Wheel Finish

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 11:57 AM
Former Pedestrian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wheel Finish

I'm searching to find an 18" wheel for an RL that suitz my needz. As mentioned in earlier postz, my intent is to run a wheel all year long ... Even during the winters months in New England. (I'm stupid and don't have the time or desire to switch wheels.)

Looking into the Mugen NR wheel, I'm told the color is anodized. Not being familiar with this finish (remember, I'm stupid) ... I have a couple questions for you folkz. How well do you think this anodized finish might hold up ... Especially when subjected to some road salt? In general, how would you rate an anodized finish compared to painted, polished, powder coated or cleared finishes?

Any help would be appreciated,
Old 08-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many metals are structurally weakened by the oxidation process, but not aluminum. Aluminum can actually be made stronger and more durable through a process called 'anodizing'. Anodizing involves placing a sheet of aluminum into a chemical acid bath, quite often acetone in laboratory experiments. The sheet of aluminum becomes the positive anode of a chemical battery and the acid bath becomes the negative. An electric current passes through the acid, causing the surface of the aluminum to oxidize (essentially rust). The oxidized aluminum forms a strong coating as it replaces the original aluminum on the surface. The result is an extremely hard substance called anodized aluminum.

Anodized aluminum can be nearly as hard as diamond under the right anodizing process. Many modern buildings use anodized aluminum in places where the metal framework is exposed to the elements. Anodized aluminum is also a popular material for making high-end cookware such as frying pans and pots. Heat is distributed evenly across anodized aluminum, and the process of anodizing provides a naturally protective finish. It is possible to use another electroplating process to make anodized aluminum look like copper or brass or other metals. Special dyes can also be used to color the anodized aluminum for decorative uses.

Because of its strength and durability, anodized aluminum is also used in a number of other applications. Many of the satellites circling the Earth are protected from space debris by layers of anodized aluminum. The automobile industry relies heavily on anodized aluminum for trims and protective housings for exposed parts. Furniture designers often use anodized aluminum as the framework for outdoor pieces as well as the base metal for lamps and other decorative items. Modern home appliances and computer systems may utilize anodized aluminum as protective housing.

Anodized aluminum may not be appropriate for all applications because of its non-conductive nature. Unlike other metals such as iron, the oxidation process doesn't seem to weaken aluminum. The layer of 'aluminum rust' is still part of the original aluminum and will not transfer to food or easily flake off under stress. This makes it especially popular for food-service applications and industrial applications where durability is crucial.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Retired MOD

Just is case you are wondering about real CHROME: Most wheels or all to my knowledge are not real chrome. Your craftman tools are.

Chrome is an electrochemical reaction used to put a fine metallic coating on an object. Aside from making cheap jewelry, electroplating has important uses in the automotive industry for chrome plating, and in the electronics industry for optics and sensors.

The process of electroplating (also referred to as electrodeposition) is fairly simple. To start, a negative charge is placed on the object that will be coated. The object is then immersed in a salt solution of the metal that will be used to plate the object. From there, it’s simply a matter of attraction; the metallic ions of the salt are positively charged and are thus attracted to the negatively charged object. Once they connect, the positively charged ions revert back to their metallic form again and you have a newly electroplated object.

Controlling the thickness of the electroplated object is generally achieved by altering the time the object spends in the salt solution. The longer it remains inside the bath, the thicker the electroplated shell becomes. Of course there must also be an adequate amount of metallic ions in the bath to continue coating the object. The shape of the object will also have an effect on the thickness. Sharp corners will be plated thicker than recessed areas. This is due to the electric current in the bath and how it flows more densely around corners.

Before electroplating an object, it must be cleaned thoroughly and all blemishes and scratches should be polished. As mentioned, recessed areas will plate less than sharp corners, so a scratch will become more prominent, rather than being smoothed over by the plated material.

The process of electroplating began at the beginning of the 20th century and continues to evolve today. Many common objects such as tin cans are actually electroplated steel with a protective layer of tin. Medical science has experimented with electroplating to create synthetic joints with electroplated coatings, and new advances in electronics have been made with electroplated materials.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:40 PM
Former Pedestrian

Wow, Bitium ... Thatz some excellent info! THANX for the time and effort of your response. This wheel finish seemz to suit my needz ... But are there any negatives associated with it? Howz the upkeep and cleaning of an anodized wheel ... Any special needz to consider?
Old 08-06-2005, 12:29 AM
ASP
Earl Shod

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-electroplating.htm
Old 08-06-2005, 07:25 AM
Former Pedestrian

No problem ... The person still took the time & effort to look up the info.

I'm looking for more feedback and experience from people regarding anodized wheels ... Anybody?
Old 08-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Intermediate

Great choice on rims, I was looking to get the same set. Maybe we can ask for a discount!
Old 08-06-2005, 09:38 PM
Former Pedestrian

Originally Posted by AllenRL
Great choice on rims, I was looking to get the same set. Maybe we can ask for a discount!
Taking the info you posted earlier in the "Wheels" thread, I contacted King and the price is down a little ... $560/per wheel (plus $130 for special set of lugz).

This is not my favorite wheel design (I wanted a polished lip on the wheel), but the pickingz are sure slim. I don't mind the cost ... But with so little knowledge of anodized wheelz, I'm uncertain.

Can anyone give us some feedback on anodized wheelz ... Or suggest another forum member/section for better info?
Old 08-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by 427
No problem ... The person still took the time & effort to look up the info.

I'm looking for more feedback and experience from people regarding anodized wheels ... Anybody?
Don't know, but I did find this:

http://www.anodizing.org/benefits.html
Old 08-07-2005, 02:17 PM
Former Pedestrian

Originally Posted by Bitium
Don't know, but I did find this:

http://www.anodizing.org/benefits.html
Thatz good newz ... But this JELLY info I found bothers me:
If your wheels are anodized, the manufacturer may recommend a protective coating of petroleum jelly. I have tried this and have chosen to use a Carnauba wax instead. I found that the petroleum jelly attracted every dust particle within a half mile. Anodized wheels that have stain marks are difficult to restore. Most manufacturers do NOT recommend the use of any metal polish on anodized wheels. It will remove some of the anodization and change the appearance slightly. If you can live with the removal of some of the anodization and the appearance change, a mild metal polish such as P21S Metal Finish Restorer Polish may help remove some of the stains. Test any metal polish on the back of the wheel before using. Once the wheel is done, apply a coat of Carnauba wax.