03 TLS check engine light and both vsa lights.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
03 TLS check engine light and both vsa lights.

Hello my TL has recently lost the trans due to solenoids and torque converter. I bought one from the junk yard with 100k and had a shop put it in. I put a few hundred miles on it before I drove it a long distance. It was doing ok but had hard shifts into 2nd and 3rd and sometimes would t accept 4th and go back to 3. today I drove from Salem Oregon to crater lake Or. It about a 250 mile drive. I was almost there when. I stopped and stretched. When I got back in I put it into gear and the check engine light came on along with both vsa lights. The D5 gear light on the dash was also flashing. When I tried to drive it was in 4th gear so it struggled to go. It would top out at 2500 rpms but I could still do 65 mph to get most of the way before I stopped and shut it off. Then everything went back to normal other than the check engine light.

I did some research on here, they say it's the tps or app sensor. But there limp mode restricted them to 15-20 mph. The tps isn't that much so I will be replacing it along with getting the code scanned. the only symptom I haven't seen on here is the flashing D5 gear light by the gauges. Anything g helps. Will post updates.
Old 11-01-2016, 12:37 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Pull the codes. Replacing parts based on a guess is silly. What kind of tranny did you put in? If it's a junk yard TL tranny, well that's just silly also. I'm hoping it was an AV6...
Old 11-01-2016, 01:22 AM
Intermediate

It was a junk yard TL trans ( av6) but it had 100k on it. I plan on doing the solenoids and torque converter in the near futeure. The code was for clutch pressure valve. I did some research on it as well, many said 90% of the time it is the gear switch sensors. I will be getting the ones off of my old trans and test to see if the work. If there good I will swap them out on this one and see if it solves my problem. I see how it can be silly but I don't have the funds for a 6 speed swap sadly.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Update

I went back to the shop that put the trans in. They said it wasn't them. The code I got is p1750. That shop ( daily driven motorsports) and aamco said that my issue is most likely the valve switch sensors. and less likely but still possible, the solenoids. however daily driven suggested a back flush because there could be a screen or pathway restricted. Since fluid only flows one direction it clean it more sufficiently. But the Acura dealer ship said it would blow the trans if back flushed. I think I'm going to start with the valve switches. I got the old ones off my old trans. Im going to clean them and swap them and see if it effects quality of the trans. Anyone have a link to buy all 4 valve switches? I will provide pictures as soon as I can. Thank you!
Old 11-01-2016, 05:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
OEM Acura TL SEDAN 2003 5AT SENSOR - SOLENOID parts

All the 5AT parts can be found here
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 PM
Intermediate

Av6, 5at?

Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Pull the codes. Replacing parts based on a guess is silly. What kind of tranny did you put in? If it's a junk yard TL tranny, well that's just silly also. I'm hoping it was an AV6...
​​​orginally I was told it was confirmed by Honda of Eugene that it was an av6 when I went to get fluid. But I just recently went to the Acura of Salem and they gave me the same digram as a guy did in this thread for a 5at trans. By the looks of both the diagrams I found they are different. I've also seen av6 swaps done on tl's. Is the av6 better? Thanks
Old 11-07-2016, 11:30 AM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Luci_the_tl
​​​orginally I was told it was confirmed by Honda of Eugene that it was an av6 when I went to get fluid. But I just recently went to the Acura of Salem and they gave me the same digram as a guy did in this thread for a 5at trans. By the looks of both the diagrams I found they are different. I've also seen av6 swaps done on tl's. Is the av6 better? Thanks
Yes 2006-2007 Accord V6 tranny (BAYA) is better. If it's a regular used TL tranny (B7WA) swapping it in is like putting in a grenade with the pin already pulled.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:42 PM
Intermediate

Gotcha

Is there anyway the torque converter would cause hard shifting? Like I said it has a hard shift into 2nd in the morning and it always hangs before shifting into 4th. There is a whine that im positive is coming from the torque converter. Those are literally my only problems. other than that it's a healthy trans. It pulls great. After is shifts into the gears it holds on. No slipping or hesitation. I will be taking all the solenoids off and cleaning g them to send if that will improve shifing quality. If I Hi a dead end with the trans I will most likely be getting a new car.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
Originally Posted by Luci_the_tl
. If I Hi a dead end with the trans I will most likely be getting a new car.

Not a bad idea.