steering vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering vibration

I got my tires rotated, and they are at like 70%,so they are not worn.. if I take my hands off the steering wheel the car drives straight, but I feel this vibration in the drive. Anyone have this issue? My tires are filled properly too. I took to dealer, they said they felt it but after the rotation they didn't feel it, but that wasn't really true cuz it is still vibrating after the rotation.

It is slight but I don't know what else could be causing it. There was no splitting on my tires, and my alignment seems ok. Any thoughts..
Old 12-18-2008, 03:35 PM
Cruisin'

One of your rear tires may have a defect that was not as noticeable until you moved it up front. This has happened to me before with a tire that looked completely normal. I would be very surprised if it is alignment causing this issue. Alignments typically affect how straight the car drives, while tire balancing and defects usually cause vibration.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Racer

it might be a slightly bent wheel. I have had this happen twice; even after a tire balancing.....the vibration was still there.

Just a guess though.........
Old 12-24-2008, 01:08 AM
Racer

I haven't crashed, really badly.. I mean I had a 1 mph fender bender a couple times but those just caused scratches on my bumper. Well I guess I will just live with it for now... It is just not a "SOLID" drive and that is what is weird. There is a slightly shakey vibration but it is not major. I don't know what else it could be. It was there before the tires were rotated, service acknowledged it, rotated, said it went away, and I disagree..
Old 12-24-2008, 12:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by gcook
I haven't crashed, really badly.. I mean I had a 1 mph fender bender a couple times but those just caused scratches on my bumper. Well I guess I will just live with it for now... It is just not a "SOLID" drive and that is what is weird. There is a slightly shakey vibration but it is not major. I don't know what else it could be. It was there before the tires were rotated, service acknowledged it, rotated, said it went away, and I disagree..
Long shot, but search the threads. There was something awhile ago about steering column bearing replacement on a car, or something, that was causing a vibration.

Use the google search method

site://rl.acurazine.com <add your search terms>
Old 12-28-2008, 02:55 AM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Was it there prior to the rotation? Rotate them back-takes 20 minutes tops-to see if it goes away. This will tell you which direction you need to go.

Have them RoadForced balanced-which I always recommend anyhow on lower profile tires.

Check all suspension components, bearings, etc for looseness.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:09 AM
1st Gear

Have you changed the suspension? If the shake comes when the car is going in a straight line, your camber may be off. (Typically the tops of your tires will tip in towards the car.) There are simple camber kits which will fix the problem. A tire rotation, or alignment will not fix the problem. If the wheels are already "vertically correct", you probably have a bent rim.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Racer

I only have 25K miles on the car, and I haven't been in any suspension bending or rim bending accident.. I have an OEM car.. yeah the vibration was there before the rotate, and was there after it. I have like a huge amount of tread on my tires, per my last service, and when I take my hands off the wheel, the car drives straight. I may just have to live with it, at least til my next dealer appointment.. It isn't too bad , but it takes away from the enjoyment of driving. It is weird cuz I put all 25k miles on it, so I know what it felt like and how it feels now. Sometimes I think maybe it is just the newness or the stiff/tightness of the car is worn off...
Old 12-28-2008, 10:05 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
If it was there before the rotate and assuming the fronts and rears were swapped then either you have more than one bad tire/rim or something else is at play. It is not something you should have to deal with. With only 25k miles I would have the dealer take a good look at it.