nail in pax tire cost 200 to fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:13 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nail in pax tire cost 200 to fix

I had a nail in my pax tire last week and they, Acura of Oakland, charged me 200 dollars to repair the tire. Apparently a new tire is about 500, so this was the best option. They said the nail went through the inner core and so that had to be replace, plus new gel and the labor.. Ugh... this is ridiculous for a nail which can be plugged in a standard tire for $20. .. I know acura doesn't offer pax, but I would just say I would never ever consider a car with these tires. I had to take a day off work to get it fixed, because I cannot just go anywhere to fix it, and most places want you to leave the car, and it isn't like you plan for a nail. Uh, yeah next Tuesday I am going to have a nail in my tire, so make sure you have an appointment open for me. Never again..
Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Very interesting.

Would it hold air?
Were you able to drive on it the whole time?
If so, how long?
How did the car handle with a flat tire?
How did the MID act?
How far away was the nearest PAX capable dealer dealer?

Very few will continue to offer the tire system because it never caught on. Can you say TRX?
Old 05-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
For all the reasons you mentioned I de-paxed to the Aspec chrome wheels when my PAX tires were pretty well worn down (at 32K miles). CMBS and Adaptive cruise still work perfectly and weren't affected. The only downside is if I do get a flat the MID won't react properly, it will tell me I can drive for 100 miles at below 50MPH thinking I still have run flats. I can live with that.

I didn't want to get stranded on a road trip for days at a time waiting for a PAX tire replacement or trying desperately to find someone who could repair it. Going to de-PAX was only slightly more expensive than replacing the PAX tires anyway.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:54 AM
Instructor

You were lucky you have an Acura dealer who could repair the tire. Many (most?) do not even have the epuipment to do the job.

Makes me glad I bought a set of virtually new OEM stock take-offs on E-Bay. Four nails at $200 a pop and my standard wheels pay for themselves -- not to mention much lower replacement costs and serviceability at ANY tire dealer.

By the way, you might want to contact Michelin about reimbursement. Part of the settlement of the big class action suite was an extension of the Michelin warranty on PAX for an additional 36 months and XX,000 miles. You might be covered. Worth a phone call.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jackzilla
....By the way, you might want to contact Michelin about reimbursement. Part of the settlement of the big class action suite was an extension of the Michelin warranty on PAX for an additional 36 months and XX,000 miles. You might be covered. Worth a phone call.
Jack is right. The original warranty comes with an Assurance Plant that was free road hazard repair for 2 years or 50% treadwear:
http://www.michelinman.com/media/en-...axwarranty.pdf

Then Michelin may have extended it a result of the class action settlement:
http://www.sfmslaw.com/index.php
Old 05-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Racer

I got in the car to go to work and noticed the TPMS said my tire was flat so I drove to the Gas station on 0 psi and put air in it. It held air for about 1 hour. I did call michelin, and I as out of the 2 year warranty (standard) road hazard they give you, by 1 month. I don't think the class action settlement has been settled yet, so they aren't going to give me anything until the settlement is approved etc.. I will keep the receipt. This is my 3rd nail in 2 years, btw.. It is not my first. The first 2 were covered under the Michelin Road Hazard Warranty... still BS to have to pay so much for a simple nail. Yeah I have 2 dealers, Oakland Acura and Hayward Honda, nearby, that do the work but they are a pain in the ass and they charge too much..
Old 05-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Safety Car

Well, it is worth a try. The class action was settled Jan 7, 2009, so you are within the 180 day window
Old 05-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Safety Car

Interestingly, I just received my claim notice for PAX tires in the mail today!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:28 AM
Racer

I got mine in the mail too, but it says nothing about extending the Road Hazard warranty, per se. Only talks about extending the warranty on the tire and if the tire goes bad before 36k miles you can get a credit on new tires. I am already at 31k miles and my tires are still good, so I don't see this helping me much, except the other option for a spare tire kit or something.
Old 05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Safety Car

That may be. I have not yet read it over carefully.

I recall that the impetus for this suit was the Honda Odyssey Touring tires, the PAX version of the Energy LX4, which allegedly could wear on the shoulder to the point of needing replacement in as little as 20K miles.

I think the RL was thrown in for good measure. I, like you, have had good service out of these tires (no nails yet so knock on wood), and really cannot complain except when the time comes to replace them. The way they are wearing, I think they could go for 40K miles or more.

Then, do you spend $2000 to replace or go conventional? Despite Honda and Michelin advising against de PAXing, I have a set of conventional wheels and tires, and a spare, which I use in the summer, and will use eventually all year round when the PAX tires give up the ghost. It is too bad I will also have to give up the TPMS, but it will cost more to harvest them than to buy new.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Racer

I think conventional would be a good bet. I see the class action states that Honda has to treat cars that are "converted" as warranted, so if they are going to say that changing them keeps you in the warranty, then they are saying there is nothing really too bad that can come from changing them. If there was some major issue with changing them out, then they would not accept this as part of the class action, I believe... although I though PAX would be good, unfortunately I don't mind getting out and putting on a spare. I would rather do that then pay 200 a pop for a 20 nail plug... I mean really! I haven't researched the conversion, though I see there were lots of posts in the past... better yet get a new car sans the pax I got mine appraised for trade in, while I was getting my nail fixed and they offerred 25k for 30K miles on an 07.. not too great of a trade in price right now.. I paid 44k for tech/nav pax..it comes out to like ~700 or 800 month if I were to trade it in (44-25K / 24)..excluding the tax lic and interest.. just a simple calculation to get a general idea..
Old 05-06-2009, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on the following. Here's my dilemna:

-I have a 2006 RL (w the Tech package and PAX tires) and its coming off lease in three weeks.
-I have a nail in my driver-side rear tire that's too close to the sidewall for it to be repaired.
-There are no certified facilities near me that can even find a replacement tire or replace the tire for me (including both Acura dealers, who have washed their hands of the PAX problem).
-Even if they could replace it, I would need to replace ALL FOUR tires due to the tread depth differential that would be created by having only one new tire; this would damge the drive train for the all-wheel drive.
-The inspector is coming in 10 days to do the end-of-lease inspection.

Any suggestions from anyone out there, or has anyone had any similar experiences? Bad luck.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:00 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rmumby
I would appreciate any advice or thoughts on the following. Here's my dilemna:

-I have a 2006 RL (w the Tech package and PAX tires) and its coming off lease in three weeks.
-I have a nail in my driver-side rear tire that's too close to the sidewall for it to be repaired.
-There are no certified facilities near me that can even find a replacement tire or replace the tire for me (including both Acura dealers, who have washed their hands of the PAX problem).
-Even if they could replace it, I would need to replace ALL FOUR tires due to the tread depth differential that would be created by having only one new tire; this would damge the drive train for the all-wheel drive.
-The inspector is coming in 10 days to do the end-of-lease inspection.

Any suggestions from anyone out there, or has anyone had any similar experiences? Bad luck.
Advertise on this site that you are looking for a PAX tire. I know there are people that do have them in their garage.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Racer

I wouldn't even worry about that. Worn tires should be part of normal wear and tear. As long as the tire is filled,I am not sure the inspector will notice. They don't look that closely. I would not even mention it..