2006 RL DePAXed

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
2006 RL DePAXed

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...view=slideshow
Update to getting rid of pax thread.

Replaced PAX with 18 inch Acura optional "chrome" wheels and Yokohama advan s4.
I can certainly say I like the Yokos a lot more than the michelins. The main gripe I had with the paxes is that they were harsh on broken pavement they just didnt seem to have the "give" of regular tires under those conditions. I guess that very broken pavement actually would reach the inner doughnut, or simply that their very heavy weight of the wheel was the culprit. regardless that issue is completely solved. As expected the larger wheel size and thinner tire provides significantly crisper turn in response. Comfort on smooth pavement is unchanged. The yoko does have significantly higher limits in turns but they can have some sreetch at the limit, however, they don't let go and are very progressive. Overall very satisfied, though the price of the whole deal is enough for some heartburn. The spare is 750 new (got it used for 350) in all it came out to 3750! Don't forget to check the picks
Old 07-24-2008, 08:52 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it is reprehensive to imagine that Acura won't compensate owners in the phasing out of these premium features. Even if they were to offer a set of OEM standard wheels and rims to replace the "failed experiment" --- one that you paid dearly for.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
i think it is reprehensive to imagine that Acura won't compensate owners in the phasing out of these premium features. Even if they were to offer a set of OEM standard wheels and rims to replace the "failed experiment" --- one that you paid dearly for.
You are preaching to the choir Their excuse is: "we continue to support the PAX system" of course no one, else is!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I am going to Summit Point, WV to a highway safety school with the RL. Get to play on the skid pad, accident avoidance, slalom, etc, to understand how the car works in extreme situations. One of the requirements was to get the car checked out in accordance with a checklist, and to change the brake fluid.

The guy that did it said, nice car, but you have got to do something with those tires. You are going to have to pay $400 a tire and not just anyone can do it.

I said, sigh, I know, I know. He thought I could get 4 good wheels and new tires for about $1600.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
You are preaching to the choir Their excuse is: "we continue to support the PAX system"
How lame!

Well, you are officially the first on the site (if wrong, I apologize) to have made the De-PAX move. Good on you! Enjoy.....

BTW, $3750 for everything?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:16 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by neuronbob
How lame!

Well, you are officially the first on the site (if wrong, I apologize) to have made the De-PAX move. Good on you! Enjoy.....

BTW, $3750 for everything?
Yep
At least the tires were already not very snow worthy so I can justify part of it. And its noticeble performance upgrade. The car is even more planted than before at very high speeds >100. When I take it out in the wet and the snow I'll report on the yoko's adeptness or lack of. They are pretty darned good in the dry, not as good as dedicated summer tires, but definitely better than the MXM.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Pro

One more thing. Today when I walked in, for the first time one of my colleagues remarked, damn thats a nice looking car (the car has been in the lot for 2 years). Personally I always thought that what made the RL a little homely was the OEM rims since the car otherwise is a "looker". I guess that little comment is definite proof!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:25 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I guess you paid dealer retail price for the rims? Not fair of Acura to not help out with replacing a failed feature of the car. I guess it comes down to so few PAX RLs were sold they can get away with abusing a few customers. But since they are 'saying' they support it, what can you do, what will happen in 2-3 years? Makes this version of the RL not really a long range road car.
Would hauling around the stock spare offer any advantages on a PAXed car?
I agree the stock rims drag down the look of the car, nicer rims really add to the car.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:13 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL06tech, do you notice any difference in the way the rear wheels react to bumps, irregular pavement, broken pavement, etc?. Does the rear react any differently in any way than with the PAX wheels/tires? I ask because the rear shocks are apparently the only difference PAX and non-PAX suspensions and I wonder if a shock change will be needed when I install the regular wheel set?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jackzilla
RL06tech, do you notice any difference in the way the rear wheels react to bumps, irregular pavement, broken pavement, etc?. Does the rear react any differently in any way than with the PAX wheels/tires? I ask because the rear shocks are apparently the only difference PAX and non-PAX suspensions and I wonder if a shock change will be needed when I install the regular wheel set?
Jack I dont notice any changes to comfort except what you would expect from a larger wheel/ thinner tire combo. The ride is ever so slightly stiffer but I don't think anyone that had not driven the car before would notice. The yokohamas are as quiet as the michelins. On cracked, potholed pavement IMO the ride is actually noticeably better, the PAX were kind of harsh in that type of pavement. AS far as handling is concerned I think it has been a noticeable improvement. The yokos have a nice deep growl when pushed to their limits but they dont break loose suddenly (as the MXM do). It it all works great with SHAWD. The tires are similar (not equal to) the handling characteristics of the michelin PS2 they just dont give up, they stick tenaciously and then break progressively, definitely superior performance for an all season tire. I'll hopefully have a chance to check them in the wet today. In my experience large outside treadblocks and a continous solid mid stripe are the key to a progressive tire it is akin to having part of the tire act as a "slick" unfortunately unless the rest of the tire is well designed it is also a mark of poor wet and snow performance.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Does anyone know if the spare from the Honda Odyssey or Ridegeline will fit the RL? It's a lot less expensive for those of us looking to de-PAX.

LL
Old 07-27-2008, 11:14 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lland
Does anyone know if the spare from the Honda Odyssey or Ridegeline will fit the RL? It's a lot less expensive for those of us looking to de-PAX.

LL
Because of the SH-AWD, the mini-spare has to be the same rolling circumference as the regular wheel and tire. If the spares for the Odyssey or Ridgeline happen to be the same circumference as an RL wheel and tire then they would probably work. My guess, since they cost less, is that they are smaller than the Acura RL mini-spare.

I bought an Acura RL mini'spare off E-bay. I was surprised to see, when I got it, that althugh quite thin, the aluminum rim and tire were the full size (rolling circumference) of a standard RL wheel and tire. That was when it dawned on me that any spare had to be of full circumference in order not to upset operation of the SH-AWD.

You are right that it is expensive as a replacement from Acura. Best bet is to start looking on E-bay and auto re-cycling sites -- they are available at considerably less than what Acura wants. Try lkqonline.com, they frequently have uses Acura wheels and spares, that's where I got mine.

Good luck.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks...I thought the price difference could have been due to aluminum vs. steel but I guess I'll keep an eye out for an RL spare.

LL
Old 07-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Pro

Because of the SH-AWD, the mini-spare has to be the same rolling circumference as the regular wheel and tire. If the spares for the Odyssey or Ridgeline happen to be the same circumference as an RL wheel and tire then they would probably work. My guess, since they cost less, is that they are smaller than the Acura RL mini-spare.

I bought an Acura RL mini'spare off E-bay. I was surprised to see, when I got it, that althugh quite thin, the aluminum rim and tire were the full size (rolling circumference) of a standard RL wheel and tire. That was when it dawned on me that any spare had to be of full circumference in order not to upset operation of the SH-AWD.

You are right that it is expensive as a replacement from Acura. Best bet is to start looking on E-bay and auto re-cycling sites -- they are available at considerably less than what Acura wants. Try lkqonline.com, they frequently have uses Acura wheels and spares, that's where I got mine.

Good luck.
Beware, the odyssey PAX rims will not fit the RL. The center hole is about 1 MM difference. I tried it in an effort to rotate the tires at home
Old 07-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Because of the SH-AWD, the mini-spare has to be the same rolling circumference as the regular wheel and tire.
O.K. how about the spare from the MDX or RDX? Both are 17x4 and about $35 (w/o tire).

LL
Old 07-28-2008, 01:11 PM
Instructor

O.K. how about the spare from the MDX or RDX? Both are 17x4 and about $35 (w/o tire).

LL
Can't answer that because I have no idea what the rolling circumference of these spares is. Keep in mind, though, that any spare has to have a VERY deep dish to be able to clear the large brake calipers on the RL fornt wheels. The Acura mini-spare has an unusually deep dish for just this reason.

Best way to be sure would be to try an MDX spare on the RL front axle.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

LL
RDX has a 5x114 bolt circle, so no deal there.

MDX has steel wheel, not alloy, which should not be a big deal except maybe in the weight department. The RL brake clearance, as always, is the question. You should be able to get the same sized RL spare on there if they are both 17 x 4 T's, so rolling diameter should not be an issue. But I have a feeling it will not clear the RL calipers