Time for TIRES, NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for TIRES, NEED HELP

Hello guys/gals,

Haven't posted in a while and never really had the need to up till now. So it's time for me to get some tires for my 05 RL. Not quite sure if i want to go with Michelins again so i wanted to reach out to my fellow RL and Acura users out there to give me some good feedback on which i should go with.

I'm going to be upgrading my wheels this go around to the factory chrome wheels (18"). I think the size is 245/45/18. And i was looking at Goodyear, Bridgestone, and BF Goodrich. Out of those three, which do you all prefer and would suggest as far as a good performance tire, quality, and comfort in the ride?

Thanks all!

DL
Old 12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ and thanks for posting! I am moving your request to the Tires/Suspension section for more appropriate answers. There's also a lot of information there about replacement tires for our RL that will be apparent with a search.

Favorite replacements so far include

Pirelli Pzero Nero A/S
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

I know you mention other manufacturers, but the fact is that there aren't many tires that fit either the 17" or 18" wheels of the RL.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Cruisin'

Sorry Neuronbob! Thanks for moving it to the appropriate forum. How much are the Pirelli's? I've been hearing about them a lot from people and one in particular said the noise level was even quieter than the Michelins. That's what i'm looking for. Also i've came across a set of tires for BFG, Bridgestones and Goodyear that would work w/ the 18" wheels. The question is where do i go from here and which manufacturer do i go with??
Old 12-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
I replaced my tires about 2 months ago. Went with the Pilot Sport A/S. They are a huge difference from the Michelin OEMs if you want to stick with the oringinal wheels. Much better grip and much quieter. I got over 58K out of the OEMs though.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

Yea i realize Michelins by far is a good riding tire. I too have the Michelins OEMs on my RL and it has about 55k miles on it and just now changing them out. So i definitely agree on the quality and them lasting. But the question remains, for the money isn't there a tire out there that can compete with that? And that's what i'm trying to figure out.

I called my local Acura and talked w/ my service rep. and he was saying that they recommend Bridgestone if you don't go with Michellins. They said to stay away from Goodyear but i was told by people in Just Tires that Goodyear has the best performance tire out right now. Eagle F1 All season (245/45/18).
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
There are a couple of guys here with the F1s who swear by them.

Originally Posted by Quiet_Az_Kept
I called my local Acura and talked w/ my service rep. and he was saying that they recommend Bridgestone if you don't go with Michellins. They said to stay away from Goodyear but i was told by people in Just Tires that Goodyear has the best performance tire out right now. Eagle F1 All season (245/45/18).
Old 12-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Here is a recent test of Ultra High Performance All Seasons, where the Goodyear F1 AS rates pretty well. The Goodyears are my top tire choice to try out, but with only 14K miles on my PAX, it could be awhile.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...ay.jsp?ttid=87

This is a very apples and oranges comparison, but for our minivan, the Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance 215/65-HR15 has been the best tire we have had in years over several minivans. So good that my wife stopped complaining that she wanted to sell the minivan and buy an MDX (yes those Bridgestones were that bad). I was floored by that one.

The Goodyear F1 AS have a similar triple tread pattern which I thought would be awfully noisy, but they are surprisingly not. How do you compare a passenger tire to a UHP tire because it has similar looking "triple tread"? You obviously do not, but I have been impressed with the ride, handling and performance of this Goodyear tire, even in torrential rains on a long, high speed trip to South Carolina.

I also have Pirelli PZero Nero AS on my 2G Legend. Great tire, but, and it is a big but, you have to be aware of the compromise. The PZero Nero AS has the same tread pattern as the max performance summer tire, but uses an all season compound so it does not stiffen up into a piece of hard plastic in cold weather. This tire is great in warm weather. Last year, when they were new, it was OK in icy, snowy weather, but not great. It is too early to have tried the Pirellis in winter weather this year.

However, we put the Legend through a day of Tire Rack Teen Street Survival run by the local BMW CCA about a 40 days ago. After the hammering these tires received, mostly in the wet and dry skid pad, although the slalom, threshold braking and accident avoidance exercises, to name a few, contributed, these Pirelli's are feeling noticeably very loose, especially in wet weather,very easy to spin them on acceleration. These are 225/50-WR16s that are less than half worn, 7/32 may 6/32 (original 10/32).

So the bottom line is no more Pirellis for me. I am ready to try something else, either the Goodyear F1 AS or the Michelin Pilot Sport AS.

I will tell you with an unqualified STAY AWAY from Continental ExtremeContact UHP AS tire. Worst tires I have ever owned. Noisy, lumpy, hard too keep balanced, difficult ride on all but glass like roads.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Cruisin'

Yea i was told that the F1 All seasons are great tires. I was even told that's the number 1 high performance tire out there right now. Of course this was said by the people at Just Tires and of course they're owned by Goodyear or whatever. So i didn't know if they were just pitching that due to that reason along or if it's some truth in it. I'm leaning towards the Goodyear's however, i've also heard that you don't get much mileage out of them. So around 15-20k they start to wear. Is this true? However, with this triple thread tech. they have on the F1s i'm assuming that may not be a problem.

I was also looking at the Yokohama's and of course when i called Discount Tire this is the one they recommended. Again because the Yoks are apart of Discount Tire and their "exclusive" tire. But surprisingly enough, i have only heard great things about them. Looking for a tire that has the ride comfort, good quality, good ride comfort, no road noise, (little as possible) ,etc...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:46 AM
Cruisin'

Keep in mind to that the measurements i'd be getting are 245/45/18 as i'm getting the aspec wheels. (18")
Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Cruisin'

So i've been doing a lil more research and i'm now possibly leaning more towards BF Goodrich and the Super Sport G-Force All Season for about $183 per tire. Anyone heard of these or have these, and/or know anything about them?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:15 PM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Originally Posted by Quiet_Az_Kept
So i've been doing a lil more research and i'm now possibly leaning more towards BF Goodrich and the Super Sport G-Force All Season for about $183 per tire. Anyone heard of these or have these, and/or know anything about them?
I just ordered the Pirelli SnowSport's to put on my stock rims from TireRack. I also ordered some 245/45ZR18 BFGoodrich g-Force Super Sport's to go on some new rims. I won't know what those feel like until sprint.

When I switch out the tires I will most likely but on the A-Spec kit.

Bottom line, I've had a number of BFGoodrich's and really like those tires. This will be my first experiance with SnowSports.

Bob...
Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chas2
I will tell you with an unqualified STAY AWAY from Continental ExtremeContact UHP AS tire. Worst tires I have ever owned. Noisy, lumpy, hard too keep balanced, difficult ride on all but glass like roads.

I have to take issue with your advice about the Conti ExtremeContact. I had two sets of these on my 2nd Gen TL. I got terrific life out of them (over 50k per set and I drive around 80mph) and they had decent winter traction for the first 30k. Never had balance problems and found the ride to be competent. They were a bit noisy compared to whatever the stock tire was, but I never found them offensive. Most of the people who rated them on Tirerack gave them good marks, and they were a great deal for the price. My

btw, as an aside, its been 2 months since my RL got wrecked and I still havent gotten it back from the body shop.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:41 PM
Cruisin'

Not sure if if i posted here but i ended up going with the Goodyear Eagle F1 AS. I should be getting them on more than likely Friday as i'm waiting on my a-spec wheels to come in.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
looking forward to the pix!
Old 12-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Cruisin'

Ok so i have some concerns..

Got the tires and wheels installed on the car, however, there's a vibration and shimmy in the steering wheel. What could this be a result of? At first naturally i thought it was the balancing, but i really don't think it's that b/c they guys said they're balanced correctly, etc... Could something be loose, something having to do with the stabilization??? I was talking with someone and he was saying it could be that. It was doing this before the new tires and wheels were installed and it's still doing it now so, clearly something else must be wrong. Would anyone have any ideas?

PS... I'll definitely post some pics once the final product is complete. I ordered the front and rear underbody spoiler. The rear should be in either tomorrow or Monday so hopefully mid week i can go ahead and get those installed and take pics of the finished product. I LUV THE A-SPEC WHEELS. They just give the car a whole new look, stance. Especially with the treading of the GY Eagle F1 A/S Tires. I just wish i could get the full effect of them w/o the vibration i'm feeling.