Getting rid of PAX

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Getting rid of PAX

I have the PAX wheels and tires and while I don't doubt they will perform as designed in the event of a puncture, it frightens me a bit that there aren't too many places that either sell or service them. I'd hate to be many miles from somewhere needing service only to find it isn't available. I'm also afraid of what it will cost once they need to be replaced.

Having said that, I have been thinking of switching away from the PAX. Other than the wheels and tires, I think I'd need the trunk spacer (styrofoam trunk insert), spare tire, 16 wheel nuts, set of wheel locks, and a few misc. parts. I looked in my trunk and it looks like it's all set for a spare (can't imagine Acura building two different floor pans), and my dealer said the standard wheels will fit on the hubs. I prices all of the parts (other than wheels and tires) out at about $550 and have the opportunity to get a set of take-off wheels (with tires, TPM valves, and center caps) for a good price.

Any thoughts?

LL
Old 01-27-2007, 03:29 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
I think you'd be the first on the board to do the switch. Others who have consisdered this are told by their dealers that they can't switch. There is simply too much inconsistency in what ACS and dealerships say about switching to non-PAX wheels, or adding A-Spec to PAX with or without the PAX wheels, etc.

They ought to know the answers to these questions with more certainty because so many people consider modifying their cars from factory spec, as you are considering.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
I have the PAX wheels and tires and while I don't doubt they will perform as designed in the event of a puncture, it frightens me a bit that there aren't too many places that either sell or service them. I'd hate to be many miles from somewhere needing service only to find it isn't available. I'm also afraid of what it will cost once they need to be replaced.

Having said that, I have been thinking of switching away from the PAX. Other than the wheels and tires, I think I'd need the trunk spacer (styrofoam trunk insert), spare tire, 16 wheel nuts, set of wheel locks, and a few misc. parts. I looked in my trunk and it looks like it's all set for a spare (can't imagine Acura building two different floor pans), and my dealer said the standard wheels will fit on the hubs. I prices all of the parts (other than wheels and tires) out at about $550 and have the opportunity to get a set of take-off wheels (with tires, TPM valves, and center caps) for a good price.

Any thoughts?

LL
Let me know how you do. I saw I just missed an opportunity for 4 A Spec wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for $2K in the same county that I live in. I guess I should explore the other parts of AZ, never looked at the For Sale section before. Live and learn.

I am really wondering how the different rear suspension pieces will work with non-PAX tires and wheels!