10 years old - low miles - What kind of maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10 years old - low miles - What kind of maintenance

I have an 03 type-s with 85,000 miles of which 20,000 were put on in the past year. I've done the timing belt, spark plugs, scheduled fluid changes, and cleaned the EGR port and intake manifold.

Are there any maintenance items for low mileage cars that I could do as preventative maintenance? Any rubber hoses that are prone to rupture?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
Did you check the rotors? They tend to go bad! Inspect the hoses for visible cracks! How's the transmission? Did you change the trans oil? I know you did said you changed all the fluids but I am just double checking lol
Old 02-12-2013, 04:24 PM
Cruisin'

Forgot about those - yea, I changed the pads/rotors a couple years ago.

And changed the tranny fluid a couple of times now. Still waiting for the day it dies again and this time I'll swap one of the newer Accord trannys in there.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 784 Likes on 743 Posts
Hey Blilrat, it appears as though you are on top of your game. Keeping the tranny fluid is important. Ya did the T-belt preventative service, along with the EGR intake cleaning. New rotors, yeah ! Not a whole lot more.....except maybe the suspension and steering components.

It would've been a good opportunity when replacing the T-belt to have replaced the rad hoses and drive belts. Assuming that everything is still original, keep an eye on these things ! Did ya have the valves adjusted and new NGK plugs installed with the T-belt service ?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I am about in same mileage as OP. However, I found a small strip of rust bubbling through rear wheel arch (ie. Honda cancer). I want to keep it for 4 years or so, but that rust is starting to concern me. Will try to grind away the rust and see what's underneath once warmer, but I am afraid to find out.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Hey Vtec260, the Acuras are not nearly as bad as the Honda's known rust issues on the rear quarters. Where exactly is the rust starting to form ? The dogleg seam in the front of the rear wheelwell is susceptible, but the upper rear is definitely improved over most previous Honda products.

Preventative rustproofing or oil sprayed into these crevasses help. Access by drilling a small hole or pulling either the interior or trunk panels. Once rust starts, it's hard to contain if left go.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Blilrat, it appears as though you are on top of your game. Keeping the tranny fluid is important. Ya did the T-belt preventative service, along with the EGR intake cleaning. New rotors, yeah ! Not a whole lot more.....except maybe the suspension and steering components.

It would've been a good opportunity when replacing the T-belt to have replaced the rad hoses and drive belts. Assuming that everything is still original, keep an eye on these things ! Did ya have the valves adjusted and new NGK plugs installed with the T-belt service ?
The hoses are probably a good idea. They don't look aged, but I'll probably swap them out during the next coolant change/flush.

Yes - NGK Iridium plugs that increased my gas mileage by 2 MPG.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 3.2TLc
Hey Vtec260, the Acuras are not nearly as bad as the Honda's known rust issues on the rear quarters. Where exactly is the rust starting to form ? The dogleg seam in the front of the rear wheelwell is susceptible, but the upper rear is definitely improved over most previous Honda products.

Preventative rustproofing or oil sprayed into these crevasses help. Access by drilling a small hole or pulling either the interior or trunk panels. Once rust starts, it's hard to contain if left go.
I sprayed some underbody goo on the lip a couple of years ago when there were small hints of rust forming. Cleaned all the rust that I could find, put anti-rust spray, let it dry, and put underbody spray after. I guess it didn't work.
Car was originally from Montreal where they use a lot of salt and now after 10 years, salt and freeze/thaw cycle has taken its toll.

Last edited by vtec260; 02-13-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, that's better to be able to see where the rust is at !

It appears to only be surface rust at this point, no actual perforation or bubbling yet.
The rear wheel arches on most any car exposed to winter road salting will eventually be compromised by the rusting process. All cars are susceptable to this !

Preventative measures include trying to keep the undercarriage and wheel well areas flushed clean when practical. When living in this environment, it's a good investment to have a rust-proofing material applied internally within the body panel seams and joints where there are hidden pockets which can trap moisture and brew into corrosion eventually. Usually it first appears at the spot welds and areas that are exposed to chipping of the surface.

At this point, I'd attempt to spray some penetrating anti-corrosive material into the inside area of what you have pics of. Access can be made from within the trunk or the rear of the inner door jamb. That should help control the rust some. On the exterior, with the surface rust.....you had the right idea, but make sure that the seam is sealed on the fender lip's edge between the panels.
The following users liked this post:
vtec260 (02-14-2013)