Need Advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Need Advice please.

Hello Guys i want to thank you all for the help. I am currently running the OEM michelin 245/50/17 on the Rl. I have 40,000 miles and need to change them out to something similar but with better handling and performance. I live in CT so this will also be an all season tire for me in the snow as well.

I would like some advice in replacemt for the OEM tires. That would be great. Alos does the Aspec Kit for the Rl make it ride harder?

Last edited by Mr.Tea; 04-03-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
The A-Spec "body kit" will have no bearing on your ride quality. If you get the A-Spec "suspension" then, yes, your ride will be more firm.

Regarding tires, there are so many out there...I'm sure other's will chime in with suggestions.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:59 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would recommend the Toyo Proxes 4. These tires is an all season, M&S rated, ultra-high performance tire. Great handling at cornering and in dry or wet conditions, very little road noise, and very smooth ride. I had these tires for about 5k Miles and I love it.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Hey Mr. Tea,

I just purchased a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS for my RL. They are a inexpensive tire and they have great reviews on the various tire websites. Check 'em out, they are about $150 or so per tire.

Where are you getting your Acura serviced? Schaller over in Manchester is really good, the guys there are great.

Chris
Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by CFoote
Hey Mr. Tea,

I just purchased a set of Continental Extreme Contact DWS for my RL. They are a inexpensive tire and they have great reviews on the various tire websites. Check 'em out, they are about $150 or so per tire.

Where are you getting your Acura serviced? Schaller over in Manchester is really good, the guys there are great.

Chris
Where did you get the Conti DWS's? They've been sold out everywhere I've looked.

At least for 245/50 17
Old 04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Racer

Hey Mr. Tea,

Chris
How are you man, yes Schaller all the way they really do a good job. I was getting one tire replaced by the dealer free and i found another on ebay for $150.00 brand new. So the OEM will be on for now. I guess i will have to do a full set in a year or so. We should link up sometimes i go to the star-bucks down at buckland hill for a drink now and then. What color is your RL? may have seen you around. We need to arrange a little meet somewhere in CT with a few Jerk chicken wings and some cold Red Stripes! :-).
Old 04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I bogt Michelin Pilot Sport A/S last fall and I am REALLY impressed with them.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Mr. Tea, I ran my RL with Toyo Proxes 4 as well. This all season tire gave me excellent handling on dry and wet roads, and was also acceptable in light snow. "Acceptable" means that in an inch or two of snow, with careful driving, they got me around. I drove in deeper snow than that and they were very slippery starting out, but then once moving, SH-AWD did the rest. Braking in any all-season tire in winter conditions sucks and these were no exception. With any all-season tire in snow, you have to plan your stops well in advance.

All that said, I did like the tires and they lasted a little more than 21k miles for me, in the range of normal for a UHPAS tire.

I replaced them with Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S tires. Here's my Tire Rack review on those at 6000 miles

These tires were replacements for Toyo Proxes 4 in the same size. I was looking for a tire with longer treadwear than the Proxes, but with a similar level of wet and dry adhesion. The first thousand miles, I experienced the worst tread squirm I've ever noted on a tire. Luckily, I was able to burn this off in one trip. Once broken in, the grip was more than adequate for my needs. It was not quite as grippy in dry weather as the Proxes--not a surprise given the mission of these tires--but does far better in the wet, in snow, and on ice. Further, they are much quieter. By the time the Proxes were at this mileage, they were already starting to make noise; the Eagles are still quiet as a whisper. It is too early to comment on treadwear adequately, but I expect more than the 21k miles I was able to achieve with the very capable Proxes. No significant wear at this time, so better than expected. Bottom line: If you don't need ultimate grip, but still have enough to drive in a spirited fashion on a regular basis, can deal with severe tread squirm with new tires for almost 1k miles, and live somewhere you can get away with all-season tires all year round (I live in Cleveland, where the roads are plowed on a regular basis in winter, so I can), these tires are a good choice. I am, overall, pleased with my choice.
Were I to own an RL again, I'd buy a dedicated set of snows.

Last edited by neuronbob; 04-06-2010 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wackjum
Where did you get the Conti DWS's? They've been sold out everywhere I've looked.

At least for 245/50 17
I upgraded to a set of 2009 RL wheels, so I switched tire sizes. You are right, the DWS's are a pain to get right now, they are sold out everywhere, I got the last set from TireRack a few weeks ago. Continental is being stupid with their production...
Old 04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Mr.Tea
How are you man, yes Schaller all the way they really do a good job. I was getting one tire replaced by the dealer free and i found another on ebay for $150.00 brand new. So the OEM will be on for now. I guess i will have to do a full set in a year or so. We should link up sometimes i go to the star-bucks down at buckland hill for a drink now and then. What color is your RL? may have seen you around. We need to arrange a little meet somewhere in CT with a few Jerk chicken wings and some cold Red Stripes! :-).
Schaller is great, Dave, Brian or Joe will take good care of you over there, I bring them a few cases of Sam Adams every now and then, that's how good their service department is. They are really good to their customers.

OEMs are fine, use them until they are worn, no use in replacing a good tire with the prices on these things.

I'm totally up for a meet. The next month or two prove busy for me because I'm remodeling my bathroom after work + weekends, but I'm sure I'll see you on here so we'll make plans to get a group together soon.

Chris
Old 04-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Racer

Any thought on the Toyo Versado LX? VS the Michelin Sport AS? VS the Bridgestone Serenty.

I will finally have to change the tires afterall The one i bough off ebay has cracks alll around so i had to send it back. !!! S know i am forced to buy either of the three.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
I personally thing that is a poor comparison. Pilot's win for performance hands down. If you're lookingn for a gentle quiet ride, high mileage or something else and performance isn't that necessary...one of the two should be fine.

I'm riding on Pilot's and I think they're the best thing I bought to improve handling.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
037 is absolutely correct. You are comparing apples and oranges, Grand Touring All Season for the BS and Toyos, vs Ultra High Performance All Season for the Michelins.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Chas2
037 is absolutely correct. You are comparing apples and oranges, Grand Touring All Season for the BS and Toyos, vs Ultra High Performance All Season for the Michelins.
Ok, guys i am not too savvy in the tire department! These were the option given to me from a tire shop. I think the Pilots are a good choice. Does small cracks on the outside of a tire mean much?
Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Safety Car

Ok, guys i am not too savvy in the tire department! These were the option given to me from a tire shop. I think the Pilots are a good choice. Does small cracks on the outside of a tire mean much?
my guess is either old or used...probably not a good characteristic for a new tire.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 037
my guess is either old or used...probably not a good characteristic for a new tire.
Thnaks 037, How do you like the Ron Jon Rev Rims. i would like to purchase the Graphite Metallic. How much are the Sets? I might be upgrading to 18".

thanks
Old 04-09-2010, 05:05 AM
Safety Car

the rims are great, they are much lighter than my stock 18"s. 22.5lb vs 30lb for stock.

You can discuss pricing with RJ. www.ronjonwheels.com

I believe AZ members get a discount from what the site lists.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:30 PM
Racer

Mr. Tea, be careful man, Pilots are great tires but think about the winter...we get some nasty snow around here every once in a while Make sure you get a high performing all season tire. Check out www.tirerack.com for reviews and info.

Chris
Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Racer

Mr. Tea, be careful man, Pilots are great tires but think about the winter...we get some nasty snow around here every once in a while Make sure you get a high performing all season tire. Check out www.tirerack.com for reviews and info.

Chris
Thanks Chris, I thought the Pilots were All season tires?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Pilot A/S 35k on the first set 20k on the second and going strong. Outstanding in heavy snow and slush in Cleveland over the past 4 winters.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:07 AM
Safety Car

Thanks Chris, I thought the Pilots were All season tires?
Look at some sites such as the Tire Rack or Michelin to familiarize yourself with the products. There are many models of Pilot in different performance flavors. Some are all season, and some are not.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Chas2
Look at some sites such as the Tire Rack or Michelin to familiarize yourself with the products. There are many models of Pilot in different performance flavors. Some are all season, and some are not.
Good point, I shoudl have mentioned that I know there are some very high performance (Spring/Summer/Fall only) Pilots and then there are all season ones. Check around Mr. Tea, tires aren't cheap and you want the best you can get for your $$$
Old 04-15-2010, 11:47 AM
Racer

Good point, I shoudl have mentioned that I know there are some very high performance (Spring/Summer/Fall only) Pilots and then there are all season ones. Check around Mr. Tea, tires aren't cheap and you want the best you can get for your $$$
Just purchased a set of the Pilot sports A/S putting them on tomorrow.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
I love my Versados, much smoother and quieter than the OE tires.
They perform well in the rain... Unfortunately I haven't tried them in the snow.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Just purchased a set of the Pilot sports A/S putting them on tomorrow.

Thanks.
Good choice, they are universally well-regarded.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Good choice, they are universally well-regarded.
Thanks Ron. I hope i will get a little better performance and ride quality from these tires. I had the OEM mxm4 with about 40,000 miles on them. I was told that the Pilots A/S are a big differenceinterms of ride and handling.

Mr.Tea.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Racer

Re- PILOT A/S sport Tires

Got the Pilots put on yesterday they really make the ride and handling on the RL better. I am happy so far with the decision. I was wondering if i had to keep 36 psi in the tires as inflated by the shop

I wanted a little softer ride minus the bump i feel. Can I deflate the tires down to the 32/33psi that is noted on the side of the door or another reommended psi.

Thanks much.

Last edited by Mr.Tea; 04-17-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Safety Car

Recommended tire pressure is 32F30R. High speed (112 mph) driving is 36F35R. It is all in the owners manual. Start at the recommended and experiment higher (not lower), and keep the front higher pressure than the rear.

Regardless, several of us have found that 34F32R or higher sharpens the reflexes of the car, at a slight expense of ride. These are cold pressures. As you will see from TPMS, you can easily gain 4 to 6 psi depending on load, speed, ambient temperatures.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 PM
Racer

I have been running the Pilot Sport A/S for the past 5 days. They are a little on the bumpy side in terms of around town ride. Highway is great, cornering is great, grip is great just not as smooth as the MXM4 I am considering whether i should revert to my OEM tires. I like the soft ride but just wanted better cornering, which the A/S has. I have a 30 day test drive on these tires and will see what happens. i feel as if things as shaking up more in the RL with these tires. Should i be giving them a break in period to wear in a bit?
Old 05-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Racer

I have been running the Pilot Sport A/S for the past 5 days. They are a little on the bumpy side in terms of around town ride. Highway is great, cornering is great, grip is great just not as smooth as the MXM4 I am considering whether i should revert to my OEM tires. I like the soft ride but just wanted better cornering, which the A/S has. I have a 30 day test drive on these tires and will see what happens. i feel as if things as shaking up more in the RL with these tires. Should i be giving them a break in period to wear in a bit?
Did you check your tire pressure? Make sure they are not over inflated...

(nevermind -- I just saw your post above, you already lowered the air pressure a bit...)
Old 05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Racer

Did you check your tire pressure? Make sure they are not over inflated...

(nevermind -- I just saw your post above, you already lowered the air pressure a bit...)
Hey how are you C. I just went back to the Original Oem Tires got 4 new i love the ride.