5 consecutive engine misfires

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 01:52 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
Exclamation 5 consecutive engine misfires

Hey Guys,

Been a while since I posted, but over the last two months I've had a lot of engine ticking (I'm assuming it's lifter/ riser tick). On Tuesday I started the car (02 Acura TL-P 144k) in the morning to have the TCS light come on solid along with the CEL. I turned the car off and found other transport to work. I started it on Wednesday to only see the CEL on (no TCS) and plugged in my OBD II reader. The following codes came up:

P0301- Cylinder 1 misfire
P0304- Cylinder 4 misfire
P0305- Cylinder 5 misfire
P0300- Cylinder misfire random
P1399- Cylinder misfire random

The obvious culprit is to check the plugs which I intend to do this weekend, however I cleared the codes and no CEL or TCS light was thrown on the quick test drive I did . Is there anything else you guys can think of that I should look into while I have the plugs out? Appreciate the help!
Old 04-22-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 5,503 Likes on 3,758 Posts
Misfires while running? Or just CEL showing misfires?
My 2000 had the winter blend hot start issue before I traded it in, but it sounds like you're getting the codes on a cold engine.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Seafoam, it fixes everything.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:50 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Are you feeling any misfiring? Smooth idle?

At this point don't even pull the plugs (unless it's due for new OEM plugs). Make sure the plugs are not loose in the head, and that the ign coils are tighened down (6mm hex) and just drive it until it gets worse. Might just be a fuel problem. But keep a set of new ignition coils handy, as those can go too. I had a pair of coils (2 & 5) just stop working with no warning at 110k.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 00TL-P3.2
Misfires while running? Or just CEL showing misfires?
My 2000 had the winter blend hot start issue before I traded it in, but it sounds like you're getting the codes on a cold engine.
The codes were thrown immediately on a cold start up (4/19/16). After work that evening I started it, warmed the car up and then used an ODBII reader to clear the codes. I drove it quickly around and parked it without codes. I did not start the car again until this morning, no codes were thrown but the idle is bad. Reverberation through-out the entire car. It got me to work (9 mi) but it does not sound healthy.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:21 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
Seafoam, it fixes everything.
I seafoamed the car at 95k, since then it has had more rough idle.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:23 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same codes and it was a few of my ignition coils that were the culprit.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Tosh
Are you feeling any misfiring? Smooth idle?

At this point don't even pull the plugs (unless it's due for new OEM plugs). Make sure the plugs are not loose in the head, and that the ign coils are tighened down (6mm hex) and just drive it until it gets worse. Might just be a fuel problem. But keep a set of new ignition coils handy, as those can go too. I had a pair of coils (2 & 5) just stop working with no warning at 110k.
Fuel is good, no issues with bad gas and no cuts. I intend to drive it until it dies. However, this most recent issue plus a leaking rear main seal, leaking power steering pump, leaking brake booster, mild slip in the transmission and blown coilovers it could be any day now. I'll check the ignition coils this week but I'm hard pressed to place any more time, effort or money into this car. I think it's seeing it's last days best to trade it in before it's worth nothing.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by colt21886
I had the same codes and it was a few of my ignition coils that were the culprit.
I'll look into that, but I don't want to spend $150+on coil packs.

Last edited by KatabaticSaint; 04-25-2016 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Originally Posted by KatabaticSaint
Fuel is good, no issues with bad gas and no cuts. I intend to drive it until it dies. However, this most recent issue plus a leaking rear main seal, leaking power steering pump, leaking brake booster, mild slip in the transmission and blown coilovers it could be any day now. I'll check the ignition coils this week but I'm hard pressed to place any more time, effort or money into this car. I think it's seeing it's last days best to trade it in before it's worth nothing.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by colt21886
I also think it points to flaky ignition coils. Replace all six. Get the $21 Airtex brand ign coils from rockauto.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Try testing out the coil packs. Buy one and swap out one at a time. IIRC (from other post) I think you have to pull the clock fuse every time you swap a coil.

I had the same issue with misfiring.. I changed all my spark plugs and coils, cleaned my IM and EGR Ports... and it ended up being my Fuel Pressure Regulator. Hope this helps. lol.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got something similar going on. I've replaced all 6 ignition coils with aftermarket. Probably have stuff gunked up in intake/emissions stuff.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I am also having a similar issue here and have gone though quite the diagnosis process.

OK guys, still having the misfire issue. Turns out it wayyy bigger than just the Coils and Spark Plugs.

So This first started when I had a misfire for my sparkplug being loose, and was misfiring originally and fixed that. Then it drove fine for like 2 months, now had misfire again after driving home at ~90 +/- 10MPH for 3 hours to take a 3 Hour exam after work. Was not an issue at all during that drive and even drove home after the exam just fine.

Then go to start it the next day to go to work and its gave me a misfire feeling before the 'check engine' light came on, I couldn't be late so I had to leave it in the garage until the weekend.

Then on the weekend I got some local guys to come and help.

I wanted to first identify what I thought was causing the issue more than I had done already by unplugging and plugging in the coil packs. So I swapped the Coils and Sparks onto his car and figured out exactly what coil or spark plug was bad. I found that one of the coils was giving his car a misfire too!

HAZAH!

So I put in my Autocraft one that I got in from the Parts store and they ran just perfect on his car.

While I was figuring this out I wanted to go for the deepest problem solving I could over the weekend. So I thought that maybe it was an injector as some guys at the local performance shop said. I also thought that maybe it could have been a bad valve adjustment (just did that a little while ago) so I had the time I would check out these things.

So I went and checked these out and valves were fine, and I moved the injector from the one that was giving me issues ( Front Center Cylinder #5) to #6 ( right next to it on the left).

Then I put the coils and sparks that were working perfect on the other guys' car and put them on mine and put the car back together.

So it worked for a little and even made the 2 Hour drive (with stops for gas) to the apartment without a hiccup. Then literally on the last exit coming to a stop it shuddered and started to misfire again.

Any Ideas?

I am thinking its the Injectors now as that's the only thing I swapped locations from original when it all ran on my friends car.

Perhaps they are clogged or a bad flow? I have been replacing sparks and coils in every combination so it must be something else.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:03 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gabru- if the coil pack worked initially, you're car my have rejected the non-oem coil. I bought aftermarket coils and 2 died a few weeks later and it caused all sorts of diagnostic nightmares since I never assumed a new non-oem coil would go bad so quickly. Others on this board have advised me to always use oem parts when it comes to the engine. You could be right insofar as it being a much bigger problem but don't overlook that cheap autozone coil as I did in the past.

The next step is a good cleaning of your egr ports.

Last edited by knice; 05-02-2016 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:53 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Lol guess what?
It was just another Coil Pack!

Bought another one as it was the only thing they were able to have right away, even though I did order an Injector at the same time just in case.

But yea she has been running pretty great after that. Even had my compression tested and those were fine and checked the flow rate on those 2 injectors and those were fine too!

So Luckily it was just another coil pack for me, ended up replacing all of the front ones then too *shrug*