Est PAX tire life

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 12:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Est PAX tire life

I am struggling with the purchase of an RL with tech package, but the PAX tires are really bothering me.

I see negative feedback from 2005 Odyssey owners, and there a law firm gathering info for a class action law suit for RL tires.

How many miles do they last? I am guessing 20-25K? I have an old 2G Legend, and have gone through my 225 50 VR 16, every 20-25K.

I have an acquaintance that owns a Z4 and cursing every time he has a flat, $500 bucks a tire, three in two years.

I have seen data that the Odyssey wheel tire combo is $650 to replace, $190 for tire only, assuming you can find someone that can handle the PAX and has spares, which they usually do not.

Anyone have experience with tread wear and expected life?

Thanks
Old 11-23-2006, 04:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
I am struggling with the purchase of an RL with tech package, but the PAX tires are really bothering me.

I see negative feedback from 2005 Odyssey owners, and there a law firm gathering info for a class action law suit for RL tires.

How many miles do they last? I am guessing 20-25K? I have an old 2G Legend, and have gone through my 225 50 VR 16, every 20-25K.

I have an acquaintance that owns a Z4 and cursing every time he has a flat, $500 bucks a tire, three in two years.

I have seen data that the Odyssey wheel tire combo is $650 to replace, $190 for tire only, assuming you can find someone that can handle the PAX and has spares, which they usually do not.

Anyone have experience with tread wear and expected life?

Thanks
Idon't have any experience with the tread wear and life cause I didn't get the tech package. I was looking into it and was told by the dealer that it costs 700 to 1000 dollars to replace each tire because they have to replace the entire wheel.

I called Michelin and found out that is bull bu that alot of the dealers are misinformed. Michelin refunds the dealer for the wheel so the cost is much much less.

The problem is you have to find an install shop that can change and sell PAX tires. They appear to be few and far in between. The nearest shop I found is 50 miles from my house. The new tire replacement and install is $310. I didn't ask about repairing a flat. They said you should get no less wear on the PAX tire than you do on the NON Pax tires.

The Michelin Rep admitted that their support network never really developed like they had hoped to. That is why there are so few authorized installation and sales centers.

Hope this helps
Old 11-26-2006, 07:26 AM
Safety Car

I called up Michelin and a dealer.

Currently, if you have a flat, the dealer says you have to replace the entire wheel/tire assembly at $900! They currently have none in stock.

Michelin says no, they apologize for the misinformation. The Michelin warranty is two years, including road hazard, to 50% of tread life, then you have to do the pro rated thing.

Oh, by the way, he says, these are ultra high performance tires with an expected life of 10-12K, which are not a inherent to PAX, but a characteristic of all Michelin UHP tires, and probably most manufacturers out there.

If you have a flat, you call Michelin, and they direct you to a Michelin dealer, typically an independent tire shop that has the equipment to repair. If you cannot get to the dealer, they will strive to get you a new tire wheel combo in 12 hours.

By the way, look carefully at who is able to deal with PAX. If you use Google, you easily get to a list that has many Honda dealers, but the many Honda dealers listed as being able to deal with PAX, can only deal with Honda Odyssey PAX, and nothing more. You have to go to an independent tire shop with the PAX machinery and technicians.

Under warranty, they will ship new tire/wheel combo and you will be on the road ASAP, which is what the dealer meant.

If under pro rated portion of the warranty, and the wheel is in good condition, no damage, they will swap tire/wheel combo, and credit the dealer back with cost of the wheel and the polymer insert so you are only paying the pro rated cost of the rubber.

Out of warranty, you pay for only the cost of the rubber, but you will most like have to order 5-10 days in advance from an authorized PAX dealer.

Another alternative may be to get the tire/wheel combo swapped out at the dealer. If the wheel is in good condition, no damage, they will swap tire/wheel combo, and credit the dealer back with cost of the wheel and the polymer insert so you are only paying the cost of the rubber.

In sum, if you buy the PAX, you get a warranty, including road hazard, for about 5000 miles, then go into the pro ration part of the warranty. While the 24 month warranty sounds good, who drives only 2500 miles per year in a car that begs to be driven?
Old 11-30-2006, 07:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chas2
I called up Michelin and a dealer.

Currently, if you have a flat, the dealer says you have to replace the entire wheel/tire assembly at $900! They currently have none in stock.

Michelin says no, they apologize for the misinformation. The Michelin warranty is two years, including road hazard, to 50% of tread life, then you have to do the pro rated thing.

Oh, by the way, he says, these are ultra high performance tires with an expected life of 10-12K, which are not a inherent to PAX, but a characteristic of all Michelin UHP tires, and probably most manufacturers out there.

If you have a flat, you call Michelin, and they direct you to a Michelin dealer, typically an independent tire shop that has the equipment to repair. If you cannot get to the dealer, they will strive to get you a new tire wheel combo in 12 hours.

By the way, look carefully at who is able to deal with PAX. If you use Google, you easily get to a list that has many Honda dealers, but the many Honda dealers listed as being able to deal with PAX, can only deal with Honda Odyssey PAX, and nothing more. You have to go to an independent tire shop with the PAX machinery and technicians.

Under warranty, they will ship new tire/wheel combo and you will be on the road ASAP, which is what the dealer meant.

If under pro rated portion of the warranty, and the wheel is in good condition, no damage, they will swap tire/wheel combo, and credit the dealer back with cost of the wheel and the polymer insert so you are only paying the pro rated cost of the rubber.

Out of warranty, you pay for only the cost of the rubber, but you will most like have to order 5-10 days in advance from an authorized PAX dealer.

Another alternative may be to get the tire/wheel combo swapped out at the dealer. If the wheel is in good condition, no damage, they will swap tire/wheel combo, and credit the dealer back with cost of the wheel and the polymer insert so you are only paying the cost of the rubber.

In sum, if you buy the PAX, you get a warranty, including road hazard, for about 5000 miles, then go into the pro ration part of the warranty. While the 24 month warranty sounds good, who drives only 2500 miles per year in a car that begs to be driven?

PAX should be an option all by itself, as should the radar cruise...or just add radar cruise to all of the RL's....

PAX is why I did not get the tech pakage of 06. I don't regret that choice, especially reading this thread. My mind kept going to "what if I really like this car and keep in for 10 years. Will there be any PAX. I also prefer other brand options...etc. etc. etc.

Cool idea, though, pax most certainly is.

JB
Old 11-30-2006, 10:54 PM
sca
Cruisin'

Acura dealers can order and have a replacement in 24 hrs. most have one in stock to be prepared. We have four in our parts department and have not have any use yet in a whole year.
Old 12-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My dealer told me thye do not yet have the proper equipment to repair a PAX system tire and are just replacing them until they have the capability.

LL
Old 12-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I will debate the 10-12K mileage on the PAX. I currently have 20+, and they are holding up pretty well, I think I will be able to get 40K out of them at least.
Old 12-01-2006, 07:08 PM
Safety Car

Yours is the second I have seen citing much higher mileage experiences, which is good!

The Michelin agent told me the Pilot MXM4 was an ultra high performance tire. Upon reading the description in their web site, I actually don't see the Pilot MXM4 as UHP at all, but a Grand Touring type all season luxury tire. Just because it has Pilot name on it, does not mean it is ultra high performance.

I would call the Pilot Sport A/S the equivalent all season UHP, and as all tires of this type, that would have a lower life expectancy, although all the UHP all season tires I have run before (not on an RL) have had closer to a 20-25K lifespan in everyday driving.

I would hate to see how much a UHP Michelin PAX would cost per tire, if they even made them!
Old 12-01-2006, 10:10 PM
Pro

Yeah, and you know, even though they arent rated as ultra high performance, I think they perform great.
Seems to me that they have a stiffer sidewall and better footprint than standard tires, and I test drove an 06 without the pax, and to make the test standard, on both cars I had the VSA off, and I had disabled the extra radar stuff on the tech package turned off so that I could test drive both cars and see the handling of the tires. I thought the PAX tires were a better performer.
Its probably a combination of the lower amount of air in the tire (the pax has a donut filler in the center) and the slightly stiffer sidewall that gave it a sportier feeling, yet is still was cushy enough not to rattle my teeth like some low profile tires do.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PAX Tire Wear

I currently have 10,500 miles and the Tech Package. The PAX tires have been trouble-free and quieter than many other brand/model combinations that I have had on other cars in the past. Wear at 10k miles was good (had them checked at local Discount Tire who also services PAX) and if current wear continues then I'll get 30-40k miles from them. BTW - the Tech Pkg CMBS has already prevented one car/deer accident on a snowy evening but it does have trouble with heavy wet snow which can coat the send/recieve unit and then you get the off-line warning. Adaptive cruise control works perfectly and really makes my other cars a pain to drive as I sometimes forget and expect them to slow down and adapt to traffic conditions.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pax Tires

Here is Michilin website that you might want to look at regarding PAX system. http://www.michelinman.com/differenc...paxsystem.html The tires are rated treadware 300 which is what other tires are.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:29 PM
2014 SH Advance/2006 Tech

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I currently have 15k on my 06 RL and tires looks solid and I had them inspected by the dealer before this winter and tires looks perfect. The dealer said with the wear and tear I have he said I could squeeze at least 30-40K out of it easily........ I never felt any bumpy feel any time...
Old 12-12-2007, 05:07 PM
Safety Car

Same experience here on my 06.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:53 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
PAX over 14K and still look very good

My experience has been very positive thus far and I was skeptical when I got them. At over 14K the tires are quiet, wearing very well, and look like they'll go the 30-40K others are estimating. I marvel at all the negative things said about them primarily from folks who don't have them.

To me the only real negative is the impediment to getting some better looking wheels on the car.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:46 PM
Safety Car

Well I just found this link. I may be buying new tires and wheels after all. It says Michelin is giving up on further PAX development but will continue to service those so equipped.

Sigh....Another TRX...(I date myself...)

http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited...fx4339121.html
Old 12-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Pro

I just replaced mine at 36K, they had about another 2k before the wear bars were going to show, and besides they were getting slick for a the last 1k I was on them.
Expensive...$1500 at discount tire, and it takes a couple of hours.
However, the peace of mind is worth it.
Acura will have to come up with a solution after 10 years... which is what federal law mandates as the support period of a discontinued item on a car.
I presume it will have to be a sized rim, such as an 18" solution