7 1/2 hours to make a decision

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:14 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1osunut
Baltimore may have taken the Browns away from us and we will never fogive Modell - but this is a step in the right direction. This is just waht this site needed. How about a Thread in the photo gallery for girls and their TL's

I think that would not only be awesome but Im guessing the most looked at thread ever posted.
Good idea. I know one girl with a 99 TL and another with a 2.3 CL. They would contribute pics.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cl8trr
wow-nice rack if you dont mind me saying!! if your ever out in california dont hesitate to hit me up, youll get a personally guided tour with complimentary dinner
Rack? So you like my hair color do you?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sherlock_Holmes
O.K.,

I'll give you guys an update and then answer all the individual posts.

First, thanks for all the PMs.

Secondly, I went to the dealership that is selling the car out in Laurel, MD. The guy let me test drive the car overnight to see how I liked it. Everything was going fine until after I left Red Lobster. Nothing "bad" happened, but the "ABS" and "TCS" button came on and wouldn't turn off (I drove about 2 miles with these indicator lights on). I pushed the "TCS" button a bunch of times, but the light wouldn't turn off.

When I stopped at Starbucks, turned off the car, got my frap, got back in the car, and started it again, the lights turned off like normal.

Also, the maintenance required light blinked for a good 5 seconds after start up and then went off. This is probably not abnormal though.

When I drove to work this morning, everything was fine. I will talk to the dealer about these issues before committing. If nothing else, I would like to get the price down a tad (17,900.00).
I would not get any car that is showing lights in a test drive. If they are serious about selling you the car then have them throughly check that tranny first. In my opinion, I'd find a different TL
Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AcuraBuddy
Amazing what happens when a woman asks a question and also adds a pic of her sexy self lol. LET THE QUESTIONS ANSWERS FLOW LIKE WATER. To be honest I wouldnt trade in two cars and especially that IS300 for one car unless its a BMW 330CI or like a Benzy CLK430.
The IS300 was not necessary considering I recently purchased the FD.

Beemers and Benzos are to prissy for me. I want raw power and acceleration.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
hmm... some guys really need to get off the internet and get real lives...

But anyhow.

I have an 03 that is covered until 100k, or after this Xmas, up to 109k. I don't know the tranny failure statistics of the late model 2nd gens (the later 03 models). But from what I've read on these forums, it seems like the late 03's also have the same problem.

All I can suggest is: get an extended warranty if possible, or if your tranny breaks, raise hell until the dealership gives you one for free. I know a few of the 02 owners were able to get new trannys past the 100k mark without having to pay a huge fee.

Some things that I've read but not sure if they help or not:

1. Try getting the oil jet kit done. (I had it done on my 03 TL-S, and mine still broke..so eh)

2. Use sports shift (tip tronic) whenever you drive and try to not use 3rd gear so much. The problem is a faulty design of the transmission: our trannies overheat causing the 3rd gear clutchpack to get hot and literally fall apart. (Again, I don't know if using Sports shift will really help, but eh... use sportshift and shift out of 3rd gear before hitting 4k rpms)

3. Drive like a grandma. Yeah it's a shame. I hate the idea of driving my TL-S like an old lady. Having 260hp + mods in a car and driving it like a grandma is like having a sexy naked woman infront of you and having erectile disfunction. But honestly, I think this might be the best idea. Drive conservatively and don't over work the tranny.

Either way, I know many members may disagree as to the preventative methods above. My friend who owns an 03 CL-S has commented that many CL-S automatic tranny failures are due to the way people drive. Could be true. If anything, I think people who always rev their TL-S/CL-S hard, aggravate their trannies more, but think of it this way: If you're given something with a faulty design, certain things might aggravate it and may cause it to break; but at the same time it might just break from simple use. It's up to you to decide how you want to approach the problem.

On a side note: What version engine did you buy for the RX-7? FC or FD Chasis? I actually helped my cousin rebuild his FD with a 13B-REW (280 horsepower JP version) engine.

Anyhow. Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy the TL.
Thanks for your recommendations.

I have a series 6 FD. 1994 to be exact.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:10 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi Amanda, and welcome to the board. here's what i can tell you regarding the transmissions:

not all the 2nd generation TLs are affected. your car may be outside of the VIN range that was included in the voluntary warranty extension. call your dealer and check first, because if it's included then your transmission is warrantied until 7 years or 100,000 miles. (so for you it would be some time in 2009 presumably or another 65,000 miles).

don't bother with purchasing the extended warranty from the dealer, as it will not get you anything extra with the transmission issues.

alot of people have experienced failures, although not all of them. i know it seems otherwise when you read the posts. there is nothing you can do to prevent the failure, it's due to inadequate engineering and bad materials. it is not linked to how you drive or how hard you beat on the car.

personally i think the TL is a good choice. my transmission failed and i had a new one in within a day. it was a slight inconvenience but they gave me a rental car and by the end of the next day i was on my way again.

99% of the failures are not catastrophic. there have been some horror stories, but if you are attentive to your car (like any driver should be) then you will likely notice something is wrong way before the tranny fails. at that time if you bring it to the dealer then they will certainly check it out since they know this is an issue. for instance, mine began making a whining noise but was still perfectly driveable through the time it took for the dealer to order a new tranny for me.

there are other options. you can get a rebuilt tranny from dr. evil (which has not yet been absolutely proven to work but seems promising thus far) or you can do a manual swap, which take some time and money but can be done.

either way i would say that if you like the TL just keep it and enjoy it. the transmission will be the least of your worries. the latest updates to the transmissions they're installing in the 2nd gen TLs seem to have fixed the issue. so if you have to get it replaced then you should rest easy knowing that the new ones since February 2005 have had no reported failures yet.

Bob (SSTS)
Old 11-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Advanced

rx 7s rock. good luck with the tl-s.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Drifting

O.K.,

I'll give you guys an update and then answer all the individual posts.

First, thanks for all the PMs.

Secondly, I went to the dealership that is selling the car out in Laurel, MD. The guy let me test drive the car overnight to see how I liked it. Everything was going fine until after I left Red Lobster. Nothing "bad" happened, but the "ABS" and "TCS" button came on and wouldn't turn off (I drove about 2 miles with these indicator lights on). I pushed the "TCS" button a bunch of times, but the light wouldn't turn off.

When I stopped at Starbucks, turned off the car, got my frap, got back in the car, and started it again, the lights turned off like normal.

Also, the maintenance required light blinked for a good 5 seconds after start up and then went off. This is probably not abnormal though.

When I drove to work this morning, everything was fine. I will talk to the dealer about these issues before committing. If nothing else, I would like to get the price down a tad (17,900.00).

no way i would pay 17,900 for a car that was doing this, go find another TL
Old 11-14-2006, 10:44 AM
Racer

For that price find yourself a nice S-Type. This way you can be good looking and fast.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:09 PM
Banned

if i were u, sell the tl u got, since u can get good money for it, with it being still young, get another 02tl with a lower mileage, and then ur set for 100k, compared to this one
Old 11-14-2006, 02:54 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
100 bucks that the comments would've been different
if the poster used this pic instead........
Old 11-14-2006, 02:56 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation I call B.S. !!!!

guys we all know a girl that hot doesnt spend her time on acura forums ..... i am sorry i have to ruin your fun.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Race Director

By "service," is there anything that I should be concentrated on specifically?

What should the regular service involve? Tranny flush? Oil change? Anything else?
Just really an oil change and tire rotation. You dont have to do a tranny flush every oil change. If you get the car serviced at the dealership like I do they put it up on the platform and tell you how everything is looking and if anything needs to be changed on your car.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by nyctl
100 bucks that the comments would've been different
if the poster used this pic instead........
Old 11-14-2006, 03:54 PM
Burning Brakes

I'd like to try your buttery nipples
Old 11-14-2006, 04:08 PM
jz808

Man, some of these guys has never seen a girl before.

OK, you should try www.hincity.com to see girls with cars.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Opium den in

Is that a picture of a relative?
Old 11-14-2006, 04:19 PM
10th Gear

If you buy it now your under warranty for another 15k, after that you can buy a powertrain warranty (on-line, not dealer ones) for $1200 which insures up to for another 40k up.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:52 PM
B A N N E D

lol @ this thread it is very entertaining.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Hi. My name is Amanda. This is me and my half brother:

Old 11-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

What happened to the pic??
Old 11-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01clsstock
guys we all know a girl that hot doesnt spend her time on acura forums ..... i am sorry i have to ruin your fun.
xtin in the 3g forums is a very attractive...the girl in the pic was hot too, but i'm sure a faker would have used a much more appealing pic, not that her picture wasn't appealing, but you get the point...

unless it's the guy in the picture posting up his sister trying to get help!
Old 11-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Racer

After all these posts we still do not know - Did you buy the car ?????
Old 11-14-2006, 08:49 PM
Racer

SO Where is your pic Sherlock?? Everybody is talking about your pic i just gotta see it!!
Old 11-15-2006, 12:20 PM
Instructor

i love the fact that the pic was removed and this thread died. Amanda really proved her point with 2 separate threads here...

the one without the pic didn't get any responses and the one with the pic got a ton...that was of course until the pic was removed.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

What happened to my pics?

Can we not post pics in this forum?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 2Rude
SO Where is your pic Sherlock?? Everybody is talking about your pic i just gotta see it!!
????
Old 11-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1osunut
After all these posts we still do not know - Did you buy the car ?????
I want to make sure that I get the best deal so I am looking...
Old 11-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stever627
xtin in the 3g forums is a very attractive...the girl in the pic was hot too, but i'm sure a faker would have used a much more appealing pic, not that her picture wasn't appealing, but you get the point...

unless it's the guy in the picture posting up his sister trying to get help!
I hope it was appealing damm!t.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01clsstock

You don't know me and you don't know my interests.

Some women enjoy things beyond shopping and free make-up samplers at Nordstrom.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:15 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
hi Amanda, and welcome to the board. here's what i can tell you regarding the transmissions:

not all the 2nd generation TLs are affected. your car may be outside of the VIN range that was included in the voluntary warranty extension. call your dealer and check first, because if it's included then your transmission is warrantied until 7 years or 100,000 miles. (so for you it would be some time in 2009 presumably or another 65,000 miles).

don't bother with purchasing the extended warranty from the dealer, as it will not get you anything extra with the transmission issues.

alot of people have experienced failures, although not all of them. i know it seems otherwise when you read the posts. there is nothing you can do to prevent the failure, it's due to inadequate engineering and bad materials. it is not linked to how you drive or how hard you beat on the car.

personally i think the TL is a good choice. my transmission failed and i had a new one in within a day. it was a slight inconvenience but they gave me a rental car and by the end of the next day i was on my way again.

99% of the failures are not catastrophic. there have been some horror stories, but if you are attentive to your car (like any driver should be) then you will likely notice something is wrong way before the tranny fails. at that time if you bring it to the dealer then they will certainly check it out since they know this is an issue. for instance, mine began making a whining noise but was still perfectly driveable through the time it took for the dealer to order a new tranny for me.

there are other options. you can get a rebuilt tranny from dr. evil (which has not yet been absolutely proven to work but seems promising thus far) or you can do a manual swap, which take some time and money but can be done.

either way i would say that if you like the TL just keep it and enjoy it. the transmission will be the least of your worries. the latest updates to the transmissions they're installing in the 2nd gen TLs seem to have fixed the issue. so if you have to get it replaced then you should rest easy knowing that the new ones since February 2005 have had no reported failures yet.

Bob (SSTS)
Thanks for your response Bob.

I know that the 2003 that I have been writing about is not covered under the extension. So my plan was to buy the extended warranty to cover the power train after 50,000 miles.

Are you saying that the dealership does not offer extended powertrain (up to 100,000 miles) warranties for purchase?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stever627
i love the fact that the pic was removed and this thread died. Amanda really proved her point with 2 separate threads here...

the one without the pic didn't get any responses and the one with the pic got a ton...that was of course until the pic was removed.
Ain't that the truth.

My friends and I noticed one time that during the winter time, when we wear sweaters and jeans, and coats, we got very few free drinks at the bar.

But in the spring and summer time, when our clothes were a bit more revealing, the free drinks and dinners would flow like water out of a faucet.

Same thing applies here, I guess. This is just the "internet" version.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Banned

lol ^^
Old 11-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Registered Charity

Thanks for your response Bob.

I know that the 2003 that I have been writing about is not covered under the extension. So my plan was to buy the extended warranty to cover the power train after 50,000 miles.

Are you saying that the dealership does not offer extended powertrain (up to 100,000 miles) warranties for purchase?
You might compare the cost of the extended powertrain warranty (regardless of who you buy it from) against the cost of a new transmission, if that's the sole reason you'd be buying it. As I think you know already, it often doesn't make sense to buy an extended warranty for cars as reliable as ours ...

By the way, at your suggestion, I got my grandmother to switch from Jack Daniels to Appletinis. She seems happier, and recently stopped swearing in French. Merci bien.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Charity

What happened to my pics?

Can we not post pics in this forum?
There's pics, and there's pics. While I certainly appreciated yours, it's a moderated forum, and I suppose the moderators had to judge the content of the photos against the purpose of the forum which, occasionally, although not always, has to do with Acuras and photos of them in various states of modification, mortification and buffness.

I'm sure they have a very complicated formula they use to decide what pics to keep and what pics to delete. I'm even more certain that this method frequently gives way to private moral and aesthetic visions of what belongs in the Forum.

I believe, Amanda, that your pics belonged in the Forum.

But I'm just one guy talking.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
they might fly in the Ramblings->Camera&Photograghy section of the forum
Old 11-15-2006, 02:17 PM
i am so smart S M R T

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am with brother david.... bring back the pics!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 02:22 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
The thread was cleaned.

This is the general discussion area for the Second Gen TL. Please keep threads related to that. This thread asked for tranny-related opinions, so please try to keep it on track. If you're looking to just 'chat it up' -- please visit the Ramblings Forum, located Off-Topic. This is a model-specific section.

Thanks, and welcome to the site.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by CL Platano
I would not get any car that is showing lights in a test drive. If they are serious about selling you the car then have them throughly check that tranny first. In my opinion, I'd find a different TL
Those lights mean the transmission threw a error code. Means it has transmission problems!! Get them to fix it right away before buying it.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
^ Allow me to add where Street Spirit left off ...

For the -- if you want pics of Sherlock_Holmes ... PM (private message) her for a link. Don't PW up this page ... it's a pain to clean up all the useless posts.

Better yet ... Sherlock_Holmes ... post your picture here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/%2A%2A%2A%2Aacurazine-member-picture-thread-%2A%2A%2A%2A-307259/

Quick Reply: 7 1/2 hours to make a decision