03 Accord V6 vs 02 Acura TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 12:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SatinSilverAV6

I am boasting about my victory because I am happy that I beat a car that is supposed to be better than mine. I was not talking about the new TL since that is not the car I beat(It also does not exist yet). I do expect the new acura to beat me since it will have more power. Until then you will have to live with me giving your TL-S a bashing!
How dare you? The folks here made a legitimate discussion on a hot-button issue that would normally have led to flames. Indeed, if you did not post this response, it would have stayed that way. You posted a topic that you thought would draw flames, but it didn't. Are you so desperate for conflict that you need to come on an internet message board to do it? If you want to be treated like a child, that can be arranged. I should like to put you over my knee and give you a spanking. If you're too big for that, then shame on you, you should know better than this.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:04 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
ROFL PeterUbers...
Wow...I was struggling for tact after reading AV6 but your post has ended any reason to further respond...
Old 01-20-2003, 11:48 PM
Advanced

Hi all..... now lets be realistic here. I have beaten all up on my friends AV6 03 and its not even a thing to brag about cause after all its an accord. I believe he raced a tl-p and besides i might just might believe an accord beating a tls by a half of a car or a car length but 3 cars length... i mean come on lets be real. The accord better stick to their there rivals Nissan Altima Overall the accord is a nice car, but the TL S is even a better looking car and its hell alot faster than the accord ... trust me fellas
Old 01-21-2003, 11:25 AM
Racer

Stop talking and start racing! You New Jersey guys set up a CL/TL vs. Accord 2/4 dr meet!
Old 01-21-2003, 12:40 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 03 Accord V6 vs 02 Acura TL-S

Last night I was making a trip to Krispy Kreme and I see a set of HID's behind me. This guy in a 02 TL-S is catching up to me very fast to catch this red light.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not questioning your kill...but I'm just curious on HOW you were able to identify that the car you were racing was a Type-S?

Granted if you said that the pair of HID behind you had fogs underneath, then at least we would know its a 2002-3 TL...if you added by saying it DID NOT have an onstar antenna, then we narrowed it down again to a 2002 like you said. But how were you able to tell it was a type-S if you never saw the rear trunk? Were you able to see the headrests inside their car? Were you able to tell the difference in the wheels? I know it's completely possible...but most novices (those that don't drive TLs) wouldn't normally be able to identify the difference between a premium vs a type-s without looking for the emblems first.

Once you debadge the trunk and change out the rims, a type-S can be a real sleeper. Personally when people see my car...other than the headrests giving me away, you wouldnt be able to tell if I'm a type-S or not.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Three Wheelin'

Good point edgalang. Course, he could just lie and say he saw the headrests .
Old 01-23-2003, 12:41 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Re: 03 Accord V6 vs 02 Acura TL-S

Originally posted by edgalang

Don't get me wrong...I'm not questioning your kill...but I'm just curious on HOW you were able to identify that the car you were racing was a Type-S?

Granted if you said that the pair of HID behind you had fogs underneath, then at least we would know its a 2002-3 TL...if you added by saying it DID NOT have an onstar antenna, then we narrowed it down again to a 2002 like you said. But how were you able to tell it was a type-S if you never saw the rear trunk? Were you able to see the headrests inside their car? Were you able to tell the difference in the wheels? I know it's completely possible...but most novices (those that don't drive TLs) wouldn't normally be able to identify the difference between a premium vs a type-s without looking for the emblems first.

Once you debadge the trunk and change out the rims, a type-S can be a real sleeper. Personally when people see my car...other than the headrests giving me away, you wouldnt be able to tell if I'm a type-S or not.
The guy said, "I have never raced a new accord yet in my "Type-S" plus the wheels were the 17" TL-S wheels. I almost bought one before I bought my accord. This TL-S was satin silver just like my car.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:45 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally posted by fortunate

How dare you? The folks here made a legitimate discussion on a hot-button issue that would normally have led to flames. Indeed, if you did not post this response, it would have stayed that way. You posted a topic that you thought would draw flames, but it didn't. Are you so desperate for conflict that you need to come on an internet message board to do it? If you want to be treated like a child, that can be arranged. I should like to put you over my knee and give you a spanking. If you're too big for that, then shame on you, you should know better than this.
Who are you? No need to :argue:. You caused the conflict. I just posted my race. I am not here to fight. Just some people doubt me and I am trying to give them an explanation. You are taking out of your arse.
Old 01-23-2003, 12:53 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Originally posted by 2fasttls
Hi all..... now lets be realistic here. I have beaten all up on my friends AV6 03 and its not even a thing to brag about cause after all its an accord. I believe he raced a tl-p and besides i might just might believe an accord beating a tls by a half of a car or a car length but 3 cars length... i mean come on lets be real. The accord better stick to their there rivals Nissan Altima Overall the accord is a nice car, but the TL S is even a better looking car and its hell alot faster than the accord ... trust me fellas
Now you have your opinion but I am going to show you some facts.

TL-S has 260HP and 232TQ and weighs in at a hefty 3500lbs

Accord Coupe has 240HP and 212TQ and weighs in at 3265lbs.

That is only 20HP and 20TQ advantage for TL-S
The Accord maintains a 235lbs advantage.

Now I use Premium Fuel (Good for 10HP and 10TQ according to USA Today and Honda) Plus my Injen CAI which according to Injen gives me 15whp and 11wtq. So if you add these numbers on to my accord (240Hp+10hp+15hp=265HP)
and for torque....(212tq+10tq+11tq=233TQ)

That is a 5Hp and 1Tq advantage plus the accord is 235lbs lighter. Now you see why 3 car lenghts is not out of the question.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Racer

Now you have your opinion but I am going to show you some facts.
slow down cowboy...i think:

1. your numers are a bit optimistic

2. you are looking at crank numers, not power figures at the wheels

3. you are neglecting to take into account, tire/wheel weight, aerodynakics, gearing, adn actualy and actual weight (with cargo and fluids)

Either way, looking at the numers alone is a dangerous and overly complicated way to compare cars. BTW, mods don't always give you power in the same places, so you just can't add the suggested power each manufacture claims. Ie. 5 hp for mod A and 7 hp for mod B don't necessarily = 12hp from mods A + B What happens is they both affect the tq curve of the car and will probably add and possibily subtract power from diffreent parts of the curve. Some mods don't even affect peak hp much, they will add power earlier in the RPM range. So it a mod might add 7 hp around 4800 RPM, so your peak hp is unchanged. Lower RPM mods are good because they are effective in more everyday situations.

With all that said, I have no doubt you are on the some playing field as a TLS and can beat them. The new accord is a sweet machine. I'm glad you are out there driving it hard and having fun. most accords won't have such glorious lives. Just don't be fooled into thinking a few 5 hp mods are going to make you're car 300 hp.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:15 AM
Instructor

Now I use Premium Fuel (Good for 10HP and 10TQ according to USA Today and Honda)
Please post official information about this in the form of either a dyno plot or an official statement from honda about this.

bottom line is you won this ONE race...good for you. This is indicactive that your ONE car beat ONE tl-s during that ONE situation where you had mods and the other guy had more passengers.

Sure, maybe your accord can beat some tl-s's on certain days of the week depending on who you come upon and the situation.

if it was easy to just "virtual-race" (magazine race) like throwing together numbers like you did for an outcome, then there would be no autosport industry.

But all being equal, meaning stock cars, both automatic, no passengers, i'd bet my ass on the tl-s anyday.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Not to stir the pot but on another Acura board, I just read a kill story that was the other way around. He beat the Accord v6 twice in an 03 TLs.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to let SatinSilverAV6 have his day in the sun on this one. The bottom line usually ends up on how much each driver is willing to "play". I for one have given many people the run for their money, but once they cross the line of overly aggressive driving, then that's the time I choose to let it go. If he says he won then leave it at that. I'm sure there are many civics out there that claimed to have killed me, but sometimes not all of us are in the mood to "gamble" so to speak. Besides...we are talking about 7th gen AV6s here. With the right setup, I think it's very possible. (except I have to call the BS flag on the higher octane theory)
Old 01-23-2003, 04:18 PM
Intermediate

PBS.org "motorweek"

2003 Honda Accord

Engine 3.0 liter, single-cam, 24-valve VTEC V-6

Horsepower 240

Torque 212 lb feet

0-60 mph 8.0 seconds

1/4 mile 16.3 seconds @ 89 mph

60-0 mph 133 feet

Motortrend Mag best time for an Automatic Accord EX V6 Sedan
6.6 1/4 15.0 0-60 Sept 2002. Curb weight listed is 3360. This performance number has not been seen in any other mag.
By the way, honda.com list the automatic COUPE at 3294 and 3265 for the manual tranny. I don't think 6sp are officially out yet

Road and track on their newest artilce of "family" sedans comparison, they clocked 0-60 in 7.3. and 1/4mile mid 15's.

Edmunds.com review on the sedan AUto that weighed 3,309
Performance:
0 - 30 (sec): 2.9
0 - 45 (sec): 4.6
0 - 60 (sec): 7.0
0 - 75 (sec): 10.2
1/4 Mile (sec @ mph): 15.42 @ 92.9
30 - 0 (ft): 32.2
60 - 0 (ft): 130.48

anyway.....my point is, Your Accord Coupe or Sedan Automatic with is quick by family sedan standards. However with the TL-S weight disavantage in stock form plus 4 passangers, would be the big difference since you had 2 people in your car. Those 2 extra bodies can mean well over 350 to 400 lbs is they are men and 275 to 350lbs if they were women.

So next time you find a TL-S with 2 passangers and your car is full with 4 passangers give it a Go! Hopefully your premium fuel and CAI that give 15hp!! can propell you past the TL-S.

No offense SatinSilver, just stating facts.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Can someone post the '03's dynoplot next to the TypeS's plot and teach Satin about the difference b/w peak hp versus torque curves?

Satin, go run your car at the track, please. Come back, post the results. I ran my Tl-S at the track before I starting commenting any its performance. I didn't believe the mag numbers until I ran them myself.

If the Accord really does put out 250hp/222lbft .. w/ premium... then why the hell doesnt' honda market it w/ those numbers and have a little disclaimer at the bottom of every ad that indicates the numbers were achieved w/ premium fuel?? That's about how the rest of the auto industry chooses to do it, so why would Honda, the third or fourth biggest car company in the world, choose to do it back-asswards?

You also do realize Satin, that the TypeS is equipped w/ a better suspension, a more aggressive stance, bigger rims, tires.. etc. There are plenty of reasons OTHER than STRAIGHT-LINE performance to purchase a car. You obviously weren't considering anything other than what would make you look good in front of your significant other when you mop up some Altimas on the highway.
Peace
Old 07-07-2003, 01:40 PM
Advanced

the new accord suuuuucks...i was thinking about buying that over a new 03 TLS. After the first test drive in the 03 v6 accord coupe i was seriously disappointed. The interior was a huge improvement over the previous generation. Horsepower was a good improvement but performance wise just didn't match up to the Acura TLS. First of all the ride in the accord coupe is bumpy as hell and not to mention the weak acceleration when I floored it. Engine sound was supressed as well. In the TLS when i floored it it just took off with a good feeling of power. Accords suck. If u do own one why bother trying to soup it up? you're just gonna be called a ricer.
Old 07-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Racer

If the Accord really does put out 250hp/222lbft .. w/ premium... then why the hell doesnt' honda market it w/ those numbers and have a little disclaimer at the bottom of every ad that indicates the numbers were achieved w/ premium fuel?? That's about how the rest of the auto industry chooses to do it, so why would Honda, the third or fourth biggest car company in the world, choose to do it back-asswards?
a few reasons....it wouldn't make the TL look worth the $$ if the accord was cheaper and as fast.

Also, a lot of manufactureres advertise low power ratings on purpose for legal reasons. I forget why, but I've heard this arguement.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I happen to own both an Accord and a TLS.

The Accord is an EX-V6 Navi

And my TL is a Type-S Navi also from 03.

The TLS is faster, has xenon headlights, heated mirrors and memory seats, aside from that, I take the Accord in two seconds.

The interior is nicer and the navigation system and stereo are much better in the Accord and no matter how you shake it, you can get the Accord for $5k less.

IMHO, if the Accord is any indicator of how nice the new TL will be inside and the technology that will be available, I will be in line on day one to get it!
Old 07-07-2003, 03:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I raced an accord V6 when I had around 2000km on the car (not broken in yet) and freakin smoked him. I had 3 guys in the car also, and he had just himself. I pretty much embarassed him...since my engine broke in, I have yet to lose a race against anyone.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:29 PM
Racer

Originally posted by y2ks2k
Indeed, the new accord is faster.
I had a new Accord coupe beat me. Granted I didn't have the VSA turned off, did not use the shifter and had only about 400 miles on my car; he beat me by only 1/2 a car length. Racing distance was about 100 yards. However, a win is a win.

They're pretty quick and can give a TL-S a good run for the money IMO.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:22 PM
Instructor

i would like to see a dyno sheet plz all this power gains are retarded i learn never believe that manufactors claimed they put how much horsepower...come on 15 Hp on a CAI....i would like to see a dyno sheet
Old 07-07-2003, 05:30 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by juniorbean
The new accord is putting down the same, if not more HP at the wheel.... so why would it be such a surprise that it can beat us stock for stock?

Once the new TL comes out, we'll be back ahead.... there's almost always some overlap between divisions with new models like this.

i forgot where on the net, but i saw an official dyno of the accord v6, 6-speed; and cls-6, and the accord was (if i remember correctly) dead even with the cls-6 in terms of horses, but the cls-6 had a bit more torque. The accord is lighter than our tl/cl's, so it doesn't surprise me.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Drifting

I think a lot of the posters on this forum are getting big heads about their cars. The TL/CL-S are quick cars, but they don't seem to be the supercars some of you make them out to be. Also, don't try to put down other cars unnecessarily just to keep your car in the limelight.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Wow

Damn you Acura guys are vicious, and you don’t mess around! Like wolves going in for the kill on a deer with a broken leg :lol:

But then again I can see why this would bring on flames, but I figured since the Accord his technically family to you guys you wouldn’t jump all over him. But I guess not.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:01 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by zigzagzig
I think a lot of the posters on this forum are getting big heads about their cars. The TL/CL-S are quick cars, but they don't seem to be the supercars some of you make them out to be. Also, don't try to put down other cars unnecessarily just to keep your car in the limelight.
Instead of being a troll, try reading some of the posts on this thread. Nobody on this thread is boasting about their car. The only person boasting is SatinJoke, as someone already pointed out. He thinks his story is worthy of posting because he has just raced and won against a "car that is supposed to be better" than his. Try driving an Accord and then a TLS (yea, the one that's basically a 4 or 5 year old design now), and the TLS still comes out on top overall. Bottom line is the Accord is for people who either cannot afford the TLS or doesn't like the way it looks. Remember kid, many of us have been enjoying for over two years what you have just found a little taste of in your 2003 Accord. I end my post by quoting something that I found too funny not to repost:
----------------------------------------------------------
"List of other "better" cars SatinJoke can beat w/ his Accord that STILL won't make his penis bigger :

Mercedes E320
Audi 3.0Quattro
BMW 530i Auto
Infiniti I30
Lexus ES300
Lexus GS300
Lexus IS300

and so on an so forth.... "
Old 07-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

By the way where is JaDia4 he's always big on coming down on people he thinks are tooting there own horn and gloating they beat and Acura!

Where is he on this post

No where to be found
Old 07-07-2003, 08:03 PM
Dr. TLS

Re: Wow

Originally posted by GalantT3
Damn you Acura guys are vicious, and you don’t mess around! Like wolves going in for the kill on a deer with a broken leg :lol:

But then again I can see why this would bring on flames, but I figured since the Accord his technically family to you guys you wouldn’t jump all over him. But I guess not.
What family? Cars are cars.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Burning Brakes

hahahahhaha

Gangster!!
Old 07-07-2003, 08:40 PM
Banned

injen cai will add 5-6hp maximum (although i like the fart sound), for more power buy powered by honda stickers, 2-3hp for each one easily. thats 10*2-3=20-30 hp yeah baby.
Old 07-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Instructor

lolz...crazy numbers that guyz putting out
Old 07-07-2003, 10:59 PM
Advanced

I test drove 2 different Accord V6's before I purchased my TL-S.
I have since raced 2 of them up to about 75mph and beaten both by at least 1.5 car lengths.
I have smacked 3 them in my Mustang by closer to 3 car lengths which, truthfully, surprised the heck out of me...
Old 07-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Race Director

First of all, what accord was it a Sedan or Coupe?

Also was it a 6 Speed?
Old 07-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by vandy786
Instead of being a troll, try reading some of the posts on this thread. Nobody on this thread is boasting about their car. The only person boasting is SatinJoke, as someone already pointed out. He thinks his story is worthy of posting because he has just raced and won against a "car that is supposed to be better" than his. Try driving an Accord and then a TLS (yea, the one that's basically a 4 or 5 year old design now), and the TLS still comes out on top overall. Bottom line is the Accord is for people who either cannot afford the TLS or doesn't like the way it looks. Remember kid, many of us have been enjoying for over two years what you have just found a little taste of in your 2003 Accord. I end my post by quoting something that I found too funny not to repost:
"List of other "better" cars SatinJoke can beat w/ his Accord that STILL won't make his penis bigger :

Mercedes E320
Audi 3.0Quattro
BMW 530i Auto
Infiniti I30
Lexus ES300
Lexus GS300
Lexus IS300

blah, blah, blah. i was referring to people that beat down other cars for no particular reason. such as the one guy who said "the tl is superior, the accord sucks ass, this and that blah blah blah." he has no basis for this statement, just his own pride for his car. I understand that everybody loves their own car, but don't beat down on other cars unnecessarily without basis. Also, what exactly is a troll? I sit under bridges? haha
Old 07-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by zigzagzig
Also, what exactly is a troll? I sit under bridges? haha

Since you already know what a troll is, why ask again? The TLS is indeed superior to the Accord. Although there is somewhat of an overlap right now because of redesigning transitions, drive a TLS if a dealer lets you and you'll see why. The Accord is a very nice Honda but its just an Accord. It's like owning a Maxima. My friend has a 2003 SE but he complains all the time that everyone else has one too. In fact, there are Maximas with leather and without leather. Some have sunroofs while others don't. Some cost more than $7000 than others. Even though they all share the same engine and are as fast as each other, there is a difference. Don't be jealous. Be happy with what you can afford.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Mercedes E320
Audi 3.0Quattro
BMW 530i Auto
Infiniti I30
Lexus ES300
Lexus GS300
Lexus IS300

Ha, Ha!!!!!!! That was a good one!
Old 07-08-2003, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Since you already know what a troll is, why ask again? The TLS is indeed superior to the Accord. Although there is somewhat of an overlap right now because of redesigning transitions, drive a TLS if a dealer lets you and you'll see why. The Accord is a very nice Honda but its just an Accord. It's like owning a Maxima. My friend has a 2003 SE but he complains all the time that everyone else has one too. In fact, there are Maximas with leather and without leather. Some have sunroofs while others don't. Some cost more than $7000 than others. Even though they all share the same engine and are as fast as each other, there is a difference. Don't be jealous. Be happy with what you can afford.

repeat of what you said earlier. good one.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:12 PM
Dr. TLS

Yea, often idiots tend to overlook posts so I made sure you saw it this time.
Old 07-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Instructor

Unless you are on a drag strip or an open highway, street racing is about which car has the better (crazier?) driver, not how powerful the car is. Any piece of crap can hit 120 mph+ nowadays on the highway. Styling is what is important to me because 99.9% of the time I am driving less than 100 mph and I want to look good doing it. I have yet to read a review that actually liked the new Accord styling (although the Coupe is 10x better than the sedan). That is why I choose the 2003 TL Type S over the 2004 Accord EX V6.
Old 07-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

The exhaust on the V6 coupe looks great!
Old 07-08-2003, 06:55 PM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by EmuMessenger
The exhaust on the V6 coupe looks great!
I like the red v6 emblem and the rear tail lights. Hmm.... even the front looks great...

Quick Reply: 03 Accord V6 vs 02 Acura TL-S