Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 03:07 PM
Tristate Vip Crew

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CHECK PLEASE!!!!!!! ..... ahhhhh that's better
Old 11-13-2006, 03:16 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Baltimore may have taken the Browns away from us and we will never fogive Modell - but this is a step in the right direction. This is just waht this site needed. How about a Thread in the photo gallery for girls and their TL's

I think that would not only be awesome but Im guessing the most looked at thread ever posted.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty much just know as long as your tranny doesnt die on you the rest of the car will last forever. Hondas are known to never ever die and I dont think the TL is the expection as long as you keep the tranny in good shape. Just make sure to reguarly service your car.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sherlock_Holmes
Thank you sooo much for the response. I'm am literally pulling my hair out here.

I got the 7 because these guys around Baltimore/Washington ride around like they're all that. When my 7 is running, I surprise them either by stopping their pull or all out winning by a couple of cars.

I love the styling of the 7 and I have never seen another girl in one.

As far as the picture.... Sometimes I gotta use what I got. Some people will pay more attention to visuals than to requests for help. See this thread that I posted almost an hour ago:

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/fs-ssr-competition-17x8-w-yokohama-es100-235-45-a-147853/

No responses.

This thread got 2 replies and a private message in 10 minutes.
I've seen this girl in an Rx-7 by 22 in Jersey. I was in love, all I saw was long hair and other femine attributes.

Haha I always wanted an RX7 but the maintenance is horrible, I opted for an S4 and the maintenance is also killing me so it was a lost lost situation. It is true with the posting, if i saw your other post I would of responded, Im just new here and I live on other forums. Like someone said earlier, if you have problempeeps would race over there.

The only problem I saw with transmission problems was a 2000 with 180k miles on it. The mechanic told them to get an old tranny from a junkyard and he did the swap like that.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Racer

Make-up kiss?

Old 11-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Racer

If you sell the video of the above picture you would have more then enough money to repair your trans if it went bad and do several mods.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:28 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1osunut
I do however have an extended warranty and Im in good with the Acura dealership behind my place of work. I plan on getting my tranny swapped out reguardless of weather its bad or not before my policy expires.
How are you going to just get your tranny swapped out regardless if it's bad or not? Is it just because your in good with the Acura dealership?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
B A N N E D

damn the view count on this thread is goin up like crazy lol

i had my tranny replaced 5 months after i bought it, then again 3000 miles after the replacement. i put about 20k on the current tranny and its not show any signs of going out. hope your luckier than i was.

by the way nothing beats a gorgeous girl in a RX7, just do us all a favor and post pics of your RX7, your new TL, and yourself with the cars lol
Old 11-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeh Sherlock, you're TIMID, and the freakin' mods would have closed this thread a long time ago if they could have taken their eyes off the pics! Talk about being off topic!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:03 PM
B A N N E D

703 views...

good luck
Old 11-13-2006, 05:22 PM
Drifting

i dont care, ill say it, on behalf of everyone here, MORE PICS!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Racer

more pics please

in a bikini
Old 11-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by tonggi
I've seen this girl in an Rx-7 by 22 in Jersey. I was in love, all I saw was long hair and other femine attributes.
Was it a brunette in a dark blue FD?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Racer

Gentlemen/women:

Hi. My name is Amanda. This is me and my half brother:

Since I cannot get an answer to my problem, I figured that I'd entice you gentlemen with a pic of me at Bar Baltimore (great place for Tequilas abd buttery nipples by the way). If that is the only way I can get some attention to my post then so be it.

Anyways...I just bought a 2003 TL with 35,000 miles (I know that I am under manufacturer warranty for another 15,000 miles). It is one of the later production dates (over **********19000), therefore not covered under warranty.

Reading about the tranny issues, it really seems as if EVERYONE is having this tranny problem. Otherwise stated, it is not "if," but "when."Moving on, I have not finalized the paperwork yet. I just traded in my paid off 97 Corolla and my IS300 that I was upside-down on in order to address my financial and practical concerns. I am not locked in to the TL purchase so if there is a 30+% chance of me having this tranny problem, I am backing out.

Suprisingly, I spent one hour reading through the 20+ pages on tranny issues and the question was never addressed concerning the prevalence of the tranny issues. I know what Honda claims (2%) but what sense do you get being an owner and knowing other owners.

Is everyone having this problem (is it a matter of when, not if)?
I know there have been some manual swaps--price, successes?

IS THIS INEVITABLE?!?!?!

Help, please. I just paid 5400.00 for a engine for my RX-7. The TL is to be my reliable car. I cannot afford MUCH of maintenance.

I know chilvalry is not extinct. Please help me out.

-Amanda
wow-nice rack if you dont mind me saying!! if your ever out in california dont hesitate to hit me up, youll get a personally guided tour with complimentary dinner
Old 11-13-2006, 05:34 PM
FOR SALE - BM

good luck with your purchase... May the mods to your car be as good as the mods to your body...
Old 11-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Wallace, LA

Wow, look at all the tools in this thread.

Get a life.
Old 11-13-2006, 05:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

2003 TL-s Here..................just over 21,000 miles.

Still have the original tranny and car runs strong even with all my mods.

I remember this thread a while back where people posted if there TL had a tranny replaced or not..........you'll be surprised how many are still on original tranny..
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...riginal+tranny

From reading your above posts it seems your looking for a idea how widespread the issue is...............hope this helps

BTW: Love your "hair color"
Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Racer

Im all about Tequilas and buttery nipples

WELL ????? Did you buy it. I don't pray very often but I have been praying all day that do. You are an excellent addition to this outstanding web site. You are a breath of fresh air - a large breath of freah air.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:45 PM
04 Black Infiniti I35

Seems to me like half of you guys never seen a chick before. lol
Old 11-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Racer

Wow 3 pages.......just b/c a girl posted pics of herself (supposedly her).

Anyways, I have 40k miles on my '03 and the original tranny was replaced @ around 30k. Haven't had a problem since then. Just do the scheduled maintenance and you should be fine. If for some reason, the tranny does die on you, just take it in to the dealer and have fun driving around in the loaner car for a few days. TL is a great car, can't go wrong! Good luck!
Old 11-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mclarenf3387
Was it a brunette in a dark blue FD?

Yea probably, it wasn't a blonde and it was some white girl. It looked stock but this was a while ago.

Don't see many RX7s here, I saw one chinese guy in South Edison with a beat up red 3rd gen but thats about it.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LacViet
my 03TL-S with 67K miles is still on original tranny with no issues/problems so far, and my car is a late model as well which wasn't part of 100K extended warranty. Make sure your new car had oiljet installed (part of recall on tranny). Good luck and don't forget to take some pics of your new car with you in it!

Hey, just a quick question, why are the later models tranny's not included??? are the newer ones upgraded to not have the same problems?? i have a non-extended tl and i looked and seen the "oil jet" was done, what does that mean exactly?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

Carney huh, I just moved out to Silver Spring from white marsh, got a 3G TL aspec 6speed. Nice to hear from a person from back in Bmore.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:36 PM
TLingggggggg

Amazing what happens when a woman asks a question and also adds a pic of her sexy self lol. LET THE QUESTIONS ANSWERS FLOW LIKE WATER. To be honest I wouldnt trade in two cars and especially that IS300 for one car unless its a BMW 330CI or like a Benzy CLK430.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:40 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
get the damn TL it's a great car. you've got 7yrs/100k warranty on the tranny, drive it with class.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
hmm... some guys really need to get off the internet and get real lives...

But anyhow.

I have an 03 that is covered until 100k, or after this Xmas, up to 109k. I don't know the tranny failure statistics of the late model 2nd gens (the later 03 models). But from what I've read on these forums, it seems like the late 03's also have the same problem.

All I can suggest is: get an extended warranty if possible, or if your tranny breaks, raise hell until the dealership gives you one for free. I know a few of the 02 owners were able to get new trannys past the 100k mark without having to pay a huge fee.

Some things that I've read but not sure if they help or not:

1. Try getting the oil jet kit done. (I had it done on my 03 TL-S, and mine still broke..so eh)

2. Use sports shift (tip tronic) whenever you drive and try to not use 3rd gear so much. The problem is a faulty design of the transmission: our trannies overheat causing the 3rd gear clutchpack to get hot and literally fall apart. (Again, I don't know if using Sports shift will really help, but eh... use sportshift and shift out of 3rd gear before hitting 4k rpms)

3. Drive like a grandma. Yeah it's a shame. I hate the idea of driving my TL-S like an old lady. Having 260hp + mods in a car and driving it like a grandma is like having a sexy naked woman infront of you and having erectile disfunction. But honestly, I think this might be the best idea. Drive conservatively and don't over work the tranny.

Either way, I know many members may disagree as to the preventative methods above. My friend who owns an 03 CL-S has commented that many CL-S automatic tranny failures are due to the way people drive. Could be true. If anything, I think people who always rev their TL-S/CL-S hard, aggravate their trannies more, but think of it this way: If you're given something with a faulty design, certain things might aggravate it and may cause it to break; but at the same time it might just break from simple use. It's up to you to decide how you want to approach the problem.

On a side note: What version engine did you buy for the RX-7? FC or FD Chasis? I actually helped my cousin rebuild his FD with a 13B-REW (280 horsepower JP version) engine.

Anyhow. Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy the TL.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by BraveDemon

1. Try getting the oil jet kit done. (I had it done on my 03 TL-S, and mine still broke..so eh)

2. Use sports shift (tip tronic) whenever you drive and try to not use 3rd gear so much. The problem is a faulty design of the transmission: our trannies overheat causing the 3rd gear clutchpack to get hot and literally fall apart. (Again, I don't know if using Sports shift will really help, but eh... use sportshift and shift out of 3rd gear before hitting 4k rpms)

3. Drive like a grandma. Yeah it's a shame. I hate the idea of driving my TL-S like an old lady. Having 260hp + mods in a car and driving it like a grandma is like having a sexy naked woman infront of you and having erectile disfunction. But honestly, I think this might be the best idea. Drive conservatively and don't over work the tranny.
1.Oil jet does Nothing for the problem we have. Its for a completly unrelated issue.

2. Wont make a difference. (our trannies dont over heat, there is a lack of coolant to 3rd gear, and IMHO its the clutchpacks are too small)

3. Wont make a difference (many do already and they still failed)
Old 11-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

LOL@ THE AMOUNT OF RESPONSES AND PEOPLE VIEWING THIS THREAD NOW,
Old 11-13-2006, 10:55 PM
NiGhT rIdEr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a girl wit big b@@bs starts a thread yesterday and already has 3 pages. lol
Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BraveDemon
hmm... some guys really need to get off the internet and get real lives...

But anyhow.

I have an 03 that is covered until 100k, or after this Xmas, up to 109k. I don't know the tranny failure statistics of the late model 2nd gens (the later 03 models). But from what I've read on these forums, it seems like the late 03's also have the same problem.

All I can suggest is: get an extended warranty if possible, or if your tranny breaks, raise hell until the dealership gives you one for free. I know a few of the 02 owners were able to get new trannys past the 100k mark without having to pay a huge fee.

Either way, I know many members may disagree as to the preventative methods above. My friend who owns an 03 CL-S has commented that many CL-S automatic tranny failures are due to the way people drive. Could be true. If anything, I think people who always rev their TL-S/CL-S hard, aggravate their trannies more, but think of it this way: If you're given something with a faulty design, certain things might aggravate it and may cause it to break; but at the same time it might just break from simple use. It's up to you to decide how you want to approach the problem.

On a side note: What version engine did you buy for the RX-7? FC or FD Chasis? I actually helped my cousin rebuild his FD with a 13B-REW (280 horsepower JP version) engine.

Anyhow. Welcome to the forums and I hope you enjoy the TL.

1, 2, 3, u explanined there, will not perserve the life of it
Old 11-13-2006, 11:14 PM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

i ahve a 02 tl type s at 98,7xx miles on it and havent had any sort of problem, besides the damn srs light, it just keeps coming back but love the car *knock on wood*
Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 AM
Burning Brakes

I have a couple questions... I have a 2004 that is part of the recall (according to Acuralink, my car has had the Oil Jet installed as part of the recall).

According to this thread, the warranty is extended to 100,000 miles or 7 years for the 2000 to early 2003 models. Is my 2004 not extended even though it is part of the recall? Where is it written by Acura about the extension?

Do the newer TL's have a different transmission? If so, wouldn't the replacement trannies for the 2nd Gen be that one? If not, why do the 3rd Gen not seem to have as many trannie problems? I have heard of many 2nd Gen'ers going through 3 or more trannies... I am assuming the 3.2 block is the same...

Sorry Sherlock_Holmes, not trying to hijack your thread, but it seems related... Great job getting attention pulled to your thread!

Good luck with the TL! I love mine!

Coming to Hawaii anytime soon?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:00 AM
:( Harminder Is Lost In

should the 04 tl be in the 3rd gen?
Old 11-14-2006, 02:21 AM
Instructor

Just to add to the good comments to help ease your mind....

I'm at 118k and still running perfect. But i have a 99, dunno if that is supposed to be better than the 00-03's.

It really is a gamble, just as with any car. Acura is proud of their product though and will treat you better than most car companies.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by harminder247
should the 04 tl be in the 3rd gen?
Yes, the 04 TL is a 3rd Gen. But it is included in the recall...

Sorry for the confusion.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:29 AM
Blazin with your Moms in

...$5400 for an RX-7 Tranny? Dont worry.. that will buy you about 1.65 Acura trannies!

Where are the additional pics???? If your car is SSM then a car pic will suffice!!!

Get Used To It!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Intermediate

O.K.,

I'll give you guys an update and then answer all the individual posts.

First, thanks for all the PMs.

Secondly, I went to the dealership that is selling the car out in Laurel, MD. The guy let me test drive the car overnight to see how I liked it. Everything was going fine until after I left Red Lobster. Nothing "bad" happened, but the "ABS" and "TCS" button came on and wouldn't turn off (I drove about 2 miles with these indicator lights on). I pushed the "TCS" button a bunch of times, but the light wouldn't turn off.

When I stopped at Starbucks, turned off the car, got my frap, got back in the car, and started it again, the lights turned off like normal.

Also, the maintenance required light blinked for a good 5 seconds after start up and then went off. This is probably not abnormal though.

When I drove to work this morning, everything was fine. I will talk to the dealer about these issues before committing. If nothing else, I would like to get the price down a tad (17,900.00).
Old 11-14-2006, 07:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Pretty much just know as long as your tranny doesnt die on you the rest of the car will last forever. Hondas are known to never ever die and I dont think the TL is the expection as long as you keep the tranny in good shape. Just make sure to reguarly service your car.
By "service," is there anything that I should be concentrated on specifically?

What should the regular service involve? Tranny flush? Oil change? Anything else?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by drdamian
good luck with your purchase... May the mods to your car be as good as the mods to your body...
If by mods you mean exercise, a semi-vegetarian diet, fish three times a week...

If by mods you mean good genes...

If by mods you mean plastic surgery...
Old 11-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by S1CK TypeS
damn the view count on this thread is goin up like crazy lol

i had my tranny replaced 5 months after i bought it, then again 3000 miles after the replacement. i put about 20k on the current tranny and its not show any signs of going out. hope your luckier than i was.

by the way nothing beats a gorgeous girl in a RX7, just do us all a favor and post pics of your RX7, your new TL, and yourself with the cars lol
I'll take pics of both cars after I finalize the TL.

Quick Reply: 7 1/2 hours to make a decision