neuronbob, a-spec?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:22 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
neuronbob, a-spec?

Hey Bob, you got photos of your A-Spec setup? Or you are still waiting for the tires to come in?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
See my signature....been updating it daily for two days already.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey bob if you get the chance can you take some pics of the actual a-spec shocks and springs ? curious to see what they look like. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Got pix...will post tomorrow.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put my A-spec in on Monday, I already had 18's, pretty hard to tell the height difference, very little difference in wheel well look, both with A spec and 18's. Handling improved definately, ride decreased slightly, very livable, all in all much improved over stock setup, but it wont knock your socks off. Remember we are dealing with a luxury car.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Thanks for the comment, it's actually pretty helpful. From my experience lowering my two previous cars, you should wait a week or two as the suspension settles in before you note a significant difference. I'm not expecting TL-like handling as the RL's too heavy and I'm sure even the A-Spec is more softly sprung than my TL A-Spec. However, with AWD and a lower center of gravity, I expect to have even more fun in the curves than I do now. I'm in a 2006 TL loaner for the day so I'll be able to make an immediate comparison.

Can't wait to try it out tonight if they can get everything done, as they're also checking out my iPod integration and installing my cargo net.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Um, Bob, you promised pics today....
Old 10-13-2006, 02:03 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Saw a silver '06 RL w/A-Spec in Southlake, TX today at a sandwich shop. Sharp.

I really like the split-spoke wheels and the look the 18's give the car. Not especially crazy about the chrome, though ... do the wheels come in a painted or polished version? I've seen only the chrome.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lumpulus
Um, Bob, you promised pics today....
OK, I'll say this myself so no one else has to:

All in due time, my dear Watson, all in due time. Can't I leave work first to pick up the car?
Old 10-13-2006, 02:47 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neuronbob
All in due time, my dear Watson, all in due time. Can't I leave work first to pick up the car?
NO!
Old 10-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX

I really like the split-spoke wheels and the look the 18's give the car. Not especially crazy about the chrome, though ... do the wheels come in a painted or polished version? I've seen only the chrome.
Contact Falconi Acura in Las Vegas. I believe the parts manager is Steve, been a year so it could have changed. They were taking different wheels and powder coating them (the wheels I saw were the Anthracite Black - very shiny and looked nice. I would guess that they might have some pictures they could email to give you ideas.

Actually thought about getting a spare set of 18s myself and seeing what a powder coating shop can do about matching the blue and getting creative with the rim and spokes. The 17s are for winter tires so no desire to "colorize" metal that just gets muddy and snowy anyway.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Retired and Loving It

Originally Posted by Mike_TX

I believe they come in chrome and two shades of silver.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ernie Golfs
I believe they come in chrome and two shades of silver.
Chrome in bright (traditional) and black (see my thread in the photo section). The black chrome, in my opinion, is a lot less shiny and was what I was looking for. The chrome was on my care for a few days (dealer error...got the darker stuff for me) and it was nice looking. I just wanted a more subtle look. I wish something graphite or black was out there.

RonJon makes some cool wheels and they are a sponsor of this site.

JB
Old 10-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Moving to the Suspension subforum because now I have to discuss the suspension.

It's too early to give a good impression, especially because the dealer overinflated the tires (37 psi all around!???) and the ride home from the dealer was a bit hard. I'm going to experiment with 35 psi all around, then 32 (the recommended pressure).

Even so: much less body roll and very little dip and squat. Just what I expected--more controlled pitch, good ride quality. Will do more driving tomorrow and even post pictures as the dealer put tire dressing on the Proxes. Sorry, it's just too late for pics right now!

PS: those black chrome wheels are HOT in person and contrast the Celestial ("yellowish") Silver. That was definitely a good call on my part.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:35 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts

It's too early to give a good impression, especially because the dealer overinflated the tires (37 psi all around!???) and the ride home from the dealer was a bit hard. I'm going to experiment with 35 psi all around, then 32 (the recommended pressure).

Even so: much less body roll and very little dip and squat. Just what I expected--more controlled pitch, good ride quality. Will do more driving tomorrow and even post pictures as the dealer put tire dressing on the Proxes. Sorry, it's just too late for pics right now!

PS: those black chrome wheels are HOT in person and contrast the Celestial ("yellowish") Silver. That was definitely a good call on my part.
For what it's worth, I'm running 35 lbs all around and prefer it to 32 lbs which I started with. Keep in mind that I have 19" wheels and tires too. It provides just the right amount of balance between ride and handling IMO.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Cruisin'

bob can i see a pic of the new car? i have the same color and just did the aspec susp and interested to see how it looks with the wheels you have selected. thanks
Old 10-14-2006, 02:33 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's too early to give a good impression, especially because the dealer overinflated the tires (37 psi all around!???) and the ride home from the dealer was a bit hard. I'm going to experiment with 35 psi all around, then 32 (the recommended pressure)

I've noticed this seems to be an issue with my dealer, too. The car was delivered with 47 (!!!!) lbs in each tire -- clearly, what they shipped it from the factory with to keep the tires from flatspotting during transit, that they just never fixed. Rattled my teeth out of my head....

I fixed that, easy enough. Then when I took my car in for its first service (including tire rotation) it came back with what seemed to be a totally RANDOM tire pressure -- between 34 and 39 PSI, and none of them the same.

I corrected it back, but I mean, there's just no bloody excuse for that when the car actually TELLS you the tire pressure from INSIDE the car....

After some experimenting, I've decided the factory is really right with 32 PSI -- the tires are much quieter at that level, ride is wonderful, and gas mileage is fine.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I like to run a bit more up front, currently at 35 front and 32 rear for my stock suspension. Helps take away some of the roll and understeer, then again with the a-spec you might have to use a different setting.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:21 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Not being one to follow the rules ( ), when I saw that the manual calls for 32 front and 30 rear, I split the difference and set them all at 31psi (cold).

I don't like different pressures front and rear.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

35 all around seems to do fine. Ride is PERFECT.

The drop was nearly an inch. The ride quality is not significantly impaired with the A-Spec suspension and wheel setup. There is nearly none of the bobbing that is present with the stock suspension. Dip and squat on acceleration is minimal compared to stock. Roll in the turns is much improved. The steering is much sharper (more accurate) than with stock. Overall, MUCH better. It's not a TL, but I am definitely enjoying the ride. I agree when others describe the handling as "European".

The Toyos give off a bit of a whine, but they have only less than 100 miles on them right now and i expect that to improve. Pics of the suspension itself are being uploaded even as we speak.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

The preview.....

The tires: Toyo Proxes 4

The boxed wheels

An unboxed wheel in black chrome/platinum/ebony chrome/whatever you want to call it

The actual LEFT suspension pieces. The one with the spring on it is the front, the one without is the rear. As you can see, they come in the box like this.

This is the rear spring, which is boxed separately.

The final result.

Other images of the final result will be in the Photograph Gallery.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Cruisin'

thanks for sharing Bob! car looks great and you will be amazed at the change with you add the tint. I have to the same color, aspec suspension (with out the 18 in rims)with a tint