About to give up on intake manifold cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to give up on intake manifold cleaning

i'm about to give up on this upper intake manifold cleaning...

I have unhooked every hose and wire, and I have unscrewed every nut and bolt. Yet I cannot remove it from the TB or from the large black hose attached to the TB.

All the other threads just say to unhook everything, remove the bolts and pull up. But I can't get the plastic tube off of the TB. I have also removed those 4 bolts around that area, but the top two are just 'nuts' and the screw/bolt is still in there.

Am I supposed to just pull up on the manifold and hope it comes out of the black plastic hose/tube (and yes...i did loosen the metal fastner)?

if any of you who have done this can help me out, i'd appreciate it, otherwise I am going to put all together and wish I had spent my day doing something else.

thanks for reading
Old 07-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
just pull harder (on the hoses) some of them are a pain to get off...but really there is nothing you can do but get them off (no tricks)
Old 07-02-2005, 02:37 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Like ou sig said, some hoses are hard to get off. You just have to twist and pull.
Old 07-02-2005, 03:26 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the replies

As I look at different pictures and at my car, there seems to be two places to remove the mainfold from the rest of the car; before the TB or after.

When trying to remove the manifold with the TB, I would have to remove it from a large hose...but this is the big one, and there is no room to pull like the other smaller one. This hose, right next to the TB has a diameter like 5 inches. The intake manifold pulls straight up, but you can't pull it up with that huge hose attatched to it.

When trying to remove the manifold with out the TB, as I saw on some people's pictures then I would have to remove four bolts. The top two 'nuts' came off easily, as did the bottom two bolts. However the top two bolts are still in there spots (but with out the nuts). I don't know how to remove these screws/bolts.

am I even making any sense anymore?
Old 07-02-2005, 03:47 PM
I=X - optomos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pics would help, but I think i know what your talking about.

1. Lossen clamps from TB & from the center of the large tube.(yellow highlight)
2. If standing on drivers side fender pull the large tube towards you & up. It will be tight but it will come off. You can also pull it away from the air box then completely remove it from the TB. Just remmember that it will be tight & dont worry about breaking anything that tube is strong.

Old 07-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

thanks for the reply... yea you are exactly right...

but for SOME reason...my car (02 type S) has another metal something that is attached to the car which prevents me from pulling on it!!! I wish my car looked like your picture. =) cuz then i'd have no problems. but yea...i'm glad you were able to understand me without any pictures.

wow...you acurazine guys are awesome...
Old 07-02-2005, 04:08 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

Originally Posted by optomos
Pics would help, but I think i know what your talking about.

1. Lossen clamps from TB & from the center of the large tube.(yellow highlight)
2. If standing on drivers side fender pull the large tube towards you & up. It will be tight but it will come off. You can also pull it away from the air box then completely remove it from the TB. Just remmember that it will be tight & dont worry about breaking anything that tube is strong.

what are those two cables running behind your illustration??? and how would you remove those?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:41 PM
I=X - optomos

They are throotle cables. One is the main cable, the other is the cruise control cable. Loosen one of the nuts that holde them to the metal bracket then pull back the throotle body lever to releash tension & push the cable to the right untill it comes out. The ends of the cable have a cylinder type tip on them that holds the cable in place.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:55 PM
Intermediate

ok...as I mentioned above...I did have to remove that final screw (i had to remove the battery to get to it...)

so yea...once that metal piece was loose, then I could pull back and easily remove the tubing/hose. ***but if that didn't work, I was going to just put everything back together and call it quits***

thanks for all the help...i'm kinda too tired to clean it now

if any of you are looking to do this, ask nathanli for his guide, it is pretty helpful and I wish I had it before I started yesterday...

here's hoping everything will run good when i put all back together
Old 07-02-2005, 07:33 PM
Intermediate

everything's all clean and put back together, but one last thing...did you put anything special on the gasket or did you just clean it w/carb cleaner and put it back on.

my uncle was saying to spray it w/something to help make sure it will seal well.

again...thanks for all the help and I look foward to driving it~

Old 07-02-2005, 07:34 PM
I=X - optomos

Its a metal gasket so it doesnt matter. You could clean with a damp cloth just dont bend it.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Intermediate

so i put everything back together...started the car..."maint rec'rd" light is on

but after 30 sec or so it turns off.

I drive out of the garage and park my car. I figure to restart the car again to see if the light comes on again. So I shut off my car.

Now my car does not start. The cabin lights come on. The horn works. The dashboard lights come on when I put my keys in. Headlights do not work. Car does not start?!?!?!

It can't be the battery b/c certain lights work. Maybe a connection got loose, I'll check tomorrow morning. It's too dark outside now.

It's pretty weird b/c the car ran fine around the block and now it does not even start.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:48 PM
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
you probably didnt connect something back in the right place or you have a few loose wires.. you better check that when the sun's up.