02 TL-S 6MT Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2023, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,453 Posts
Originally Posted by broly
turns out the transmission had the wrong mainshaft position sensor.

since both the mainshaft and camshaft position sensors are identical, save their length, the ECU couldn't notice any problems until you drove for a while.
Nice, so you did re-check them after I suggested it?
Did you mean the mainshaft & countershaft speed sensors?

Last edited by zeta; 09-06-2023 at 07:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by zeta:
broly (09-06-2023), crustyneon (09-08-2023)
Old 09-06-2023, 07:20 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

here's a more interactive/friendly post showing my speedo working.

all i gotta do is slightly fix my tach and i'm set. don't even know if i care enough about the reverse lockout solenoid.

maybe i'll work on that tomorrow. i dunno. i don't wanna be duluth and start introducing foreign wires in my engine bay, just so i can show off on the internet. there are NO FOREIGN WIRES IN MY ENGINE BAY, save the EDFC active pro wires. THAT'S IT.

absolute disrespect what DULUTH did. have some shame and scurry off with some humility, instead of posting a useless picture. goof.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:27 PM
Suzuka Master

turns out the transmission had the wrong mainshaft position sensor.

since both the mainshaft and camshaft position sensors are identical, save their length, the ECU couldn't notice any problems until you drove for a while.
For the sake of posterity, here is what the CL-S6 countershaft speed sensor
& mainshaft speed sensors look like per the vendor diagram below:

Short length countershaft speed sensor:
; Pick-Up Assembly (Matsushita); 28810-PCJ-014

Longer length mainshaft speed sensor
; Vehicle Speed Sensor - 28810-P7W-004

In short, if these are reversed on the transmission case the speedometer won't work & engine rev's limit to 5500rpm.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:57 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

Originally Posted by zeta
Nice, so you did re-check them after I suggested it?
Did you mean the mainshaft & countershaft speed sensors?
yes, yes i did. thank you.

btw here is a video of my THINKDIAG reporting speed after selecting "ABS" "MANUAL" and then "WHEEL SPEED". it took a little longer because it's hard to do with no hands and two devices, but the proof is there.

if you really think i'm kubricking it, i can probably get someone to show the ABS control unit whilst doing all this, but it'll take some thinking.
  • i mean, there's no lights, but this shows i didn't simply unplug the bulbs on the back of my gauges. i actually did it.

i know 619fgt is devastated. his whole life he wanted to be the honda god, but now he knows that you can spend your whole life wanting to be that and fall short.

in brief: to be a honda god is a blessing. i never even knew how to read circuit diagrams until may 2023 (HAHAHAHA).
  • guys like 619fgt and duluth get choked to see me do things not only quickly, but with standards that enrages them because they just want things to work.
    • in their eyes, i demean and deprive their skills and work with disregard.
      • they use the internet to show that they are somebodies, this is their sandbox.
        • or is it?
could i be nicer? maybe. but i am tired of people trying to show off on the internet.

go away. you're not awesome with your second-rate electrical diagrams ("ALLDATA" *home alone face*) and incomplete knowledge.

massive shout out to karanx7 for at least sharing the existence of the official honda electrical troubleshooting manuals. they are on another level.

i want to dedicate this work to canadian legend (lol what's that even mean?) JACQUES FUCKING VILLENEUVE, who participated in an advertising campaign with the slogan:

"IN EVERY HANDA CAR, THERE IS A HANDA ENGINE"

he says accord in the ad above, but there's one where he says the above and he's wearing his spiffy blue F1 suit at the end.

it's a shame they're not all available.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:53 PM
Suzuka Master

yes, yes i did. thank you.
Thanks, I'll give myself a little pat on the back.

btw here is a video of my THINKDIAG reporting speed after selecting "ABS" "MANUAL" and then "WHEEL SPEED". it took a little longer because it's hard to do with no hands and two devices, but the proof is there.

if you really think i'm kubricking it, i can probably get someone to show the ABS control unit whilst doing all this, but it'll take some thinking.
  • i mean, there's no lights, but this shows i didn't simply unplug the bulbs on the back of my gauges. i actually did it.

, nice loafers, Eh!

Ok, first of all, dēədē, even though I know it will pain you ( & idgaf ), explain to me what you are trying to convey above like I was an 8 year old, because I'm not smelling what you are trying to cook?

Second, is it 20 celsius = 68*f, or is it already f'ing 20*f up there in the great white north?

Old 09-07-2023, 06:48 AM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Well he's got kilom*ters on his dash so I think that might be celsius?

I've been laughing my ass off since broly revealed that he'd been thinking of crustyneon's pajamas for five years now. This whole exchange has been quite the show, I'm glad you guys are still kicking around on this ancient forum here.

Last edited by Arkady; 09-07-2023 at 06:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
crustyneon (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 01:34 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

i got the reverse lockout solenoid working without introducing foreign wires.

if you consult my original post on crusty's 6MT thread, you'll see i was spitballing about what needed to be done.

here are the pictures of what you have to do. in short, you have to unlock+remove (or depin) the 4th pin (middle in the column of 3 for this relay, black red wire) and move it to the second pin socket. it's not a perfect fit, but if you get it all the way in, and put in a 4 pin micro iso relay, it will work.

here are the pics, and a video:

empty socket is the relay we remove (5 pin for the shift solenoid relay)

unseat the housing by lifting the clip on the metal bracket and pulling up. turn it over

see the wire coming out here? this was the one in the top right (of the picture) in the middle of the 3

push it in as far as you can and insert the 4 pin relay. it won't come out. it's hard enough as it is to remove anyways.

this is what it should look like when you're done.

video:
Old 09-07-2023, 01:35 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

to crusty: yes it's about 20 degrees here now. it gets cold here. probably the coldest large city in the world. they say it's winnipeg but i don't believe that since we're farther north.

it's not a bad thing though. definitely not as balmy as the state of andre.

what i'm trying to show is that i have ABS working. you don't need ABS in georgia. in canada we need it because we slip around a lot in the winter. so that's probably why it's not important for people in warmer climates.

to get ABS working, it is not simple. since the car comes with VSA, you have to re-pin the entire VSA harness to work with the ABS control unit, and it's not easy because it's very tight on space.

the CL actually has the control unit plugs facing the passenger seat, where i didn't even have close to the amoutnt of room to do that.

even if you may be sarcastic about my loafers: thank you. they're 12 years old and i've gotten them re-soled twice because they're my "beaters". i like them a lot. i am not a fan of shoes with laces (big surprise)

Last edited by broly; 09-07-2023 at 01:42 PM. Reason: cohesion
zeta (09-07-2023)
Old 09-07-2023, 04:48 PM
Suzuka Master

even if you may be sarcastic about my loafers: thank you. they're 12 years old and i've gotten them re-soled twice because they're my "beaters". i like them a lot. i am not a fan of shoes with laces (big surprise)

I was just fvcking with you broly after rocking UA5_6MT's thread like a hurricane, lol.
Make sure to post a gauge cluster first through third gear pull when you get it all sorted.
Old 09-07-2023, 07:37 PM
I am dumb

Received 206 Likes on 166 Posts

I was just fvcking with you broly after rocking UA5_6MT's thread like a hurricane, lol.
Make sure to post a gauge cluster first through third gear pull when you get it all sorted.
I've been meaning to do this myself, but torque steering makes it difficult for me to hold the steering wheel with my phone + shifting.

I did do it last week across a dam by where I live. Shit was loud. Echoed off the water. Tires spun into the higher RPMs shifting into second. Pretty sure I scared all the people in the parking lot. Not sure why they're at the dam at 11PM though.
Old 09-07-2023, 08:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Thefireball
I've been meaning to do this myself, but torque steering makes it difficult for me to hold the steering wheel with my phone + shifting.

I did do it last week across a dam by where I live. Shit was loud. Echoed off the water. Tires spun into the higher RPMs shifting into second. Pretty sure I scared all the people in the parking lot. Not sure why they're at the dam at 11PM though.

Make it happen!
I'd love to here that J35 scream....
Old 09-07-2023, 08:18 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by crustyneon
Or will haters say it's photoshop?
Definitely Photoshop I can't even see whether you're on I-20 or I-285 in that video man how tf am I supposed to know if it's legit?
Old 09-08-2023, 08:41 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

actually i was busy and i don't read the forums, because this is far down on my list of skills, believe it or not.

i will read your alleged claims of functional ABS shortly, in spite of the fact the existing evidence contradicts it.

so i came back because i want to address the reverse lockout solenoid solution.

turns out the female socket is slightly smaller than it should be. you have two options: the off-the-shelf female connector OR you can widen the existing one.
  • i opted for the second option since i don't like the insulated contacts anymore (but i had one handy)

edit 1: lol he deleted them. who does that? if they're exactly as you say they are, you leave it on record.

as you can see i post solutions that may not be perfect, but i come back and fix them.

edit 2: crusty, no one said your speedo wasn't working. in fact i think i stated in one of my earlier posts that the speedo SHOULD be working for me, and i was not concerned because IT IS NOT A KNOWN ISSUE.

please, read the posts properly. i'm betting crustyneon and arkady were paid by some wall street loser to pretend he had ABS working, when the plethora of evidence suggests otherwise.

i mean, he could have it working, but it goes against the evidence on previous posts, see my boy MIZZAX who just did this swap a few years ago:

Originally Posted by MaxBeast4Z
At this point in time it's almost been 3 months that I haven't given update sorry about that.

Car runs and drives. Drives very uncomfortably though due to the fact that I didn't do a steering rack alignment but I still drive it even though I know I'm wearing out my tires even more the car is already soon going in storage and not being driven at all for winter.

Since I'm driving a vehicle the are things to address:

1. I'm going to have to change the engine due to the fact that this engine almost has 300,000 kilometres on it and it's oil diluting it runs fine but it's oil deluding.
2. SRS system does not work due to the fact that I haven't installed the main harness yet or the unit and also the two crash sensors on the side of the doors.
3. ABS doesn't work due to the fact that the TL ABS module is different from the CL but also the lines on the TL are bigger from the master cylinder to the ABS motor so I have to make new lines and also changed the master cylinder.
4. Check Engine light two things that come up constantly a bad oxygen sensor that I know and system too lean bank 1.
5. The wiring harnesses I didn't waste my time I just took everything from the CL and just put it all in the TL obviously I lose the rear doors but I was able to wire up the rear locks to the passenger side door for now it's a start.
see fsttyms1's post in 06 here as well, it's established:
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I dont have it on mine and was thinking of ading it to see what it did

No and most likely never will. Its a option that i dont really need or want, nor do i want to spend the money to get it to work
who wants to bet mitt probably put these guys up to this? mitt is a fucking loser. fucking apparently a JAB CREATOR and we're all JAB DOERS, and if we're not JAB CREATORS or JAB DOERS we're JAB KILLING REGULATORS!

Last edited by broly; 09-08-2023 at 08:52 PM. Reason: lol apparently he had solutions/evidence and now the pictures are gone?
Old 09-08-2023, 08:57 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

really, the bottom line is this: i am aware the VSA system is SUPPOSED to have a failsafe, but NO ONE has yet to report a successful swap WITH ABS (and consequently VSA< since VSA would have to fall back to ABS, this is how it works) because the 6MT ECU does not have TCS/VSA support.

given crusty's limited knowledge with the wiring, and extensive "hand-made" cuts, such as wiring his fucking clutch to his starter directly (or something like that), i have my doubts his inelegant solutions would magically result in the VSA module falling back to ABS>

the VSA module needs to know VSA isn't working. there isn't a pin from the ECU to tell it that, so it will throw a code. whether this results in ABS being functional afterwards, i don't know. i just know the existing evidence (admittedly of guys using 99s) says no.

edit: here is the main thread where the consensus is, not only will VSA not work, but ABS should not work either: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1...3-tl-s-884072/

i'm just going by the wealth of evidence that was on the forums already. karanx7 echoed the same sentiment that his ABS does not work, and considering you relied on him to get everything working, i have my doubts, man.

i mean you could post another video that maybe stays, third try being the best and all, but if you made an effort to have it "stick" the second time, where is it?

i love how arkady is playing the "support" role, as if to bolster the original claims that have missing evidence, only to manipulate the historical record because i have a life and i don't get notifications for posts on threads.

if you want me to see something, message me and i assure you i'll see it. if you don't message me, i'm assuming you want things to go the way they did above: where you pretend i saw it and ran away.

i don't run, you should know this by now. you all know who i am. you think i can do shit like this and really believe you don't know who i am? just because i'm not on tv? look what i did. this is just one area. what about my scholarly activities? give me a break. humility has its limits

Last edited by broly; 09-08-2023 at 09:05 PM. Reason: just more thoughts
Old 09-08-2023, 09:41 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

crusty sent me the video, so i think his choice of host is poor.

in this video, he is going full throttle, shifts at the maximum RPM, we hear the tires spin and then his speed goes down.

i don't see the pulsating ARkady is referring to. to me, this looks like you triggering the limited slip differential and then slowing down.

please just uploads your video to youtube and embed the link. maybe i'm not listening/watching hard enough.

p.s. i'm not "butthurt". i am just making sure the claim is reliable. that's all. the VSA system, as you stated, is throwing tonnes of codes. the question is when the VSA is unaware of what to do, if it will fall back to ABS.

you are stating it does and you have provided a video of something going on. it's possible it's ABS. but the VSA documentation states it has multiple CPUs that talk to eachother so please forgive the skepticism.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:05 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

i don't get why he's messaging me with these videos. he should post them publicly and then message me afterwards.

really, post them to youtube. but whatever, if you want me to give the play-by-play, i will.

he sent me a second video where ABS is apparently working, contradicting the existing evidence so i guess there is some sort of failsafe.

i just received a notification of a third message, presumably more of the same.

so the story here is that ABS works, it's just that the VSA system does not. so if you use the 6MT gauge clusters (which i am not), then you probably do not need to change the ABS control module.

if you want to keep your A/T cluster, then you will see the VSA light.

maybe MIZZAX and fsttyms1 and karanx7 didn't test it right, OR the TCS/ABS combo module is different from the VSA/ABS combo module and their fail-safes are different.

really, i don't know. second video was much better than the first.

edit: what i'm betting is this is some kind of "dumb abs". the wheel speed sensors are the same on the 6MT/AT (probably TCS cars too). i have to do more reading, but there are different ways you want to engage ABS.

this isn't a TV show so i can't prove my theory, but you've shown brüt abs working. i bet on ice it wouldn't work. right now your car is getting feedback from the pavement.
  • what happens when you're on ice? the wheel speed sensors become useless VERY quickly. they will report zero as you slide the fuck down the road because they are not moving.
    • it's possible that with VSS and the ABS sensors, your car will trigger ABS. but i just don't think the entire "ABS portion" of the VSA module is working.
    • i should read more of the documentation but the algorithms are proprietary. makes me wonder how many they can really run when the main system (VSA) is broken.
  • there are way more elegant situations where the vehicle inertia + wheel speed sensors + etc are mixed in.
but yes, you have the *rudimentary* ABS working. do you have somewhere super slippery you could test it further?

Last edited by broly; 09-08-2023 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:56 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

big surprise, he deleted them again. i kept two of the three.

can't believe i'm posting them to my channel, but it's my job to proffer evidence for claims made by either side. after all Lord Kelvin was right, only like 95++% of the time and people love to hate on the things he got wrong.

anyways.

i know what he is trying to say about "i know what abs feels like" but i'm not sure this is a proper ABS implementation, even in 1998 (first batch of TLs).

when you apply a lot of pressure to the master cylinder, it's going to want to release that pressure. i think this is pressure dumping.

the way he's stopping, it doesn't seem like the system is intelligently applying the brakes to slow him down.

in video 2 he hits 70 mph and then hits the brakes. the "ABS" pulsates approximately 10-11 times, but it does not seem to be doing it intelligently. uniform time intervals.

if i understand correctly, the wheel speed sensor input is handled by the VSA module very differently than the ABS module. it's not as if the VSA module has the ABS module separate. it's integrated.

looking at the attached description of the VSA system (left side), it clearly states
Originally Posted by 1999-2003 Acura TL Factory Service Manual (page 19-128)
When the wheel speed drops sharply below the vehicle speed, the outlet valve opens momentarily to reduce the caliper fluid pressure.
so this looks like the pump motor never really begins. it's just dumping the pressure before the motor is supposed to be triggered. that's all it is.

VSA system left, ABS system right

Last edited by broly; 09-08-2023 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:07 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

i mean come on, he should have read the damn manual before challenging me and not checking what was going on.

now i'm even more certain it's not ABS because with ABS the first step is:

inlet valve closes to retain pressure

which does not happen in VSA.

this would explain why he would delete the videos shortly after posting them, even though they would stay up for two weeks after the post date.

i think part of him knew deep down if others didn't have ABS that "what i [crustyneon] felt was right because i've felt it before" wasn't right. in other words, a danny masterson.

sorry duluth. even the graphs on the inlet valve and motor are different at the start. look at how VSA just goes to a peak in the pressure graph, wheras ABS goes flat and then drops.

in short: it's not ABS. it's pressure dumping
Old 09-08-2023, 11:17 PM
K-Fed's Stunt Double

i found duluth's sudden activity on the forums quite strange, given that i had messaged him earlier (a few months ago) about the IMRC stuff. you get e-mail notifications for that.

but he didn't get any e-mail notifications for my posts, and yet he miraculously became active almost immediately after i posted my pictures.

i stand by my conspiracy especially after his APPARENT/ALLEGED failure to read the manual on the pressure dumping that he was selling as ABS.
  • this is the same guy, who on his original post for the 6MT swap said that he did everything from reading this manual.
    • and he didn't do it here? after posting an (admittedly flattering) picture of some basic figure with a huge brain?
      • nah. he'd know better if he read it the first time to do the swap, which he did.
now he decides not to read it, put up videos for a short period, followed by deleting them quickly?

the game here was the fool me into thinking i was wrong. but i wasn't wrong.

Last edited by broly; 09-08-2023 at 11:19 PM. Reason: some typos and shit.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:55 AM
Save the Manuals

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts
Looks like i missed the sh!t show, wtf 🤣🤣
Thefireball (09-09-2023)
Old 09-09-2023, 05:48 PM
Suzuka Master

pretty proud of the centre console having both the 6MT cupholders AND the TL rear vents.
  • this took quite a bit of work. people don't ever mention that you can't just pop off the cupholder portion of the CL 6MT and pop it in the TL 5AT.
  • you need to swap the entire black bezel inside the console. it's a lot of work.

I mentioned it, though not in so many words, in this very thread:

One question though, did you salvage yard acquire / source & actually use the proper CL-S6 inside Console Box (83404-S3M-A01ZA; $151.46 ) or did you modify (yellow outlined area inside the console) the TL-S one that came with your car to fit the six speed E-Brake lever assembly and cupholder?

I went to the salvage yard and picked up an extra, and saved my original (just in case), from an Auto TL and hacked a good part away to fit the cupholder / e-Brake lever. Everything looks good, solid and concealed when reassembled; however, I was just wondering what you managed to do for those fitments?

Let me know if you want to see the final result and I'll post pics. I don't want to hijack your excellent thread, hehe.
On the other hand, if you have had enough driving time to form an impression, how is that new closer-ratio steering rack assembly working out?
Is there any noticeable overall improvement in turning radius?
Old 09-10-2023, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 588 Likes on 436 Posts
Originally Posted by UA5_6MT
Looks like i missed the sh!t show, wtf 🤣🤣
Rumor has is some Canadian went on a rantpage.
Old 09-10-2023, 07:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 588 Likes on 436 Posts
could i be nicer? maybe. but i am tired of people trying to show off on the internet.

go away. you're not awesome with your second-rate electrical diagrams ("ALLDATA" *home alone face*) and incomplete knowledge.
Awwww, that's so cute that you did your first auto to manual conversion with the help of two mechanics and at least 3 other forum members.

And btw, I'm on 3 auto to m/t conversions and would never claim to be a honda God as you undeservingly pretend to be.

Before switching to AEM standalone all my lights were off on my f23 (4cyl) to j series conversion:

Just a couple clips, since I have better things to do than argue with a schiz-o who forgets to take their meds.

Lastly, as to your abs, vsa rant, no one cares.
Old 12-11-2023, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Received 1,006 Likes on 575 Posts
Not sure I agree with you, but I will forward this to astro for his opinion.