at the size, the price, the options and the quality, it's pretty close, although people tend to pick apart the others to convince themselves moreso that they made the right decision, whether you want to admit it or not. I did it when I bought my GS, convincing myself that the E class or 5-series lacked this or that, when in their own right, they had things I wished my car had, there's nothing wrong with it, this is how everyone views competition, attack their weaknesses. I find it rather hard to believe that Nissan pours all their quality into their luxury division (Infiniti) and ignores themselves, I myself had a Sentra that literally refused to die, and the kid I sold it to put an additional 200k miles on it, without problems. This is why you see these posts, TL/S vs.... as people personally feel that these cars present somewhat of a challenge, there's nothing wrong with that.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Honestly I've driven the competing cars.... And I think another aspect the TL has besides prices is ergonimics, the interior layout is superior in the TL in my opinion. That may be a little skewed since I've always enjoyed Honda's layout and design.
Old 02-19-2002, 03:41 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

LexSport,

My suggestion is, if you dont' know what the hell you are talking about, keep your mouth shut as you will get "corrected" very soon....

It's "Leather Seating Surface", not "Leather Surfaced Seating".... Leather Seating Surface simply means that where you back and A$$ meet the seat, it's REAL leather.... the the rest, it's Leatherette/synthatic leather/vinyl..... I can seriously tell you, most so called luxury cars have vinyl(I prefer Leatherette as in reality, Leatherette has better quality than vinyl, though they are pretty much the same thing).... unless you are buying those high end $100K+ luxury cars.... Lexus GS/ES/IS/RX/LX(fully loaded LS and SC has all leather), Any Acura(save NSX), Any Honda, Any Nissan/Infinity, Any Toyota, they all have vinyl here and there.... and they all have "Leather Seating Surface" only.....

You want all leather, buy a S-Class, 7-Series, A8/S8, LS430/SC430.....

P.S. No need to argue with me here... Leather is our family business... we have been in leather business for more than 15 years....

Andy Kuo
Old 02-19-2002, 03:52 PM
Racer

Originally posted by evolaerok

A superior navi? Noo, Acura's Alpine system got voted top, next to Lexus. What are you refering to that "birds eye" view $hit? Is that why you think it's superior?
I also agree that Acura Navi is better!!!
Old 02-19-2002, 04:00 PM
Banned

Damn Arky,

you have to calm your self down.

No need for kiddie flames here.

But seriosly what you said was pretty funny.
It's "Leather Seating Surface", not "Leather Surfaced Seating"....
What ever my man.

Don't kill the guy cuz he didn't say it correctly.

This subject is in the wrong thread.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:21 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

TypeSAcura,

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh when posting that thread, but alot of valid points up there..... every car has its flaws, and alot of time I wish I had the feature other cars have(e.g. RWD, more rigid body/chassis)... yet other cars might want the feature I have on my car(Door Close Assist on S-Class, HID on Acura...etc).... no need to bash competitors.... TLS VS I35 VS Max SE thread has been on for a while.... Everything moves on because of competition, ppl, tecknology are all this way.... we advance because of competition, otherwise we would have 4-speed non-eletronic hydraulic trannies on our TL, and Seal-Beam headlights...

Anyways, I think this thread should be locked as it's going no where...

Mods, please lock the thread when necessary, and/or edit my posts if needed......

Andy Kuo
Old 02-19-2002, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Come on guys, both the Max/I30 and TL are great cars. My cousin has a maxima and I love driving the thing. It is so peppy compared to my TL. It has tons of torque which I like and it handles great. The engine in that car is amazing. I think it is one of the best V6's I have ever driven. The TL on the other hand is great because it has a very luxurious look and feel to it. It's smooth and rides great at all speeds. I like driving both cars. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. Come on, If all these cars were the same, what would be the fun?

Rosh
Old 02-19-2002, 05:12 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by AKRY
TypeSAcura,

Ok, maybe I was a bit harsh when posting that thread, but alot of valid points up there..... every car has its flaws, and alot of time I wish I had the feature other cars have(e.g. RWD, more rigid body/chassis)... yet other cars might want the feature I have on my car(Door Close Assist on S-Class, HID on Acura...etc).... no need to bash competitors.... TLS VS I35 VS Max SE thread has been on for a while.... Everything moves on because of competition, ppl, tecknology are all this way.... we advance because of competition, otherwise we would have 4-speed non-eletronic hydraulic trannies on our TL, and Seal-Beam headlights...

Anyways, I think this thread should be locked as it's going no where...

Mods, please lock the thread when necessary, and/or edit my posts if needed......

Andy Kuo
The thread and what you guys are saying is fine, this is a good debate. Just don't start insulting each others mothers and everything will be good.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

LexSport,

My suggestion is, if you dont' know what the hell you are talking about, keep your mouth shut as you will get "corrected" very soon....

It's "Leather Seating Surface", not "Leather Surfaced Seating".... Leather Seating Surface simply means that where you back and A$$ meet the seat, it's REAL leather.... the the rest, it's Leatherette/synthatic leather/vinyl..... I can seriously tell you, most so called luxury cars have vinyl(I prefer Leatherette as in reality, Leatherette has better quality than vinyl, though they are pretty much the same thing).... unless you are buying those high end $100K+ luxury cars.... Lexus GS/ES/IS/RX/LX(fully loaded LS and SC has all leather), Any Acura(save NSX), Any Honda, Any Nissan/Infinity, Any Toyota, they all have vinyl here and there.... and they all have "Leather Seating Surface" only.....

You want all leather, buy a S-Class, 7-Series, A8/S8, LS430/SC430.....

P.S. No need to argue with me here... Leather is our family business... we have been in leather business for more than 15 years....

Andy Kuo
So about bmw and it's leather option... I forgot how much I paid, but I order the leather option, was my 323ci all leather or leather seating surfice?
Old 02-21-2002, 06:51 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

So about bmw and it's leather option... I forgot how much I paid, but I order the leather option, was my 323ci all leather or leather seating surfice?
In your case, it's half way in between... more leather than "Leather Seating Surface", but less than "Full Leather"... Your seating surfaces, side bolsters, headrests, rear seat cushions/back/headrests should be in leather... but the back side of the seabacks and door panels are in Leatherette.....

Have Leatherette isn't really a bad thing though... as Leatherette is much better made now... and some of the best ones made(BMW ones are very good, even better than MB's MB-Tex(MB's own leatherette)) really feels/looks like real deal... yet, Leatherette is MUCH more durable than leather, and needs less attention to keep clean.... most of the time, they won't discolor and/or crack at all....

Andy Kuo
Old 02-21-2002, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

In your case, it's half way in between... more leather than "Leather Seating Surface", but less than "Full Leather"... Your seating surfaces, side bolsters, headrests, rear seat cushions/back/headrests should be in leather... but the back side of the seabacks and door panels are in Leatherette.....

Have Leatherette isn't really a bad thing though... as Leatherette is much better made now... and some of the best ones made(BMW ones are very good, even better than MB's MB-Tex(MB's own leatherette)) really feels/looks like real deal... yet, Leatherette is MUCH more durable than leather, and needs less attention to keep clean.... most of the time, they won't discolor and/or crack at all....

Andy Kuo
Thanks.... Man I miss my Bimmer now.....
Old 02-22-2002, 10:53 AM
Banned

Thanks.... Man I miss my Bimmer now.....

I wish i have a bimmer
Old 02-22-2002, 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by TypeSAcura

I wish i have a bimmer
LoLz! It's a Korean thing...j/k:p I had the bimmer before the TL and I had a lot of problems w/ it....
Old 02-22-2002, 12:18 PM
Instructor

Lux sport you wouldn't own a nissan product would you? I do think 2003 TL-S sells will drop do to the fact everyones horsepower numbers are increasing drasticallly. Acura may lose a few sells to the I 35 (255 horse, much slower then TLS) I doubt the Nissan maxima will steal too many sells for someone looking to buy a Luxury car i.e. Infiniti, Acura Lexus etc. Even if the 6 spd SE is a tick faster.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:29 PM
tea elle

Oh no.....is this guy LuxSport going to be the next "MBTelecom"?

Hey Lux, do us all a favor and get your facts together before you make comments like the one you made about the TL having fake leather seats. And this quote....does your use of two questions instead of one actually mean anything? Are you just so dumbfounded by what the other guy wrote, or are you simply being condescending?
Old 02-22-2002, 02:44 PM
Advanced

I am not some Honda bashin fool. I just believe that they are better deals. And I know what I am talking about. My mom which knows nothing about cars drives a 2002 3.5RL. Did she know what a RL was? hell no. She knew what a legend, Q45, and LS400 were though.

I took her car shopping and I made her get the RL because it suited her better than a V8 RWD car. The RL has tons of safety features and that is why i made her get it. If the car was for me, I would have got the Q45.

The TL is a good car, but I think u get more for the money at nissan. What does the TLS do in 0-60?? I remember tha Altima 5spd doing 0-60 in 5.9secs and the Max auto doing it in 6.28. But speed isn't everything.

Just go test drive both cars and then decide
Old 02-22-2002, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BLUBYU
Lux sport you wouldn't own a nissan product would you? I do think 2003 TL-S sells will drop do to the fact everyones horsepower numbers are increasing drasticallly. Acura may lose a few sells to the I 35 (255 horse, much slower then TLS) I doubt the Nissan maxima will steal too many sells for someone looking to buy a Luxury car i.e. Infiniti, Acura Lexus etc. Even if the 6 spd SE is a tick faster.
The I35 and maxima won't steal too sales away from the tl-s.

Those 2 cars have been around ever since the tls. The tls is clearly a better choice.

What the tls gotta watch out for is the new Infiniti G35. I must say the numbers look incredible. The performance numbers will beat the tls in all catagories.

Heres hoping that the G35 is ugly as h@ll
Old 02-22-2002, 03:28 PM
tea elle

I took her car shopping and I made her get the RL because it suited her better than a V8 RWD car. The RL has tons of safety features and that is why i made her get it. If the car was for me, I would have got the Q45.

The TL is a good car, but I think u get more for the money at nissan. What does the TLS do in 0-60?? I remember tha Altima 5spd doing 0-60 in 5.9secs and the Max auto doing it in 6.28. But speed isn't everything.

Well, I give you credit for being a good son.

Buy your second paragraph about how fast the Altima is, and the question "what does the TLS do in 0-60??"...dude, get it together. The TLS has the fastest 0-60 time in its class last I heard, and the Altima is kind of a stupid comparison....that car is nowhere near the car that the TLS is, besides the fact that it looks like a Passat with anger management issues. Come on!

Quick Reply: Acura TL-S 2003 sales