1999 TL Transmission is done after 134k

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:55 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 TL Transmission is done after 134k

Yes, the 4spd tranny cannot shift any higher than first gear. Every time I shift it to 2nd gear in sports shift mode the transmission shifts straight to neutral. Even when I shift the tranny to 'D2' on the shift gate and it doesn't engage but goes neutral.

I believe the 2nd gear clutch pack is burned out. I called my local Acura here in Delaware. They said they would replace the tranny for $3500/$4000. Can't remember the exact quote because I honestly don't care.

I'm without a car now. My 99 TL has 134k on it now. Sad to see it go. Jesus...
Old 01-30-2012, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get it rebuilt. Just had my 03' TL-S done 2 weeks go for $2600.00 out the door, with 3 year 36,000 mile warranty. Freshly painted too.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:38 PM
kill you till you die

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
$2600 is high, but the 3 year warranty probably makes it worth it. 134k is decent mileage to get out of a tranny, 99 power!
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No personal experience with them, but check out H&A Transmissions. Their website claims that they are a supplier of re-manufactured transmissions to dealerships, and independent shops. Just another option to look into. Good luck!

http://www.hnatrans.com/
Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM
kill you till you die

No reason to replace good parts with new ones, just a waste of money. A reasonable price for a rebuild should be around $1800. If the rest of the car is good why get rid of it, and why get a remanufactured trans when you can just have the common wear parts replaced?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by yeedatoy
No reason to replace good parts with new ones, just a waste of money. A reasonable price for a rebuild should be around $1800. If the rest of the car is good why get rid of it, and why get a remanufactured trans when you can just have the common wear parts replaced?
The rest of the car is in excellent condition. All that needs to be fixed on it is new drive belts and a new drive belt tensioner. I probably will take it to a tranny shop to get it rebuilt. Taxes just came in and now would be a good time to get it rebuilt.

I cleaned the lock up solenoid today. It solved the 1 to 2 gear shift. But it seems that all the shifts are delayed. I was on the highway today heading to school. I downshifted into 3rd gear to get power and speed and shifted into 4th gear got all of sudden I got a random jolt and downshift into 3rd shift. It did that 4 times to the point I pulled over to the shoulder and shifted into 2nd gear on the gear selector "D2" and drove home.

I'm trying to clean the all the solenoids but I might just get a rebuilt. I don't know yet. Should I go to Aamco or any transmission shop that specializes in trannies?

I want to keep the car though.

Last edited by bruistopher; 01-31-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Racer

$1800 is reasonable for a rebuilt tranny. I rather save money doing that than buying another car. I just changed the timing belt, water pump, and coolant flush a year ago.

I was scared to death when the transmission would randomly downshift into 2nd gear 4 times while on the highway. I was glad no one was behind me. Jesus, I was freaking out.

Tomorrow after work I will put everything back together and call around and get some quotes in regards to a transmission rebuilt. Anything from $1800 isn't bad for this car. I sure as hell wouldn't be paying $3500 for a refurb from Honda or Acura. That is a no no. I would use that for a down payment on a new car.

Is there any recommendations in the Delaware Valley?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 PM
kill you till you die

Originally Posted by jcslao
The rest of the car is in excellent condition. All that needs to be fixed on it is new drive belts and a new drive belt tensioner. I probably will take it to a tranny shop to get it rebuilt. Taxes just came in and now would be a good time to get it rebuilt.

I cleaned the lock up solenoid today. It solved the 1 to 2 gear shift. But it seems that all the shifts are delayed. I was on the highway today heading to school. I downshifted into 3rd gear to get power and speed and shifted into 4th gear got all of sudden I got a random jolt and downshift into 3rd shift. It did that 4 times to the point I pulled over to the shoulder and shifted into 2nd gear on the gear selector "D2" and drove home.

I'm trying to clean the all the solenoids but I might just get a rebuilt. I don't know yet. Should I go to Aamco or any transmission shop that specializes in trannies?

I want to keep the car though.
The best thing you could do is look for an import shop that is familiar with the TL and it's transmission issues and is familiar with rebuilding them. I know that may not be as easy as it sounds depending on where you live but that is what I would aim for first. Was the transmission slipping or did it just crap out? Did you clean the screens or change any fluid? Some people have resurrected the seemingly dead. How does your fluid look/smell?
Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 PM
kill you till you die

never mind, see that you cleaned just the lock up.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by yeedatoy
The best thing you could do is look for an import shop that is familiar with the TL and it's transmission issues and is familiar with rebuilding them. I know that may not be as easy as it sounds depending on where you live but that is what I would aim for first. Was the transmission slipping or did it just crap out? Did you clean the screens or change any fluid? Some people have resurrected the seemingly dead. How does your fluid look/smell?
I know a shop a few blocks away that specializes in Hondas. Not sure if I should let them do transmission work but I will ask them sometime this week or call.

The transmission fluid is pinkish red. I did a drain 3 and fill 3 a couple of weeks ago. I want to clean all the screens and then do an 3x3 transmission flush but I honestly think its pointless if the transmission is about to go. I did put Lucas Transmission in the case. But it was slipping way before I did chose to put Lucas in the tranny. Besides ever since I switched to DW-1 the transmission has been experiencing massive problems. The first symptom was back last year August when I was coming home from New York to Delaware and I was in stop and go traffic. The transmission would downshift harshly when coming from 2nd to 1st. I felt a jolt.

Not sure if DW-1 did anything. But I did add Lucas and that solved it for a few thousand miles but eventually it started giving new symptoms like not shifting into 2nd gear.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Racer

However today it was slightly better. But all the shifts are like 2 second delays. If anything I think it's the solenoid screens clogged up.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:28 PM
kill you till you die

You could always call and test them on some TL transmission trivia and see if they pass! Be sure to ask about a warranty!