2000TL with check engine light on, anyone with the same problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000 | 08:06 PM

Post 2000TL with check engine light on, anyone with the same problem?

I have a 3 mth old 2000TL, about 2 weeks ago the check engine light came on for no reason, the car still drive fine.

First trip to the Acura dealer, they scan out the code and it turned out to be the engine is misfiring (code is P0301 and P0302 I think). They reset the computer and the light went away. They second time I start up the car after I got it back, the light came back on.

Second trip to the dealer, after 2 days in the shop, they could not come up with a fix for the problem. Still scanning out the same code, all 6 cyl still missfiring. 2 more days later I got a call telling me that Acura have identified a problem and is manufacturing a new computer. The problem is that the part is not yet being made and I will not get it until NEXT JAN (2001) IN THE BEST CASE.

So now I am driving around with the annoying check engine light on. So does anyone out there have seen the same problem? Same code from the computer?

I am bringing the car to another Acura dealer tomorrow to see if they can do a better job

-Eddy
Old 12-14-2000 | 09:06 PM
Drifting

Man... I have the same problem here!!!

For the first and second time. They reset my computer. Then they changed the computer the third time I visit them. As of today, my car is 6 months old, and the engine check light have poped up 7 times already. I am driving with the light on all da time, now.

You might have the following problems.

1. have trouble starting your car in cold weather. (raining, or winter...etc)

2. After you started the car, the engine might rattle

3. Your TCS might start malfuction as well!

I have tried to deal with Acura, and they did nothing!!! All three dealers in my area are f@cked up!! (sorry for using the F word, but please try to imagine how I feel after I brought a brand new Acura and it turn out to be a POS!!!)

I hope your car won't have those problems, but hey watch out for them... Sorry to bring you the bad news, but this is what happeded to me. Right now, I am looking for a winter car, the MDX seems to be a REALLY GOOD choice for me. But I don't think I will EVER buy an Acura again in my life!!!

Not that I don't like my TL, but just that I got a lemon. Worst of all, there are others who are having the same problems that I have. It pissed me off when I realize that Acura actually make $hity cars.

So, for those who have no bugs with your TL, please enjoy your car. For me, I will try to get rid of it ASAP. But it's a leased car, so... we'll see!
Old 12-14-2000 | 10:04 PM
OG

Hope it is only on the 2000 models.

------------------
Honda-Acura.net TL Forum Moderator.

1999 Silver with factory body kit, spoiler and burlwood instrument cluster and shift knob. Joshua Tree Wood dash kit. Hella air horns. Tint all around. Razo competition pedals. MOMO Sport 18"X7.5" with 225/40ZR Pirelli P7000SS. Weapon-R intake. Comptech springs, exhaust and headers. Inspire Tailights, homemade ram-air and Polarg M-12 front turn signals. Comptech front and rear sway bar. Axxis Metal Master front and rear pads.

My AcuraTL Homepage

NEW: '01 Acura MDX Silver Premium

Front 35% tinted windows. Running boards. Roof rack. Tailgate deflector. Moonroof visor. Rear mud guards. Razo premium white headlight bulbs. Matriz ion yellow fog light bulbs(courtesy of Snook). More to come later......

Acura-MDX.com Forum Moderator

Old 12-15-2000 | 01:08 AM

Unfortunately my car already have all the problems. According to the service person I talked to the TCS problem is caused by the engine misfire. He said since the TCS will try to retard the engine, but if the engine is misfiring in the first place it will turn TCS off. I thought I read somewhere here that the TL's TCS does not retard the engine? The engine rattle is also due to the misfiring engine. As for the difficulty starting I have not seen that yet.

I called the dealer again, looks like they will not get the computer for me until mid Feb 2001. But they cannot guarantee that the new computer will fix the problem. However, they did say it is not the same computer that is in my car right now. SL1200MK4 did they replace your computer with a similar or different one?
Old 12-15-2000 | 02:46 AM
Instructor

It's hard to imagin the computer is casuing the problem.. the only possibility is that you guys got a defected chip.. otherwise this problem should apply to all of us.

AcuraTL:
Hey dude i am driving a 2000TL!!
Old 12-15-2000 | 05:10 AM
Drifting

I think they replaced with the same computer... Well, I am really sorry to hear that!!! I really think that Acura sux, now. Becuase since there's no majoy change between the 2000 and the 2001 model. Either they don't wanna slove our problem by having a recall, or the 2001 model got the same $hity computer and engine...

God, I thought I would love my Acura for a good long while, but now. I would tell everyone I know to not to buy one.
Old 12-15-2000 | 07:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

With talks about the check engine light comming on. this morning while starting up the car, the check engine light blinked for like 5 times then stopped. I dont remember it blinking before, as far as I can remember it just came on for a bit when started then turned off.

Is this what you guys are referring to?

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
Wings West Spoiler
Comptech Exaust
Rear Comptech Sway bar
Old 12-15-2000 | 07:44 AM
Drifting

No, the light will stay on ALL THE TIME!!!

Even if Acura reset the computer, it will pop up again soon after that...

It happened to me 7 times in 6 months. To me, Acura = garbage = POS = lemons.

It doesn't happen to everyone, but it drives you crazy when you pay 41K Canadian $ for a POS that gives you nothing but troubles!!!
Old 12-15-2000 | 09:42 AM
Senior Moderator

No problems here..
Ed

------------------
Acura-TL.com - Forum Moderator

'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails, AEM Brake Pads all around, Comptech Axle Back Exhaust, "Guy Smiley" doll on the dash as my Co-driver...

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 12-15-2000 | 11:29 PM

Y2K_TL: I agree that if the computer is the cause, there will be a lot of people with the same problem. Thats why I posted there to see if there is anyone else with similar problem. As for a defective chip, it does not seem to be the case as SL1200MK4 have his computer replaced and still have the check engine light still on.

What the service person told me is that the fuel rail is getting too hot and the fuel is getting vapourized too early. Not knowing much about engines I don't know if this make sense. Anyway the new computer is suppose to make some changes to pressure or something like that so that the fuel stays liquid.

PhiTL: The engine light came on and stayed on. If the condition that caused it goes away, the light will go away after sometime. Mine came on for the 3rd time this Wed, and this morning (Fri) when I started the car, it is gone.
Old 12-15-2000 | 11:37 PM

Ive had 3 occurrences where the check engine light has come on (and stayed on) and had to take get serviced. On my most recent one, the dude said that hes been having alot of 2000tl misfirings and the next time it happens, i should take in for further inspection.
Old 12-20-2000 | 03:38 PM
Instructor

3months old. The light just came on this weekend. Haven't had it serviced yet.

However I did pay attention to the idle after I started it this morning. I little rummbly rather than smooth. (Not too cold of a morning @ 48 degrees).

I'll have the service guys look at it this weekend.
Old 12-20-2000 | 06:35 PM

Unhappy

ok this sucks. This is the 3rd time my light has gone on. While this board was down, i had my car looked at for this checkengine light and they reset it for me. Then I took a road trip and after stopping for lunch it came back on. Freaking annoying. I took it back 2 days ago and the service dude told me theres really nothing he can do right now, other tls are having this problem and they are taking gas samples? Something about stations using summer gas and its causing some startup probs in this cold winter weather? The techies said theres nothing wrong with my engine and that its just a misfire. I have no idea whats going on with my car, and its getting extremely frustrating taking it back all the time for stupid crap like this. What can i do about this?
Old 12-20-2000 | 09:26 PM
Drifting

Okay, all I can say is that Acura sucks... I don't know about the states, but at least in Canada, they do suck.

I really don't want to say this, but... I guess the only solution at this moment is to sell your TL...

Right now, I don't feel safe driving my TL anymore. Because the TCS doesn't work sometimes, and I also have problem starting my car in cold weather... WTF, this is a brand new car that cost me 40K Canadian dollars...

I thought about getting the MDX for the winter and a vette for the summer... But the Vette have some serious quality issues, and since the MDX is just another Acura, I don't think I will ever consider it... (Thought I think it's the best SUV on the market today, well, so does the TL)

Since my car is leased, it's hard for me to get rid of it at the moment. But I might get the IS300 or BMW 330i to replace the POS unreliable Acura that I have, now...

BTW if I had no problem with my TL, you bet that I will be singing a different tone...
Old 12-20-2000 | 09:31 PM
AC
Drifting

Come to think of it, I use to have problems starting my car up too. I felt like I had to give it a little gas and I noticed this stopped after I got steering wheel installed cuz they unplugged the battery. Hmmmm.

------------------
2000 TL Taffeta White
Factory Body Kit and Spoiler
18' DAZZ MATIZ
Tenzo 700X Fogs
Custom Mesh Grille
Custom Mesh Bumper Center
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
AEM CAI
Greddy CatBack Exhaust
Inspire Tails
Inspire Steering Wheel
Burlwood Knob
Apexi V-AFC
Old 12-21-2000 | 07:11 AM

If you look in the owners manual there is a way to turn off the check engine light. The light comes on at various intervals (like 15,000k) to remind you to get your car serviced.

The dealer is supposed to reset it, but if he doesn't you can turn the key to 1 and press the select and reset mileage buttons together for 3-5 seconds and it will reset. See the manual for more details!
Old 12-21-2000 | 10:01 AM
Burning Brakes

I think some of the ppl here are confusing the Maint Req'd light with Check Engine ????
You can reset the Maint Req'd with the double button combo.

I have a 2000 TL, I think a vin xxx55000 series, and haven't had a problem out of it. My Maint Req'd Light just started flashing but that's cuz it's the 1000 miles before the 7,000 mile oil change. It will blink for 10 seconds for the 1000 miles before, then come on after the 7,000 miles. But my check engine light has never had any probs.

My TCS has been flashing but that's cuz Atlanta is a tad Icy now.. otherwise it's all fine. Hope mine doesn't degrade any.

My seat heaters work, and the lights to the switches. No rattles yet. Cept the sub cover when the music is cranked.

I guess my vin range is a tad more bug free.

------------------
Had 1989 Black CRX Si (Cracker)
Have 1998 Black Currant Accord EX4 Coupe (Watson)
Have 2000 Laguna/Fern TL (Sherlock)
Old 12-21-2000 | 03:55 PM

Yeah, the Acura service dept here SUCKS, they are also putting the blame at the winter gas. But ofcause they don't have an answer for me when I asked them why all TL owners in Oregon don't have the same problem. Also it seems to me that only a few of us have this problem and all are 00 TLs, did we get one from a bad batch?

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the new computer that I'll get in a few weeks will fix the problem. But if it does not what can I do? The car is only 3mtns old and if I sell it I'll probably loose a few thousand $.

By the way, the check engine light came on for the 4th time 2 days ago, then went off again this morning. The current pattern: on -> off in 2 days -> on again 5-7 days -> off in 2 days ...

[This message has been edited by shong (edited December 21, 2000).]
Old 12-21-2000 | 09:25 PM

FYI everyone:

If your check engine light is flashing, get it checked immediately! A flashing check engine light only occurs is there's a problem that could cause immediate and severe engine damage.

I noticed somebody saying that there check engine light flashed a few times and went out. That may just have been some kind of weird glitch, probably nothing to be very worried about, but I'd still have the codes read by a competent technician.

------------------
'01 CL Type-S Navi
'99 M3
Old 12-22-2000 | 12:56 AM
Advanced

I had a similar problem my TL is 8 months old and the check engine light came on while i was driving on the highway I was on my way to Hunter Mountin to go snowboarding and all of a sudden a little civic blows by me and I go after him but after i hit V-Tec my engines cutts off and stops giving fuel to the engine it would'nt let me him V-tec (I have a Apexi V-AFC) until i pulled over shut the car off and turned it on again, after that everything was good except the check engine light, I gave the car to my friend the next day b/c he's a mechanic at a Acura dealer and he said the computer read V-tec failure. Don't know what the problem was maybe a sensor came loose but its running perfect for now and the check engine light did'nt come back yet.
Old 12-22-2000 | 09:58 AM
Racer

Red face

I'm fairly new here and I'm just about to get my 2001TL today. But the dealer dude tells me that a lot of people are having problems with the light coming on. He said to make sure I close the gas cap tightly or I might have the lights coming on. I don't really know if I'm gonna have this problem, but looks like 2001TL would have it too.
Old 06-23-2004 | 01:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

my check engine came on and stayed for about 2 weeks.
then the TCS light would flash occasionally.

dealer replaced the EGR valve.

NO charge!.
problem fixed