New Tire Cost

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry New Tire Cost

I recently ran over a nail and had to call roadside assistance. The tire went completly flat. This happened in Long Island City New York on a busy shopping area. Acura was very good with their service. I called the 800 number and they had road butler come and put my spare tire on within 45 mins. This was around 8pm in the evening. The problem is when I went to the dealership to have the tire repaired and they said they were not able to because the hole was too close to the wall of the tire and it would be unsafe to "plug" the tire or try to seal it. Instead, the brooklyn Acura dealership I took it to is trying to get me to buy a new $280 dollar tire. I am not a happy camper.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Costco.com shows them for $246.99 and Tirerack.com has them for $238.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:14 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would never go to a dealer for a tire. I am not sure what you have in your area. But I was using costco. Just reasontly changed to using American tire. I found their service better and priced about the same with road hazard warranty. Try some tire dealers in your area. But my guess is you are not going to find a tire for less than $200-$250.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:45 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Besides I would never accept a "plug" repair its totally worthless. The only appropriate repair for damage within the tread area is an internal patch repair.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by cyngod
I recently ran over a nail and had to call roadside assistance. The tire went completly flat. This happened in Long Island City New York on a busy shopping area. Acura was very good with their service. I called the 800 number and they had road butler come and put my spare tire on within 45 mins. This was around 8pm in the evening. The problem is when I went to the dealership to have the tire repaired and they said they were not able to because the hole was too close to the wall of the tire and it would be unsafe to "plug" the tire or try to seal it. Instead, the brooklyn Acura dealership I took it to is trying to get me to buy a new $280 dollar tire. I am not a happy camper.
If it's $280 all in: mounting, balancing, and tax - then it's not too bad. I bought my replacement tires from Tire Rack and will use them again - great experience.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:28 PM
9th Gear

There's worse pricing out there...

I had a 2001 Audi A6 2.7T (in 2001) that needed a tire replaced. Took it to Goodyear as it was the only place that had them ... their stock was 2 in the entire country and they were shipped from Florida @ $500+ luckily I argued that is was a defective tire sucessfully and had it replaced at no cost. These were the original tires on the vehicle.
Old 01-24-2007, 06:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by backfire
I would never go to a dealer for a tire. I am not sure what you have in your area. But I was using costco. Just reasontly changed to using American tire. I found their service better and priced about the same with road hazard warranty. Try some tire dealers in your area. But my guess is you are not going to find a tire for less than $200-$250.
I note that a lot of folks here get their tires at the national discount chains. However, the worst balance job I ever had on a new set of tires was at one of the national discount tire outfits in Indianapolis. It made for the worst trip back to Mississippi I've ever experienced. Once back in Mississippi, the Honda dealer there rebalanced the tires and told me that the weights bore no relation to wheel balance.

I'm about to replace my '05RL's OEM's with tires purchased at a Honda dealer in Mississippi. Hopefully, this will be a positive experience...my other servicing at this Honda dealer has been really good so far, both for my Honda and my RL.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bluemule
I note that a lot of folks here get their tires at the national discount chains. However, the worst balance job I ever had on a new set of tires was at one of the national discount tire outfits in Indianapolis. It made for the worst trip back to Mississippi I've ever experienced. Once back in Mississippi, the Honda dealer there rebalanced the tires and told me that the weights bore no relation to wheel balance.

I'm about to replace my '05RL's OEM's with tires purchased at a Honda dealer in Mississippi. Hopefully, this will be a positive experience...my other servicing at this Honda dealer has been really good so far, both for my Honda and my RL.
That particular terrible balance job was on my '94AccordEx. I've only run OEM Michelins on that Honda (460,000 miles), and on that particular car, the best sets of tires purchased were from Sears in Beckley, WV and the set now on the car, purchased at a Honda dealer in Jackson, MS. The worst set that I can recall was a set purchased at a Sears store in Hoover, AL. I wore that terrible set out, but these never rode smoothly and always gave the impression that they were not balanced. Getting decent tires can be a crap shoot.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Cruisin'

Pax tire

Has anyone priced out the PAX tires? I have them on my RL with Tech package
Old 01-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bwollen
Well if you want to choke, the e store says each tire, no insert, lists at $406.59, but the winter tires are a steal at $245.45!
Old 01-24-2007, 04:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bwollen
Well if you want to choke, the e store says each tire, no insert, lists at $406.59, but the winter tires are a steal at $245.45!

Your independent Michelin PAX certified dealer may have it for less, but it will likely be a several day special order.

Have you worn yours out already? How long did they last?
Old 01-25-2007, 07:12 AM
Racer

When I was it high school I had a '53 Lincoln. I took it to a local tire shop, left it all day, and had all 4 tires recapped for a total of $20.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by catsailr
When I was it high school I had a '53 Lincoln. I took it to a local tire shop, left it all day, and had all 4 tires recapped for a total of $20.
I tried out a set...once...and only once. They were rather...well...rough. I put these on a 1965 Volvo 122S...about 40 years ago...after that little experiment, I used Michelins when they became available in the Birmingham area. As I recall, belted tires were the new thing. To mount the Michelins, the dealer would check the rim for high/low spot, and then somehow match the tire and rim. Then they'd check the tire with a "run-out gauge" and "trim" off any "high" spots! Ouch. Those early Michelin tires weren't so hot...I went to work on a pipeline construction project in South Louisiana and split a couple of the Michelins down the middle, probably running way too fast on the then unfinished interestates.