Was XM-refresh TSB performed, or have I been conned?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006 | 04:07 PM
Intermediate

Was XM-refresh TSB performed, or have I been conned?

I understand from reading this board that one characteristic of the XM-refresh fix included a disabling of the "Key Removed from Vehicle" warning message.

When I signed the contract to buy my RL in October, it was stipulated by the dealer that it would perform all TSB's, including the XM-refresh fix. I was told all TSB's had been performed when I took delivery 3 days later.

My RL frequently requires 10 or 15 seconds to refresh the track info, and I receive the "Key Removed" messages which can only be deleted through the diagnostic menu. This is not a change of behavior, since the car has always behaved this way since I took delivery.

My question is this: was the TSB performed, or did my dealer tell a fib? Or did the update "fail"? Is there any way to confirm whether the TSB was performed by checking an update code in the nav system, or by another method?
Old 01-12-2006 | 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

I am not sure if you can tell if the TSB has been performed or not - I don't remember if they were required to mark the car in any particular fashion. But, your symptoms basically say that they did not do the update - if they did, you would not have the 10-15 second delay. I would definitely go back and make them do the update. I don't know why dealers are so damn incompetent.
Old 01-18-2006 | 12:05 PM
Advanced

According to the TSB, the dealer is supposed to punch a hole above the seventh character of the VIN tag in the engine compartment. The TSB you're talking about is TSB-022. Based on your descriptions of the issues, the TSB was not applied.
Old 01-20-2006 | 03:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by RL_Cruizin
According to the TSB, the dealer is supposed to punch a hole above the seventh character of the VIN tag in the engine compartment. The TSB you're talking about is TSB-022. Based on your descriptions of the issues, the TSB was not applied.
I had my car in relating to the AWD/VSA today and had a discussion with the folks in the service department, citing evidence I learned from this forum that the TSB had not been performed. The dealership had it in their records the TSB's had been performed, but they did them again for me today while the car was in the shop on the unrelated issue. They just called to tell me it works properly now. We shall see when I pick the car up today.

Thanks fellow forum members for giving me the info needed to get this done!
Old 01-21-2006 | 07:14 AM
Dr. E in TN

Originally Posted by RLdriver
I had my car in relating to the AWD/VSA today and had a discussion with the folks in the service department, citing evidence I learned from this forum that the TSB had not been performed. The dealership had it in their records the TSB's had been performed, but they did them again for me today while the car was in the shop on the unrelated issue. They just called to tell me it works properly now. We shall see when I pick the car up today.

Thanks fellow forum members for giving me the info needed to get this done!
I hope your car works now. I believe absolutely that the updates had not been done. I had every one of the problems prior to the updates. Fortunateyl my dealer takes responsibility when something hasn't been done instead of blowing me off because they are too busy. If you pick your car up and it now works fine, don't let them off so easy. Let the service manager personally know that they have waisted your time and you don't appreciate it. You would be surprised how shocked people are in the service industry when you call them on there incompetent service. They absolutley love to blow people off and not have to deal with extra problems. I have seen this so many times. I have a customer service creed that I live by and never give in to incompetence: Expect people to be responsible and do more and they will do more; expect people to be incompetent and do less and they will do less. You ought to see the shock on service folks faces over the years when I ask them in a non-heated professional manner: "How are you going to compensate me for waisting my time?" You will be surprised at some of the answers you get, most of the time favorable.
Old 01-21-2006 | 02:19 PM
Intermediate

Well, I cannot honestly say that I notice any difference in the XM refresh performance, and upon my return home, I immediately tested the system by taking my key out of the car, shutting the driver door, and walking about 5 feet away. Result: the car beeps, and a warning message appears on the nav screen, which cannot be deleted except by the hidden diagnostic menu, as before. Can anybody point to an official source that indicates the warning message for the keyless remote is history following application of this TSB. I've read it here on the forum, but I take anectdotal evidence with a grain of salt.

The dealership, Rick Case in Plantation, FL, claims the TSB was done when I received my car in October. The claim they did it again yesterday while my car was in the shop for an AWD error message. They claim they spent an hour setting the radio up again.

The only difference I notice is that the pre-set channel descriptions (e.g. Deep Tracks, The 70's, etc.) do not appear unless I cycle through XM1 and XM2 hitting the XM button. In other words, the thing is "worse" than before. It's not a deal killer or anything, and it's not really soured me on the car at all, which I think is amazing. I suppose it's just the point that it should work.

I will take it back when I have the chance.
Old 01-21-2006 | 02:25 PM
Suzuka Master

I don't think there is an official source which shows that the message no longer shows up except that of everybody who had the TSBs done and the messages no longer showed up. I wouldn't bother going back to that dealer, go to another one, or call that one and say you want a regional tech to do the work on your car because they are incompetent.
Old 01-23-2006 | 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vp911
I don't think there is an official source which shows that the message no longer shows up except that of everybody who had the TSBs done and the messages no longer showed up. I wouldn't bother going back to that dealer, go to another one, or call that one and say you want a regional tech to do the work on your car because they are incompetent.
After driving the car over the weekend, I don't know what to think. But I'm not prepared to blame the dealership.

It seems that every second time I start the car, the XM updates instantaneously. The remainder of the time, it behaves as slowly as before. Obviously, my dealer did something, and it may be a glitchy control unit. I'll take it back and see what they can do. Weird.
Old 01-25-2006 | 03:21 PM
Racer

Did they punch a hole over your VIN number?
Old 01-27-2006 | 08:27 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Greg-ster
Did they punch a hole over your VIN number?
Where would I find the VIN plate where it would be punched? I'm assuming not the one on the dash, but one in the engine compartment. Can't see it anywhere. Where do I look?
Old 01-27-2006 | 11:21 AM
kgd
Instructor

I recently had all three TSB's done on my car while I was having some accessories installed. When they pulled up my history they saw the TSB's had not been applied and did them that day. They also replaced the battery. I did have a dead battery once about 2 months ago but just assumed the valet in our garage had not turned the car all the way off. I now believe there was something that was slowly draining the battery. I am hoping now that there are no problems and the battery should be fine.

To answer your key removed from the car question, mine was the same as yours prior to the TSB's. Now the car still beeps when I close the door if the keys are in it, but I no longer get a message on the Nav screen.

Kris