Replacement Rims for PAX system

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacement Rims for PAX system

I'm trying to get off the horrible bs pax system. By the way, i got a flat tire yesterday, tried driving the remaining five miles to work and the run flat tire had a critical failure, nearly came off the rim. so happy i have a $400 piece of rubber that can't even perform as advertised....

I'm looking for replacement rims but due to the situation I'm kinda rushed to get an order for replacements.

I'm having a lot of success online finding rims that supposbly fit my car. this particular one caught my eye....

http://www.buywheelstoday.com/produc...8Chrome%29.bwt

the numbers are confusing though. I can find it in my diameter and bolt pattern, but the width is different (in this case 9.5") with an offset of +45. I'm really overwhelmed by this. I want to ensure that the rim I buy won't stick out of my wheel well, won't conflict with my factory brakes, and will be compatible if necessary with the tpms system (from my vague understanding it seems like i have to have a rim compatible with the system for my car to accept it?

According to the website, the options it gave me on the original search are all compatible with my car, and the width of the tire will inevitably effect the offset it has. So does this mean i can get a 8.5" tire with an offset smaller than the the factory specs?

any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ruahokie09; 10-19-2010 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
OK, here is some stuff that I have compiled in the past, but never posted because it is not finished...but it may be useful in its current state...

Disclaimer: This information has been compiled for the Author’s own personal use, and may have errors and omissions. Author specifically disclaims any express or implied standards, guarantees, or warranties, including any warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose OR NON-INFRINGEMENT, AND any warranties that may be alleged to arise as a result of custom or usage, ANY WARRANTY OF ERROR FREE PERFORMANCE, OR ANY WARRANTY OF THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS. In no event shall Author be liable to users of this information for any punitive, exemplary, special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages (including, but not limited to, lost profits, lost business opportunities, loss of use or equipment down time, and loss of or corruption to data) arising out of or relating to use of this information, regardless of the legal theory under which such damages are sought, and even if the parties have been advised of the possibility of such damages or loss.

Conventional Standard Equipment Wheels and Tires Specifications
KB-1 (2005-2008)

Made by Enkei (P/N 42700-SJA-A82) or Asahi (P/N 42700-SJA-A81)
Diameter and Width: 17" x 8J"
Spokes: 5
Bolt Pattern: 5 x 120 mm
Offset: +55 mm
Hub Size: 64.1 mm
Lug Size: 14 mm x 1.5 (P/N 90304-SJA-A91) made by Sato Rashi
Lug Seat Style: Honda flat seat with washer
Lug Nut Socket Wrench Size: 22 mm Deep Socket
TPMS Assembly: TRW 315 MHz (P/N 06421-S3V-A04)
Est. Wheel Weight: 25 lbs
Tires: Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 245/50-17 98V Grand Touring class All Season Radials
Est. Tire Weight: 26 lbs
Est. Total Wheel and Tire Weight: 51 lbs
Acura Wheel Lug Lock: (Made by McGard, but only sold through Acura)
Acura RL non-PAX™ System Wheel Lock P/N 08W42-SJA-200 (Note this is a different part number than PAX™ System wheel lug locks, and substituting the wrong lug seat is dangerous. PAX™ System wheel lug locks have a ball (spherical) seat, but do not properly fit conventional Acura sourced KB-1 RL wheels, which use a Honda flat seat with a washer style lug seat.)

Acura RL 4-Piston Front Brake Caliper Clearance
When fitting non-2G RL specific after market wheels, or even Honda or Acura manufactured wheels that apparently have the correct sizing, it is critical to verify fit with the wheel manufacturer. The 2G RL is fitted with a large 4-piston front brake caliper (OEM Supplier is Advics). While the wheel specifications listed above may be correct, the front brake caliper may still rub. See the diagram below in the “Offset” discussion.

For example, the fourth generation (2009+) Acura TL OEM wheels would appear to fit the 2G RL, but despite the specifications (17x8 or optional 18x8 size, 5x120 PCD, +55 Offset, 14x1.5 lugs), the wheel spokes do not clear the 2G RL's much larger front brake caliper. The same goes for the wheels designed for the wheels made for the Acura MDX or Honda Pilot SUVs.

Offset
Offset is the difference between wheel centerline and the wheel mounting face. The difference is expressed in millimeters. The 2G RL has a high positive offset (+ 55 mm) requirement with respect to the standard factory 8-inch wide wheels.
The area shaded in yellow is where brake caliper clearance issues can occur. The gray area is the brake caliper which can cause interference with the back of the spoke, outlined in red

Assuming all other parameters remain the same:

Increasing offset moves the wheel and the tire away from the fender edge, closer to the suspension.
Decreasing offset moves the wheel closer to the fender edge, farther away from the suspension.

The Acura 8-inch wide wheel has a +55 mm offset. If we compare the Acura wheel to an aftermarket 8-inch wide wheel with less offset, for example +42 mm, the inner portion of the wheel moves 13 mm (~0.5”) away from the suspension and 13 mm closer to the fender of the car. Decreasing the offset gives you more clearance between the suspension and the inside edge of the tire, but less clearance between your fender and the outside edge of the tire, all other parameters held equal. As you move the outside edge of the tire toward the fender, at some point, the outside edge of tire will interfere or rub with fender or fender liner when the front tires turn left or right, and/or when the suspension is compressed. This rubbing point will also be influenced by a lowered suspension.

Now let’s play with another variable, width. Remember the Acura wheel is 8-inches wide with a +55 mm offset. Now let’s compare an aftermarket 8-inch wide wheel with a +42 mm offset, to the same aftermarket wheel, but in a 9-inch wide version, with a + 42 mm offset. Compared to the Acura wheel, the 9-inch wide +42 mm offset wheel, the outside edge of the tire is much closer to the fender. In fact, in our 9-inch wide example, the clearance between the inside edge of the tire and the suspension remains the same, but the outside edge of the tire is 26 mm (~1.0”) closer to the fender.

You can see from this example, that if you use a 9-inch wide wheel, the ideal offset would be 42 mm, which would leave the distance to the inside suspension the same. But of course, nothing is this easy. If you also increase the tire section width (e.g., the “245” in a 245/45-18), to take advantage of wider wheels, maintaining the same clearance to the inside suspension may cause rubbing. In such a case, you may want to decrease your offset even more, to say +38 mm to give you more inside clearance. Of course, now you are dealing with three variables.

Pay attention to the tires you will be using. Not all tires of the same nominal size are the same width. Actual width of tires can vary as much as 10 mm in width despite having the same stated section width. Typically, there is some margin built into the factory offset specification to account for these manufacturer width differences. Even more important is to maintain the factory specified 26.7-inch rolling diameter. Using a larger diameter tire would mean the inside edge of the tire is closer to the suspension, which could mean the difference between rubbing and not. Lowering the suspension can also influence this rub point.

And remember, the 2G RL has the front brake caliper issue which must also be considered. The higher the offset, the greater the chance the caliper will hit the back of the wheel spoke.

Use the 1010 Tires Wheel Offset Calculator at to help understand what you are buying.
http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

Wheel Width Caution
In general, for the factory supplied tire size, no less than an 8-wide wheel should be used. Tires should be mounted in accordance with individual manufacturer’s specifications on an appropriate width and diameter wheel. The general guidelines can be found in this Yokohama Tire article on custom sizing.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/customer...rformance.aspx

Another variable comes into play when mounting wider tires than 245 mm section tires. Wider tires require a wider wheel. For example, some have fitted the slightly larger 255/40-19 sized tires to the 2G RL. Every manufacturer of that size tire recommends an 8.5-inch minimum wheel width, which will change the specified offset calculation to something on the order of +48 mm, assuming the front brake caliper clears.

Using a narrower than recommended wheel width can adversely affect handling and possibly safety, as the tire sidewall and tread will excessively distort (twist) on hard cornering. Similarly, using too wide a wheel has consequences in wheel weight penalty and an overly harsh ride, and in extreme cases, overstretching the tire sidewalls.

So how wide a wheel width can be used? We know that people have successfully fitted 20 x 9.5-inch wide custom wheels made by Work, to the Acura RL.

Hubcentric Fit is Critical
Another consideration is that Honda/Acura wheels, like many manufacturers, depend on hub-centric wheel fit rather than a lug-centric fit. If the wheel bore is not supplied in the Honda 64.1 mm diameter hub, the fit is not hubcentric, but this can be easily remedied with a hub centering ring.

Hubcentric fit means the wheel mounts, and is supported, in part, on the 64.1 mm diameter hub. The lug nuts are there to keep the wheel in place against the hub, but not to support the vehicle weight. Many after market wheels are bored out a much larger size, for example 75 mm, so that they may fit on a variety of European, American and Japanese cars, regardless of their hub size.

In such cases, a centering ring is required, which, in this example, will take the 75 mm wheel bore, down to the required 64.1 mm hub size. Without a centering ring, after market wheels may have vibrations, in addition to more mechanical strain being put on the lug bolts, which are designed to hold the wheel against the supporting hub. Reputable wheel and tire retailers, such as the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) will ensure that the correct centering rings and lug nuts are supplied with any wheel and tire package they sell.

Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Do Not Forget To Install the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) Sensors
Finally, any 2G RL wheel must be fitted with compatible Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensors, or the car's low or no pressure TPMS warning system will be alarming constantly. The KB-1 (2005-2008) series cars uses a different TPMS part number than the KB-2 (2009-2010) series cars.

Reputable wheel and tire retailers, such as the Tire Rack (www.tirerack.com) will ensure that the correct TPMS units will be installed in any wheel and tire package they sell. At this writing, Honda uses six different models of TPMS sensors, so getting the correct type is critical.

The 2G RL does not need any special programming when fitting new, or replacing TPMS units. New (not previously used with the car) TPMS units will automatically register with the Multi Information Display (MID) computer after driving about 1 mile.
The following users liked this post:
flwrngls (08-03-2023)
Old 10-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a set of wheels for sale that many are running on their cars these days because of fitment and their ability to still look relatively factory. Check out the signature... if its not your taste the OEM Aspec's are not PAX and there is a set for sale in the black market here as well but they are more than what im selling my wheels for so if your on a budget that might not be your direction you want to go.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Cruisin'

I just put on the 18" version of the wheels from the thread below. Michigan roads are horrible so I didn’t want to go 19" or bigger.

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-photograph-gallery-91/guss_90-acura-rl-768586/
Old 10-20-2010, 02:37 AM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
i have an extra set of oem rims and tires that i might sell.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Cruisin'

Everyone, thanks for posting, especially chas. Very informative.

Due to the time constraint, i had to buy quickly and get them on the truck. I went with these.

http://www.drivelinecustoms.com/imag...LVER_large.jpg

according to two different sources (one from which i purchased them), these should clear the calipers. Speaking of front calipers, my very hard working dealership tried just about every rim they could find to see if they could get one to fit. One of them managed to match the back, but couldnt clear the font caliper. Acura did everything they could to ensure people would be forced to stay with the PAX system. ughh.

The one rim they couldnt try was also the one they were convinced would fit, but as an acura rim, the asking price was more than 600 dollars a rim. no thankyou.

the petrol vengence rims are priced at 320" for hte 19x8. Somehow i managed to get them for 240 from the same company. I have no idea how that managed to happen.

still, even with their assurance they will fit, i am very worried they won't. Acura will be installing the TPMS, and these wheels/tires are compatible with it. that shouldn't be an issue. the front caliper is really making me worry though. i hope i can close this issue by the weekend.

the above rims are silver with a polished lip. THere was another rim that was almost identical except it was all chrome, unfortunately that one wouldn't clear the rim. maybe its for the better, that may have been too much chrome for my car.

anways, if all goes well, i'll post some pictures up.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:19 AM
Safety Car

Good data.

19x8, what offset?

If you can, please weigh the wheels without tires, or tell us total weight and what tires you bought so I can subtract the weight of the tires to get the wheel weight.

Thanks and let us know how the fit works.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Chas2
Good data.

19x8, what offset?

If you can, please weigh the wheels without tires, or tell us total weight and what tires you bought so I can subtract the weight of the tires to get the wheel weight.

Thanks and let us know how the fit works.
90% positive its a +35 offset. I'll confirm tomorrow when i can reach the paperwork. I want to say they are 30 lb. i can't remember where i feel like i read that. I will confirm this for you as well tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

okay, quick picture just so you can see how they look.

according to sources, the RL's will fit these rims from 18-20"

def do not weigh 30 lbs. lighter than that, can't confirm though, im sorry.

http://filebox.vt.edu/users/bbbean08..._3500310_n.jpg
Old 12-24-2012, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chas 2 - found a great article you published over two years ago regarding dimensions of acura rl wheels - has it now been decided which rims and tires fit perfectly and match those of the factory acura rl pax system wheel. Just purchased 07 RL with pax - Michelin Pilot HXMXM4 - 245-680R460A tires and 235x460A tpms wheels. Are all Pax system wheels chromed? What size wheel in inches are my wheels - 18"s? Want to DEPAX but only if equal to or greater than factory engineered safety can be achieved. In addition I see postings of mileage attained with Pax system from 24M to 81M - what is the legit number I can expect with these tires? Jack
Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Chas 2 - new member have no idea how to maneuver around site: the RL I purchased is a beautiful car - however we just returned tonight after travelling on the 15 from San Diego. 80MPH is the norm - that being said - I just had the PAX tires rotated and spin balanced at Discount Tire - this evening at 70 - 80 MPH they felt out of round, you could feel every imperfection in the road and noisy...help - what wheel manufacturer will allow me to depax?
Old 12-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 844 Posts
There is a good post from Chas here: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-tires-wheels-suspension-92/d-009-re-pax-de-pax-question-786954/
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Purchased 07 RL with tech - 20K miles. After reading most of the posts regarding the PAX system have decided to stay with system - only drive 12 - 15M per year and with the mileage some of you have achieved it seems logical to stay with it. New question: Regular or high test gas in the RL? My son purchased new 05 RL - has over 250,000M on it and has never used high test gas and never a problem with car. Has maintained stringent service with Acura dealer. Suggestions?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:20 PM
2nd Gear

Honda Wheels for replacing PAX wheels

Hi, I am attempting to replace my PAX wheels and tires on a 2006 Acura RL with non-PAX wheels and tires. I just purchased a set of stock wheels from Ebay that are supposedly OEM correct for 2006 Acura RL. The wheels have the following marks on the back: '17x8J 55 Honda Motor' and a separate marking of 'SJA 780B ENKEI'. I intend to run stock size 245/50R17 tires on the wheels. I am in the process of buying new TPMS sensors for an 206 Acura RL as well as the correct lug nuts for the standard (non-PAX) OEM wheels. My question is: are the wheels I purchased truly stock wheels for an 2006 Acura RL and even more importantly, will these wheels and tires fit my 2006 Acura RL without any issues?
Old 09-24-2018, 06:43 AM
Safety Car

Yes the setup you describe will work

Originally Posted by kbennett
Hi, I am attempting to replace my PAX wheels and tires on a 2006 Acura RL with non-PAX wheels and tires. I just purchased a set of stock wheels from Ebay that are supposedly OEM correct for 2006 Acura RL. The wheels have the following marks on the back: '17x8J 55 Honda Motor' and a separate marking of 'SJA 780B ENKEI'. I intend to run stock size 245/50R17 tires on the wheels. I am in the process of buying new TPMS sensors for an 206 Acura RL as well as the correct lug nuts for the standard (non-PAX) OEM wheels. My question is: are the wheels I purchased truly stock wheels for an 2006 Acura RL and even more importantly, will these wheels and tires fit my 2006 Acura RL without any issues?
Is your question because the wheels say Honda Motor or Enkei or something else? You are doing everything correctly based on my experience with the same car and dePAXing the car.

You should look for a spare in the junkyard. It will cost you far less than the route I took buying individual components
If you are so inclined. I never used the spare for the years after. I sold the car in 2015 after a parking lot hit and run
Old 05-12-2022, 01:40 PM
2nd Gear

Hi,
I would like to get a stock spare tire and wheel for my 2006 Acura RL. I had a PAX setup on my 2006 Acura RL and switched 4 years ago to the regular stock wheels and tire size but didn't get a spare. So far I fortunately haven't had the need to use a spare, but decided I shouldn't risk it anymore. I have been looking on Ebay to make the purchase and I am somewhat confused with the information presented on Ebay. It appears on Ebay that some of the stock Acura RL spares painted yellow state they fit 2005-2012 RLs while other similar looking yellow stock spares are listed as either fitting 2005-2008 or 2009-2012. When I go to the online OEM Acura parts stores, they list two different spare wheels. For the 2005-2008 RLs, the part number is 42700-SJA-J51 and for the 2009-2012 the parts dealer lists the stock wheel part number as 42700-SJA-J52. The online dealer websites suggest you cannot use the 42700-SJA-J52 wheel on a 2005-2008 RL and vice-versa, a 42700-SJA-J51 wheel does not fit on a 2009-2012 RL. Also, from what I can tell looking at Ebay, the Acura factory spares for both 2005-08 and 2009-12 Acura RLs both use a T155/70D17 spare tire. Honestly, I do not know the difference between the 2 spare wheels and tires from Acura for the two different RL model year periods. Can anyone shed some light on this topic? Assuming I need to use only a factory spare using wheel part number 42700-SJA-J51, how can I tell the difference between a 2005-08 factory spare from a 2009-12 factory spare. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2022, 06:05 AM
Safety Car

It’s been a long time since I owned the 2006 RL. Loved that car!

I cannot answer for sure but believe the answer lies in the lug seats. Look on the catalogs at the specified lug nuts for the two parts numbers. I believe that 2005-2008 with PAX used different lugs than the non-PAX wheels.

I seem remember I had to change lugs from PAX wheel spherical (ball) seat to the flat with washer (can’t remember the name— mag style?)

I seem to recall for my spare, which I did before there was an official solution, required me to carry 5 different lugs but honestly it was so long ago…

The catalogs may not specify lug part numbers for the spare so you can just look at the OEM wheels for the 2005-2008 and 2009 forward to see what style lug they specify

Otherwise all the other temp spare and tire specs should be the same.

Old 05-17-2022, 11:16 AM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts
For non pax oem wheels RL(2005-2008) used lug nuts with washers. I think Odyssey and Ridgeline of the same years also used same lugs. You can buy These for oem wheels. For spares i think you can use from 2005-2012. 2009-2012 RL (KB2) used regular lug nuts (without washers) for oem wheels as compared to earlier KB1 years.

Last edited by deepa1600; 05-17-2022 at 11:21 AM.