03' TL Type-S in need of new brakes...HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 03' TL Type-S in need of new brakes...HELP!

Just got back from the dealership (Curry Acura) and was shown my current pads which are worn all the way down. They told me to replace the front pads and resurfacing the rotors it would cost $310, and the SAME price for the back pads and resurfacing of the rotors for a grand total of over $600!

Needless to say, I did not make an appointment.

Since I am uneducated on all of this, could someone please share with me some information on what I SHOULD be paying for new brakes?

My car is a 2003 TL Type-S with 46,000 miles...

All help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Old 04-07-2007, 03:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Ok First tell us what you need from your brakes
General easy driving, commute traffic, or escaped mental patient?

The dealer labor rate is always higher than a private shop, brakes are easy to change if you have a few tools and a friend, or use a private owned import repair shop

Hawk HPS pads will make your car stop in all conditions
For rotors look online at parts stores like Kragen or autozone for prices-
NAPA has good cheap ones- buy the American made not the Chinese made

For high performance brake rotors see Off Topic Sponsored Sales area for MrHeelToe and Excellerate for their ads
Old 04-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nevTL
Just got back from the dealership (Curry Acura) and was shown my current pads which are worn all the way down. They told me to replace the front pads and resurfacing the rotors it would cost $310, and the SAME price for the back pads and resurfacing of the rotors for a grand total of over $600!

Needless to say, I did not make an appointment.

Since I am uneducated on all of this, could someone please share with me some information on what I SHOULD be paying for new brakes?

My car is a 2003 TL Type-S with 46,000 miles...

All help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Curry Acura?! Where are you located. I'll show you the cheaper reputable shops that give you the best bang for an afforable price. Mario was quoted less than $300 for all 4 of his break pads, rotors, AND a fluid flush.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got my Powerslot slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads from the Tirerack. Front axle only.

Item(s) Total: $269.00 + Shipping: $19.82 = Order Total: $288.82

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...wer+Slot+Rotor

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...eet+brake+pads

Have not put them on it.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Racer

Just got my Powerslot slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads from the Tirerack. Front axle only.

Item(s) Total: $269.00 + Shipping: $19.82 = Order Total: $288.82

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...wer+Slot+Rotor

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brake...eet+brake+pads

Have not put them on yet.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:43 PM
No He Can't

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I ordered Racingbrake slotted rotors up front, NAPA rotors in the rear, and Hawk HPS pads all around. They got installed yesterday and I can't wait until I get back in town to test them out.

Total for parts $410 parts + $176 labor = $586 to replace all 4 rotors and pads and system flush.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by joe80055
Curry Acura?! Where are you located. I'll show you the cheaper reputable shops that give you the best bang for an afforable price. Mario was quoted less than $300 for all 4 of his break pads, rotors, AND a fluid flush.
Curry Acura is located here in lower westchester county NY. Do you of anywhere nearby that would do all 4 break pads, rotors and a fluid flush for $300 or less? That sounds unbelievable!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Get a set of Rotora rotors and pads from Excelerate. They are good quality.
Old 04-08-2007, 02:47 AM
Banned

Actually Joe, it was $215 you n00b! lol oh and you forgot to mention that it includes replacing the brake lines with the new SS lines. But put it this way. I paid a total of about $400 for pads, rotors, brake lines and brake fluid. Plus another $215 I got quoted to put it on, $615 total. Thats $15 more than what they told you but that is also with high quality parts. You could get a cheaper price depending on what parts you buy. I doubt you will want/need to spend $150 on pads (HAWK HPS) so you could find something good but also affordable. 01tl4tl knows a lot about brakes, trust me you should definitely take his advise on this
Old 04-08-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
I ordered Racingbrake slotted rotors up front, NAPA rotors in the rear, and Hawk HPS pads all around. They got installed yesterday and I can't wait until I get back in town to test them out.

Total for parts $410 parts + $176 labor = $586 to replace all 4 rotors and pads and system flush.
That doesnt sound bad at all. But won't the HAWK pads eat up the NAPA rotors in no time?
Old 04-08-2007, 05:21 AM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by RidinDurty
That doesnt sound bad at all. But won't the HAWK pads eat up the NAPA rotors in no time?
not according to 01tl4tl. this is the set up he recommended to me and I believe is the set up he has on his car. Did you see the pictures of the corners that he takes his car through? I will just be doing city driving (not too hard) so I think they will hold up fine. I'm sure he'll chime in and let us know what's up.
Old 04-08-2007, 08:51 AM
Pun
Intermediate

You know pep boys turns rotors for like 6 bucks each and pads are cheap...you could easily do all your brakes for way less than 100$.

I dont care where you take your car for brakes your getting ripped off...its so easy and takes no time at all and they overcharge you no matter where you go.

Best bet would be to learn how to work on your car...you will literally save yourself thousands and thousands of dollars.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:19 PM
No He Can't

Originally Posted by Pun
You know pep boys turns rotors for like 6 bucks each and pads are cheap...you could easily do all your brakes for way less than 100$.

I dont care where you take your car for brakes your getting ripped off...its so easy and takes no time at all and they overcharge you no matter where you go.

Best bet would be to learn how to work on your car...you will literally save yourself thousands and thousands of dollars.
We are not talking about turning rotors here. The rotors on our TLs suck, so it is not even worth it to resurface them, because they will warp again with the quickness. His rotors are ruined and needs to get new ones.

Little more than $100
Old 04-08-2007, 06:37 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
Yes RD and others
My current set-up is RB/HawkHPS Front and running the the NAPA rotors on the back with Hawk HPS pads.
They do not eat the rotors because the rotors are of quality metal and because they rear pads do have a central vent slot- its not necessary to have side slotted rotors with them.
I am going to upgrade to RacingBrake rotors in the back when I do the brake lines with SS for a little better rotor grip and the black coating ends rusty hubs.
Am currently running Valvoline Synthetic DOT4 fluid with good results on the mountain.

For view of one of my play areas http://thunderhill.com/html/trackmap.html
Take a lap around Thunderhill- at slower speed than any track day (4 minute versus track days are 2.30-3 minute laps on a 3 mile course
You can also get the motorcycles view of the track at speed
Old 04-08-2007, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RidinDurty
Actually Joe, it was $215 you n00b! lol oh and you forgot to mention that it includes replacing the brake lines with the new SS lines. But put it this way. I paid a total of about $400 for pads, rotors, brake lines and brake fluid. Plus another $215 I got quoted to put it on, $615 total. Thats $15 more than what they told you but that is also with high quality parts. You could get a cheaper price depending on what parts you buy. I doubt you will want/need to spend $150 on pads (HAWK HPS) so you could find something good but also affordable. 01tl4tl knows a lot about brakes, trust me you should definitely take his advise on this
FYI, i was talking about a different Mario. lol When I had my pads/rotors done, I was charged only less than $300 for everything. Shop around, I guarantee there being cheaper places. I'm not a big fan of Curry Acura, I've been there before once... never again. I'll call up a few friends and look around for you
Old 04-08-2007, 07:06 PM
I Blaze Up In

$600 for OEM pads and cutting your rotors is BULLSHIT!!! Acura charges SOOOO much money for nothing. Just do what i did for $600 i got brand new R1 Concepts Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors and EBC RedStuff pads just install them yourself it's really easy it only takes about 45 minutes if you know what your doing. Or for a cheaper more OEM style i would reccomend just buying replacement OEM rotors or BREMBO replacement OEM style rotors from online you could gert all four for about $200 and get EBC GreenStuff pads for about $350
Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Instructor

FYI, i was talking about a different Mario. lol When I had my pads/rotors done, I was charged only less than $300 for everything. Shop around, I guarantee there being cheaper places. I'm not a big fan of Curry Acura, I've been there before once... never again. I'll call up a few friends and look around for you
I was less than impressed with Curry Acura's service. The service manager walked in with my pads and as bad as they were, was basically telling me I need to make an appointment with him.

After he told me the price, and I declined he acted like I was being stupid and acted like a real dick afterwards. I just knew $600 for OEM pads and resurfacing the rotors was ridiculous.

Thanks alot for all your help and send me a PM or reply in this thread if you have anymore info!.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Pun
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KSuchdeve
We are not talking about turning rotors here. The rotors on our TLs suck, so it is not even worth it to resurface them, because they will warp again with the quickness. His rotors are ruined and needs to get new ones.

Little more than $100
oh well i dont drive like a jackass so my rotors are fine for now. and I was also just speaking in general im sure others have different cars than a TL here. its not worth it to go buy new rotors for every car each time you change your brakes.