accident

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2004, 05:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
accident

Hey guys. I don't post very much here, but I've been a member for quite some time. Well earlier tonite, I was involved in an accident. I had a left green arrow and was turning when this white Geo comes speeding across, running a red light. It happened so quickly that I didn't have enough time to react and swerve to avoid her. Two of my friends were in the car with me, but thankfully none of use were hurt. Anyways, I wanted to know what I should do. I believe I overheard the police officer say that the lady in the Geo didn't have insurance . The entire front end of my car is essentially totaled, except for my right headlight. None of the windows or the windshield were cracked. However, I'm sure my tranny's messed up since I couldn't shift the car into neurtal?

My friend in the passenger seat said she was sure it was a green arrow too, since she said that when she got out of the car, the light was still a green arrow. To what extent will this go to? I mean, will this get to the point where I'll have to go to court and whatnot? My dad called my uncle as he was headed to the accident scene; I'll probably talk to him quite a bit tomorrow. Well, any advice would be greatly appreciated, especially since this is my first accident. Thanks in advance.

Oh, I guess I can post pics once I upload them.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:12 AM
Intermediate

pictures

Old 06-28-2004, 06:37 AM
Advanced

First off, good to hear that noone was hurt.. thats the most important thing.

Regarding the accident, if it was the other drivers fault they are liable for all damages to you car. If the person dosen't have insurance and is a "dead-beat" so-to-speak, they will have two problems coming to them. Legal reprucussions (spelling) from driving without insurance as well as going to court regarding your issue.

Some way or another she will have to pay for all of your damages, one way or another. Just sucks that people like us have to pay the consequeses for idiot like the person that hit you without insurance.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sorry to hear about your car, but it's good that everyone was able to walk away.

As mentioned above, the other driver is totally at fault. However, make sure, that the police report states that you had a green arrow when you entered the intersection and that you were struck by a car that ran a red light. If they leave that out, she could argue otherwise.

Also, I'm not sure about TX, but there is something called "Uninsured Motorist" that allows people to drive, legally, without insurance (or a portion thereof). It's only legal in some states though (here is VA, it's legal). It doesn't mean she gets a pass from having to pay for your car though, it just means it's legal for her to not have insurance. As mentioned above, if she was just "not insured" period, then she's going to get nailed for it.

I would, if you haven't already, call my insurance company and tell them everything you've said here and see what they say. Chances are, they'll take care of getting money out of the other driver through whatever means necessary (whether that be through the lady paying out of pocket, or having to go to court) and getting your car fixed. Again, see what they say. You pay them a lot of money in premiums, and it’s situations like this that you pay them for – time to put them to work for you.
Old 06-28-2004, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Sorry to hear about that bluexflamez. Thank goodness everyone is alright though. Hopefully that clown that hit you had insurance, but in case she doesn't check if you have uninsured motorist insurance on your policy. It should pay to fix the damages on ur car if the person that hits you does not have insurance and is unable to pay out of pocket for the damages. Best of luck
Old 06-28-2004, 11:24 AM
Intermediate

Thanks guy. I'll be talking to the insurance company later on today when they call, and I'll check with my dad later to see if we have an uninsured motorist insurance on our plan. Everything still seems surreal though. Anyways, if this works, here are some pics I took of the car on the tow truck.

Surprisingly, one of the few things left unscathed on the front end was the right headlight. Everything past the front end is perfectly fine, rims and all. Thankfully I take left turns slow, or else I'm sure it could've been a lot worse.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:29 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

sorry about that man.. it's good to hear no one was injuried tho..

those pics are painful :'( i'd cry seeing my car like that.

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-28-2004, 12:44 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I sorry to hear about what happened and I am glad everyone is okay...

Being from Texas and also going through the same thing you are.... I got into an accident and it was the other guys fault. The other guy sideswipped me and the bastard was an 'illegal' (I don't need to tell you Texas and Cali folks what that is, but we got a shitload of these 'illegals' here)

Well, the dumb fuck doesn't speak english and he wanted to buy his way out of the ticket. No dice... I called the police and told them what happened. I have Uninsured motorists coverage (so it is valid in Texas) I filed the claim through this and I paid my deductible and got my car fixed. Well, about that asshole, the police report stated that he was at fault and that he did not have insurance.

My insurance company tracked the little fuck down (he worked in some chinese food restuarant as a dishwasher) and they are taking him to court. They are trying to recoup the money and my deductible from him. To tell you how fucked up the system is....I at first actually felt sorry for this little fuck because his job is washing dishes, but guess how he got to work??? Yeah, the fuckin impound gave him his car back and he is driving that shit to work....

I am just glad that the little bastard did not get deported or I would have kissed my deductible goodbye... Fuckin' illegals... if your going to try to buy your way out of the accident, you should have taken that money and bought some insurance, fuckin bastard got a license and their are places in Texas that have places where you can buy insurance no questions asked.......

They need to crack down on this shit.... give me my money back and get the fuck out!!!
Old 06-28-2004, 01:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow, that's worse than I thought.... Did the airbags deploy?
Old 06-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Banned

Ashahahahahahaha
A
Indomfp

Best Comedian Ever

Hahahahahahahah
Old 06-28-2004, 05:49 PM
@ slide or die @

sry man...the second most important questions are...is the TL toataled or repairable? (get new car or spend 3months withought one) Who's paying?

good luck.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Intermediate

Okay, I just got off the phone with the insurance company and filed my claim. It's gonnna be a $500 deductable. I don't have rental car coverage, so getting a temporary replacement car is gonna come out of my pocket. However, I do have uninsured motorist on the policy, but we need to get further details on the police report, since we're not sure if the other lady had insurance or not. The car is at the David McDavid Acura Dealership in Plano, and they should be doing an assessment of the car soon. Hopefully the lady's story checks out and she doesn't bullshat with her story.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluexflamez
Okay, I just got off the phone with the insurance company and filed my claim. It's gonnna be a $500 deductable. I don't have rental car coverage, so getting a temporary replacement car is gonna come out of my pocket. However, I do have uninsured motorist on the policy, but we need to get further details on the police report, since we're not sure if the other lady had insurance or not. The car is at the David McDavid Acura Dealership in Plano, and they should be doing an assessment of the car soon. Hopefully the lady's story checks out and she doesn't bullshat with her story.
The lady should pay for your deductible (if you have to use the uninsured motorist on ur policy)
Old 06-29-2004, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluexflamez
Get rental car coverage on your policy. It costs VERY little, and can pay VERY big. I have $50 a day coverage on my policy and if I remember right it's $7 per 6 months cost.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:39 AM
Intermediate

Isn't it too late to get rental car coverage? My dad should be talking to the insurance company again soon. After that, I'll know a lot more. Thanks for the replies though, they've been helpful
Old 06-29-2004, 11:18 AM
@ slide or die @

the rental car shoulnt be too much...you can rent a car on a monthly contract and pay less than $14 a day (w/ insurance and all you'll need) for a civic, impala or some crap like this AND you can beat the living hell out of it.

If you do this, when you get your TL back, you'll feel like its the best thing on the planet.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
Originally Posted by etxxz
the rental car shoulnt be too much...you can rent a car on a monthly contract and pay less than $14 a day (w/ insurance and all you'll need) for a civic, impala or some crap like this AND you can beat the living hell out of it.

If you do this, when you get your TL back, you'll feel like its the best thing on the planet.

I had accident similar to this one, $8500 in damages, frontal collision. the body shop did a good job, but I had to drive renatal car for 23 days.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Advanced

You ever think the repair shop and rental companies are in the cahoots?

First time I got into an accident, I had to pay for my rental out of pocket. After 3 weeks I called to check up and they said its not ready yet. Apparently (IMO) they were taking their time. During the fourth week, I talked to the worker and they said it would be ready by the end of the week. I showed up on a Friday and the shop manager tried to convince me it wasn't ready yet. What he didn't know was the repair called me earlier in the day telling me it was ready to be picked up.

This always made me wonder whether they worked together or not. Since then, I've always carried the rental in my policy. Small price to pay.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:21 PM
Intermediate

Another update. I talked to my dad when he got home. The police report wasn't ready yet, but we did get a rough estimate of how much repairs are gonna cost. It's gonna be a minimum of $8500 just for the body work; figuring that the tranny's probably messed up, it could go well beyond that price. I didn't get a chance to check the engine condition after the accident.

And just wondering, what constitutes a car as being totaled; is it when a certain percentage of the car's value is exceeded or the damage relative to the rest of the car? Also, how much can I expect a new tranny and/or engine and whatever else I'll probably need to get fixed to run for? Thanks again.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:50 PM
What your problem is?

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
A car is technically totaled when the cost of repairs exceed the fair market value of the car.

What kind of insurance do you have that does not have rental car included??? You need to look into that. If the dealer is getting you the rental then of course they are in cahoots. They are going to gouge you.... I would get a cheap rental from outside the dealer and then tell your insurance that when they take the old bitch to court to recoup your deductible and also the cost of the rental.... It is going to be a long ass time till you see a penny...... Man, I hope everything works out....
Old 06-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

Police report still isn't ready, but it looks like the TL is might be gone. My dad's kinda iffy on whether or not he wants the car to be totalled [insurance company hasn't assessed the damage yet], but he's worried about how the car will perform if we do get it fixed, especially with tranny problems. We still owe about 15k on the car, and we're guessing we'll get around 15-16k from the insurance [either way we get screwed]. It's a big debate on the car issue, but I wanted to know what cars you'd recommend to replace the TL.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:38 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

geez those are sum horrible pics, good thing your ok
Old 07-01-2004, 05:17 PM
Instructor

Just to correct a previous post, a car is not totaled when its repair cost exceeds its fair market value. Insurance companies have a percentage that they work off of, and it varies between companies and locations. I know here in MD through State Farm it is 65%. Meaning if my car is worth 10,000 and repairs are gonna be $6500 they will just total the car.

Hope everything works out man, its probably a waste of time since the guy is illegal. . .but it would be real convenient if your neck starting hurting real badly
Old 07-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Racer

I just went through the whole accident process...the accident that totalled my 00 Civic EX and bought me this 00 TL...so i came out well Basically the term "totalled" has always meant that the repairs exceed fair market value of the vehicle; however, as one previous poster said, the insurance company can elect to total it out even it that is not the case. With my car, it was 4 yrs old exc. condition, 63k miles...avg dealer retail on it was about $12k. The car was badly damaged in the front but the adjuster, from what I heard, saw it and right off the bat totalled it because the damage was "into the engine" and they didn't even want to mess with it. Same type accident happened with me sort-of.....I was going straight through a green and some 17 yr old girl in this old piece of shit didn't yield to left turn. She pulled out in front of me and I plowed her....wasn't hurt...Civic held up well for such tiny car with thin metal. She had GEICO...I got a rental for 2 weeks until they settled...they paid me dealer retail for the car plus tax and title cost for a replacement. Needless to say I didn't bitch and moan--took another $5k and put it toward my 00 TL that I have now. Another thing, DO buy the rental coverage. We used to not have it and my Civic got stolen (before this accident...damn that car had a curse). I was without a car for a month because it was recovered w/ very minor damage and took forever to get it fixed. I don't know what state you live in but if you carry uninsured motorist you file it on yours and it covers your damages for those deadbeats...the bad thing is filing a claim on your policy vs. them filing on theirs can cause a hike in premiums (I took an insurance course in college....part of my electives as a Finance major). Anyhow, see if you can get the deadbeat to pay your deductible and take her to court. If I were you I'd beg and plead for them to total the car out--get you another one. I'm picky...if a car has been wrecked, I wouldn't want it. Plus the car will never be just as it was before. We also have a friend in insurance and he has said the same thing....get them to total it out...even when my civic was repaired from being stolen...it wasn't the same. Anyway, sorry for the long post, but just going through this recently, I know how you feel. I was lucky and her insurance co. paid me off without questions and paid me off well. I got a badass car for my troubles as a result.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:19 AM
Intermediate

I went to the dealership yesterday to take a look at the TL-S. The pictures above make it look a lot worse than it really was. I checked with the guy at the collision center and he said the transmission and engine weren't damaged at all. I got clearance and went around back and looked; looks like the left side, front bumper, and radiator took the brunt of the damage, and most of the damage was done to the body.

I'd rather not have the car totalled though. We'd be losing far too much on our investment in the car. The good thing is is that I'll be getting a 5th gen Prelude as a replacement car, which I don't think is too shabby at all. Still waiting on the police report though; called them Friday, but they said it normally takes 7-10 business days. We'll find out if that lady has insurance or not and what her side of the story is and from there, the insurance company will go assess the damage.

Thanks for all the replies.
Here are some pics I took today of the car.

Old 07-04-2004, 01:27 AM
Instructor

Glad you're ok bro.. sorry about the car.. and in in the last pic.. look in the background.. there's a 1st generation CL with front end damage.. Sad day for Acura owners!
Old 07-04-2004, 06:18 AM
Instructor

Hey Blue , that's one sad and sorry look'in TL , should be in your driveway gett'in a wash and
some TLC instead of in some car dealer sick bay lot . Bright -side , any accident where no-body
was hurt is just an inconvenience , you'll get that baby back look'in as good as new. Cheers
Old 07-04-2004, 08:11 AM
Team Inspire Canada

Sorry to hear about your accident bro.
Old 07-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Dayum!

I think your car might be write-off ... damage looks deep ... might have got to the frame. Think I'd get a new car for peace of mind.

- derrick