XM Radio Doesn't Work At Times

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XM Radio Doesn't Work At Times

The XM radio doesn't work at times, I'm trying to determine if the problem is a XM problem or a radio problem. At times there is no audio on XM, but everything comes up on the screen as normal (title,channel,singer and etc.). Sometimes you can turn off the car and restart and everything works fine. I called XM radio and they refreshed, but that did not help. AM,FM and CD works fine. Somestimes the XM works for days with no problems, sometimes the XM will not work for days. Any Ideas?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
Is this a problem that just started occurring?
What model year?
Are your windows tinted?
Old 01-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Yep, sounds like metallic tint... any navigation issues or interference?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:12 PM
Intermediate

No Tint, Navigation Works Fine
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you checked the connection to the xm receiver? It's in the trunk. Could be a cheap fix!
Old 01-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Deadhorse
The XM radio doesn't work at times, I'm trying to determine if the problem is a XM problem or a radio problem. At times there is no audio on XM, but everything comes up on the screen as normal (title,channel,singer and etc.). Sometimes you can turn off the car and restart and everything works fine. I called XM radio and they refreshed, but that did not help. AM,FM and CD works fine. Somestimes the XM works for days with no problems, sometimes the XM will not work for days. Any Ideas?
i've been having the same problem! Everything is breaking on my RL now. it's been just recent that its started to happen. XM will not work no audio/sound, but when you switch to disc or FM it works perfectly, and same with the navigation no problems or tinted windows.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
hmm - I have not listened to XM in a few days
Seems more than coincidence that 2 RLs having same problem
Will listen tomorrow
Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
I had the same issue two years ago and the problem was at the XM end. I kept recalling XM and they kept re-flashing my radio until the problem went away. It seemed like it took about four or five call and reflash episodes until the problem was corrected. I have not had a problem in the past two years.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 AM
Instructor

when i first bought the RL it had a weak battery, so the pour voltage was messing with the XM radio, so i called xm everyother day to have them refresh it. but when this was occuring i was getting only channels 0 & 1 which gave the xm code thats it, mind you i was already paying for the service. so it got to a point where i told the xm rep that i wanted to be reimbursed for the months that this was occuring, which was maybe 2 months. she ended up giving me one free month.

i then had the RL in for service and they tested the battery and found out that it was bad. so i had it replaced and XM worked perfect!

but with this new problem i know that the battery is not the culprit.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:47 PM
7th Gear

I might have the solution!

This happened to me about a month ago and three dealer visits all under warranty. Same symptoms as mentioned, they changed out my battery-did not fix it. After the third visit they found that the XM antenna wire running in the roof had bent and was only making intermittent connection. Took the techs a while to diagnose but they eventually figured it out. Everything is back to normal and I got a new battery. The navigation never showed signs of acting up, only XM. Hope this helps....Meanmerc
Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Intermediate

Last week I took the car to the dealer for the brake recall. I told the service writer about the problem with the XM radio. The XM radio was working perfectly at the dealership. The service writer said they would check out the XM radio. As the service writer started the car, he said the battery sounded weak. He said that they would check the battery. When I picked the car up, the service writer said that they could not find any problems with the XM radio. They felt it was a XM problem. He said the the battery failed and they replaced the battery (warranty). It has been eight days now and the XM radio has not missed a beat. Was the problem a weak battery?
Old 01-28-2016, 07:20 PM
3rd Gear

Dead XM

I just bought a used 2006 Acura MDX and am having the same issues with the XM radio. I called Sirius to reactivate the radio and have sent several refresh signals to it. It is still dead. It reads "XM antennae." The channels don't move so I can't even get it to channel one. Please someone help me.