Is chrome the only appropriate rim for the RL?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is chrome the only appropriate rim for the RL?

not to single out the RL but luxury cars in general. im considering getting a set of wheels. everyone i talk to about it says id be dumb not to get all chrome... what do you guys think?? im looking into a set of axis mods (which arent all chrome) http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels/mod/mod_01b.jpg
i know its all about what the individual person likes... but im just curious as to what you guys think.....
Old 07-27-2005, 12:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't think it has to be all about the chrome.... I happen to like those wheels. I think they would look great on the RL.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Drifting

im getting mixed reactions from people about the fitment of this wheel on the rl. i called axis just a minute ago and he said that those wheels will hit the brakes. yet another dealer told me the wheel will fit fine. another guy told me they wont fit if it has the upgraded brakes... how can i find out for sure?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:18 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Different strokes for different folks.

I can't stand chrome, but that's just me. I'd choose a satin or polished over chrome in a heartbeat.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Intermediate

I also don't like chrome at all.

I would also like to find out how to determine if a rim will clear the brakes. I am on the verge of ordering a set of OZ rims but I want to know for sure they will fit right....
Old 07-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Chrome is played out ! I don't like chrome either ! It reminds me of those god awful chrome spinner rims............
Old 07-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Marc S
not to single out the RL but luxury cars in general. im considering getting a set of wheels. everyone i talk to about it says id be dumb not to get all chrome... what do you guys think?? im looking into a set of axis mods (which arent all chrome) http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels/mod/mod_01b.jpg
i know its all about what the individual person likes... but im just curious as to what you guys think.....
Those look good. Chrome lips are really nice, but all chrome just looks stupid. Chrome Is like you are trying to do too much, but it doesn't look good.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
We have one set of Chrome 19" x 8.5 Devotions in stock from a cancelled order, PERFECTLY fitted to the RL, with lug holes drille3d just for the RL's special Lug nuts and it's compatible with the TPMS. Only two sets in existance and no more to be released. Ready to ship as of yesterday, so if you've everhad any questions, these are guarenteed to fit as good as stock.
http://www.ronjonwheels.com/devotion.html

Also we have the once piece versions due very soon for the RL in polished w/ clearcoat, NBP face with polsihed lip and SSM face with polished lip:
http://www.ronjonwheels.com/devotion1pf.html
Old 07-27-2005, 09:50 PM
Former Pedestrian

Originally Posted by Marc S
Personally, I'm not a big fan of all chrome wheelz ... Especially on the RL. Looking at the AXIS website, it doesn't even list the Mod as having the proper bolt pattern ... Do you have other info? If you check the WheelMax website, you'll see that the Mod is not listed as one that fitz the RL (and they do carry Axis wheelz). On a side note, there are a few similar wheels that do fit ... Some I'm considering myself. The worst part is some wheelz I've seen on the rack in a store look great ... But sitting next to my RL, I didn't care for them. Other wheelz that I dismissed on the rack, looked fantastic on the RL ... Too bad it didn't clear the brake caliper. This is a real tough decision.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:37 PM
Instructor

Well I'm going to chime in on this conversation with a differing opinion somewhat. Depending on the style of wheel and the color of the RL, chrome in my opinion does look good. The reason being are the chrome accents the RL has over the TL. I went chrome on my NBP TL and to be honest, was a little to bling for me, and if it wasn't for my upgrade into the RL, I was contemplating selling my chrome wheels and going with the aspec 18"TL wheels that were gunmetal.

Dark colors on the RL will look better with chrome than lets say the celestial Silver.
Even the 18" aspec wheels Acura offers for the RL, while not officially "Chrome" look pretty damn close and add a bit of "pop" to the look of the car. Now if someone wants to do a 300C look to the RL chrome style then no, it does not look good.

Since my RL is black, I would definitely go all chrome or the black wheel with a polished lip like the styles Ron has. I think that would look really good. I especially like the one piece style and depending on the price would definitely look at that as an option for my RL.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I think the pseudo chrome (black chrome) 18" Acura rims are classy and understated (not to blingy). I've seen another RL with polished black rims on it and they looked sic. Personally, I think the rim color depends totally on the body color. Black and Carbon Grey look great with gunmetal, chrome or the black chrome rims. I think the other colors would mix well with chrome or a flat silver, but each to his own.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:13 PM
Cruisin'

What do you think of my rims. They are the ASPEC in Platinum Gunmetal Finish.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759
Old 07-28-2005, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by atlantic
What do you think of my rims. They are the ASPEC in Platinum Gunmetal Finish.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759
Cool....looks good! What do you think of the Avon's? Get them from Tire Rack?

On a side note, did you ask the dealer to move the badging on the trunk or did they do that when A-Spec was added? What mods have you done?
Old 07-28-2005, 07:36 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gbriank
Cool....looks good! What do you think of the Avon's? Get them from Tire Rack?

On a side note, did you ask the dealer to move the badging on the trunk or did they do that when A-Spec was added? What mods have you done?
I got the Avon's from tire rack. So far, they have been great. As soon as I got them I noticed a huge difference from the OEM which were very loud and would screech & scream when I took sharp turns. The Avon's have great Dry Traction as well as Wet Traction. I am not sure about snow, but this is not important to me since I am in Florida. I really recommend these tires especially for the price (I think they were $142 each).

As for mods, I extended the chrome exhaust tips since they were hidden once I put on the underbody kit. Also, my dealer put the ASPEC badging so I told them to get rid of all their dealer logos and I also asked them to get rid of the ACURA badging and also told them to move the "RL" badge to be just above the "ASPEC" badge. I think it looks alot better but that's just my opinion.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by atlantic
I got the Avon's from tire rack. So far, they have been great. As soon as I got them I noticed a huge difference from the OEM which were very loud and would screech & scream when I took sharp turns. The Avon's have great Dry Traction as well as Wet Traction. I am not sure about snow, but this is not important to me since I am in Florida. I really recommend these tires especially for the price (I think they were $142 each).

As for mods, I extended the chrome exhaust tips since they were hidden once I put on the underbody kit. Also, my dealer put the ASPEC badging so I told them to get rid of all their dealer logos and I also asked them to get rid of the ACURA badging and also told them to move the "RL" badge to be just above the "ASPEC" badge. I think it looks alot better but that's just my opinion.
I agree....