acura emmisions light

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010 | 07:26 PM
4th Gear

acura emmisions light

emmissions light came on - recently i thought i heard the muffler rattling like a weld broke and it was shaking back and forth, but visually found nothing - read it could be a missing gas cap - but it's not missing. car has 145k

also - right before the light came on i think i felt 3rd or 4th gear slip - low rpms, no problem - gas it - problem

could there be a connection
Old 01-13-2010 | 07:34 PM

lol the 3rd 4th gear Slips sound like a Doom Tranny on its way out!!!
More if the problem is 3 > 4 so cross your fingers

The emission should have give you an OBD code so check it on your local Autozone to know exactly whats going on. the problem sound consistant to a Cat problem check if your not leaking before and right after the Cat. if thats not the problem the OBD code should light your path..
Old 01-13-2010 | 07:42 PM
4th Gear

this transmission was recalled and replace at 80k - what about clutch master cylinder?
what's a CAT problem? the emissions light that's on is just on the dash - i read the manual to know that much - thanks for answering
Old 01-13-2010 | 07:46 PM
4th Gear

this transmission was recalled and replace at 80k - what about clutch master cylinder?
what's a CAT problem? the emissions light that's on is just on the dash - i read the manual to know that much - thanks for answering
Old 01-13-2010 | 07:47 PM

Catalytic Converter problem if you think your exhaust is loose then check the gaskets in there since they are directly conected to the O2 Sensors if the Before Cat Sensor is leaking then the After O2 will give you wrong lecture and vice-versa. making the Mix fuel/Air ratio unstable thereafter Emission light pop on.

if your tranny was indeed recalled like most of all members in Acurazine does it will damage again none the less, the problem rely on its design even Acura´s TL 04-05 have issues with the tranny and since yours was replace it at 80000K and now its 145000K your running on spare time issually these trannys dont last that long enough buddy. people here have had up to 10 trannys changed im on my 2nd..... good luck with it

Last edited by Skirmich; 01-13-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-13-2010 | 08:03 PM
4th Gear

gee - thanks for making my night! the first one they paid for - since the problem is the design (heat build up that ends in chewed gear teeth- from what i read on the recall detail) will the dealer replace it?- i guess i shouldn't hold my breath on this one, huh? how much for your #2?
Old 01-13-2010 | 08:51 PM

Wink

Originally Posted by acuraanswers
gee - thanks for making my night! the first one they paid for - since the problem is the design (heat build up that ends in chewed gear teeth- from what i read on the recall detail) will the dealer replace it?- i guess i shouldn't hold my breath on this one, huh? how much for your #2?

lol im sorry for being the bad news bringer, yeah since you where recalled you have a piece of mind, they should have extended your warranty for 3 years and i dont remember the mileage, since the day they put the new one in. when my 1st one break i was out of warranty since mine were gone at 149K the dealer only change it when is below 100K for free so they quote me 3500$ for everything i gave them a big middle finger and whent to a private tranny shop and did it for 1500

Since the Dealer only puts in another ("NEW") faulty tranny its going to crap itself again so i wasnt going to expend 3000+ each time it blows. so private shop installed a reinforced clutch pack and it was brand new, shift like it never did with the OE one. and the acceleration feels improved also installed an improved Torque Converter that gives me a little more Mpg.

So yeah pretty much Acura/Honda installs a NEW same tranny that will go out yet again so if you whant a long lasting tranny you should do a Rebuilt and ask the mecanic to sell you a more stronger clutch pack not the economic shit they put in (it could work fine, but then again our trannys are shit)

Last edited by Skirmich; 01-13-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2010 | 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you have the codes read? If so what were they? If it was something to do with the gas cap twist it a few times so that you hear the clicking it makes. Pull the clock backup fuse to reset the ECU and see if the light comes back on. If it does you may need a new gas cap.

As for your trans if you feel it slipping its on its way out.
Old 01-14-2010 | 10:57 AM
Team Owner

right- like fsttyms says- check the gas cap- especially its rubber oring seal is good
When installing you must hear 3 clicks-- a built in torque meter/limit-- that seals the cap properly - the system will detect if its loose or off and throw a light and can run really bad

Clock fuse is on passenger side of cabin by feet or end or dash (with door open to see it)
number 12 or 13 says CLOCK and is the secret backup power to the main computer ECU- force a reset and it will check everything and release the light or give new codes
Anytime you replace certain parts like a coil you must reset the ECU
You can have a bad coil too!--we need codes!!!

In the usa, except CA, parts stores will read codes for free- report those back to us for diagnosis- they are just clues

With your mileage it could be O2 sensor or cat convertor plugged- that would make it shake but so would bad motor mount which also can make it run bad if vac boosted year

go to parts store an ask for a code scan
go to muffler shop and ask for a system test
A plugged cat will smell like rotten eggs and lousy performance- bad mileage etc

on the trans- in 2004 a recall to inspect the trans internally with a special camera and see if any damage to certain parts- if so replace trans
If those were good then install an external oil jet kit to help cool those parts
That recall and the normal wearout of clutch pack failure are 2 different items
the special extended warranty went to 7years 9 months or 109kmiles or 114.5kmiles or odometer error VIN group
Acura often helps past there- its called GOODWILL and starts with a discussion with the service MANAGER not the Writer
they call acura corp rep and see if they can go 50/50 with you or something
The advantage of the acura rebuilt is since 2005 they get a new design case with better oiling,, which moved the recall installed part internally

There is no super clutch pack thats going to make it bulletproof, and other cars with same type trans have same issues we do

Slipping into 2nd and 3rd hard on the gas on accelleration are signs of clutch pack prob
3rd-4th is different problem and may be not trans related- with some luck

Dont get any work done without coming here first-
Old 01-15-2010 | 06:57 PM

Question

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
right- like fsttyms says- check the gas cap- especially its rubber oring seal is good
When installing you must hear 3 clicks-- a built in torque meter/limit-- that seals the cap properly - the system will detect if its loose or off and throw a light and can run really bad

Clock fuse is on passenger side of cabin by feet or end or dash (with door open to see it)
number 12 or 13 says CLOCK and is the secret backup power to the main computer ECU- force a reset and it will check everything and release the light or give new codes
Anytime you replace certain parts like a coil you must reset the ECU
You can have a bad coil too!--we need codes!!!

In the usa, except CA, parts stores will read codes for free- report those back to us for diagnosis- they are just clues

With your mileage it could be O2 sensor or cat convertor plugged- that would make it shake but so would bad motor mount which also can make it run bad if vac boosted year

go to parts store an ask for a code scan
go to muffler shop and ask for a system test
A plugged cat will smell like rotten eggs and lousy performance- bad mileage etc

on the trans- in 2004 a recall to inspect the trans internally with a special camera and see if any damage to certain parts- if so replace trans
If those were good then install an external oil jet kit to help cool those parts
That recall and the normal wearout of clutch pack failure are 2 different items
the special extended warranty went to 7years 9 months or 109kmiles or 114.5kmiles or odometer error VIN group
Acura often helps past there- its called GOODWILL and starts with a discussion with the service MANAGER not the Writer
they call acura corp rep and see if they can go 50/50 with you or something
1-The advantage of the acura rebuilt is since 2005 they get a new design case with better oiling,, which moved the recall installed part internally

2-There is no super clutch pack thats going to make it bulletproof, and other cars with same type trans have same issues we do

Slipping into 2nd and 3rd hard on the gas on accelleration are signs of clutch pack prob
3rd-4th is different problem and may be not trans related- with some luck

Dont get any work done without coming here first-

1-I actually never met anyone with this supposed "Upgraded" tranny perhaps its just the same tranny as 05+ TLs and not an upgraded B7WA from the 2nd Gen TL. who knows? Besides Acura doesnt Rebuild trannys they trown in a "New" tranny like they say

2-Perhaps not bulletproof but it will last longer that the crappy Honda Part, even more if its made from Kevlar lol

Last edited by Skirmich; 01-15-2010 at 07:01 PM.