"High School" reaction to my TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2001, 09:48 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Post "High School" reaction to my TL-S

OK. This was strange. My "crew" was working Wednesday at a High School here in CT installing some equipment and needed some parts that they did not have, so I decided to drive them down to them (good excuse for another ride in the TL-S!)

Well, I sprinted the 30 miles or so to the school and arrived just as the kids were changing classes. Now this is an "old" school, one with many old brick buildings. This requires massive herds of kids to walk between the buildings as the periods change. As I arrived, the path around the building I needed to get to was blocked by what seemed like an endless supply of moving kids who were not about to "part the red sea" for me.

Anyway, I sat there in the driveway in my TL-S for over 5 minutes while these kids passed by my car, some giving me the defiant look like "You ain't going nowhere, you old fart!" while others (mostly guys) walked over to the car, checked it out, and gave me the thumbs up and "I want this car", etc. It made me a little nervous.

When the "sea" thinned out, I managed to move a little further to where my "guys" were, and more kids checked out the car. Then, like in the movies, kids hung out a window on the second floor of a building yelling "Cool Car!", etc. I was embarrased!

Anyway, I dropped off the parts, and escaped, passing many more admiring youths.

At any rate, for some reason I was relieved to get out of there. But, some of you were asking what "kids" think of the TL-S. I can attest to the fact that "they like it, they really like it!"

:-jon (who escaped from the ordeal in one piece, and is glad he was in high school from 1967-1970 instead of now)

------------------
-------------------------------------------
2002 TL-S NAV Black/Black
w/Spoiler, Body Kit, Bowling Ball Wheel,
Bowling Ball Gauge & Vent Trim Kit
Comptech Springs
Comptech Exhaust
Pictures at:
<A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1626677&f=0

</A>
Old 05-04-2001, 10:24 PM
MCD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! If it were me, I'd have mixed feelings. I'd be happy for the attention, but I'd also be a bit worried about it. Don't want a few of those kids wanting it too much.

Old 05-04-2001, 10:44 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

.......:-jon (who escaped from the ordeal in one piece, and is glad he was in high school from 1967-1970 instead of now)

[/B]
I see u went 2 High school the same years as myself! That's cool! Tell me truthful, is the TL-S that much better than a 2000 TL? I'm still not even half way through my lease & can't bring myself to trade in early on the TL-S & spend (probably) lots more money.

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph
Old 05-04-2001, 10:57 PM
Racer

That would make a great Acura ad Jon .
Old 05-04-2001, 11:08 PM
Instructor

Cool

I have to admit that ppl who pay attention to the roads will stare at the car like the way never felt before... I can definitly say I am proud to be a TL-S owner! Maybe it's cuz tehre aren't too many out there yet...

Old 05-05-2001, 12:20 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by csp33:
I have to admit that ppl who pay attention to the roads will stare at the car like the way never felt before... I can definitly say I am proud to be a TL-S owner! Maybe it's cuz tehre aren't too many out there yet...

I see that oblio98 has the under body kit along with the spoiler. If you're getting that amount of stares I would guess you do too. I don't have the kit and my car gets the amount of attention the old TL's get.(Almost none.) I don't think people even notice the difference between the old and new TL. Even old TL owners!
Old 05-05-2001, 12:20 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Smile

Originally posted by Lrpba300:
.......:-jon (who escaped from the ordeal in one piece, and is glad he was in high school from 1967-1970 instead of now)
I see u went 2 High school the same years as myself! That's cool! Tell me truthful, is the TL-S that much better than a 2000 TL? I'm still not even half way through my lease & can't bring myself to trade in early on the TL-S & spend (probably) lots more money.

[/B]
Yeah, it was pretty cool growing up in the '60s. A lot was happening then, but it sure was a lot simpler for us than it is for kids growing up today!

I was lucky, I had a 2 year lease on my 99TL, and it ended on March 20th. I would have gotten another TL, as I loved my car. Back in Dec, I heard rumors about a 260HP TL, and I told my salesman that I wanted to wait for that car, even if it meant buying mine and trading it in. At the time, I had no idea that it would be a 2002!

At any rate, the TL-S is so much more than my 99TL, I cannot describe the difference. It is AMAZING. This is the first car I've had in a long time that I am really into. Everytime I drive it, it gets better. At this point in my life, I can afford to do things to it, so I got a few mods at the recommendation of people here, and they are great.

I do not know if I would "take the hit" and end a lease early to get a TL-S, but I know that I would check it out and see how badly I would get screwed. I would hope that the dealer would "be kind". Maybe you could find someone to assume the lease, or maybe you could buy the car outright, then trade it in.

I know my dealer is selling my 99TL NAV for more than my lease buyout was.

I'm sure that you can tell by the enthusiasm of the TL-S owners here that this car is something special. It's hard to put a finger on it, but it definatly is.

:-jon

Old 05-05-2001, 03:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Reminds me of the Volkswagon Passat commercial where the kids are running out of the elementary school -- ready to sell candy -- and the buses separate, revealing this bored man in his new Passat - the kids are floored.
Old 05-05-2001, 09:38 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally posted by oblio98:
Yeah, it was pretty cool growing up in the '60s. A lot was happening then, but it sure was a lot simpler for us than it is for kids growing up today!

Agree high school was "different" in the late 60's, but today, it's scary! We only have one Acura dealer here in springs...could go to Denver, but not sure. I've looked at the TL-S, but I'd have 2 lease again to afford. I can't Buy outright, so may have to wait for several months to work out a deal. I do have a great car to drive in the mean time. I think the 2k TL is just breaking in. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

------------------
2000 3.2 TL Laguna Green
29% window tint, Clear bra, no nav
225/50/16 Aqua-Flow GTW's on OEM wheels
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/lrpba300?...l=fld3&.src=ph