03 TL smashed, need advice....

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 08:37 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 TL smashed, need advice....

On December 23rd while stopping by a store, some woman crossed the center line and hit me almost head on. Luckily it was a low speed crash and the only thing hurt was my feelings....
Anyway, she readily admitted to being at fault (duh!) to me and the police numerous times, saying she wasn't paying attention. She wasn't ticketed because it happened on the service road to the store and not on public roadway but it was noted on the accident report that she caused the accident by not looking where she was going.
So far the damage is pegged at $5500.00 but I'm told by the body shop it will probably be more. GIECO (her insurance) has provided a rental for me and already sent me a check for $5500.00.
I'm just so bummed. I've dreamed of owning a TL for a number of years and finally after working my TAIL off was able to afford a beautiful black on black 03 with low mileage (33000, still under factory warranty till march 07). This car is my pride and joy! So now I've got many concerns. The repair shop doing the work is one recommended by the Acura dealership and I've heard great things about them. My concern is what about unseen damage, how do I account for that. It's already suffered collateral damage by having the rear bumper cover scraped sometime after being towed! No one so far knows how that happened. Now I'm thinking about diminished value. I'm in Raleigh NC and understand NC has some kind of law that states I can recoup this cost. Have no idea how or what to do to go about this claim.
I'm just a middle class blue collar working stiff that doesn't want to get burned.
I've been really stressing out over this and I know how accidents and dealing with insurance companies usually turn out. They just want to fix the car as cheaply as possible and don't give a crap about me. I just want my baby returned to me in the same condition she was before all this.
I know this post is long but is there anyone out there that can provide some advice? Whats the best way to deal with GIECO? And what about diminished claims? Can someone help? Thanks in advance. Kevin
Old 01-15-2007, 08:50 AM
極品インスパイア32V

Sorry to hear that...hopefully everything can be fixed
I do not know much about that but some people around here can throw you some ideas...GOOD LUCK bro
Photos will help...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:14 AM
TL = Tranny Lubrication

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident... Shit happens. Remember it's only a car - I nailed a deer and it cost $7700 to repair, I never thought about the diminished claims

As you said you were not at fault in the accident, the at-fault party (or their insurance company) owes you money. Don't let the insurance company tell you. Ask The Experts at Collision Claim Associates, Inc. They or a similar company can provide you with the documentation you need to get the compensation you're entitled to.

Visit: http://www.collisionclaims.com/ for additional information...

Good Luck...
Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 AM
TLingggggggg

Worst comes to worst try another car shop just because its recommended by Acura doesnt mean its like top notch but that is my opinion. A buddy of mine went to fix his BMW passenger door from like some mid size scratches and installation of his tail lights at a BMW recommended place and it took them 3 weeks and the job was fine and nothing special.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:15 AM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
If you didn't sign the final paper when you received the check, then there is still negotiation for adjustment on the cost of repair. If you did then that is it. How did you come up with that repair cost? If Geico did the estimate and sent you the check then it is not final yet.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:27 PM
10th Gear

GIECO did the estimate (at the body shop w/one of their employees) and sent the check to me. They said if there's any additional cost then they'll pay the body shop directly. I haven't signed anything at all. I told GIECO that I wanted OEM parts and was told they will spec out parts just as good but not OEM when something other than OEM is available. The body shop told me that they use nothing but OEM and will work it out to where thats what they will use. They were pretty busy but spent about 45 minutes with me going over what they need to do to complete the repairs. I've really been stressin out over this and talking with them (the body shop) made me relax a bit.
Like I said I've loved TL's for the longest time and finally was able to get one. I previously owned a 91 Integra for over 10 years and put 245,000 miles on it with hardly a problem. I was so impressed with the build quality and relibility that when I first saw the 2nd gen TL years ago, I fell in love with it (yeah, I'm a car freak) and dreamed about owning one. Then after finally getting one, two months later this happens. Man what a bummer.
Anyway, I heard about the diminished value thing and I know this accident will have an effect on it, even when it's restored as new. While looking around for one I came across one just like I wanted. It was beautiful. Then the carfax report turned up that it was in an accident. Right then I turned away from it and kept looking. So I know it has an effect. A month and a half later I found the one I bought. It qualified for the Acura certification for a used car, now I don't know if it would still qualify which I think would lessen the value of my car if I wanted to sell it.
Anyway, sorry this is long again. It's been really buggin me so I really appreciate any info anyone can give. It screwed up my holidays and now almost 4 weeks later it still hasn't made it into the shop because of a backlog of work. Told it should go in this week. Tried to post a pic of the damage but can't figure how to attach to this post. Thanks again so much, Kevin
Old 01-15-2007, 09:13 PM
bringin lead

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Diminished value is typically calculated by an insurance company as a percent of the total repair bill. Not knowing what percent they use or what percent is appropriate - IT IS ALL NEGOTIATION. Don't sign a damn thing until the car is fixed properly and to your satisfaction. The insurance company will drag it out and wear you down. Be stronger than them and it will work out in your favor. At some point, they will threaten to take the rental car also - don't sign anything or give the car until your car is repaired to your satisfaction. Pain? Medical bills? Identify them before you sign anything also. Bottom line - sign the letter completing the claim and that it - COMPLETED!

Good luck!
Old 01-15-2007, 09:43 PM
Advanced

and I would not cash the check either!