***PLEASE HELP*** failure code p1710

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 12:55 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***PLEASE HELP*** failure code p1710

My wife was driving my car to pick our kid and she said the Car started jumping (i think she means slipping but im not sure) so she gets the car to the destination and the car wont go in park so i drive to her and when i get there the car is off and its stuck in 5th gear and wont go up so i use the shift lock button to put it in park but the car wont start now i turn the key and u dnt hear a click or anything and the brake pedal is stiff like it has no power but i tried jumping it and that didnt work. So i hooked up my code reader and it gave me the trouble code p1710 but i already changed the neutral safety switch. Any suggestions?? Please my car is stuck in a bad spot i need to move it asap
Old 11-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Your failure code is a problem in the 1st-hold Switch circuit.

You should be able to start the car in neutral?

The probable causes all lead to loose connections or broken wires. You need to remove the center console to get access to them and test the connections.

If you can't get the car started then you may have to tow it. I don't have any other suggestions - maybe someone else will. Sorry and welcome to the forums!
Old 11-08-2015, 09:28 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Chojun
Your failure code is a problem in the 1st-hold Switch circuit.

You should be able to start the car in neutral?

The probable causes all lead to loose connections or broken wires. You need to remove the center console to get access to them and test the connections.

If you can't get the car started then you may have to tow it. I don't have any other suggestions - maybe someone else will. Sorry and welcome to the forums!

I tried starting it in neutral it wont do anything..
Old 11-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Can you get it on video ?
Im guessing a bad ground, Follow the negative battery cable to the engine, If its not attached or corroded theres your problem. Replace it with a new one.
Old 11-13-2015, 01:47 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
Can you get it on video ?
Im guessing a bad ground, Follow the negative battery cable to the engine, If its not attached or corroded theres your problem. Replace it with a new one.
https://youtu.be/YjhZPhaPIGU here is a video
Old 11-13-2015, 02:55 PM
Pro

Hey Tay,

Just out of curiosity, I noticed your steering wheel, it looks like the air bag has gone off? Did you pick this car up with a salvage title?

Anyway, with the gear selector being in neutral but the cluster indicating D5 and 1st, I think your car is confused about what gear the shifter is in. It will not start unless the selector is in N or P.

You might need to pull your shift selector apart and clean/inspect/replace the switches. What year is yours?

Edit: do a quick test - when the key is on (position II) and you put it in reverse, do your reverse lights come on?
Old 11-13-2015, 03:01 PM
8th Gear

Hey Tay,

Just out of curiosity, I noticed your steering wheel, it looks like the air bag has gone off? Did you pick this car up with a salvage title?

Anyway, with the gear selector being in neutral but the cluster indicating D5 and 1st, I think your car is confused about what gear the shifter is in. It will not start unless the selector is in N or P.

You might need to pull your shift selector apart and clean/inspect/replace the switches. What year is yours?

Edit: do a quick test - when the key is on (position II) and you put it in reverse, do your reverse lights come on?
The car wont start at all will this test still work?? My car is a 2001 i and yess i was in a accident on the passenger side so my air bags were deployed but havent had the time to fix it. I need the car to run though.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:02 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by tay Robinson
The car wont start at all will this test still work?? My car is a 2001 i and yess i was in a accident on the passenger side so my air bags were deployed but havent had the time to fix it. I need the car to run though.
Is there any Diy on how to take the selector out as you can see ive got some of it takin apart in the vid but dont know the next steps
Old 11-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Pro

Grab a cheap multimeter and check the continuity on these pins. If any of them are bad then you will need to replace your range switch. I'll bet the problem is with your range switch but just a guess at this point.

EDIT: I would test your range switch before removing the shift lever.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:25 PM
8th Gear

Grab a cheap multimeter and check the continuity on these pins. If any of them are bad then you will need to replace your range switch. I'll bet the problem is with your range switch but just a guess at this point.

EDIT: I would test your range switch before removing the shift lever.
Can it be cleaned instead of replaced i know some people said they were able to clean something inside the center console and it worked fine... but thank you for your help i really appreciate you.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:57 PM
Pro

On the front of your shift lever assembly is your A/T shift switch connector. You'll want to inspect that. Put your shifter in 1st and check continuity between the black and purple wires. If the shifter is in any other position there should be no continuity between black and purple wire terminals.

If continuity doesn't check out then you need to replace your shift lever detent bracket assembly.

#15 here: http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Happy to help, Satan cries a little every time a mechanic loses money on Acurazine.

Last edited by Chojun; 11-13-2015 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:52 PM
8th Gear

On the front of your shift lever assembly is your A/T shift switch connector. You'll want to inspect that. Put your shifter in 1st and check continuity between the black and purple wires. If the shifter is in any other position there should be no continuity between black and purple wire terminals.
I replaced the whole gear selector the 1st gear light went off but noe the d5 light is still on it thinks its in 5th gear as it was wen it failed i unhooked the battery to reset the computer and still it is in d5 any suggesti ok n now?
If continuity doesn't check out then you need to replace your shift lever detent bracket assembly.

#15 here: Acura Parts @ AcuraOEMparts.com - Genuine Acura OEM Parts from Delray Acura

Happy to help, Satan cries a little every time a mechanic loses money on Acurazine.

I replaced the whole gear selector the 1st gear light went off but now the d5 light is still lit so i tried to unhook the positive cable to reset pc but it didnt work it still thinks its in d5 wat do i do now??
Old 11-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Pro

Test your transmission range switch with a multimeter to make sure that it is okay.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:51 AM
8th Gear

Test your transmission range switch with a multimeter to make sure that it is okay.

***FIXED*** thank you Chojun for your help.. turns out when i put the neutral saftey switch on at first the bolt werent very tight due to me bein in a rush.. so they came loose and the wire were ripped due to rubbing the axle. But i also feel the gear selector was failing also. So changing the selector and putting my old neutral saftey switch did the trick!! Thank you once again... u saved my poor tl
Old 11-22-2015, 10:05 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
NOTE NEVER pull the POSITIVE battery cable off first!!! unless you like being the short path to ground?!

its battery NEG first off... and last on

to rest the ecu the SAFE and easy way- open passenger front door and remove cover from fuse panel on end of dash (later years on kick panel)
Pull the 7.5 amp CLOCK fuse out for 1 minute and reinsert- replace cover, DONE!

That fuse is THE SECRET BACKUP POWER TO THE ECU
Pulling it and reinsert causes a full code clearing and ecu reset- relearn

NOTE some years require an idle relearn procedure after doing this
Old 08-31-2016, 11:52 AM
5th Gear

Helloo people new in town I got a 2003 mdx I don't have no check light on or anything but on low mph driving first to 2nd gear if I press gas pedal to floor trans slip rpm go up I have to stop so the car move again so I when to a guy mechanic he put it on computer and code p1710 came out he reset the code in computer but still doing the same how I can fix this before transmition get damage or something this only happen when I try to floor the pedal on first or second gear any anything I can do ?