60K service

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
60K service

My ‘99 is 60K old. Service manual is calling for check… check…check.
Any advises on service?
Old 12-26-2002, 12:39 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, if you have changed the fluids regularly then you shouldn't do the service cause it's nothing major that they do.

Are you leasing or financing the car? If it is a lease then definitely do it. If not don't even bother.

The only service I will do is the 100K mile service. Right now, I have 68K+ miles on my 99 TL.
Old 12-26-2002, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plugs,Air filter,Fuel Filter,and oil change ---this is the basic list and can be done at home---the extended list would be- Trans serv--coolant serv,brake fluid flush,--rotate and balance of tires---
Old 12-26-2002, 02:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TubbysTL-S
Plugs,Air filter,Fuel Filter,and oil change ---this is the basic list and can be done at home---the extended list would be- Trans serv--coolant serv,brake fluid flush,--rotate and balance of tires---
Brake fluid flush
Old 12-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Instructor

Correct--Acura and Mitchel on Demand call it - " Change Brake Fluid "anywhere you go to have it done they call it a brake fluid flush-
Old 12-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by TubbysTL-S
Correct--Acura and Mitchel on Demand call it - " Change Brake Fluid "anywhere you go to have it done they call it a brake fluid flush-
Who or what is Mitchel on Demand? Also, I understand the concept of changing brake fluid, but can't understand why it needs to be done, especially since it's a sealed system and so early in the mileage.
Old 12-26-2002, 04:01 PM
Instructor

My Faux Pas --Mitchel on Demand is a Parts and Labor Look up Guide that is Used By many Repair shops in the Industry--
Old 12-26-2002, 08:48 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by johnnyb_s

Who or what is Mitchel on Demand? Also, I understand the concept of changing brake fluid, but can't understand why it needs to be done, especially since it's a sealed system and so early in the mileage.
Brake fluid goes bad and gets contaiminated. If it didn't, it would look golden in the reservour. Look in your brake reservour and it probably looks dark brown. When you hit your brake pedal, you're applying pressure to the fluid. Increase pressure and you increase temperature - breaking down the fluid. If you've ever rebuilt brake cylinders, Calipers, or bled brake lines, you could see the crap that collects. Also gets corrosive over time.

Good idea to change out. I learned an expensive lesson on my 300ZX because I didn't change out brake fluid regularly.
Old 12-27-2002, 05:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by johnnyb_s

Brake fluid flush
Let me shed some light on this....

Brake fluid is used for few reasons (other than the obvious...stopping )

One, it lubricates the brake components.
Two, it keeps moisture from reaching the metals ...inside brake lines, and in the calipers.
Three, it dissipates heat without boiling (under normal use).

When brake fluid is about two years old, it starts to absorb moisture...when it does this, the internals of the brake system starts to corrode. I realize the brake system is a "closed" system, but the moisture finds a way in there...when the brake fluid starts to look "yellowish", it is showing signs of moisture.
It then needs to be "flushed" and changed out.

Have you noticed that on all bottles of brake fluid, it always states to keep the bottle sealed? Or it tells you never to use brake fluid out of a bottle that was not sealed? It is because within a few hours of sitting open, the brake fluid will reach full saturation of moisture from the atmosphere. Some brake fluids have built in chemicals to fight against moisture, but it is really just futile. One such brand is Castrol LMA DOT4. LMA stands for "low moisture activity".

Anyway, I strongly recommend changing brake fluid every other year. I usually do the brake fluid one year, and the antifreeze on the next.

Hope this explains the brake fluid mystery.
Old 12-27-2002, 08:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by MadJap

Let me shed some light on this....

Brake fluid is used for few reasons (other than the obvious...stopping )

One, it lubricates the brake components.
Two, it keeps moisture from reaching the metals ...inside brake lines, and in the calipers.
Three, it dissipates heat without boiling (under normal use).

When brake fluid is about two years old, it starts to absorb moisture...when it does this, the internals of the brake system starts to corrode. I realize the brake system is a "closed" system, but the moisture finds a way in there...when the brake fluid starts to look "yellowish", it is showing signs of moisture.
It then needs to be "flushed" and changed out.

Have you noticed that on all bottles of brake fluid, it always states to keep the bottle sealed? Or it tells you never to use brake fluid out of a bottle that was not sealed? It is because within a few hours of sitting open, the brake fluid will reach full saturation of moisture from the atmosphere. Some brake fluids have built in chemicals to fight against moisture, but it is really just futile. One such brand is Castrol LMA DOT4. LMA stands for "low moisture activity".

Anyway, I strongly recommend changing brake fluid every other year. I usually do the brake fluid one year, and the antifreeze on the next.

Hope this explains the brake fluid mystery.
Thanks for the insight on that. On all the cars my family has owned throughout the years, we never fully changed the brake fluid...the only time was when when worked on the brakes and had to bleed them out.