1999 TL Navi Files for hard disk units

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 TL Navi Files for hard disk units

I updated the web site with new information about updates to the hard disk based navigation system...

http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/99_acur...avi/index.html

1) problem formatting drives under Windows XP
2) using compact flash
3) a great ebay seller for calluna's
4) hidden menu
Old 01-05-2004, 11:00 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey,

Sorry but I didnt want to read all the 100's of previous posts on this situation....

I do have a 99TL with Navi, what I have read is that we can get the used hard drive disks off Ebay or somewhere and you have all the other "areas" on your computer and we can put them on without paying the 100 bucks at the dealer. Is that the main purpose behind this? Or am i missing something?

Also more important than this is I have had constant problems with my Navi system even loading up. If it is cold outside - 45 degrees or less or if my car has been in the shade it works 95% of the time, but if my car has been sitting in the sun for any length of time it works maybe 10% of the time. I get a "hard disk error" or "incorrect hard disk". I have talked to two dealers and they didnt help any - one tried to update it and that didnt help. When it does come on it works perfectly but that is the problem - it usually doesnt.

Has anyone else had these problems or know of a dealer that actually knows something about the 99's navi???
Thanks for the replies - my email is newman8350@aol.com - I would prefer any replies sent there cause I check it often.

Thanks
Thomas
Old 01-06-2004, 06:45 AM
Instructor

I have one Calluna out of 4 that exhibits similar intermittent failures so I suggest you replace your drive.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi,

So you believe that replacing my drive and getting the new one formatted for my region should fix my problems? Could you tell that the problems with one of your drives was temp. related?
Thanks
Thomas
Old 01-06-2004, 03:41 PM
Instructor

Several different behaviors

fails when you turn on the car

or works normally, then turn off the key and start up it fails with disk error

the disk error is typically your disk is unformated, consult your dealer, but there is another like no hard disk present and perhaps others.

sometimes after this message the unit will reboot itself several times (ie the acura navigation logo pops up) and suddenly starts working

I've also seen where it won't reboot but instead switches between shutdown menu option and the error message every few minutes

I assume based on computer related problems that the drive may not spin up fast enough and the nav unit times out. I've wondered if through the hidden menu, or by editing the config files if there is a configurable timeout period to change. I'll look. Else I plan to just get another, but have just ordered a pcmcia/compact flash card to see how that works compared to a hard disk. Should be faster so I hope recalc time improves.

This same drive functions perfectly in a PC.

You can run the internal diagnostics through the hidden menu to check you nav unit. Otherwise dollars to donuts its a bad drive.