99' Tranny died at 100,695 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' Tranny died at 100,695 miles.

oh boy..last night my TL started to jerk really bad..it would go up to 2 rpm and then a sudden jerk to go to the next gear. I drove it slowly to the dealer this morning..and guess what..tranny smoked..they didn't give me a hard time for the over mileage because i took the car in around 80k and complained but they didn't find and "code" saying it was messed up. They are giving me a rental for the weekend..not loaner..wish i could get a loaner though...great service..finally from Acura of Manhattan..car is going to get some service too..hopefully my baby comes out the shop nice and sweet on Tuesday..
Old 06-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
wow...Im glad they helped you out for sure. What did you notice at 80k? I have about 90k on my original one...wondering how it will last.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Instructor

I noticed around 80k, after putting the car in drive, it takes about 2 second to actually move and you get a soft jerk with the engine while going into gear..as the miles kept adding on..the jerk got stronger. If you notice your tranny drives good on 1 day and bad on the other.its a sign of failure to come. My tranny would just drive so sluggish on hot days..also..when you drive the car..and it approaches 2000k RPM..it will stall there a little and then give a big jerk to go over to the other gear..this happens more when it has already failed..hope this helps..my advice to is ..take it to the dealer.and complain that the car does jerk..this way..even if your car passed 100,000 miles for the warranty..you have a case with them that the issue was there before the warranty went out..good luck...great cars but this tranny has put people in misery..i've driven toyotas that trannys are so much smoother than mines and they are at 200k..hard to believe..but i hope the fix it..cuz i love my TL..
Old 06-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vijay TL
oh boy..last night my TL started to jerk really bad..it would go up to 2 rpm and then a sudden jerk to go to the next gear. I drove it slowly to the dealer this morning..and guess what..tranny smoked..they didn't give me a hard time for the over mileage because i took the car in around 80k and complained but they didn't find and "code" saying it was messed up. They are giving me a rental for the weekend..not loaner..wish i could get a loaner though...great service..finally from Acura of Manhattan..car is going to get some service too..hopefully my baby comes out the shop nice and sweet on Tuesday..

TELL THEM NOT TO WASH YOUR CAR. A month ago, i took it in for a tranny replacement. They wash my car, I found all sorts of scratches on my roof.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:41 AM
Pro

Also make sure you dont get no shitty Neon, There is a really shitty neon there, hard to press the gas pedal. If they give it to you, take it off the lot, drive it around the block or 2 and drive back and complain. They give you another car. I got a free upgrade to a chevy silverado.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:47 AM
Instructor

am going to pick up the "rental" at 5 pm today..hopefully it's a good one..if they need more than 4 days to fix my car...they said it's going to be a loaner..which is what I prefer...
Old 06-17-2005, 10:50 AM
Boomer SOONER

ya mine does the same in the mornings when I shift from reverse to drive (its jerky sometimes) maybe I will go in sometime and get them to check it out. But it really doesnt do that when it is warm, so when I take it in, it probably wont even do it.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by ou sig
ya mine does the same in the mornings when I shift from reverse to drive (its jerky sometimes) maybe I will go in sometime and get them to check it out. But it really doesnt do that when it is warm, so when I take it in, it probably wont even do it.
That's completely normal. All TLs do that when cold.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:06 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
ya that is what I thought...pretty annoying though, my future mother-in-law even commented on it (I wish the TL was more smooth)
Old 06-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ou sig
When you're parked in an incline, sometimes it's hard to put the car in reverse. What I do is when I park I press hard on the parking brake. If the car doesn't roll back, it means that the break was engaged properly. If it does then expect to have some hard shift when you put your car in reverse. I got this trick from my 03 Ody. Both Ody and the 99TL has a foot pedal parking break.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If I had a dollar every time my dealer told me that!

All 02 CD players have stuck CDs, is that normal?

All 04 have butt prints, is that normal?

All 04 leather show significant signs of wear within 6 months, is that normal?

All 04 have the front end vibration issue, is that normal?

Just because they all do it doesn't mean it's normal or the correct mode of operation. I suppose you will tell me when my transmission jerks into 2nd gear and my rpm's shoot up to 5K is "normal because they all do it"? By saying it's normal doesn't help the person with their problem. It only indicates that either you are severely ignorant or have been brain washed by Honda. Without driving the car nor experiencing the problem first hand, I highly doubt you can accurately diagnose Ou Sig's problem. Telling him to ignore the problem is just that, plain ignorance.

John
Old 06-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by riontegra
If I had a dollar every time my dealer told me that!

All 02 CD players have stuck CDs, is that normal?

All 04 have butt prints, is that normal?

All 04 leather show significant signs of wear within 6 months, is that normal?

All 04 have the front end vibration issue, is that normal?

Just because they all do it doesn't mean it's normal or the correct mode of operation. I suppose you will tell me when my transmission jerks into 2nd gear and my rpm's shoot up to 5K is "normal because they all do it"? By saying it's normal doesn't help the person with their problem. It only indicates that either you are severely ignorant or have been brain washed by Honda. Without driving the car nor experiencing the problem first hand, I highly doubt you can accurately diagnose Ou Sig's problem. Telling him to ignore the problem is just that, plain ignorance.

John
You're missing the point. NSXNEXT didn't just say it's NORMAL. He said it is NORMAL when "COLD." I guess NSXNEXT needs to define it better for you to understand. Maybe explain to you better about the Torque Converter and other tech stuff that I myself can't explain. If the engine is hot/warm and it jerks then to me it's ABNORMAL....plain and simple ABNORMAL.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:05 PM
Banned

hey when u guys say "80k" and "90k", u guys mean KILOMETERS? or MILES?

well im in canada, and a friend of mine got his dad to auction a tl for me from new jersey, right now, its at 80 000 miles, not kilos, so i was wondering am i still under the manufacters warranty even tho i got a american car, in canada? 80k miles is round 125k in canada, plz someone help me, tranny isnt fucked up yet, lets hope it doesnt at all, but for safety reasons i wanan know if im still good...
Old 06-17-2005, 01:25 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelee223
TELL THEM NOT TO WASH YOUR CAR. A month ago, i took it in for a tranny replacement. They wash my car, I found all sorts of scratches on my roof.
I AGREE!! NOONE (except me) washes my car anymore. This hand car wash place messed up my Mustang GT so bad!! and it was a black car! I am STILL pissed about it, eventhough this happened nearly 3 years ago and the Stang is long gone!

When I took my TL in for its first service, I told them not to wash my car, and I will make it a point to let them know this everytime I go. I am thinking of placing a sign inside the car saying DO NOT WASH.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by PenancE
hey when u guys say "80k" and "90k", u guys mean KILOMETERS? or MILES?

well im in canada, and a friend of mine got his dad to auction a tl for me from new jersey, right now, its at 80 000 miles, not kilos, so i was wondering am i still under the manufacters warranty even tho i got a american car, in canada? 80k miles is round 125k in canada, plz someone help me, tranny isnt fucked up yet, lets hope it doesnt at all, but for safety reasons i wanan know if im still good...
we are talking about miles...the warranty is for 7 years or 100,000 miles
Old 06-17-2005, 04:28 PM
I pimp an Audi A4.

damn i got my 99's tranny replaced at 74k (early stages of showing wear) now im at 85k =(
(now i feel it comming back) i really dont wanna sell my car at 100k i've invested to much money into this pos!
ahhh fucking trannys!!!
Old 06-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Racer

what initially is wrong with the tranny? I have this problem, even worst now. My car is sitting in my garage until i get the cash to get it fixed. No waranty on mine, but i want to know the exact cause of failure and is there a way to prevent this from happening again?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:49 PM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by thAviEtbOi 37
what initially is wrong with the tranny? I have this problem, even worst now. My car is sitting in my garage until i get the cash to get it fixed. No waranty on mine, but i want to know the exact cause of failure and is there a way to prevent this from happening again?
why no warranty? how many miles do you have and what model? because every 2nd gen TL and CL have an extended 7 year 100k mile warranty on the tranny - no matter what. (there are a few '03 models that it may not apply to)
Old 06-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Whats wrong is that Acura sucks sh|t. Now that I've gotten that out of the way (and vented because I am on my 3rd tranny) the problem is a 3rd gear clutch assembly that simply falls apart and when it does, the shards fly all over the inside of the tranny, clogging every fluid orifice. Acura has no fix for this (probably because they'd have to start with a whole new design which they are not about to do with a discontinued model) so they just keep replacing the trannys until you get past 100k miles and are in no-man's land. I will be there soon and when it goes for the 4th time, I will be hoping on a plane from the Northeast out to California to speak personally with their law firm. I am an attorney myself an will not put up with this crap. I've already got the name of their firm. They have in-house counsel too I am sure, but for some reason they have an outside firm handling tranny issues (probably due to the enormous caseload.)

Originally Posted by thAviEtbOi 37
Old 06-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Racer

well my car has a salvage title. Got it for a good deal, but now tranny is killing me
Old 06-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
Whats wrong is that Acura sucks sh|t. Now that I've gotten that out of the way (and vented because I am on my 3rd tranny) the problem is a 3rd gear clutch assembly that simply falls apart and when it does, the shards fly all over the inside of the tranny, clogging every fluid orifice. Acura has no fix for this (probably because they'd have to start with a whole new design which they are not about to do with a discontinued model) so they just keep replacing the trannys until you get past 100k miles and are in no-man's land. I will be there soon and when it goes for the 4th time, I will be hoping on a plane from the Northeast out to California to speak personally with their law firm. I am an attorney myself an will not put up with this crap. I've already got the name of their firm. They have in-house counsel too I am sure, but for some reason they have an outside firm handling tranny issues (probably due to the enormous caseload.)
DUDE!!!! If you can sue them, see if they can increase it to 150k or 200k warranty. I'm pretty sure we'll all petition for that.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2002AcuraTL
I am an attorney myself an will not put up with this crap.
Just because you are a fvcking lawyer you have all the right in the world and everyone should bow down to you?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:04 AM
"Here Come The Bulls!"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PandaBear
Just because you are a fvcking lawyer you have all the right in the world and everyone should bow down to you?
Dude , lay off; This guy could be the one. The one who saves us all & eases our pain & sufferring. Many tranny is alive for the moment. But this issue is scarring the fuck out of me. I want a permenant fix or a lifetime "warranty with loaner"
agreement.

I only hope he's thinking class action here.

I personally would like to opt for violence upon specified CEOs. But that would satisfy me only temporarily. That said legal action may be more fruitful.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Racer

Since my TL (99) is parked on a hill (small incline).
If I put the tranny is "R" from Park, it takes like 2 seconds and gives a hard kick.

What I do now is just put in "N" and let it roll down the hill and then put it in "D" one I come to a complete stop. I do not feel its a tranny going out, its just that since It is parked on a incline and then not using the emergency brake while putting it in "P" it just puts some pressue on the tranny. No harm intended.

-But as for Acura and your 99 TL getting taking care off, thats awsome. I have about 120,000 on my original tranny and shifts smoot.
How long? I hope a very long time!
Old 06-22-2005, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PandaBear

lol, take it easy newbie. Did you even bother reading the thread?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Shift_it

-But as for Acura and your 99 TL getting taking care off, thats awsome. I have about 120,000 on my original tranny and shifts smoot.How long? I hope a very long time!
that is good to hear - mine is at 90k miles now, hopefully it will go for alot longer
Old 06-23-2005, 06:02 AM
Pro

shit if the tranny warranty is extended i will throw a party

im at 96k and im going to have to sell the car....what are the chances of getting acura to fix the issue after 100K....has anyone taken this to court?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:43 AM
Boomer SOONER

Originally Posted by Liftedoff420
shit if the tranny warranty is extended i will throw a party

im at 96k and im going to have to sell the car....what are the chances of getting acura to fix the issue after 100K....has anyone taken this to court?
why are you going to sell the car? what year do you have? not like its a guarantee that the tranny will die - and other cars have problems also
Old 06-24-2005, 08:17 AM
Life changes by the day

I have 125km on my 99' and the tranny works excellent. Do the problems exsit in both US & CAN models? I''m guessing they do but you never know
Old 06-24-2005, 10:35 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
theres gotta be another way around this tranny thing, yeah 2002AcuraTL
may be our savior, but this is a tranny here, I could see if someone died because of the transmission design of the TL, and caused a massive recall, i think its normal for a tranny to give you 100,000 miles, i mean how much is that in real drive time, 15k per year 5 - 6 years?

Im not saying that I do not want 150k - 200k warranty, im just saying it seems to be more of a long shot, What I want to know is a bootleg solution

say all of us is around 90k, and our tranny is still running strong, I would be worried, what can we do to make the tranny bust, no tranny fluid?
shift all nasty like when racing?

loosen some shit and drive it? because the tranny is covered in our extended warranty but does it say for what reason like basically if it looks like it was tampered with,

does it mean not covered?