99 tl, do I bleed brakes before or after brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I totally underestimated how well people are on top of these forums and didn't expect a response for a few days. (mental note:this place is awesome)

Thanks 01tl4tl, I feel the same way about the bleeding now, so simple so inexpensive and definitely so beneficial even just as a diagnostic procedure. Too easy not to do once a year, evens out to the effort of an oil change once understood.

I really figured it was normal but , was here to give an update and thought of that . My pedal does feel the same now on double pumps but I will do another check to make sure they feel exactly the same. ABS makes sense I suppose when going over bumps and at lower speeds, yes that is when it happens. I'm not sure if the TL has LSD (tranny) but when I had my Imported 99 Integra Type R in my Civic(EK), that had LSD and I recall now how that could translate to that symptom one way or another.

So I will at about 45mph do a pretty firm press of the brake pedal two separate consecutive times. If it feels more firm or somehow different the second time then I am to replace fluid.

Like I said they feel great and have already had to put them to the test and they stop pretty convincingly and far more instantly than I can remember feeling. Light pressure they feel normal but if I need instant stopping and put heavy instant or fast pressure it really takes it seriously and very quickly comes to a concise stop.

I cannot Thank You enough and wish you the best of luck 01TL4tl as I always do. You are a Godsend.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
let me be certain you understand:
IF you had brake lines open to replace a caliper or line= not just pad change

the ABS test for air is: 2 ABS active stops- pedal thumping under your foot- you will know when it finally happens!- may require finding water on the street and swerve the wheel quickly to simulate a lane change and back into your own lane-

While standing full effort `on the brake pedal,,,as if to save your life`
imagine semi trucks jackknife on icy freeway and you have to dodge it,, and other cars who are going straight ahead into the crash,, while you swerve around and drive thru

once stopped, accellerate normally to 45 and repeat test
IF the 2nd test had firmer pedal- there was air in the controller-
not the regular lines that will give up air--
air trapped in a seperate location, only accessed by active pumping by the abs modulator pump,,not your foot!!
then you rebleed system and all is well

for a quick test if you got all the air on a general flush/bleed, while stopped--do a QUICK double pump the pedal--does it get firmer?
recheck your work

In normal life you will get weaker pedal as hygroscopic action does its badness.
`water` compresses but brake fluid does not- it just noves back and forth,
so the rust particulate and moisture goes to the caliper and stays there.

In order to compensate for weakened fluid viscosity from the moisture-
double pump brings pedal back to normal feel? - way past time to flush the fluid!!

there is no need for a double pump at 45mph unless you like to!- its not a diagnostic for this job

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 07-21-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
new pads and rotors take some use-heat cycles- to get all the mini hills and valleys on their surfaces to wear into each other- giving more surface contact and full braking abilty