Acura Tl not starting? Immobilizer? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 04:25 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura Tl not starting? Immobilizer? HELP!!

So my 1999 acura tl with 93,000 miles is giving me intermittent starting problems. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. I noticed that
when I try starting it and it fails the green key light blinks as im cranking.
It cranks fast and healthy just doesn't fire. Other times it starts right up no problems hickups or hard starts ever. I went through all my fuses including under the hood and the side panel on the inside of the car and everything check out ok. I read a thread about disabling the immobilizer? can anyone help me out and give my a DIY so I can do this and get it out of the way, I hate worrying about taking my TL out and getting stranded.
The following users liked this post:
WendyWilliam Kerr (12-20-2020)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Research the ignition switch, as it was a big problem for these earlier TL's.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:20 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Research the ignition switch, as it was a big problem for these earlier TL's.

From what I understand about doing a little reading is that the TL's shuts off while driving is a symptom of a bad ignition switch?
Mine just intermittently does not start. Once its started after like a million cranks then it runs fine for a few days or even sometimes weeks but outa nowhere it will just crank and not fire.
Old 08-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Has your car's ignition switch ever been replaced ? There was a recall on these. A faulty switch could cause the car to not start. It's not an expensive part and an easy DIY.
If the switch has been recently replaced, then check the relay and wiring for problems. Otherwise, the interlock system may be on the edge.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 AM
J-series addict

Received 615 Likes on 465 Posts
If the green key light is blinking, this most certainly means that the immobilizer has detected an issue or does not recognize the key. Do you have any other keys and have you tried them? If it still won't start, the problem is a hard fault and will more than likely require a security component to be replaced or wiring repairs. What series of events led up to this? There are four fuses you can check just to ensure its not that:
-drivers fuse block fuses 1 (15A) and 13 (7.5A)
-passengers fuse block fuse 13 (7.5A)
-engine fuse block fuse 46 (15A)

All four fuses listed have some sort of circuitry relation into the immobilizer system.
The following 2 users liked this post by yungone501:
3.2TLc (09-19-2012), theaceofdc (04-12-2014)
Old 08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by yungone501
If the green key light is blinking, this most certainly means that the immobilizer has detected an issue or does not recognize the key. Do you have any other keys and have you tried them? If it still won't start, the problem is a hard fault and will more than likely require a security component to be replaced or wiring repairs. What series of events led up to this? There are four fuses you can check just to ensure its not that:
-drivers fuse block fuses 1 (15A) and 13 (7.5A)
-passengers fuse block fuse 13 (7.5A)
-engine fuse block fuse 46 (15A)

All four fuses listed have some sort of circuitry relation into the immobilizer system.
No I don't have any other spare keys besides the 1 I only have and the dealer is charging me 120 to make a copy which I think is outrageous. I checked all the fuses u stated above. Now when you mean a security component, if I just remove the immobilizer from the Ecu It should let me car start right? I do understand it will throw a code and turn my check engine light and it will make it easier to steal my car but honestly I don't care because I already have a check engine light from 02 sensor and nobody will steal my car anyways. So will this solve my problem
Old 08-31-2012, 01:41 PM
10th Gear

And did Absolutly nothing to the car to make it trigger such a problem. Never messed with electrical or anything just checked fuses brakes and oil changes. Outa nowhere it will start and run fine and it will start for a good few days then bam again nothing. Just sits there for days
Old 08-31-2012, 02:37 PM
10th Gear

Also noticed that when the green key light stops blinking the car starts but if it starts blinking while cranking it doesn't let it start
Old 08-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 556 Likes on 446 Posts
Worst case scenario, bad Immobilizer unit. Might need to get a new ECU or just gut the Immobilizer out of yours. Ladder option will leave a CEL.

Maybe just get it diagnosed by a mechanic?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:21 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Karanx7
Worst case scenario, bad Immobilizer unit. Might need to get a new ECU or just gut the Immobilizer out of yours. Ladder option will leave a CEL.

Maybe just get it diagnosed by a mechanic?
Im leaning towards gutting my immobilizer out of my ECU I dont care about a CEL and Iv taken it to my mechanic 3 times and everytime I leave it there for 3 or 4 days sometimes a whole week and the freaking car starts right up no issues. As soon as I bring it home and try to start it in the morning for work it starts acting up. Can anyone give me a DIY on how to access my ECU and remove it. I know Its in the middle of the dash somewhere under the radio but when I looked I saw 2 boxes that looked liked ECU's just not sure which 1 it is and I cant really access it only can see a little of it.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:33 PM
Intermediate

I had the same problem, it's usually the ignition switch, there has been 3 recalls on it already due to there is too much current going through the switch at the time of ignition, the contacts in the switch wear out because of that, I just did mine but I'm having a bigger issue atm, maybe similar to yours. My car starts fine for the first 30 seconds or so, then TCS comes on and the engine won't rev past 3k and then she'll just die

Last edited by nerosurge; 08-31-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Do you have any other keys on your key ring? If they have an immobilizer chip in them they have been known to trigger the issue. I think i would start out with buying a new immobilizer unit #14 (57 bucks) and see if that fixes it.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by nerosurge
I had the same problem, it's usually the ignition switch, there has been 3 recalls on it already due to there is too much current going through the switch at the time of ignition, the contacts in the switch wear out because of that, I just did mine but I'm having a bigger issue atm, maybe similar to yours. My car starts fine for the first 30 seconds or so, then TCS comes on and the engine won't rev past 3k and then she'll just die
Thats not your ignition. Get the codes read. What codes are coming up.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Okay, so I was able to get to Advanced Auto no problem didn't stall or nothing! Even after all the stalling it did earlier today, The codes that are showing up are: P1361, P1366: Top Dead Center Noise. Only 2 codes, the O2 sensor code isn't showing up but that'sprob cause I d/c'd the battery.

My buddy tells me that it's a sensor but where it's located is beyond me, upside, I do have the Haynes manual so page references would be helpful

Last edited by nerosurge; 08-31-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

So I need a new TDC sensor, Autozone is ordering one for me by tomorrow, I just need to figure out how to replace one of these. ffttyms1, There is a thread you replied to awhile back that contained a picture on how to replace but the link is broken.
Here's the thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=TDC+Sensor

Also 1Fast, this may be the problem you're having I'll let ya know if this works just gotta wait for part to come in.
The following users liked this post:
paulgeorge (01-27-2022)
Old 09-02-2012, 02:29 PM
10th Gear

Well I cant pull the codes while the car is disabled because I dont have scanner or anything like that but as soon as I got it started and got the codes pulled the only thing that came up was 02 sensor and transmission shift code or something and thats because my tranny is slipping, known problems with these damn TL's !
So it doesnt throw or store any codes when its started. Any other Ideas? Im getting someone to come to my house and make me a new key and everything because the dealer wants 130 ONLY TO PROGRAM A KEY!! retarded!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
I don't remember what chain it is by me, (thinking autozone?) But one of them will actually rent out tools to you, so u can bring it home and scan as well, without having to start it up & bring it there, might be worth calling around and asking ones in ur area
Old 09-03-2012, 01:06 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
130 to program a key!?!?!? HOLY FUCKING DOG SHIT!!!! the most I've ever paid for a new key to get cut and programmed was no more than 45 bucks!!! What a fucking rip off!!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am having similar problems with my '99 TL. the car starts, usually, but will stall and the "key" icon lites up on the dash. I also tried all 3 keys I have for it: put in key, start car, wiggle key, and it stalls. So it's something in the switch/ignition module area. I know the '99 tL had many problems with the ignition switch assembly, and my car has had both recalls performed on it in the past.
My question: is it probably just the switch assembly, a relatively cheap replacement, or do I need the whole module with Immobilizer assembly, etc, which is a couple hundred plus probably re-coding everything?? I can probably do the replacement but then if I can't start the car it won't help.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Hey Procharlie, how's it going ? If I'm understanding you correctly, your car will start ok, then stall out. If that is the case, then to me it'd appear as though your ignition switch is turning the car's motor over successfully. The problem may be that the motor is starving for fuel......maybe ?
Make sure that the fuel pump is energizing and supplying fuel to the injectors. Check relay and connections. It also could be an interlock.

Just some things to think about, as it may end up being the switch or immobilizer....?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by procharlie
I am having similar problems with my '99 TL. the car starts, usually, but will stall and the "key" icon lites up on the dash. I also tried all 3 keys I have for it: put in key, start car, wiggle key, and it stalls. So it's something in the switch/ignition module area. I know the '99 tL had many problems with the ignition switch assembly, and my car has had both recalls performed on it in the past.
My question: is it probably just the switch assembly, a relatively cheap replacement, or do I need the whole module with Immobilizer assembly, etc, which is a couple hundred plus probably re-coding everything?? I can probably do the replacement but then if I can't start the car it won't help.
It's the ignition switch, $60 at autozone and it's a 1 to 10 a level 2 difficulty to replace it. Don't bother going to the dealer waste of money. Get it replaced now or the car may turn off while you're driving on the highway which really sucks btw.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1fast Lorinser
So my 1999 acura tl with 93,000 miles is giving me intermittent starting problems. Sometimes it starts and sometimes it doesn't. I noticed that
It cranks fast and healthy just doesn't fire. Other times it starts right up no problems hickups or hard starts ever. I went through all my fuses including under the hood and the side panel on the inside of the car and everything check out ok. I read a thread about disabling the immobilizer? can anyone help me out and give my a DIY so I can do this and get it out of the way, I hate worrying about taking my TL out and getting stranded.
This persons thread sounds like the same problem I have been trying to troubleshoot with my other thread 99acura tl wont start!! Tell us the solution!?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Exclamation similar - read the link posted below

here is a link to my thread! If it doesnt work let is know.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/green-light-key-symbol-101-what-does-actually-indicate-889241/
Old 06-10-2013, 08:08 PM
Unregistered Member

It might be your ignition switch (common problem on the 99TL), or it might be your immobilizer unit. I made a short video to help you find out which one it is:

If your key is flashing before you even start trying to crank the car, your immobilizer isn't recognizing your key. You can try replacing the $70 immobilizer unit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Karanx7:
RONE (04-09-2014), tlmane03 (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Karanx7
It might be your ignition switch (common problem on the 99TL), or it might be your immobilizer unit. I made a short video to help you find out which one it is:

Acura Honda Immobilizer Issues - YouTube

If your key is flashing before you even start trying to crank the car, your immobilizer isn't recognizing your key. You can try replacing the $70 immobilizer unit.

Bro that is absolutely kind of you! To take the time not just to quickly try and help by typing something out,

You actually made a video specifically just to be a help to another stranger. Plus it seems the only reason you did this was simply out of kindness and a desire to be a help.

Cheers

With that said, I think on my tl it has something to do with the immobilizer. It is not the ignition switch I changed it not long ago and like everyone else says if it is that going then the car ususally can cut out randomly while car is in use. That is not happening here. Just like in your video the time it did not work, that seems alot like what I am refferring to.

Supa Thanks!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks again for your interest in helping a stranger out. It my friend is not without great appreciation. May other people notice your act of kindness and do unto others as they would want done to them.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Instructor

replaced immobilizer, still have same problem car starting sometimes.

-Replaced the immobilizer with a new one. (assuming tech really did) When the tech tried to start it, took him bunch of cranks to get it to turn on. Took it home, let it sit for awhile. Tried it again few hrs later green key light wouldnt even come on at all. Waited until night started first try?

-other than the wiring is there anything else it could be?

-If I were to replace wiring, which? guy at the service desk simply said the wiring harness?

When I asked the tech what he thinks it could be he said he has no idea?

$102 hr for diagnostics vs new wiring to or from immobilizer?????

Do you have any other keys on your key ring? If they have an immobilizer chip in them they have been known to trigger the issue. I think i would start out with buying a new immobilizer unit #14 (57 bucks) and see if that fixes it.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:11 AM
Instructor

Question

Also noticed that when the green key light stops blinking the car starts but if it starts blinking while cranking it doesn't let it start
same thing with my car!

and sometimes the green key light ont he dash again somtimes NEVER lights up throught the whole process?
Old 06-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by tlmane03
somtimes NEVER lights up throught the whole process?
There's a pin that comes directly from the ECU for that light. It might be a problem with the immobilizer unit inside the ECU =[[[.

I'd give you my spare ECU to see if that fixes the problem, but it's for an 02 TL. Ask around if someone can lend you a known good 99TL ECU.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Instructor

car is slowly leaking oil, like any car that is a 99 might. with that said

Old 08-04-2013, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

used car dealer placed a kill switch on my tl so they can disable engine when I don't make monthly payment...know how I can disable so I can be able to drive regardless?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally Posted by ackrite856
used car dealer placed a kill switch on my tl so they can disable engine when I don't make monthly payment...know how I can disable so I can be able to drive regardless?
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's hilarious!

But seriously, fuck you. Pay your car payments.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Angry slow leak....

Originally Posted by tlmane03
car is slowly leaking oil, like any car that is a 99 might. with that said
Try to locate the slow leak.....before it gets worse.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 PM
2nd Gear

my 2000 TL has same problem just as you stated currently as I type. I tried reprograming new keys but car just starts when it feels like doing so am just trying, I just ordered Immobilizer unit hoping when I install this would be the problem this problem has me very stressed out ever since car left me stranded couple times on road tow truck had to tow it to my house car starts when it feel like when it does not start the green key light flashes on dash .can anyone help me with this problem opinions anything..
Old 09-17-2013, 07:28 PM
2nd Gear

From what I understand about doing a little reading is that the TL's shuts off while driving is a symptom of a bad ignition switch?
Mine just intermittently does not start. Once its started after like a million cranks then it runs fine for a few days or even sometimes weeks but outa nowhere it will just crank and not fire.
Can you tell me please what you did to get this problem solved
Old 04-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
All -

I am having similar issues. Symptoms seems to point to the Ignition switch - random shutting down while driving. Sometimes engine shuts down for a couple of seconds, dash lights come on, then it the engine comes back to life without me doing anything at all. Lately, I'll be driving and the engine will shut down completely. Pull over, crank, and it might start up, might not. Wait a few minutes and it starts right up.

I replaced the ignition switch but just had the same issue with complete engine shutdown.

I'm leaning toward the immobilizer circuit.

What is the best way to test it?

Is there a way to connect something that will definitively show that circuit is keeping the engine from running during this intermittent shut down?

Thanks for any help.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I think I found a smoking gun, removed the main relay and noted a cracked solder joint on pin 1 of one of the relays. Soldered them all up, will test drive for a few days and see if the problem comes back.

The ignition switch replacement might have been unnecessary, but seemed like the likely culprit initially. We will see....
Old 01-10-2015, 08:07 PM
2nd Gear

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for the help.

I'm having the same issue where my car would be able to turn on to the ignition II and it would crank but it does not start. This happened after the night of the storm in Bay Area. I'm assuming the rain might have something to do with it. I read through the post today and tried checking the fuses that links to the immobilizer but all seems fine. Before I unplug the fuse from the passenger side the key light would continue to blink but it would shut off if the fuse was unplugged. The weirdest part was after I checked all the fuse and re plug them, my car started back up but then it wouldn't start the second try after I turned it the car off.

Can this be a bad switch again? I did have that changed out around 5 years ago.

I will try tomorrow to unplug the fuse and telling to see if it works again but hopefully someone here can me some other insights.

Thank you!
Old 05-01-2016, 03:54 PM
1st Gear

Same problem

I have the same problem with my '08. When it happens I take off the positive terminal to the battery and put it right back on. The car then starts right up until the next time it won't start. Tired of doing that though.