2000TL Tune Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000TL Tune Up

Hi guys I have been looking around and trying to figure out what needs to be done to my TL. I bought it with 125k and now am I around 155k.... All I have done is change the oil.

I found the thread about NGK Iridium IX spark plugs... Awesome DIY

But I am curious what I should do about the tranny because I am sure the oil needs to be changed, but it runs fine so I don't want it to blow up

So should I just drain and full the oil? I found a thread that says put it 3 quarts then drain and do it a couple of times which is kinda confusing..?? Seems easier to just drain and fill

Anything else that needs to be done?
Old 09-01-2010, 09:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
You dont fill then drain, you drain then fill it back up. Typically 3-3.2 quarts come out when you drain. The trans holds near 8 quarts. that is the reason to drain then fill doing it 3 times. You get more of the old out and new in. Do NOT flush

Has your timing belt been replaced yet?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

yea I should have proof read my post lol... I understand drain then fill, but my concern is having problems with the tranny after messing with the oil. I'm scared to death that it will blow up and wondering if I should just leave it alone since it runs fine. Also I would need to buy 12 quarts which is kinda spendy,.

I'm not sure what has been done, all I know is I bought it at 125k and put 30k on it and haven't done anything but oil change. Runs great
Old 09-02-2010, 01:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
do NOT do a 12 qt flush= trans death for older units
3 qts one time- thats it

best thing is a 3 ounce oil sample to lab for analysis- www.blackstone-lab.com for info
Will tell you if the clutches are disintegrating or ok

register with acura- make sure the oil jet kit was installed under recall and see if you are part of the airbag inflator recall
1-800-382-2238x5

caution -the azine curse- dont state your miles and how great trans is--ever seen scary movie? starts the countdown clock

remove a spark plug and see how old it looks- indicator of 105 service from that,
and look at bolts for timing belt covers for signs a wrench/socket touched them at some point
Old 09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Intermediate

well I had to call both Acura of Canada and USA to get information, but my car does have the recall for the 2nd gear. Either I get the oil kit or the my tranny replaced if there is a problem.

Somehow my car made it to the states without having the recall done and my local Acura said they can't do anything cause its a Canadian car... After calling both Acuras I finally got the US Acura to give me a case number and I'm waiting to hear back.

Is there anything I can say or do to help my local dealer with the recall and get a new tranny so I don't have to worry about it? I don't wanna lie but my car does shift kinda hard and just doesn't seem right.

I would much rather get a news trans then the stupid oil kit
Old 09-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

if its a usa car- usa dealer needs to handle
if canada car- canada acura
they are different companies
of course the car qualifies for the recall - but was it ever done??
verify you dont have the recall installed oil jet kit
look at top of trans where filler bolt should be
if a large bolt with ATF marked on it is there- no oil kit
If a small black line goes to a funky thing in that hole, held on by a 12mm bolt (see numerous pics with search) then it has the oil jet kit

Also look under car at trans end- main bolts going thru trans will have blue painted bolt heads on warranty replaced units, cant miss them either~

the good news!!- if specific damage from heat is found in the right areas, it turns into a warranty replacement trans
Old 09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Team Owner

dealer uses a boroscope camera to examine for heat damage to 2nd gear
There is nothing for you to say to make it worse- its bad or its not

assuming canada car it will be easier to get warranty done there

Last edited by 01tl4tl; 09-02-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
At 155k miles and 10 years your TL is way past the 100k (or 109k due to the odometer issue) mark for the tranny replacement. Hopefully you've been going to the dealer for your oil changes because you'd have to rely on goodwill.

Maybe you purchased an extended warranty?
Old 09-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by teamsorad
well I had to call both Acura of Canada and USA to get information, but my car does have the recall for the 2nd gear. Either I get the oil kit or the my tranny replaced if there is a problem.

Somehow my car made it to the states without having the recall done and my local Acura said they can't do anything cause its a Canadian car... After calling both Acuras I finally got the US Acura to give me a case number and I'm waiting to hear back.

Is there anything I can say or do to help my local dealer with the recall and get a new tranny so I don't have to worry about it? I don't wanna lie but my car does shift kinda hard and just doesn't seem right.

I would much rather get a news trans then the stupid oil kit
The recall doesnt give you a new trans, its for the oiljet. IF and only when they inspect it and see discoloration do you get a trans replacement. In all my years here i have only seen it once. Dont get your hopes up. The oiljet isnt a stupid part. It serves a purpose. Its duty though is for a completely different issue than we all suffer from with our trans failures and that is something that isnt something they can inspect and pretty much need symptoms to be replaced (and if you arent within the mileage or age its hard to get covered/replaced and isnt covered under the recall)
Old 09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Team Owner

as said above- the recall install of oil jet kit turns into warranty unit replacement
IF certain heat damage is found with a boroscope camera

IF thats the case, regardless of miles or years, its going to be easier to get approval if in the country of origin

safety recalls dont expire