A-Spec suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 07:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
A-Spec suspension

Today I asked about the A-spec suspension at my dealer and was told could not get without getting A-spec wheels and tires too. The price that i was quoted was $2100 installed. I know some of you have gotten the suspension without wheels and tires. I was told this was recently mandated by Acura to only sell suspension with wheels and tires. Anyways, is $2100 a 'decent' price?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:02 AM
Retired and Loving It

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura of Escondido sells the A-Spec suspension without the wheels for $600. They are an authorized dealer in SoCAL.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...mZ280041632529
Maybe your dealer is too lazy to find the part number for suspension only or just wants to sell you some wheels too.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:51 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
Acura of Escondido sells the A-Spec suspension without the wheels for $600. They are an authorized dealer in SoCAL.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...mZ280041632529
Maybe your dealer is too lazy to find the part number for suspension only or just wants to sell you some wheels too.

Yeah, that's a crock. You can get it piece meal if you want.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:23 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
a) $2100 installed is a stellar price for the wheels and suspension. If you are interested in both, jump on that deal. I bought the combo from Curry Acura via eBay for $2030 shipped, and my dealer installed it for $440 (install + alignment), so I'd say you would be getting a better deal than me.

b) The A-Spec suspension is available alone for $600 on eBay, as noted above, if you don't want the wheels, and most dealers will work out a deal for installation.

c) Acura mandated that dealers sell the wheels and suspension together three years ago, when A-Spec first appeared in this form. Trust me, I know, I had to wait a long time to get the A-Spec suspension on my 2004 TL. The prohibition is not recent, and luckily there are dealers who realize there's an enthusiast market who will buy this separately.

Moving to Tires/Wheels/Suspension
Old 11-25-2006, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Which tires come with the A-spec wheels? Summer or all-season? Thanks guys fro your comments and guidance.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
Which tires come with the A-spec wheels? Summer or all-season? Thanks guys fro your comments and guidance.
When getting the whole package from the dealer I think the tires are Michelin Pilot Sports, which are summer tires. If you'd rather have all-seasons tell the dealer you want the Pilot Sport A/S instead (or another A/S tire in the 245/45-18 size).
Old 11-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by miner
If you buy the combo package online, it will come without the tires, allowing you to choose your own.

If you buy through the dealer, the full price including the tires the summer Michies noted above) is around $2700 IIRC. If you are getting the package with tires for $2100 (assuming not), that would be a more than stellar deal! However, I think you're just getting the wheels and suspension for that price, and you'll have to pick good A/S tires.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Instructor

I'm really embarrased to show my ignornace on this topic. However, can someone please tell me what the A-spec suspension is all about.

1. Is this an Acura product?
2. Is it a stiffer sportier suspension system? Is it a subtle difference or quite obvious?
3. Do you always change the wheels out with this suspension.

Any other comments you would have about A-spec would be appreciated. Coming from an Audi A6 the stock RL is quite stiffer which is nice for a change. I'm wondersing if A-spec is the only way to go.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Don't be embarrassed, that's what the board is here for (though search is your friend).

Originally Posted by gdevine
I'm really embarrased to show my ignornace on this topic. However, can someone please tell me what the A-spec suspension is all about.

1. Is this an Acura product?
Yes. It is designed specifically for this car. Most importantly, it is covered by the new car warranty when installed with the car purchase, or is covered for 12 months when installed by a dealer after the car purchase.

2. Is it a stiffer sportier suspension system? Is it a subtle difference or quite obvious?
Yes, it is stiffer, the difference is noticeable. There is much less body roll (though it's not completely gone) and less dip and squat on acceleration and braking. The steering is sharper and it's easier to keep the car in a lane than with the stock suspension. At the same time, the ride quality is not affected other than that you feel a few more imperfections in the road. For me, this is tolerable.

3. Do you always change the wheels out with this suspension.
No, there are plenty of people here who run A-Spec with stock wheels. Even though the 18" A-Spec wheels help with handling, keeping the stock 17's will improve the ride quality (e.g. feeling fewer bumps) while still keeping some of the better handling characteristics.

Any other comments you would have about A-spec would be appreciated. Coming from an Audi A6 the stock RL is quite stiffer which is nice for a change. I'm wondersing if A-spec is the only way to go.
A-Spec is not the only suspension available for the RL. Also available are H&R springs ($369 springs, $1550 coilover), Mugen springs/shocks. Tein also offers springs, but they are available only in Japan and by import.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Don't be embarrassed, that's what the board is here for (though search is your friend).

Yes. It is designed specifically for this car. Most importantly, it is covered by the new car warranty when installed with the car purchase, or is covered for 12 months when installed by a dealer after the car purchase.

Yes, it is stiffer, the difference is noticeable. There is much less body roll (though it's not completely gone) and less dip and squat on acceleration and braking. The steering is sharper and it's easier to keep the car in a lane than with the stock suspension. At the same time, the ride quality is not affected other than that you feel a few more imperfections in the road. For me, this is tolerable.

No, there are plenty of people here who run A-Spec with stock wheels. Even though the 18" A-Spec wheels help with handling, keeping the stock 17's will improve the ride quality (e.g. feeling fewer bumps) while still keeping some of the better handling characteristics.

A-Spec is not the only suspension available for the RL. Also available are H&R springs ($369 springs, $1550 coilover), Mugen springs/shocks. Tein also offers springs, but they are available only in Japan and by import.

Thanks Neuronbob:

That helps me alot. I have already purchased the vehicle, white pearl 06 about two months ago. The dealer never mentioned this option and I don't remember seeing it on the accessory list. Would the A-Spec suspension be covered under an extended warranty or just the 1 year 12k miles? I think I might be interested in this suspension.

Thanks again
Old 11-26-2006, 11:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Don't also forget to include an alignment after getting these installed.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gdevine
Thanks Neuronbob:

That helps me alot. I have already purchased the vehicle, white pearl 06 about two months ago. The dealer never mentioned this option and I don't remember seeing it on the accessory list. Would the A-Spec suspension be covered under an extended warranty or just the 1 year 12k miles? I think I might be interested in this suspension.

Thanks again
The A-Spec suspension would be covered for a year IIRC, though since it's an Acura part I don't see any dealer would give you a hard time if something happened down the line.

The reason the dealer didn't mention it is because a) it is mostly on this board, which is full of enthusiasts and modders, that you see people interested in A-Spec or other suspension mods; or b) he/she just didn't know.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
Don't also forget to include an alignment after getting these installed.
If your dealer installs it, this should be part of the installed price.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The A-Spec suspension would be covered for a year IIRC, though since it's an Acura part I don't see any dealer would give you a hard time if something happened down the line.

The reason the dealer didn't mention it is because a) it is mostly on this board, which is full of enthusiasts and modders, that you see people interested in A-Spec or other suspension mods; or b) he/she just didn't know.

I second all of NB's statements. I have it and I love it. That being said, I like a stiffer suspension in my cars. For me, it was too soft stock. I bought a-spec somewhat on faith....thank goodness it was ok.

My dealer had never installed it before...in about 50 RL's....lots of wheels and spoilers, but the suspension seems to be for the "hard core" types around here at least.

JB
Old 12-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis
I second all of NB's statements. I have it and I love it. That being said, I like a stiffer suspension in my cars. For me, it was too soft stock. I bought a-spec somewhat on faith....thank goodness it was ok.

My dealer had never installed it before...in about 50 RL's....lots of wheels and spoilers, but the suspension seems to be for the "hard core" types around here at least. JB
I had the A-Spec suspension installed Friday and so far I love it. Bought it from Curry Acura via eBay and the dealer charged me around $530 for installation. All of the other installation quotes from dealers around here were in the $700 - $1000 range. The handling is much better - the ride is stiffer without being harsh. Others have compared it to BMW/European handling - my wife owned 3 BMW's before we got her an MDX in April and the RL rides much better than her recent 5 series. Thanks to everyone here for sharing their thoughts.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Awesome....another A-Spec convert!

I've put almost 3000 miles in since my A-Spec install and now that I'm accustomed to driving with it, I agree with the "European" sentiment. The car allows me spirited driving when I'm in the mood, and a refined ride when I'm not.