** Replacing Starter DIY **

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
** Replacing Starter DIY **

Hey guys, the starter on my 1999 TL started to go and instead of taking it to the dealer, I decided to do it myself. After searching through some posts here, I found that ppl have done it, and it was stated to be easy. However, there was no DIY.

While I don't have any pics, I will try to walk everyone through what I did. It truly was a easy job. Note: I just completed it but am going by memory right now.

I bought one from autozone which was $170 and you get $40 back when you return your old one.

Tools you will need: Gloves, socket wrench set, breaker bar. For a breaker bar, just go to your local hardware store and pick up a pipe of some sort.

Prop the hood and start the job by removing the battery, and the metal battery plate on the bottom. It's held down by 6 12MM bolts. Removing the battery now will just make it easier from the beginning since you'll need to do this later anyway for the bottom bolt.

Removing the starter - Super easy. There are 2 17MM bolts holding the starter in place. You will also disconnect the 2 copper cables going into the starter -/+. The top bolt is easy to get off. Here's what you do for the bottom (credit to Forevafire (Joe)). Put the 17MM socket onto the bolt and use extensions so you are using the rachet around where the battery used to be. This allows you to use the breaker bar since there is room.

After taking the bolts off, you unscrew the + cable using a 12MM socket and just pull out the - cable. On my 99, there was also this black clip that was attached to the bottom of the starter. You just use a 8MM socket to take off the long silver metal piece and the black clip comes off.

Half way there!

Reinstall - obviously just repeat the same steps backwards. A quick note, on the starter (you'll see from your old one) there is this cable that goes from one part of the starter to another part. On the aftermarket one, there is also that same cable HOWEVER, even though the starters look identical, the cable goes to a different location. I first installed it the way my old one was set up...I bolted the starter in, then plugged in the wires to try to start it. I just threw in my battery to see if it works before I reinstalled everything. Didn't start. So I switched the positive cable to how it came out of the box, reconnected it, and ta-da! the car started!

It took me about 2 hours and I've never done a starter before. I would say if I had to do it again, it would take a hour.

Definitely something I would recommend doing yourself.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Intermediate

nice writeup. how do u know when the starter is going bad?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gorne
nice writeup. how do u know when the starter is going bad?
A starter will start to go bad when it starts to develop flat spots and not "catch." When you try to turn the car on, you will it a single click, and the car won't start. That single click is a good bet that your starter is on it's way out. You can turn the key a few times, after a few "clicks" and turns, the starter will probably catch again. You're probably fine for a few days but who knows how long. Best thing to do is when you start running into the problem, make time to do it that weekend.

Again, huge credit to Forevafire. Definitely a class act as he was responding to all my questions, talking to me on the phone, and he's never met me before! Saved me TONS of time by telling me about moving the battery. Would've taken me at least another hour or 2 before I realized something like that.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:10 AM
6th Gear

Very nice writeup - anybody have an idea how much this costs at a dealer/shop?
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I asked local dealerships around me one wanted almost $600 and another one wanted $400.

Not sure about a local shop though.

Good write up!
Old 08-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

Yeah, I had called some indy shops around me and the price for starter + install was ~ $400. Labor was quoted as 1.5hours so was probably around ~ $100 of the $400 total.

But seriously, I was definitely leaning toward bringing the car to a shop just to get it done...but this was so simple to do and I'm happy I did it myself. It was a good experience AND money is in my pocket.

I'm sure many of you will worry that the bolts are probably caked on and won't come off, etc, but I literally have no issues. I did spray some WD40 10 minutes prior and once I used the break bar, the bolts came off with ease.