Acura replaces transmission, next day head gasket blows

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 04:57 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TLer trash
I don't know if you do or don't think it's a possibility, but these photos don't show the area I was referring to. Just open your hood and look at where the top bolt on the front motor mount goes into the block. It looks really close to the block drain and water jacket. I was skeptical that the dealer was at fault at first, but by just looking at it, I'm now suspicious.
pictures where just to show that it was an aluminum block nothing more
Old 06-15-2010, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by friesm2000
dealers are sometimes the biggest butchers out there
You are right about that my friend. I have an 05 Toy Highlander that was leaking at the transfer case vent last winter. I check the TSB, it said that Toy would replace it under power train warranty 5/60. Mine was within time length and mileage. I took it to the dealer to have them check it out for me (didn't show him the TSB though). I was pissed that the service manager told me after they checked it out, he said that "it's ok, it's not leaking that bad, my Dodge truck is slow leaking like that too ".
So i showed him the 20 pages long TSB. Now he's little shaky, he's like" Okay we will fix it for you under warranty, this job will take 12hr to do".
The service manager wasn't a butcher but he's very good in pretending that he doesn't know anything about the recall.
Got the Toy back after 2 days at the dealer, had the car on the lift and found that they lost 2 exhaust donut hangers, missing bracket for the flex pipe, a new o2 sensor(the tech broke the old one ?) couple of broken bolts in the aluminum oil pan where the flex pipe bracket bolted to.
So i brought it back and have them fix every little thing that they messed up. They didn't look to happy, but i'm happy.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
in my experience it takes a full redline to hurt the head gasket- and then its 6 months later it goes
Of course driving with it redlined is death

If the rad is low it may not pull coolant over from the res, and cause problems like air block behind thermostat

First thing is get it out of their hands and to someone honest who will document the strangeness for you
If they drilled wrong its on them to supply a good replacement motor- rebuilt not junkyard

I have in my past- had to drill broken rusty bolt out of water pump on a bummer 5 series
- with the right angle drill, working pretty much blind, for a loooonnnnnnng lonnnnnnng frustrating `this car is eating my lunch`` period of time and attempts

How easy it would have been to cause permanent effup- I was lucky

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 06-15-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Team Owner

I think fries posted all the pics because he found something to bust me on and had a field day with it~
Its alright- I deserved this one

engines are not made from cast aluminum- what was I thinking!!
I watch How Its Made
Old 06-15-2010, 06:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I think fries posted all the pics because he found something to bust me on and had a field day with it~

I watch How Its Made
You are busted lol (j/k
Old 06-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Wow ! I feel like such a noob !

I also was convinced it was a cast iron block with aluminum heads. Had I known this when I replaced my front mount, I would have been much more "respectful" removing and replacing the bolts. I will also be more careful when tightening any bolts going into the engine now that I know it's aluminum ! In either case, my position regarding the facts of the matter remain unchanged.

P.S. Great picture of the timing belt and tensioner layout !

smartypants

Last edited by smartypants; 06-15-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:47 PM
B A N N E D

I watch How Its Made
and just wait for MORE (in another thread about a certian manifold )

Originally Posted by smartypants
Wow ! I feel like such a noob !

I also was convinced it was a cast iron block with aluminum heads. Had I known this when I replaced my front mount, I would have been much more "respectful" removing and replacing the bolts. I will also be more careful when tightening any bolts going into the engine now that I know it's aluminum ! In either case, my position regarding the facts of the matter remain unchanged.

P.S. Great picture of the timing belt and tensioner layout !

smartypants
plenty of domestics out there still like that, but yeah honda is a little more advanced then that (shit honda has had aluminum blocks and aluminum heads on all their motors since at least like 1990, so a good 20 years (minus the passport, and acura SLX, which are Isuzu's which in reality have GM motors in them

lol did not mean for that , but yeah water pump is behind where that mount goes where you see the belt coming down from the two cams

Last edited by friesm2000; 06-15-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:52 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by piggylover1985
You are right about that my friend. I have an 05 Toy Highlander that was leaking at the transfer case vent last winter. I check the TSB, it said that Toy would replace it under power train warranty 5/60. Mine was within time length and mileage. I took it to the dealer to have them check it out for me (didn't show him the TSB though). I was pissed that the service manager told me after they checked it out, he said that "it's ok, it's not leaking that bad, my Dodge truck is slow leaking like that too ".
So i showed him the 20 pages long TSB. Now he's little shaky, he's like" Okay we will fix it for you under warranty, this job will take 12hr to do".
The service manager wasn't a butcher but he's very good in pretending that he doesn't know anything about the recall.
Got the Toy back after 2 days at the dealer, had the car on the lift and found that they lost 2 exhaust donut hangers, missing bracket for the flex pipe, a new o2 sensor(the tech broke the old one ?) couple of broken bolts in the aluminum oil pan where the flex pipe bracket bolted to.
So i brought it back and have them fix every little thing that they messed up. They didn't look to happy, but i'm happy.
yeah quite common, any of the horzionatial mounted motor, V6 AWD vehicles, seem to like to do that for some reason , don't ask why, but yeah i have noticed it also, at least withen the past couple of years, once the new vehicles have finally started to get to the independent shops
Old 06-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm getting the car back tomorrow. It's going to run me $1100.. I'll post the work order and I'm going to take it to a mechanic I know to check it out.

I happened to take pictures of the car the day I got it back from the transmission job, b/c like I said, I was going to sell it (until the next day when the car over heated...). Anyway, I figured I'd post the pics of the engine compartment b/c quite honestly, I know shit about cars.. Maybe there's something that sticks out to someone? Again, these pics were taken the day I got the car back from the transmission repair (and the day before the car overheated, needed new head gaskets..)

The leak in my driveway wasn't huge, but definitely noticeable.. Maybe a foot in diameter..

Also, the service manager said the car had coolant - it wasn't low on coolant.. It just overheated b/c of air pockets, exhaust gasses leaking or whatever.. He said the only coolant that was leaking out was from the overflow bottle..

I drove the car 35 miles home from the dealership - noticed the leak in my driveway, drove it back to dealership about 30 miles till it overheated..

Anyway, here's the pics.. I doubt they really show anything.. I'll post an update tomorrow when I get the car back.. They said they put on 30 miles on it and it was driving fine now, so we'll see...

Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by hyperxterm
I'm getting the car back tomorrow. It's going to run me $1100.. I'll post the work order and I'm going to take it to a mechanic I know to check it out.

I happened to take pictures of the car the day I got it back from the transmission job, b/c like I said, I was going to sell it (until the next day when the car over heated...). Anyway, I figured I'd post the pics of the engine compartment b/c quite honestly, I know shit about cars.. Maybe there's something that sticks out to someone? Again, these pics were taken the day I got the car back from the transmission repair (and the day before the car overheated, needed new head gaskets..)

The leak in my driveway wasn't huge, but definitely noticeable.. Maybe a foot in diameter..

Also, the service manager said the car had coolant - it wasn't low on coolant.. It just overheated b/c of air pockets, exhaust gasses leaking or whatever.. He said the only coolant that was leaking out was from the overflow bottle..

I drove the car 35 miles home from the dealership - noticed the leak in my driveway, drove it back to dealership about 30 miles till it overheated..

Anyway, here's the pics.. I doubt they really show anything.. I'll post an update tomorrow when I get the car back.. They said they put on 30 miles on it and it was driving fine now, so we'll see...

yes, dripped fluids make large spots when spilled, but not exactly a small spot there, shouda have probably been checked out locally or towed

and if you can somehow prove that it had indeed dripped in your driveways, something either went horrible wrong on the drive home, or something was not right when it left the dealer (or you had something horrible wrong beforehand idk)

as far as anything thing sanding out, engine bay is FILTHY first of all, then this is kinda unrelated but that amp power cable kinda looks like a butchered job to me

Last edited by friesm2000; 06-17-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

Here's a pic of the leak.. I had it parked for about 3 hours, then moved it in the middle of driveway to take the pics..

Old 06-17-2010, 10:47 PM
B A N N E D

ALSO I SEE COOLANT, (and looks like prestone or something by the very green look of it)
Old 06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
B A N N E D

Here's a pic of the leak.. I had it parked for about 3 hours, then moved it in the middle of driveway to take the pics..

yeah hard to tell exact size of leak, since it looks like it had mostly soaked in, but still decent sized though; also your front tire looks low for some reason in that photo also
Old 06-17-2010, 10:54 PM
Cruisin'

ALSO I SEE COOLANT, (and looks like prestone or something by the very green look of it)
Thanks for pointing it out.. I'll take some pics when I get it back and post them for comparison..
Old 06-17-2010, 10:59 PM
B A N N E D

Thanks for pointing it out.. I'll take some pics when I get it back and post them for comparison..
there is no green that is down there, so something is not right, and I THINK the dealer is indeed at fault, with not reconnecting (or reclamping) a coolant line when doing the tranny, and basically it pumped it self dry enough, which then caused it to overheat
Old 06-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Racer

Sorry to hear this Hyper :

You probably have very little recourse now. All the evidense will be gone unless you can pinpoint where the leak actually was and be able to analyse the repair to ascertain original fault. I would be very skeptical of the details in the work order unless we all missed something obvious.

I think you need to move on and enjoy life !

smartypants
Old 06-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Cruisin'

Ok, so I picked up the car today. Paid the $1100 for the head gaskets, drive the car home (temperature gauge is OK), minute I pull into my driveway -- the front of the car starts smoking and it smells like something burning (coolant....). Coolant was spitting out of the plastic overflow tank and left a nice new leak under the car..

Now, I call back the Acura Dealership tell them what happened and this time they suggest that I have it towed back (this is the THIRD TIME getting it towed in there in the past ~10 days) instead of driving it back ("b/c we don't want something to happen to the engine").. Too bad they didn't suggest that the first time I called when I got the transmission fixed, maybe I wouldn't be out an extra grand for head gaskets.

I called the Acura Corp. 800 number again and explained the situation. They put in a second report and suggested I wait until they look at it again and if it's still not resolved they can act as a "liaison" between me and the dealership to make sure they are doing everything they should be doing.. blah blah blah...

I just want the car to be fixed so I can stop dealing with these people.. Believe me, I have much better things to do then deal with this bullshit!

Last edited by hyperxterm; 06-18-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Cruisin'

there is no green that is down there, so something is not right, and I THINK the dealer is indeed at fault, with not reconnecting (or reclamping) a coolant line when doing the tranny, and basically it pumped it self dry enough, which then caused it to overheat
Turns out the green in the picture you circled was just green paint they had on the new bolts.. It was still there when I picked it up.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Team Owner

since the tech suggested timing belt water pump and customer declined- and if the water pump dies on the way home...thats not the shops fault according to the law-
customer declined repair

however I hope you got the thermostat back to test it- was it bad or did they cover up a hose left loose
Old 06-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Racer

since the tech suggested timing belt water pump and customer declined- and if the water pump dies on the way home...thats not the shops fault according to the law-
customer declined repair

however I hope you got the thermostat back to test it- was it bad or did they cover up a hose left loose
+1. Not that many shop will admit that they screwed it up. Always something else not under their control.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Racer

Ask for the faulty thermostat so you can get it "professionally tested". Betcha they lost it !

smartypants
Old 06-18-2010, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

all parts not specifically requested by the customer to be saved...are in the trash that night
In this case- maybe the SM thought ahead that legal issues may arise and blame abound--and saved the parts,,as if you can identify your part....
Wont hurt to ask them if they have your old parts
Old 06-20-2010, 12:40 AM
B A N N E D

Turns out the green in the picture you circled was just green paint they had on the new bolts.. It was still there when I picked it up.
first of all, how much paint did they use

and as far as the thermostat, a very real possibility, but still very suspicious though, for it to immediately happen after you get the car though
Old 06-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
[QUOTE=hyperxterm;12107701]Ok, so I picked up the car today. Paid the $1100 for the head gaskets, drive the car home (temperature gauge is OK), minute I pull into my driveway -- the front of the car starts smoking and it smells like something burning (coolant....). Coolant was spitting out of the plastic overflow tank and left a nice new leak under the car..

If coolant is coming out of the overflow tank, either the cooling system wasn't bled correctly or more likely there is a blown head gasket again.

My opinion is the dealership did something wrong to cause the original head gasket problem and now the heads are warped causing the new head gaskets to fail.

I would have a radiator shop pressure test the cooling system and check the coolant for exhaust gases.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Team Owner

get acura corp involved 1-800-382-2238x5
tell the minimum wage phone person you need a manager to call you back about dealership damage to vehicle
Old 06-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
Sounds like it's time for a lawyer as well.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

lets go back a month before this all happend

Did the temp EVER venture above half--it should stay at 1-2 clicks below half in normal operation- even extreme operation,, uphill, hot day, high altitude, ac blasting~

the thermostat to fail dramtically in 1 day is very strange
Seems like it would start acting up a little bit and not noticed as real problem
then a month of that and it finally went

If this was the original coolant in the engine up till then, its real easy to see thermostat as an crud and failure issue,
coolant might last 7 years on the oe stuff according to the book,,
but 5 years is about the real limit on most brands-per their labeling

after that additives go acidic in aluminum environment..anyone remember from science class or on tv science whats next?

from a legal point (as a former shop operator)
blown head gasket mandates a new thermostat and radiator pulled out of the car for cleaning

Is this the car they had to drill a bolt from motor mount?
whats up with that being inspected by another shop for intrusion to water port?
possible thats the cause and they say thermostat to cover azzzzzxs

Not very hard to keep an old bad unit laying in a junk pile...with one of each thing you may be called upon to show a customer,,belts plugs wp etc
How would you know if they were from your car?

oh the stories..you dont want to know behind the scenes of auto repair
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 PM
B A N N E D

lets go back a month before this all happend

Did the temp EVER venture above half--it should stay at 1-2 clicks below half in normal operation- even extreme operation,, uphill, hot day, high altitude, ac blasting~

the thermostat to fail dramtically in 1 day is very strange
Seems like it would start acting up a little bit and not noticed as real problem
then a month of that and it finally went

If this was the original coolant in the engine up till then, its real easy to see thermostat as an crud and failure issue,
coolant might last 7 years on the oe stuff according to the book,,
but 5 years is about the real limit on most brands-per their labeling

after that additives go acidic in aluminum environment..anyone remember from science class or on tv science whats next?

from a legal point (as a former shop operator)
blown head gasket mandates a new thermostat and radiator pulled out of the car for cleaning

Is this the car they had to drill a bolt from motor mount?
whats up with that being inspected by another shop for intrusion to water port?
possible thats the cause and they say thermostat to cover azzzzzxs

Not very hard to keep an old bad unit laying in a junk pile...with one of each thing you may be called upon to show a customer,,belts plugs wp etc
How would you know if they were from your car?

oh the stories..you dont want to know behind the scenes of auto repair
, 12,000 ft here at some passes here, but i have not gone up them yet, partly due to my tranny lol, but even being a mile high (5280), mine is still at the second tick down from the middle with the A/C blasting
Old 06-24-2010, 12:02 AM
Team Owner

right on! fries found another thing we can agree on~
Old 06-24-2010, 12:17 AM
B A N N E D

right on! fries found another thing we can agree on~
lol

but yeah my tranny has puked itself again out the vent tube for a second time this past saturday, refilled it AGAIN, then flushed it, and basically back to like how it was before (just aahair bit harsher i would say though) (also it has has the death code once before too, cleared and has never came back since)

this time definetly not help that we were cruising at like 100 for like over an hour

Last edited by friesm2000; 06-24-2010 at 12:19 AM.