'02 TL-S vs '00 Audi S4 vs '98 BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 11:10 PM

Exclamation '02 TL-S vs '00 Audi S4 vs '98 BMW M3

I have a bit of a dilemma I was hoping you folks can help me with . . .

I currently own a '98 Integra TypeR (Love this car!). But since I got married I have to get a more "practical" car. I don't want to loose any of the performance I get from my little rice cooker but since I have to go for a more practical 4 door car I narrowed my choices down to 3 cars: 2002 Acura 3.2TL TypeS w/NAV, 2000 Audi S4 and 1998 BMW M3. As you can tell by my selections these are all performance cars within the same price range (with insurance of course the Audi and BMW are more).

My main focus is performance and comfort. I love the way the interior of the TLS looks and feels, I'm also a strong believer of Acura performance and service. Then I drove an M3, the car was lighter and handled nice and tight. The only problem was during a snow the car didn't do so well (the torque had the car spinning all over the place) and it is an older car. Enter the Audi S4, AWD gave it a clear advantage in the snow but what concerned me was it had less horsepower (250HP vs. TLS @ 260HP . . . M3 240 HP) than the TLS and weighed a bit more. To it's advantage it did have more torque.

I am now at the crossroads of my decision and lean heavily toward the TLS and S4. I haven't driven the TLS in "slippery" conditions such as snow or "new" rain, so I was hoping you guys could help shed some insight and give your opinions on this whole thing.

Thanks,
TypeR Flip
Old 06-06-2001, 11:15 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

Assuming that nasty weather drivability is important for you:

If you don't need the space and long-term reliability is not a concern: Audi S4 all the way.

If you need the space, then TL-s without question.

------------------
2000 Naples Gold 3.2TL/Navi - Factory Stock but with up-graded tires
Old 06-06-2001, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
S4 with a performance chip. You'll say bye-bye to most cars on the road.
Old 06-06-2001, 11:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by NSXNEXT:
S4 with a performance chip. You'll say bye-bye to most cars on the road.
Yeah, and say hello!! to the Audi Service Department, judging by many others' experiences, you'll be spending lots of time there. I agree w/ Hunter 'bout the long-term reliability.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I had the same cars on my list plus the Saab Viggen. The s4 is by far the best car if size isn't an issue. We have owned 2 audis 2001 1.8 and 1998 2.8. Audi service is great and for 4 years they pay for EVERYTHING-brake bads,wipers, fluids you name it. With the M3 be prepared to buy a lot of tires and if you live anywhere that gets snow park it.I went with the TL type S because of the reliability and size(and I didn't want another Audi). I'm in the market now for a 1986 or 87 911 for the weekends. You can get a super deal on a year old Viggen.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would def go with the S4 if you don't need that much interior space. another consideration you haven't mentioned yet is the Volvo S60 T5. I believe it has 247hp and is pretty fast and it has lots of room in it. its a pretty good alternative to the 3 you have picked...

------------------
2002 TL Type-S
Satin Silver, Ebony Interior w/out nav
Old 06-16-2001, 11:43 PM
Pro

Thumbs down

I hate to disagree, but the Volvo S60 does NOT have a lot of room in it. The front seats are cramped and the back seat, well, it is only good for small kids and small pets. Good handling car, though.

------------------
'02 TL-S WDP/Parchment NAV
Old 06-17-2001, 01:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

id say the S4. american built hondas have pretty bad build quality
Old 06-17-2001, 01:35 PM
Advanced

The S60 looks like a good sized car, but the rear seat room is about as bad as an IS300... it is REALLY bad. Also, the torque steer is the worst I've experienced to date. I was really disappointed when I drove it. I like the looks... but that's about all it has going for it I'm afraid.
Old 06-17-2001, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
What's your basis for saying that American-built Hondas have pretty bad build quality? Just curious, 'cause mine hasn't been in the shop for ANYTHING except scheduled service in over three years.

------------------
Why doesn't everybody make cars as well as Acura?
Old 06-17-2001, 08:42 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by Iceman:
What's your basis for saying that American-built Hondas have pretty bad build quality? Just curious, 'cause mine hasn't been in the shop for ANYTHING except scheduled service in over three years.

I used to own a 97 Accord LXV6 (Japanese made), a very nice car! I test-drove a 2000 Accord EXV6 last year and I must say that I was sorely dissapointed in the decline in overall quality, at least in the interior. Not only was the interior not as ergonomically designed, the plastics used were also much cheaper-looking than the 97's. The fabrics on the LX's were also of poorer quality than the 97's. Overall fit seemed a little looser.

Anyway, there's a definite difference between the Jap-made and Ohio-made Hondas. If not in design quality, then certainly in materials.
Old 06-18-2001, 09:07 AM
Pro

Talking

Originally posted by TypeR_Flip:
I have a bit of a dilemma I was hoping you folks can help me with . . .

I currently own a '98 Integra TypeR (Love this car!). But since I got married I have to get a more "practical" car. I don't want to loose any of the performance I get from my little rice cooker but since I have to go for a more practical 4 door car I narrowed my choices down to 3 cars: 2002 Acura 3.2TL TypeS w/NAV, 2000 Audi S4 and 1998 BMW M3. As you can tell by my selections these are all performance cars within the same price range (with insurance of course the Audi and BMW are more).

My main focus is performance and comfort. I love the way the interior of the TLS looks and feels, I'm also a strong believer of Acura performance and service. Then I drove an M3, the car was lighter and handled nice and tight. The only problem was during a snow the car didn't do so well (the torque had the car spinning all over the place) and it is an older car. Enter the Audi S4, AWD gave it a clear advantage in the snow but what concerned me was it had less horsepower (250HP vs. TLS @ 260HP . . . M3 240 HP) than the TLS and weighed a bit more. To it's advantage it did have more torque.

I am now at the crossroads of my decision and lean heavily toward the TLS and S4. I haven't driven the TLS in "slippery" conditions such as snow or "new" rain, so I was hoping you guys could help shed some insight and give your opinions on this whole thing.

Thanks,
TypeR Flip
I'd keep the type R.
Before you make any car decision you need to list what you need/want from the car. Since your car is pretty new, and you probably don't have children yet, and you like performance, you may surprise yourself to see that you can make do with your Type R for a few more years.
If you do decide you need another car, do you really want to buy a used performance car?? When I was looking for used M3's they all had signs of being abused. I wouldn't trust 30K on a used car. If you can spare 45K on a new S4, that's great, but your not getting that much more practicality than your type R. Or you can do like I did, wait till your sports car gets old, then buy a tl typeS (or whatever is out at the time) in addition, and have the best of both worlds.

------------------
- Nick
2002 Type S (Satin Silver)
1990 Eagle Talon tsi awd (barely stock)
Old 06-18-2001, 09:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 91 Posts
Anyway, there's a definite difference between the Jap-made and Ohio-made Hondas. If not in design quality, then certainly in materials.
I have to disagree. I had a '97 Integra GS-R (built in Japan) and still have a '98 CL (American-made). Fit/finish, materials quality, everything across the board is excellent in both cars.

We've got two people with differing opinions here! (I know, shock of shocks...) Who else cares to chime in and let their voice be heard?

------------------
Why doesn't everybody make cars as well as Acura?
Old 06-22-2001, 03:51 PM

Talking

FIRST LET ME THANK EVERYONE FOR THERE INPUT

I have decided to keep the R for a while longer (if not forever). I don't think I'll consider another car until I HAVE to give up the R (kids -n- stuff). I think what swayed my decision was a little weekend run . . . I was on a back road and noticed someone coming up on my ass . . . wasn't planning on running this road but what the hell . . . I sped up a bit but not too fast so I could see who was coming . . . aaaahhhh . . . an Impala (newer) . . . so I took off . . . after a few turns (2 actually) I didn't see him again.

Later that night I was heading back home down the same road . . . and all I see is head lights coming up on my ass (man this road must be popular). So I hit it again with great aspirations from my earlier triumph (if you want to even call it that). This took a little more time . . . when I tried to bolt I didn't get that far ahead . . . in fact I felt that I started to loose ground (he seemed a bit hot coming into the first turn) . . . I decided it was time to exercise the slip diffs on my R so I started into the turns . . . I had a BLAST . . . I look into the rear view and noticed I was alone . . . but not for too long (respectable amount of time for a bigger car). . . I figured whoever it was couldn't hang in the turns anyway . . . not with the power they were running to gun up my ass in the straights . . . and we could go again for the next set after the stop sign . . . but to my disappointment he was making a right turn . . . but to my surprise . . . it was a CL . . . S . . . damn I love Acura's

I figured if the roles were reversed I would have killed myself in that car . . . I'm not a "dragger" . . . I love the road race . . . anyone can drive in a straight line . . . but it takes BIG balls to hang it out on a curve . . . Till I get past that itch . . . I think I'll keep my R and maybe get a TL-S later!

S4 - - - small just a practical as my R only more money (did I mention MORE!)

M3 - - - never mind

Thanks again . . . ACURA for LIFE
Old 06-22-2001, 05:48 PM
tea elle

good choice
Old 06-23-2001, 04:26 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by lonny:
I hate to disagree, but the Volvo S60 does NOT have a lot of room in it. The front seats are cramped and the back seat, well, it is only good for small kids and small pets. Good handling car, though.

What? have you ever sat in one? Gee I love the front seats on the S60 T5. Even a BMW sales agreed on that as well. They got nice and comfortable seats, espcially the headrest. My 00 TL feels like $hit compared to that.
Old 06-23-2001, 04:33 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Keep the R, and if you have to drive in bad weather, consider the WRX. Yes, I have to say that the car is ugly. But think about the STi that "might" hig the US market with in two years or so. Get the wagon if you don't mine. Think about it, you get:

1. Brembo brake
2. 8000rpm redline
3. turbo, fun!!!
4. 6spd tranny
5. enough space for you, your wife and 2 keed plus stuff for a weekend away

6. I have friend who got a one year old. Man, his car is a mess. I don't think you would want your S4 to look like that.

But after all, very smart move to keep the R, I would...